Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Ultimate General: Gettysburg shows some footage

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Game-Labs LLC; Ultimate General: Gettysburg

And with some I mean 22 minutes of it. And of something rather unexpected. Ultimate General: Gettysburg is actually looking pretty good. Not just with a rather neat graphical style but also in showing off an AI that might show something of a character. Which is rather astounding for an automaton. It all reminds me a bit of Sid Meier's Gettysburg! as speed goes. Hope they'll tone it down a bit. Otherwise a lot more interested than I was before. Will we have something to rival classics like Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Civil War Generals II to look forward too? We'll see.

catfood

AGAIN
I played the demo of Sid Meyer's Gettysburg to death. This game looks like it's going to be right up my alley, gonna keep an eye on it.

kris

Arcane
Darn those troops must be exhausted and in disarray since they were sprinting constantly.

still I liked what I saw, apart from the frantic pace. While not well read on the battle, I am pretty sure it wasn't over in a couple of minutes.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Though the design of it is probably incomplete (unless they're going the iOS route), the UI is actually presenting a lot of information. Soldier numbers, tiredness, morale, etc. You can see it reflected in the unit cards when they flash different colors. I'm assuming the stars represent overall fighting effectiveness. My only qualm is that at one point a Confederate brigade had swarmed a few Union cannons, but was largely unable to drive them back. I feel like if a thousand men came upon about 150 or so, that 150 would abandon their cannon and flee altogether. The game definitely has some beautiful aesthetics.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

/looks a little too iOS

I'm seeing a deep PC game here, no iOS. The presentation shows the player exactly what's happening on the battlefield, without struggling a camera. Finally a game where you are not looking at some stupid piece of ground most of the time (SoW Gettysburg, most TW games ..), and instead command the battle. Also, fantastic sound!

Oarfish

Prophet
It's definitely an iOS / PC release. Wargames are popular on tablet, would be stupid not to

sser

Arcane
Developer
That was Willoughby Run which looks something like this:

Quarry12040850.jpg

Gettysburg took place in the Summer so I'd suspect most of the waterways, tributaries, creeks etc. were pretty low.

Darthmod bro seems to be vindicated.

7pVF6

Goddamn, those formations moving and getting delayed by rivers and ridges, those artillery strikes, stop attacking my dick.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darn those troops must be exhausted and in disarray since they were sprinting constantly.

still I liked what I saw, apart from the frantic pace. While not well read on the battle, I am pretty sure it wasn't over in a couple of minutes.
You can see the real time clock at the top, this portion of the battle takes a few hours.

Anyways, graphics look like shit, but the tactics look top notch.

Does anyone know if the game will support randomly generated scenarios?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's a shame I don't give a flying fuck about the american civil war. If this had been just about any other war, I'd be needing a spare change of pants.

AI looks pretty decent, but time will tell if it's just scripted for demo purposes. The aestetics are pleasant enough, but I cringed when soldiers warped through houses as they advanced through Gettysburg.

catfood

AGAIN
It's a shame I don't give a flying fuck about the american civil war. If this had been just about any other war, I'd be needing a spare change of pants.

I don't care about the american civil war either, but I was pleasently suprised by Sid Meier's Gettysburg. Well, the demo at any rate, plus I was like 12 when I played it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
It's definitely an iOS / PC release. Wargames are popular on tablet, would be stupid not to

And nothing wrong with it. Some of John Tiller's best titles are ported to tablet and these are amazing wargames.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Apps.html

I've been playing imperium galactica 2 on my ipad. :lol:

played this: good but awfully limited in scope (what is to be expected from a 1 man project really)
Can you elaborate?

Gettysburg only+skirmish, it's not a grand sweeping wargame.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I'm not a fan of the ACW either, but this actually looks pretty good. Pace might be a little too fast, but I love the FOW and terrain dynamics and I'm pretty much sold on the AI. Will get this after work and let you guys know what I think.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Moves way too fast and the map is small.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom