Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Army/faction/etc?

Imperial Guard because I like holding the line with basic grunts and then run shit over with huge-ass tanks.

baneblade2.jpg

:love:

I always preferred undead in ladder-match WC3 play, because of the way their relative strength was dictated by speed and timing - you're almost always faster than your opponent, but against each race there's only a few small time-frames in which you can win a standing fight, so it's all about the mental game of feinting, distracting the enemy, delaying the major confrontation until the point when you want it to occur (and at better levels of ladder play, throwing off your opponent's scent for what 'time-frame' you're aiming at getting dominance). It made for a much more interesting game than the other races, which were based on the traditional 'offensive'/'defensive'/'economy' paradigm.

L'ennui

Magister
I usually prefer factions that put emphasis on speed, targeted strikes, asymmetric warfare and stealth. Not too many games pull that off, unfortunately.

Either that or economic powerhouses.

Topher

Cipher
I'm a Guardsman man myself. Love the down to earth grunts up against some serious shit.

Anyway, In Dom3, for instance, I love Ulm and the Roman/Greek themed guys. I just enjoy basic grunts going against the odds and enjoy Roman or other European historical themes. Keep it down to earth for me.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bad guys are cool:
qw1UfwJ.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Kane-3,127768,original.jpeg

Stalin3.jpg

Pretty much this :love:WESTWOOD LIVES! THE WORLD WILL BE AWASH WITH THE BLOOD OF EA!

Plus undead when I can have them.
Plus Rome, when I can have it.
Plus Mankind if any of the above is not available. Bonus points if Mankind is full of bastards (hello there, Imperium of Man, United Earth Directorate and Terran Dominion).

Cadmus

Arcane
Dirty traitors, how do you justify playing the bad guys????
I liek the Americans and specifically the airforce commander in Generals. And I liek archer armies or archers in general, so Humans, Elves and Tower in Homam. I like glass canon armies and/or those who can dig in and just turtle for the majority of the game and watch the enemies break their necks on my defenses.
And I like classic stuff like knights and mages, no dirty orcsies or aliens, fuck that.

And I like powerful aircraft armies in general, but I hate how those are done in most games, so Generals is the bestest geasm.

Jester

Arbiter
Dirty traitors, how do you justify playing the bad guys????

Erm... Why would I need to justify it?
BECAUSE THEY ARE EVIL!!

I'm just kidding but you really don't have the innate need to play the good guys every time ?:)

Depends on several things, like who is good one. Sometimes opinion differs.
In C&C TS i see Nod as good guys, even if most people would disagree. They are controlling and leading most of world population and territory. Evolution of mankind is bonus, guess that's why i like Dead Space government and story.

Sometimes all sides are grey and that usually makes game somewhat better in my opinion. Dont recall any clear cut white and black game with did it in interesting way, always it feels like propaganda history book. Although would like to see game with use propaganda like in Starship Troopers franchise.

Hell i read somewhere that in one of Dune games if you fail as Atrides mentant you will end up fired, right before being taken by freemens for extraction of all your liquids. They are nice and honourable faction in setting.

If i remember correctly last Black & White thing was in heroes of might and magic II. Took evil throne pretender, always liked necromancers. Shame that they are really portrayed as good guys, other than usual "He was noble soul, but overwhelming forces of enemy forced him to use unholy magic. It later corrupted him into ruthless, honour less necrophil". Sometimes would like to see place where Necromancers are master healers skilled both in magic and medicine (surgery etc.), or police/millitary forces and people who can on whim set people on fire are considered potential threat. Doubt will see such game, although web comic, fanfictions or books give some hope.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Although would like to see game with use propaganda like in Starship Troopers franchise.
Minor example: the UED victory report cinematic at the end of the Brood War Terran campaign was inspired by Starship Troopers.

Jester

Arbiter
Although would like to see game with use propaganda like in Starship Troopers franchise.
Minor example: the UED victory report cinematic at the end of the Brood War Terran campaign was inspired by Starship Troopers.
Yeah remember that, loved the thing. Didnt know that it was based on ST, still when you pointed it it does "feel" like it.

i usually go for any undead, evil creature or world eater monster available.
evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Depends on the game.
In the EU games I prefer trading nations like the Dutch or Italians. In classical RTS games I have no real preference, I play all sides without much discrimination.
In wargames I usually end up playing the side that historically lost and try to perform better than the real-world commanders and generals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom