Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jing would be a virgin until the epilogue. Nothing else changes. That's what it would look like.

Tribute

Arbiter
Has anyone referred to us using shaoxia while being genuine about it?

Off the top of my head, Zhou Dingqiu during the anti-pirate coalition meeting at his manor.

I recognized di as younger brother, but I thought older brother was ge? Am I just not up on my Chinese?

兄, or xiong. However, by itself it can be used by your peers, e.g. Xiahou Yu calling you Brother Xu, which would actually be Xu-xiong, or if it is someone older calling you Brother Xu, it becomes Xu-di.

From the stuff I've read and watched, it seems to be used mainly between males this way.

Ge (哥) is also used, but most of the examples I've seen have it used by females. So if Cao'er calls you Brother Jing, she's saying Jing-ge. Well, I can only work from the literature I read, and I've also seen people use both xiong and ge interchangeably regardless of the gender of the caller... so I don't actually know the etiquette rules for this stuff or if there is any in the first place, and you'll have to take it with a pinch of salt. :lol:

Any corrections would be welcome.
I'm not exactly a speaker myself, I've just done stuff like watch too many adaptations of Three Kingdoms (so I'm used to hearing Zhang Fei and Guan Yu say ge a lot. It's possible that standards have changed between the Han and Tang dynasties).

Tribute

Arbiter
Jing would be a virgin until the epilogue. Nothing else changes. That's what it would look like.
What, the Minamoto wouldn't get more screentime and Zhang Jue's Nippon Adventures wouldn't get its own spinoff show?

RealDDc

Learned
Hahahaha, I know! Totally agree, just speculating on what an ANIME version of this LP would look like. ;)
I still hope we'll see some fan art of this amazing CYOA at some point. Zhang wrestling another beast, Jing commanding the eternal flame, the hundret man battle, Cao'er and her inventions, Wangs epic outburst or just chilling in deep meditation.

There is always some exceptionally gifted pen or pixel artist somewhere. To bad I formyself can only paint a unproportional stickman. :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To Steal A Bride

You decide to be honest. “I am here to stop the wedding.” Bai Jiutian scowls, but he does not seem very surprised by your statement. “As I expected. Why are you doing this? Are you planning to run off with Miss Song?” You step back with your hands up, laughing. “What is this, an interrogation? Why do you care what I do?”

“You are splitting up a husband and wife with no good reason,” states Bai Jiutian. “No proper gentleman can stand by and watch that happen.”

“Yet you have not told on me to Mao Sanjiao.”

“I… had to make sure of your identity first.”

“Well, now you know it. Besides, I have a good reason for stopping the wedding. Do not tell me that you have not thought about it.”

“What is there to be concerned with?” Bai Jiutian bristles, his demeanour clearly hostile. You keep a careful watch on his hands, which are not anywhere near the hilt of his sword… at the moment. Tilting your head slightly, you say, “Surely you cannot believe that Miss Song is truly happy with this arrangement, deep down inside?”

“That does not matter, does it?” His expression betrays his displeasure despite his words. “As a woman, this is her duty. It is how she can best serve her sect. She will learn to be happy with the marriage in time.”

“As expected of the perfect gentleman! Even your opinions on marriage seem like you regurgitated it from some old civil treatise!” The Huashan swordsman flushes, glaring in response to your mockery. You ignore him and continue, “I don’t believe she should sacrifice her personal happiness. It has nothing to be with being a woman or a man. Besides, this is not the only way for Miss Song. She can always lead the sect herself – she did so once before. She does not have to marry Mao Sanjiao to keep it strong.”

Bai Jiutian reacts rather strongly to your words. “It has everything to do with being a woman, Xu Jing. She cannot hope to hold the sect together for long as a lone female. The world does not work that way.” You shrug dismissively, chuckling. “You are a traditionalist, it seems. Well, I have more faith in her than you do, then. She saved me once – I will not see her as someone weaker than me just because of her sex. I believe she can do it.” This seems to cause Bai to back down slightly – he appears to actually be considering your words. You make another push from another angle.

“Think about it. Right now Mao Sanjiao’s Qingcheng Sect is growing in strength from day to day. Do you think someone like him will really be content working with Huashan in the future? If we manage to get Miss Song to call off the marriage, we can kill two birds with one stone.”

“I am aware of that.” His eyes narrow, looking straight at you. “You seem to be very aware of his movements too.”

“Come on,” you laugh. “An old, devious coot like him? It’s clear as day.”

Bai Jiutian sighs, and finally nods his head. “Very well. For once you make a bit of sense. I must say that my master too is concerned with Mao Sanjiao’s actions recently. Perhaps it would be best to see what Miss Song truly thinks about this whole affair. How do you plan to go about it?”

You smile mischieviously. “Can you climb?”

You have Bai Jiutian go up first while you act as the look-out – somehow, you think Song Lingshu will be more appreciative to see his face at her window rather than yours. You hear him knock, and when the windows open there is a surprised gasp. After a while, he calls out in a whisper, “Come up!” You easily leap the height between the ground and the window, clambering over the sill. Song Lingshu closes the windows quickly and turns to the two of you. She does not seem to have changed much since you last saw her, though her hair is longer now and elaborately done up in a beautiful knot. There is a slightly more feminine touch about her as a result, and you can’t say you disapprove of it. “What are you thinking? Do you have any idea what is going to happen if you are discovered?”

Bai Jiutian looks away uncomfortably, while you grin and say, “I just missed you, that’s all. Hello, Miss Song.” She peers at you for a while, trying to identify you under your make-up. “That is Xu Jing,” says Bai disgustedly, as if he is loathe to pronounce your name. “O-oh! I thought he was a manservant of yours, Young Master Bai,” stammers an embarrassed Song Lingshu.

“So he’s who you turn into a blushing maiden for, eh?”

“Let us get this over with quickly, Xu Jing,” snaps Bai Jiutian. “No more empty words.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll cut straight to the point,” you say, giving in. You look at Song Lingshu seriously, gazing deep into her eyes and causing her to freeze up. “Miss Song.” Your tone is solemn and authoritative, and she responds uncertainly.

“Y-yes?”

“Do you really want to marry Mao Sanjiao?”

Song Lingshu frowns, folding her arms. “This again? Did Yifang put you up to this? I have told her before that what I want here is the prosperity of the sect that my father bequeathed to me.”

“He bequeathed it to you, not Mao.”

“There is no difference.”

“Do you really believe that? Is Mao Sanjiao really running the sect the way you want it?”

“I…” She falls silent, looking at the floor. You sigh. She is half-swayed thanks to her own misgivings and Yifang planting the seed of doubt in her mind earlier today, but the work is not yet complete. You have done plenty of talking today – glancing at Bai Jiutian, who has remained silent all this while, you call out to him. “Hey, you say something too.”

He seems reluctant to speak, but finally nods. “I do not want to admit it, but Xu Jing is right. The way Mao Sanjiao is expanding is too risky for the sect. It will attract greedy eyes. This cannot last, Miss Song. His way is wrong, and he only plans to use you to further legitimize his actions. If you think you can speak up and influence him after marriage, you are wrong. He is not that sort of man.”

Song Lingshu looks only at him, taking in every word. She begins nodding in agreement. You roll your eyes. Well, you suppose the difference in treatment is to be expected.

“Miss Song, I cannot let this marriage go through,” states Bai Jiutian as he approaches her. “Will you reconsider it?”

“Well, I suppose… if it’s you that is asking…” Song Lingshu glances away bashfully. “But isn’t it too late? What do you expect me to do?”

“You could run away with Young Master Bai here,” you offer cheerfully. “What? Xu Jing, you did not tell me about this!” exclaims Bai indignantly. He seems rather opposed to the idea. “I am not running away with Miss Song. That would be… well, that would be wrong, for one!”

“What’s the matter?” you taunt. “Are you not man enough to take a girl away from a forced marriage?” This insult finally cracks Bai Jiutian’s composure, and he grabs your collar, flustered. “Not a… Of course I’m a man! How could you even think otherwise? But I do not think running off is the correct idea! If you want to run away so much, why don’t you take the responsibility for it?”

“What do you propose to do then, Young Master Bai?” you ask, calmly prying his fingers away.

“W-well, it is simple. Just call off the marriage. Miss Song, just walk out there tomorrow, before the ceremony, and call it off.”

“That would probably split the sect,” you point out.

“In the long run, it is for the better,” replies Bai Jiutian.

“What happens afterwards?” asks Song Lingshu.

“You will have to gather the support of the sect to stand against Mao Sanjiao.”

You nod, and say, “You will be helping out with that, I presume?” Bai Jiutian looks aghast at the idea, as if it is utterly stupid. “Of course not. If I interfere openly with an internal matter of Qingcheng, it would look like Huashan has something to do with it!” Song Lingshu ponders the proposal for a while, scratching her head in an unmaidenly manner. “Look, I don’t think it is going to work out that easily. I just feel like Uncle Mao will try whatever he can to stay on top. They're not going to listen to my words that easily.”

“Can we convince any of the other Eight Sects’ members to support you publicly?” you ask.

“I wouldn’t know. I cannot leave this building to find out,” says Song Lingshu sadly.

“I doubt Taishan and Kunlun will be on your side. They sway where the wind goes,” remarks Bai Jiutian. “The new Beggar Chief, You, is a calculating and suspicious man. I would not approach him either.”

“What of Wudang and Shaolin?”

“They have only sent representatives, not the heads of their sects. They will be of no use,” says Bai flatly.

“That leaves Abbess Miaozhu of Emei, does it not?” You think her likeliness of helping would be rather high compared to the other sects, but it is still only one more voice. You look at Bai Jiutian again – he is the only other person with the clout to assist, thanks to his impeccable reputation in the jianghu. You may have to try and convince him to help speak up, if the plan is to succeed. Of course, no one is going to listen to you even if you try to say anything in public.

A. You ask Song Lingshu to call off the marriage publicly. You will try to gather whatever support you can; even if it is only Abbess Miaozhu and Bai Jiutian speaking out for Song Lingshu’s wishes. It is still possible that it could descend into violence if Mao Sanjiao and the other masters react poorly and claim things like Lingshu being misled by certain quarters to say such a thing: you will have to be prepared for the likelihood of a fight breaking out.

B. You will convince Song Lingshu to run off with you, since Bai Jiutian is not willing to take her. You will have her leave behind a message stating why she ran off, and that she does not approve of Mao Sanjiao’s leadership. Then, you will have to see how the Qingcheng Sect reacts as a whole; hopefully, they will begin to distance themselves from Mao Sanjiao, allowing Lingshu the opportunity to return and regain control.

C. You will convince Song Lingshu to run off, but you will stay behind even after she is gone - with Qilin's help, you will disguise yourself as the bride, veiled for the wedding. Your body shape does not match hers at all, but it does not matter; you doubt that with all that wine flowing, anyone will pay enough attention to notice right until the veil is drawn back.

D. This is not going to work out. You uncharacteristically lose your nerve for reasons unknown even to you and back out from the plan to have the wedding called off, suddenly afraid of the consequences. Perhaps it is just smarter not to cross all of these powerful people. They're really rather scary, and it would be better for you to run away and hide away from it all before things get worse.

1. Laxatives as a wedding gift.

2. No laxatives.

Azira - A1>x1
ScubaV - A1>A2
Akkudakku - A1>C1

TOME - A2
Jester - A2
skaraher - A2
Kashmir Slippers - A2
kazgar - A2

Smashing Axe - Ax
Ifeex - Ax>Bx

ERYFKRAD - B1>C1
Tribute - B1
Bloodshifter - B1
SirArvedeth - B1

Lambchop19 - B2>B1>Cx
The Brazilian Slaughter - B2
Tigranes - B2>B1
Elfberserker - B2>A2
Fangshi - B2
Baltika9 - B2
Esquilax - B2
Absinthe - B2>A2
Grimgravy - B2
Nevill - B2>C1
Rex Feral - B2>A2>B1>A1

Kipeci - Bx>Cx

Anabanana - C1>C2>Bx
XenomorphII - C1
Zero Credibility - C1>A1
profreshinal - C1>A2
Ganymede - C1
GreyViper - C1

Kz3r0 - C2

Final tally:

A1 – 3
A2 – 5
Ax – 2
B1 – 4
B2 – 11
Bx – 1
C1 – 6
C2 – 1

Post-flop:

A1 – 1
A2 – 8
B1 – 3
B2 – 12
C1 – 8
C2 – 1

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wouldn't everything be set in an anachronistic high school with the sects being student social cliques lead by enigmatic seniors? Each month the students would gather in the parking lot to see which sect reigned supreme.

Edit:
“What’s the matter?” you taunt. “Are you not man enough to take a girl away from a forced marriage?” This insult finally cracks Bai Jiutian’s composure, and he grabs your collar, flustered. “Not a… Of course I’m a man! How could you even think otherwise? But I do not think running off is the correct idea! If you want to run away so much, why don’t you take the responsibility for it?”

I can't stop laughing :lol:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wouldn't everything be set in an anachronistic high school with the sects being student social cliques lead by enigmatic seniors? Each month the students would gather in the parking lot to see which sect reigned supreme.

Nah, in that case the sects are clubs with a long, historic tradition and the heads of the sects are the club advisors / faculty, except for Wang Zhengchong, who is the principal.

Zhang Jue is the tough-ass, tattooed former biker turned school janitor that no one wants to fuck with while Xu Jing is the newcomer transfer student weakling turned confident badass under his brutal tutelage.

Anabanana

Augur
Of course I’m a man! How could you even think otherwise?

Suuuure, BJT-chan. ;)

Nah, in that case the sects are clubs with a long, historic tradition and the heads of the sects are the club advisors / faculty, except for Wang Zhengchong, who is the principal.

Zhang Jue is the tough-ass, tattooed former biker turned school janitor that no one wants to fuck with while Xu Jing is the newcomer transfer student weakling turned confident badass under his brutal tutelage.

I kinda really want to see this now. Zhang Juenitor the tattooed badass would be amazing.

Anyway, B1. Don't see why we should hang around longer than necessary.

C1 for MAXIMUM JING-BRIDE > B1

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

B1>C1 B2>B1>CX
Surprised Bai didn't take her, but I think he is merely playing hard to get.
Of course, my real vote is to kill Bai and kidnap her...

edit: Ok, threw C in there because I like it better than A and D. No way it could actuall work though, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:lol:

You cannot leave that option in without me voting for it..

A1
Goddamn pussies.. Alright, amended vote:
x1 See, it's not too important to me what option wins, as long as we use the LAXATIVES!!!

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ax

Sounds like a good way to besmirch BJ's reputation, and to stir more conflict amongst the sects.

A war amongst the sects is a good thing. It keeps them distracted and focused away from the Fire Cult and the scrolls we're after.

Also I see the fuck-it option has made a triumphant return with D

B does nothing to put BJ in the line of fire. It doesn't do much for us except delay the inevitable.

A stirs conflict amongst the sects, A weakens the position of our primary rival. In chaos we prosper.

Last edited:
Ok, putting that C option is just wrong. I can't resist being drawn to it - imagine him lifting the veil on the wedding and finding Jing. And then the laxatives kick in for everyone on the party while we make a break for it.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Oh god that C option, it's just so hard to resist:lol::lol::lol:

I am torn between A1 and B1.

In A1 we probably add lot of tension among eight sects and laxativies should put us in better positition. Hell, if we get bloodthirsty we might even kill either Mao or other or one of douchebag masters.

I still need to think cons and pro for B1 choice.

C1 A2>C1 for now, until I decide between A1 and B1 since it's so delicious trollish :incline:

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Can we have C1 as bonus update? It would be so glorious but I doubt it would be best for character.

If C actually wins, doesn't that mean we actually say, "I do." before he lifts the veil? If so, would we get "Wife of Mao Sanjiao" as a title?

Rex Feral

Prophet
You know shit is about to go down when treave gives you the option to run away like a coward.

Also

C. You will convince Song Lingshu to run off, but you will stay behind even after she is gone - with Qilin's help, you will disguise yourself as the bride, veiled for the wedding. Your body shape does not match hers at all, but it does not matter; you doubt that with all that wine flowing, anyone will pay enough attention to notice right until the veil is drawn back.

Dafuq? :what:

I guess it all goes down between A and B. However I don't trust the squad leader of the castration nuns that hunted us for about 2 years to suddenly begin to like us and support our idea.

So I'll go B2.

Ah, fuck it I'll spare no expense B1>A1>A2>B2

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C1. Shock and awe.

I can't run away while zhang manxing is in the building. That would be wrong.

Esquilax

Arcane

Zhang Jue is the terrifying gym teacher who imposes brutal Soviet-style lifting and conditioning regimens on his students.

Guo Fu would be the special ed kid who is bumped into regular classes because he is a star athlete and the principal is rather fond of him. Yu would be the brilliant nerd who harbors a crush on Chanfeng, an older girl with a wild reputation who got expelled from her previous school, which is coincidentally where Xu Jing transferred from. The Fire Cult would be a bunch of Iranian exchange students who nobody else likes because they never want to hang out with anyone else.

I have been playing around with the idea of moving the setting of Legend to 1970's New York, where it will be a blaxploitation flick. Xu Jing is Black Dynamite:

Ok, putting that C option is just wrong. I can't resist being drawn to it - imagine him lifting the veil on the wedding and finding Jing. And then the laxatives kick in for everyone on the party while we make a break for it.

It's absolutely wonderful. Mao Sanjiao's reputation would never recover from that. Xu Jing takes his bride from him, then kisses the groom as everyone in the wedding shits themselves? How would he ever live that down? :lol: People would be making jokes about an ugly woman being "as pretty as Mao Sanjiao's bride" for years to come. "This is worse than Mao Sanjiao's wedding" will be a figure of speech for all time because of this. treave, will Bai Jiutian know about the laxative portion of the plan? I'm assuming not.

That being said, I'm kinda reluctant to go through with this TOTALLY AWESOME THING because we now have to represent the Fire Cult and everything that we do, good and bad, reflects badly on them.

For that reason, I have to go with C1>A2. It's still funny because laxatives, and said laxatives ensure that a fight won't break out.

Last edited:

And why wouldn't we? Laxatives are a healthy alternative to a high fiber diet.:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom