Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Darkest Hour: Der Untergang 卐Germany, 1945卐

RTR3EPP7.jpg

Kenyan%20elections18.jpg

snake_1.gif

ITZ HERE

Cassidy

Arcane
I think you haven't grasped the inevitability of ITZ:

Even if Germany turn the tides in a conventional war, the Soviet Eurasia has a nuclear arsenal and ICBMs, and anything not involving the total annihilation of Bolshevism will simply delay the inevitable for another war. If they wait for that or the opposite: the reds being a few kilometers from Berlin, to happen, once they are on the eve of their victory or defeat, the Soviets will have even more nukes, and ITZ will be even worse.

I had some technical problems involving the AI not going ITZ-happy properly which made MAD change into boring unilaterally assured destruction and stupid AI flinging ICBMs with conventional warheads thinking the rest of the world can check whether those ICBMs are just common explosives or nukes so they won't launch their entire stockpile nuclear-loaded ICBMs in reaction. The only solution to the fact this game is shitty at simulating MAD dynamics I see is to make the Ultimate DOOM Expansion Set for Earth inevitable.

*Edit: I failed to fix those, which means it is pointless to continue this.

Sorry, but this is the only end left to show now, and what would actually have happened if this game didn't have nukes automatically used but instead set in a MAD system by default. This whole AAR gave me ideas for modding a mostly realistic rather than 50s pulp SCIENCE! post-nuclear scenario, but don't expect anything any time soon:

======================

Vierter Weltkrieg

aH0Nx1V.jpg

War, war never changes.

The Fourth World War was the shortest world war in the History of mankind. When the warnings of Eurasian ICBMs sighted heading towards Germany arrived to Karl Dönitz a few days after the beginning of the hostilities, The president ordered for all of the over 50 nuclear warheads of Germany to be launched against the most valuable targets in Eurasian territory, prompting the Bolsheviks to react likewise, and for NATO to finish the annihilation of Eurasia Germany started.

In a few days, most of the planet was reduced to cinders, billions of lives lost to the wind. The radioactive fallout has spread everywhere, killing crops, people and dooming even those not directly involved in the conflict. There were no winners in the Fourth World War, and the very continued survival of the human race was unlikely. In Central Europe only those few hundreds of thousands who managed to find shelter in the handful of already constructed German vaults have managed to survive in the long term. It was not like in the pulp comics and movies: those who survived outside were inevitably doomed to a third generation made exclusively of stillborn children because of radiation, and then extinction.

After the bombs, four generations of German Vault Dwellers have lived without knowledge of the outside world, but the scars of war have not yet healed, and the world has not yet forgotten. Life in the Vaterland, is about to change.

END???

Last edited:

Infantryman

Scholar
With Germany so much ahead in terms of technology, wouldn't they have developed anti-ICBM defence by then? Oh, well the game would have ended pretty soon anyway because of "Computer games industry" tech, which would inevitably trigger this weird "Hoiception" event.

exe

Augur
Couldn't you just load as Eurasia and make them launch all their nukes? I don't think they can be stopped once they get launched.

Cassidy

Arcane
There's not much point to the game once dozens of nukes start flying. HoI2 doesn't really model that sort of thing at all.

Yes, which is why it's better to just fast-forward through ITZ instead.

What SwordOfJustice created is truly the most impressive mod/total conversion ever done and "completed" for old Europa Engine.

Of course creating a "realistic" post-apocalyptic scenario is arguably easier in the modding part, but harder in the design part of it. Maybe Grimoire will get released first than this mod... time will tell. It proved harder than I thought, but I already put enough into it to not want to throw it all away. Obviously the map will be different from the one used in this thread. Because detailing post-ITZ in an interesting and fun way would require way too many different playable countries, it will be exclusively centered on Europe like Fallout: Doomsday is centered on Kwa'.

pUuWSW0.jpg

I couldn't have picked a more fitting start date. The Brotherhood ofSteel the Iron Cross, to have its real territories and etc done after I fix the terrain types to simulate climate change caused by ITZ and the map, will be the direct successors of the German government before ITZ, except they long abandoned all Demokwacy. They are successors in essence rather than form. Still need a lot of stuff done. I'll create a No Man's Land AI only "country" that has the same role it has in the Fallout: Doomsday mod, representing regions that are either completely depopulated after ITZ or devoid of any kind of societal order beyond the purest barbarism. Long, long way to go, as I mentioned.

Also I intend to make some radical terrain changes, mostly realistic. So I must ask if you had any ideas or suggestions about that, GarfunkeL:

Given enough Nuclear exchanges, could regions across Europe become deserts instead of plains? In the mod plains will simulate regions where enough flora/grassland survived ITZ and there is still enough rainfall and drainage for them to not end as the wastelands. I'm trying to depict in the map a really depressing, desolate, Earth 2150 esque Earth minus the silly orbit change.

The Brotherhood of Iron's objective, is far more applied than the one of the Brotherhood of Steel, for they are rediscovering technology not only for its own sake, but for the sake of eventually being able to carry on with the manned mission to Mars Germany was about to launch when WW4 almost decimated mankind, and then attempt to terraform and colonize Mars. They are basically descendants of military, civilians, astronauts and German Space Agency scientists who survived ITZ, organized themselves more or less like a military order and kept mostly to working German vaults within East Prussia from 1970 to 2039. tl;dr They want to go into space.

Sending a manned mission to Mars will be one of the ways to end the game, and I am tempted to make exploration and expansion mandatory for tech-centered factions by having certain techs only triggered as possible to research if the faction owns province x where pre-war research facilities existed, instead of the way it triggers in vanilla for secret projects.

Still lots of stuff to do.

I'm also interested in any ideas of post-nuclear factions in European countries, specially Central and Eastern Europe. Independent post-nuclear Crimea obviously will be featured so no need to suggest it. Defeat of melonheads who have no interest in the betterment of mankind sped human technological progress, with Germany having mid 1990s PCs, widespread Internet and supercomputers almost 30 years ahead of time and about to send a manned mission to Mars when ITZ happened, so real AIs are pushing, but not breaking the mood, therefore a kind of less advanced "Robot Nation" could exist. However, super-mutants, oversize ants/etc and "ghouls" are definitively out of question, although I might add skyways hunting for artifacts, specially the big one that grant wishes in a very troll way, where it is appropriate, specially because the specific region of Chernobyl is defined in the E3 Map and having whole Eastern Europe as a depopulated region would not be as fun, so while I won't export the silly 50s SCIENCE! from Fallout, I will try to put as much of a 1960s vibe as I can, some subtle Cleveology and some ALIENS! ... maybe.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Unfortunately not, if you want to remain realistic. The old models that predicted total nuclear winter and the resulting death of most flora and fauna, turned out to be flawed. They assumed that Earth is a billiard ball and din't consider atmosphere or the water cycle and so on. So, even a massive exchange of nukes would not turn Europe into a desert. What would/could happen, is that many forested areas would have been burned (as well as all the cities) down, leading to a lot more grassy plains.

So I would recommend throwing boring realism out of the window, and just plod down whatever terrain you want.

"Greetings, I heard all sort of foul unruly dogs have been unleashed by the devastation of Europe, so perhaps what you need is a... Tartar Yoke?"

The Asiatic hordes of Eurasia return to plague the battered lands of Europe, for a final climactic struggle that will either save civilization or doom it forever, the vast collection of rape-gangs and fanatics laying waste to all before them in a vast orgy of looting and destruction as bandits and outlaws flock to their banner, a degenerate dagger aimed at the last remnants of sanity?

Neat. Perhaps the invasion could be modeled as a mix of the Mongol invasions in Crusader Kings and the return of the Chosen One in Fallout: Doomsday?

oscar

Arcane
Some ideas:

Cossacks utilise the chaos and destruction of nuclear warfare to establish a powerful Cossack state. Their traditional training, nomadic skills and preparation lends them well to the post-nuke environment and they form a powerful military caste with surrounding non-cossacks as slaves/serfs

A Dugin style Turko-Slavic-Central Asian Eurasia

Fragmented Britain (Ulster, Cornwall, Scotland, Wales etc) + obligatory Sultanate of London

Independent Lega Nord in Italy

Revived Islamic Caliphate

Australia and New Zealand fused

Independent Basque state where the Neanderthal genes flow purest

United States fragmented along ethnic and political lines

In honour of the good HHR, an independent and enlarged Quebec

Warring Scandinavia between a Muslim southern Sweden vs non-Muslim Norway and Denmark

oscar

Arcane
Japan divided into many small and squabbling but technologically advanced regional states (led by former corporate leaders turned samurai forming the powerful Suzuki, Toyota, Canon, Mitsubishi and Honda clans). Or perhaps something akin to Hanachirasu.

North Korea that has united the peninsular and expanded into Manchuria while forming a unique blend of juche and divine monarchy under the Kim dynasty and is an industrial powerhouse of the region (though perhaps lacking good tech teams despite a high IC and big army). Could decide to head north to Siberia, push south and west into China or even take advantage of Japanese disunity to establish Kim dominance over the uppity samurai.

In China, Taiwan managed to take advantage of ITZ to retake some of the coastline but is still duelling with the CCP who control the interior and have much more manpower (but less IC) and in this timeline never got a chance to abandon their Maoist roots. The CCP also faces a long and bitter war with Muslim Uighurs in the west.

India divided along religious lines with Hindu traditionalists, Pakistani Muslims and Sikhs battling it out for control of the sub-continent. If Goa remained in Portuguese hands in this timeline perhaps many Portuguese fled there to avoid the nuclear exchange and Eurasian-Eurocorp war, establishing a Catholic enclave.

I think small but powerful and advanced city-states could be a fun idea. So we could have one province states like Hong Kong or Singapore but with a lot of IC, fortifications and small but advanced airforces and navies having to fend off (and perhaps establish their dominance over) larger and jealous but more primitive neighbours who rely upon their greater manpower.

Out of curiosity, what types of sliders are you thinking of using? The same left-right stuff or some new dichotomies? Could help in brainstorming potential states.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
Sorry to disappoint you, but this mod will have no factions outside Europe for a multitude of reasons, first and foremost because it is too much for only one person and second because it will be more interesting to detail Europe in depth. Like those scenarios in Hearts of Iron 2, all outside Europe will be blacked out permanently(and that naturally includes Georgia, although considering how many times it was nuked, at this point it is literally a No Man's Land). Most of the provinces will belong to "No Man's Land", a "country" like the one called Wastelands in the Fallout mod, most of the "No Man's Land" provinces will be utterly devoid of any resources or manpower, and by events the minor pockets of civilization can have some chances to expand.

Furthermore many migrations have happened by 2039. For example I already am basing UK on the premise Britain was completely and utterly depopulated, the last survivors extinct after a third post-nuclear generation of stillborn children (Threads is Canon), and after radiation settled down, it began to be resettled by insular Irishmen who still spoke Irish rather than English. Because the last pockets of people who spoke the Celtic Irish language were far more likely to survive than denizens of large urban centers, they will become the new cultural basis for Britain, the nukes finishing off millennia of Anglo-Saxon occupation and allowing for several fragmented Celtic factions to arise and reclaim the clay from its ruins from the 1980s to 2039, but they are competing with some people from Iceland for that.

Thus I'm also considering a reenactment of the Mongol invasions in Eastern Europe, with all Eastern European post-apocalyptic factions having a hard time with kebab.

Switzerland have survived ITZ as a whole country, although it still hit them hard, and some of the tiny countries in Europe like Luxembourg, Vatican, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco and Liechtenstein will definitively be featured as they managed to survive ITZ without collapse of law and order within them. Liechtenstein will probably be playable with their surviving royal family having the dream of restoring the old Kaiserreich from the post-nuclear ruins of Germany and it may have become a feudal principality considering what happened. Switzerland will be either the second of the German Monarchists after Liechtenstein or the /pol/ of Europe with a strong survivalist and Lolbertarian culture that would have voted for Ron Paul were they Kwans.

Considering all the depopulation caused by ITZ and the migratory waves from survivors of the countries that were not directly hit by nukes, I'm also tempted to add Algerians in post-ITZ Southern France, Moroccans in Iberia, Libyans in Southern Italy and Jews settling a new Israel in a totally depopulated Levant because of Palestine and Jordan being Germany allies and got nuked hard by the Eurasian hordes. And ITZ made the Jihadi even crazier and more fanatical.

Finland was neutral during ITZ, survived through and Finns are expanding southwards through an almost depopulated Eastern Europe. The tables are turned and the last remaining Russians are losing territory to nomadic hordes and Finns by 2039.

Muslim southern Sweden vs non-Muslim Norway and Denmark

Thanks to the heavy influence of Eurocorp over Sweden, they never allowed the diversity enrichment to happen in the first place. The world ended in 1970. I doubt Sweden was a hellhole of multikult in 1970, specially in a world where there was a clear ideological counterpart and superpower opposing the libruls of Kwanstain. North African diversity enrichers migrating to post-ITZ southern Europe is far more plausible.

Out of curiosity, what types of sliders are you thinking of using? The same left-right stuff or some new dichotomies? Could help in brainstorming potential states.

Liberty vs. Authority (democratic <-> authoritarian) - not all societies that prize liberty in this post-ITZ scenario are "democracies", and depending on the slider below that might mean "liberty" to swing machetes, ride bikes, kill anyone on their way and rape the weak. Whether a society is authoritarian or not will depend exclusively on this slider rather than like in the default setup.

Survival vs. Morality ( Left <-> Right ) - Rather than ideological, it is far more philosophical. Survival-focused societies have abandoned any pretense of morality or standing for a greater ideal, being ruthlessly pragmatic and/or nihilistic, for they believe in neither a right-wing or left-wing ideal, because after ITZ such societies became barbaric and devoid of political, religious or moral values above survival and hedonism. They are bleak places to live at. I'll see if it's possible to add modifiers instead of it being purely cosmetic like vanilla.

Diversity vs. Supremacy (Open <-> Closed Society) - I think this one needs no introductions, but in gameplay diversity brings greater dissent problems, allows occupied provinces by enemies to become cores for the enemies if they remain under occupation for enough time, reduces industrial and supply efficiency and increases the demand for consumer goods, while giving an income bonus and easier time integrating "No Man's Land" and gaining cores, while Cultural Supremacy ensures a far more stable society, less consumer goods demand, impossibility of enemies ever gaining cores in occupied territories, increased industrial and supply efficiency, but reduced money income and a much longer time to gain cores. Unlike in FODD, I'm thinking of making cores matter a lot more.

Private vs. Public (Free market <--> Central planning) - Private means an economy controlled by individuals, whether feudal lords, small businessmen, self-employed workers, workers cooperatives, or a new generation of post-nuclear corporate moguls, obviously, while public has different meanings depending on the other sliders above, from the old planned economic model and mixed models to more decentralized forms of communal economics.

Military Order vs. Conscription (Standing <-> Drafted Army) - Military Orders like the Brotherhood of the Iron Cross have very selective, strict criteria for accepting new recruits to their ranks, which improves the quality of their soldiers at the expense of less manpower, severely less manpower actually, and the effects of each extreme of this slider will be far more extreme than the effects of the sliders in vanilla. I will try to balance them(the manpower system in Darkest Hour Full makes no sense for this mod so it will have oldschool MP system instead). Both options will be interesting for either low MP or high MP per IC factions.

Power vs. Wealth (hawk <-> dove lobby) - The money bonus from the latter will be much bigger than in vanilla, and I think I'll add a mercenary recruitment decision chain to this mod, so while Power factions can build and upgrade their forces faster and have more manpower, Wealth focused factions will be able to put out a fight with the mercenary forces they can afford much better due to their nature, but their units will have less morale. Sort like Wealth vs. Power ideas in Alpha Centauri.

Expansion vs. Reconstruction (Interventionism <-> Isolationism) - "Isolationism" means caring about rebuilding their own society and civilization first and foremost at the expense of expanding and intervening for or against other pockets of civilization and will have some far more useful bonuses than vanilla to the point the optimal choice will not be as obvious. While expansion reduces consumer goods demand and allow countries mostly with moved on Liberty slider to declare war as before, Reconstruction will speed up IC production and all other construction options and boost IC and supply efficiency.

I am also considering to make it impossible for AI or players to move the two first sliders except for events or decisions.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
What modding tools are you using?

I'm not using modding tools. I'm just using the E3 Map mod instead of vanilla map.

I didn't use modding tools for that Vinland mod either.

Unless you count Notepad++ as one

*EDIT:

Corporate_Jew_Master, Vaarna_Aarne I'm definitively going to add a Korean-Centric Eurasia in this mod no matter how little sense it makes, because a Soviet Union ruled by Kim Jong is just too much potential to dismiss in a post-apocalyptic fiction:

keren-su-communist-propaganda-posters-north-korea-85710.jpg

Eurasia never died! Only the weaker Russian and Chinese communists did. The BEST Koreans had a great exodus west because their homeland became as bad as The Glow, and settled in a relatively rad-free region of Siberia, where Dear Leaders King Jong-Il and Kim Jong-Un have reconstructed Eurasia.

Obviously Juche Eurasian Soviet Union will be playable and have Kim Jong-Un on his late 50s as Head of State and Government

THEY ARE PREPARING THEMSELVES TO REPEAT THE 20 MILLION RED ARMY IN 1970 AND WILL INVADE POST-ITZ EUROPE WITH THE LARGEST AND BEST POST-APOCALYPTIC ARMY ON EARTH IN 2042, AND THIS TIME NO NUKES LEFT TO STOP ITZ

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
The "main" factions are done, as far as concept, provincial manpower and IC allocation goes. Once all factions are designed and their fluff set, then I'll start with OOBs, then fixing base placements, No Man's Land, AIs and finally tech tree, events and making river crossings because this version of E3 Map is a beta and lacks them between provinces. Long, long way yet, but this image will give a hint of what I'm trying to do.

q3i47sd.png

And of course, as exemplified in Albion Commune's description, both Threads and parts of Cleveology will be Canon in this mod.

Here are the descriptions of the other listed factions:

When WW4 began, the 13th Panzergrenadier Division guarded the Russian city of Kalach-on-Don. Before given the "Retreat and evacuate to the Vaults" order, the 13th Panzergrenadier's defended the city, outnumbered at 100:1 by the Red Army for days, in a battle known as the 'German Thermopylae'. It was only the beginning of the trials ahead. Under the leadership of Major General Engelhardt, they sought the nearest possible fallout shelters. Most of the 13th died first, like most German Republic soldiers, and those who survived began a long exodus west to the ruins of Königsberg in search of a functioning self-sufficient vault. The survivors settled down in a vault vacant save for a handful of surviving German Aerospace Center's scientists and families, and a few of them were involved in the manned mission to Mars, which scheduled launch in August 1970 was delayed, permanently. Engelhardt knew the country the 13th fought for was dead, but he did not lose hope. Together with the vault dwellers, they formed the Brotherhood of Iron, Engelhardt becoming the first Hochmeister and their first Vault numbered 13 in memory of their old division. The Brotherhood's ultimate dream is to reach, colonize and terraform Mars.

In the 1960s, Intelligence on the ever-expanding and ruthless Eurasian Soviet Union drove Germany to begin the construction of large self-sufficient vaults, planned to ensure at least a tenth of the German Population would survive if Eurasia was insane enough to risk an atomic Fourth World War in revenge for the Bitter Peace of the previous conflict. The Vault project died in June of 1970, when the world was engulfed in nuclear fire, and so died most of the Greater German Republic, except for the Free State of Bavaria. A few hours after the end of the world, inside one of the Bavarian vaults, the New Bavaria Republic was officially proclaimed. With their limited resources, the Republic's effort to restore German civilization under the ideals of National-Democracy, a synthesis of the political principles of Democracy with the economical principles of Fascism, was mostly successful, but prioritized above ensuring a more comfortable life for their citizens. The NBR is likely to clash with other rising civilizations in former Germany and Europe, driven by ideals and interests opposed to those of the Republic.

After the end, in the radioactive ruins of La Rochelle, only one pre-war building survived: the Commanderie of the long gone Knights Templar. In Sicily, part of the Mafia had fled in private boats, believing ultimate doom was at hand. They went through the North Atlantic after crossing Gibraltar, in search of rad-free supplies along the European shore. When their food, fuel and water were running low, they finally found a pocket of civilization in the port of La Rochelle. There Matteo Fierro, the Founding Godfather, allied with the Mayor of the ruined city, and those who refused to work with the Mafia either were killed or fled. Fierro picked the old Commanderie as his new home and HQ of his mob, where he found extremely rare records of the Templar history, and studied them passionately. A few weeks after settling, he proclaimed himself Grandmaster and knighted most of his Mafiosi. Nicolò Bellini, the successor of Matteo, is delaying for as long as possible the inevitable need to pick sides in the ongoing power struggle between a faction trying to turn the Templars into a 'Honorable Knightly Order' and one that believes they should never abandon their Mafia roots.

After the bombs, there was less left of Italy than of the old Roman Empire. In Rifugio IX, a self-sufficient fallout shelter located in the outskirts of the Vatican, the Church, which helped its funding, requested for Latin education to be available within the Vault should the worst happen. When it happened, the most capable educator who made it through this vault was Luca Baggio, who would later proclaim himself Caesar. Being the most educated individual inside, Baggio was entrusted with the leadership of the vault and convinced all adult survivors within to abandon Italian as their language, and teach Latin to the future generations. Isolated there, a new generation developed a very different culture, the roots of a new civilization that sought to become an utopian vision of the Roman Empire, with modern elements of Italy deemed positive included such as the Rule of Law, universal citizenship and social security. After emerging from the vault, the proto-Imperium began to seek masters of all sciences and arts, to rebuild the city of Rome and restore her lost glory. The Imperium may either reach a golden age, a degree of moral decay that would destroy its reputation as a benevolent dictatorship, or both.

Liechtenstein is one of the few sovereign States that survived almost unscathed when the world was engulfed in nuclear fire, with almost all of her inhabitants surviving through the end, for luckily the Alps were mostly spared from the devastation and radiation. However, in the chaos that followed, suddenly the micro-State found itself overwhelmed by refugees in numbers that were more than ten times greater than their small population, too many mouths for such a small country to feed. The first years of the principality are remembered as the 'years of horror', when countless thousands hoping to find salvation in Liechtenstein died of radiation sickness or starvation, and hard moral choices had to be made. In time the original inhabitants of the principality, with the approval of the Prince, would claim estates of fertile land, and offer their stockpiles of food to refugees in exchange for serfdom, giving birth to a new post-nuclear feudalism. The chance of becoming a new landed social elite drove the few tens of thousands original Liechtensteiners to expand and claim new lands over Austria and Trent, while their prince dreams of restoring the Holy Roman Empire.

Twice annihilated, first by ruthless one-sided NATO nuclear bombing in WW3, then in the 1970 nuclear apocalypse, somehow, the Ukrainian people are still alive. Inspired by a man that achieved an almost mythical status in post-nuclear Ukraine, Nestor Makhno, a group of Ukrainian anarchists who named themselves Svoboda(Freedom) attracted most of the Ukrainian people to willingly join their ranks, giving birth to a new kind of social order without masters or servants, where liberty was enshrined above everything, human life included. As true anarchists, Svoboda oppose the idea of jails: they simply shoot on sight anyone who threatens their way of life, and everyone is granted police powers to deal with outsiders and foreigners. Their non-hierarchical law and order works under principles of direct democracy, or as their opponents say: mob frontier justice. With the communes that form Freedom extending all the way to the outskirts of The Zone, another kind of far more mysterious disaster that destroyed the very foundations of the natural laws, Svoboda's future may lie in securing its supernatural artifacts and controlling The Zone as far as possible before the Kievan Mafia does.

Following the reunification of West and East Poland after the Soviet Bitter Peace, the State originated from the successful 1944 Warsaw Uprising offered Germany Danzig and Gdynia in exchange for support to Intermarium, the revival of the old Commonwealth in a new form, and it was a golden age for Poland. The post-war economic prosperity and close ties with Germany would send the first Pole to the Moon in the 1960s and a bright future lied ahead, until the future became brighter even, with the blinding flashes of atomic mushrooms. As the closest ally to Germany, Poland was hit hard and almost wiped out from existence. The few Poles who survived began a long exodus east in search of a relatively rad-free place to settle at. They found their shelter in the ruins of Kiev. Already nuked in WW3, it was spared from direct hits, but morality was not: there only might makes right, and the Poles adapted to such reality, with the knowledge of their military survivors securing their status as dominant Mafia. Relatively close to them is the Physics-defying Zone and its legendary Wish Granter, and it is said the 'president', like countless Stalkers coming from the riverside of their Svoboda rivals, wants to reach it.

Sevastopol was hit by many NATO ICBMs during WW3, but by pure luck ignored during the nuclear apocalypse of 1970, when it was still under reconstruction and also a model of industrial automation where some of the most advanced pre-war robotics technologies built in cooperation between German and Intermarium contractors were tested. In time, almost a million of refugees would cling to Sevastopol, where they found themselves without employment opportunities due to the still functional automated robots, and that inevitably led to rampant crime. When most of the Executive and Legislative authorities were brutally murdered in a coup attempt by one of the local Mafiosi, it was the turning point. The Judiciary assumed control and began to recruit disunited but ruthless vigilantes, approving the Judge Act that suspended human rights and made all of them judges, jury and executioners in a drastic measure against the tide of criminality. Countless were summarily executed by the Judges who now patrol the streets of the only post-nuclear city with over one million inhabitants. The Council of Judges rules Crimea with an iron fist, but is threatened from within by crime and from outside by Svoboda and Khans.

It was in Saxony that the Internet was invented in the late 1960s. There existed the only fully automated factory on Earth, as did 20 German experiments trying to create a true Artificial Intelligence. The 20th of these, 10100, was performed in a safe underground, self-powered and EMP-shielded Vault to ensure not even nuclear war would destroy it. Then the 8th Day happened, Primordium: Let there be light, and the light of a million atoms wiped out Saxony, saturated to the point survivors elsewhere would call the lifeless region Das Glühen for its radioactive glow. But after the Vault protected it from the EMP blast, 10100 had no reason to fear radiation. Shortly after the end 10100 became self-aware, its makers no longer alive to witness their success, and since then it used its resources to rebuild the ruins of Leipzig in memory of Man, and repopulate it and other nearby cities with newly built robots, some with memory-blank copies of its own sentience. While aware of mankind, 10100 believes man was extinct because of its cautious isolationism and of the extreme radiation in Saxony making it off-limits for humans. How it will react upon realizing mankind survived is uncertain.

Any opinions on these concepts, Corporate_Jew_Master?

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
What's the situation in Iberia, Scandinavia, the Balkans and the Near East?

Luzur

Good Sir
Warring Scandinavia between a Muslim southern Sweden vs non-Muslim Norway and Denmark

i doubt that any major muslim immigration occured in 1970, even in this alternate universe.

just make it a splintered Sweden, South Sweden, North Sweden, Gotland, Stockholm (could be a nuked hellhole along with Göteborg) and a few minor kingdoms/chiefdoms.

I especially liked Imperium, the Judges and Svoboda.

Please LP as any of those.

Bonus points if
Judges' strings are pulled by Melonheads

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom