Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt SE will die completely, which is a shame.

Their franchises really could use a shake up instead of steadily pumping out shitty remake after remake.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SE is a sinking ship and the stock just went up a bit recently so Sony is looking to make as much of a profit out of this it as they can. Also unrelated, but according to a survey SE has some of the worst staff satisfaction out of the major Japanese game companies.

You think SE is done for and all hope is lost?

Square was done for the day they and Enix merged. It's pretty telling how the company's stock finally inclined a bit when they made a turn based RPG (Bravely Default). Even the people in the company are starting to realize that they have been making shit games for people who don't play video games and that isn't a good business strategy for the long term (Nintendo is learning that HARD with the WiiU). Square used to be a powerhouse studio that decided which console would be the lead platform and has become a redundant piece of shit that makes games that pander to ronery fetishists, although it remains to be seen if anything will be done about it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
SE is a sinking ship and the stock just went up a bit recently so Sony is looking to make as much of a profit out of this it as they can. Also unrelated, but according to a survey SE has some of the worst staff satisfaction out of the major Japanese game companies.

You think SE is done for and all hope is lost?

Square was done for the day they and Enix merged. It's pretty telling how the company's stock finally inclined a bit when they made a turn based RPG (Bravely Default). Even the people in the company are starting to realize that they have been making shit games for people who don't play video games and that isn't a good business strategy for the long term (Nintendo is learning that HARD with the WiiU). Square used to be a powerhouse studio that decided which console would be the lead platform and has become a redundant piece of shit that makes games that pander to ronery fetishists, although it remains to be seen if anything will be done about it.

And still nearly everyone responsible for the decline is from Square's side. Wada, Toryiama, Nomura, Nojima.... all ex-Square.

Rather than that it was a lot of different things that lead to change in direction. Say what you will about Sakaguchi, but the man had a good eye in bringing creative powerhouses together and managing them. Without him there would be no Final Fantasy Tactics.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I doubt the company is going down anytime soon. Once they announce a FFVII remake or update or whatever, that's when you should worry. They have this weird thing about remaking FFVII, like it would be admitting they couldn't do a better game. It would probably sell a ton and make a lot of money but they aren't desperate enough to do it yet. Which means they will still be around for awhile, I think.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
They have this weird thing about remaking FFVII, like it would be admitting they couldn't do a better game

FF7 remake will be the 'final' fantasy, like you said, either they will move on or go bankrupt. I will gladly accept the best FF in CGI like graphics with Sonys new VR, I can almost feel the emotions of holding dying Aeris in my hands as Cloud-kun. I want to experience the romantical relationship first hand.
Square you know you cannot do better than FF7 , just do it now and move on.FF7 is such a masterpiece because at that time and place, talented people joined under same banner and created their vision, something that is lost in todays enix.
FF7 is on my toplist of most replayed games along side with fallout and baldur's gate.

Malpercio

Arcane
FFVII remake would suck because 1) They would insert all the crazy shit from the compilation (hellooo Gackt) 2) FFVII was made with a particular style in mind, despite what all the 12 years old who watched AC think, the original FFVII was cheesy as fuck, with shit like the cross-dressing cloud, palmer getting hit by a truck, etc.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FFXV will do well, I think. This is despite the crappy FFXIII trilogy. Bravely Default did better than Square Enix had hoped for. The second game is under development and will likely be released in the West as there is a special secret trailer if you beat the secret ending. I'm hoping the sequel takes the job system and brave/default system and adds a better story and characters. It's promising that the female protagonist introduces herself as a ball buster.

Tomb Raider has probably made them nice money and the Hitman games sell decently. Don't know how the next Deus Ex game will turn out. I don't know how Thief did. All I know is that I will pick it up for $5 once it hits a STEAM sale.

Square Enix aren't doing great, but with a couple of games doing alright in sales, should see them bounce back.

We need another Sakaguchi to creativly build up a jrpg publisher/developer.

Sadly not really possible anymore since these are made by huge amount of people who are constantly observed by big nosed bosses. Kojima is probably one of the few who still have lot of influence.

Sakaguchi for example wrote every piece of dialogue for every character in FF 1, 2 and 3. Not possible today.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tetsuya Nomura is no longer directing the game. The director of Final Fantasy Type-0 now has that role.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sweet, this is what I have high expectations.
1. It should be that stuff from that teaser from several month ago.
2. It's done by A team, B team worked on FFXIII.
3. Main character isn't jerk for a change.
4. It might be something like FFXII without Vaan and Penelo.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sweet, this is what I have high expectations.
1. It should be that stuff from that teaser from several month ago.
2. It's done by A team, B team worked on FFXIII.
3. Main character isn't jerk for a change.
4. It might be something like FFXII without Vaan and Penelo.

2. This isn't the A team.
3. Just wait.
4. Why would you think that? Theres not exactly any team overlap.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I didn't see any of the trailers (or think about FFXV much at all) until this new one.

I choked on my coffee. Four people in black leathers with flamboyant Justin Bieber-tier hairdos, driving down a highway in a convertible, whining like children, and fighting Monster Hunter-style in rest stops and scenic overviews. This portion of the video sums up my reaction:

648430ef43.png

I'm 3/4 convinced they're Monster Hunter-ing it up on purpose.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Pros:
Music sounds great
Graphics look good
You get to drive an audi in-game

Cons:
Characters are emo teenagers
They talk like they are in an anime for 10 year olds
Combat looks weird but I am a total FF noob having played only VII so dunno how it works
Low amount of boobs for a japanese game so far

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I can't stop laughing. I don't know whether to appreciate it for that or to hate it.

They should make the game just about driving that car around and listening to the J-Rock stars whining. That would be better than Desert Bus.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They look and sound like dudes from a host club. Are the waifus any better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom