Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Avellion

Erudite
Of course you call Wizardry a piece of shit though. Seeing as you probably enjoy this shallow "press 2 to win" crap, I would be genuinely surprised if your brain didn't melt from playing any Wizardry game.
I'm guessing your experience of playing a Medic didn't improve at level 10 then :lol:
Only slightly. At least I have some healing spells now making soloing elites even easier than it was before.
I guess they took the "Levelling a healer is a pain in the ass" complaints a normal MMO would get a tad too close to heart.
Well, if I have to say something positive, a few of the tougher fights (read: elites) did lower my hp to roughly 50% hp. Which certainly beats the 80% hp remaining to no damage prior to level 10.

So that is an improvement.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Don't play it then, fucking oldfags. Go and play Wizardry 8 or whatever ancient piece of shit you class as a good game.
The whole problem with WS is that it is an "ancient piece of shit" with some (slightly) newer coat of paint on top.

Avellion

Erudite
The beta is pretty much over and I think I will list the pros and cons.

Pros.
+Some effort went into the housing
+Despite the offensively easy start, it does get more challenging later on. At least it has some slight resemblance of challenge unlike WoW where I could kill the majority of mobs before they would even reach me... as a Holy Paladin.
+From the looks of things, the raiding will not suck.

Cons.
-One of the worst starts I have experienced in any MMORPG
-Some of the later skills I found were ridiculously powerful, making the fact that mobs are stronger practically null. One of my spells inflicted not only a lot of damage but healed me (and nearby allies) for about 25% of their max hp as well.
-Same old, same old
-The looting system is retarded

Overall I would rate my experience with the game
:2/5:

But compared to other recent games in the genre, I would rate it a
:4/5:

Only get it if you are really bored, or have friends that are going to get it.

Angthoron

Arcane
-Some of the later skills I found were ridiculously powerful, making the fact that mobs are stronger practically null. One of my spells inflicted not only a lot of damage but healed me (and nearby allies) for about 25% of their max hp as well.
Wow. That's pretty broken right there.

-The looting system is retarded
Hm, not sure which aspect of it you mean, but it looks like group loot rolls are actually just completely broken at the moment. Made a greed roll on an item, friend did the same, neither won, woohoo.

But compared to other recent games in the genre, I would rate it a
:4/5:
Pretty much. It'll definitely find its audience in the people that are sick of 9 fucking months so far of raiding SoO in WoW (and what, another 5-6 months of same content until next expac?). Will prolly lose most of them when WoD comes out, but maybe not. They do seem to have some slightly better hooks than most WoW substitutes.

Avellion

Erudite
Hm, not sure which aspect of it you mean, but it looks like group loot rolls are actually just completely broken at the moment. Made a greed roll on an item, friend did the same, neither won, woohoo.
That is one of the issues, the other one is that loot flies all over the place, this is absolutely fine in an isometric game, but it felt really clunky for a game using the camera angle that WildStar did.

Pretty much. It'll definitely find its audience in the people that are sick of 9 fucking months so far of raiding SoO in WoW (and what, another 5-6 months of same content until next expac?). Will prolly lose most of them when WoD comes out, but maybe not. They do seem to have some slightly better hooks than most WoW substitutes.
Interesting how you mentioned WoW, because I am actually trying to convince a massive WoW fanboy I know to switch over to WildStar. I mean it may not be the greatest thing ever, but between WoW, its failed killers and WildStar. WildStar is probably the most tolerable of the bunch.

Angthoron

Arcane
That is one of the issues, the other one is that loot flies all over the place, this is absolutely fine in an isometric game, but it felt really clunky for a game using the camera angle that WildStar did.
I just spammed V for AoE loot. Sometimes the icon for it seems to stay up because interface bugs, but otherwise, yay.

Interesting how you mentioned WoW, because I am actually trying to convince a massive WoW fanboy I know to switch over to WildStar. I mean it may not be the greatest thing ever, but between WoW, its failed killers and WildStar. WildStar is probably the most tolerable of the bunch.
Remind him that there's still FIVE months of wait before WoD. Unless he's in an active hardcore raid group, that should kinda be enough. Blizzard seriously dropped the ball on the expac/content delivery again - and there's no upcoming complimentary lair or mini-raid or anything else for months to come. Quite ridiculous.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, logged in just now for getting boom boxes in case I decide to get this at some point. Ended up at beta ending event. Lots of death, lots of graphical freeze-ups, lots of people.

Avellion

Erudite
I just spammed V for AoE loot. Sometimes the icon for it seems to stay up because interface bugs, but otherwise, yay.
I tend to be more picky when looting, since I don't return to town nearly as much. It was kinda annoying when the game said my inventory was full when harvesting from nodes, yet I could loot it. Not a major issue, but it was still silly.

Remind him that there's still FIVE months of wait before WoD. Unless he's in an active hardcore raid group, that should kinda be enough. Blizzard seriously dropped the ball on the expac/content delivery again - and there's no upcoming complimentary lair or mini-raid or anything else for months to come. Quite ridiculous.
He is mostly RPing with some raiding now. Don't ask me why someone would RP in Chris Metzen's shitty lore.

But yes, I agree it is redicilous how Blizzard has gone so long without any actual content being added to a game, most devs would consider this unacceptable. Perhaps this is what a monopoly does to corporations.

Angthoron

Arcane
He is mostly RPing with some raiding now. Don't ask me why someone would RP in Chris Metzen's shitty lore.
Ah, I used to do that too, but that was like in Vanilla/BC era, when the player base was more behind the whole concept of "RP". After my break, I didn't find more than ten people worth spending my time on with roleplays, so that aspect has pretty much died out. Maybe there's Argent Dawn-EU, and something in the US though that sports a diverse enough population for that. Dunno. Lore has definitely gone to hell over the years, in any case.

Functional and highly customizable housing, how's that not a thing for an RPer?!

But yes, I agree it is redicilous how Blizzard has gone so long without any actual content being added to a game, most devs would consider this unacceptable. Perhaps this is what a monopoly does to corporations.
Seems to be something like that, yeah. I don't know what they're thinking - that everyone's busy playing Hearthstone, Diablo and SC2 and that ties them over for the next half a year, all the while paying for the WoW sub? Ah well. If they screw themselves over and end up the WoW killer, I would only give 'em a round of applause at this point.

Avellion

Erudite
Ah, I used to do that too, but that was like in Vanilla/BC era, when the player base was more behind the whole concept of "RP". After my break, I didn't find more than ten people worth spending my time on with roleplays, so that aspect has pretty much died out. Maybe there's Argent Dawn-EU, and something in the US though that sports a diverse enough population for that. Dunno. Lore has definitely gone to hell over the years, in any case.

Functional and highly customizable housing, how's that not a thing for an RPer?!
To be fair, that was before he got as bad as he is now. Speaking of which, no one seems to use lore friendly names anymore on RP servers and almost everyone seems to be related to one of the legendary heroes and those who arent are basicly Link, Cloud, Sephiroth, or some LoL hero inserted into WoW.

Speaking of which, seems like my several of my friends and classmates are getting the game, someone even has a WildStar t-shirt. Therefore I will probably get the game too, this time though I will make sure to select server and not join a non-english speaking PvE server. The (lack of) difficulty can be remedied the same way I remedied it in Guild Wars 2... did it all naked.

Angthoron

Arcane
Speaking of which, no one seems to use lore friendly names anymore on RP servers and almost everyone seems to be related to one of the legendary heroes and those who arent are basicly Link, Cloud, Sephiroth, or some LoL hero inserted into WoW.
Man, I remember when people used to laugh and ridicule people like that back in the days. "Vampire? You're a vampire? What the hell is that?" "Oh, you're a dragon? Wow, tell me more." "Prince of Stormwind? Ahahahaa" "Xaragornx? Get the fuck out of Goldshire, this place is for proper RP".

Speaking of which, seems like my several of my friends and classmates are getting the game, someone even has a WildStar t-shirt. Therefore I will probably get the game too, this time though I will make sure to select server and not join a non-english speaking PvE server.
Yeah, I'll probably end up landing on some EU-EN-RP server as usual as well. As long as the population is relatively high, RP servers tend to have a slightly better community overall.

Going on the EU EN RP server with a few buds of mine as well. Should provide a month or two of entertainment before I go back to being bored constantly again.... which is more than one can say for a single player game now a days. (With the exception of AoD. I fucking love AoD)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Don't play it then, fucking oldfags. Go and play Wizardry 8 or whatever ancient piece of shit you class as a good game.
The whole problem with WS is that it is an "ancient piece of shit" with some (slightly) newer coat of paint on top.
heeey, it's an NCsoft game! who would've thought?!

why do you think they can pump out these games so fast? a new MMORPG needs *at least* 5 years in the forge.

Angthoron

Arcane

why do you think they can pump out these games so fast? a new MMORPG needs *at least* 5 years in the forge.
Except NCsoft is a publisher, not a developer.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

So is EA. Carbine Studios is a subsidiary of NCSoft, claiming that this game is developed independently from NCSoft's say is laughable at best.

NCSoft is to MMORPGs what EA is to the rest of gaming.

Angthoron

Arcane

So is EA. Carbine Studios is a subsidiary of NCSoft, claiming that this game is developed independently from NCSoft's say is laughable at best.

NCSoft is to MMORPGs what EA is to the rest of gaming.
Won't argue that part. My point is, the release rate has little to do with NCsoft itself, rather with the schedule, budget and demands that NCsoft sets for their subsidiaries. It could've well been in the forge for 5 years, fuck if I know, I didn't follow Wildstar development.

Kinda glad I got to play the beta, since I completed all the content in the game currently and it will save me 60 bucks. Absolutely no intention of purchasing this.

Kinda glad I got to play the beta, since I completed all the content in the game currently and it will save me 60 bucks. Absolutely no intention of purchasing this.

img]

It really has nothing to do with trying to be grimdark or edgy. Quite simply, after dealing with the devs for this game for the better part of a year I have little to no faith they can produce a game that will keep me engaged. Maybe others will enjoy it, and more power to them.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
It really has nothing to do with trying to be grimdark or edgy. Quite simply, after dealing with the devs for this game for the better part of a year I have little to no faith they can produce a game that will keep me engaged. Maybe others will enjoy it, and more power to them.

You needed an entire year to figure that out? I just read the initial announcement!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

How was the endgame? Raids and shit?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So mocking a shit fur-fag MMO is now considered grimdark/edgy on the Codex?

Drakron

Arcane
So mocking a shit fur-fag MMO is now considered grimdark/edgy on the Codex?

Depends on how invested you are or should I say, selfdeluded into that.

Dont get me wrong, there are niches for everything but the clock is not going to go back to 2005 and nostalgia glasses are just that, pink and ignoring that back them you either said the game was shit or being a newfag thinking it was actually was good, that was not ... this is a reminder everything was always shit, ever.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

How was the endgame? Raids and shit?

It's raid, raid in sense that they're going to make a content catering to raiding elite guild runs. Not the sort that cater to casuals without voice chats.
I take no issue with the furfag cutesy art - or the comical look they went after - but reading what the 'Dev Vision' is focused on, I can scarcely believe people are hungry for a hardcore raiding experience in 2014.

If you want to be challenged and willing to find online friends to raid and organize a perfect run for achievements and shinies - go right ahead. I rather not.

I'll just quote the other forum that I frequent on their impressions of the game.

The whole thing is asinine. You're going to have WoW players coming in and getting their asses repeatedly handed to them in level 17 leveling dungeons then going to the forums to bitch, where the elitist wildstar cognoscenti will talk down to them, call them wow kiddies, and a battle royale will ensue. The ensuing flamewars will be amusing to watch from a sufficiently isolated safe distance, but they won't do Wildstar's commercial success any favors

Yes, there are 'dungeons' for you to run in there and level on at low level. I do recall that WoW has Dead Mines but it wasn't exactly hard - just that getting the people to form 5-man was tough post-launch.

I think it's brilliant. You release the content with a higher difficulty giving the hardcore fans the illusion that they are the target audience. You then reduce the difficulty AFTER the fanboys have consumed the content appeasing the masses and giving them something new to do a month or two later. It's a decent way to gatekeep content so long as you don't alienate the casual playerbase early on.

Anyway, dedicated raiders and people playing this shit for a challenge are such a tiny minority that game companies should just ignore them. Seriously, hardly anybody plays these games for that. We casuals want to cruise control to cool outfits. Games that bother consider the wants of the "games are serious business" players, let alone cater to them are doomed from the start.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom