Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Armaiti Dumplings in the former, latter turns out okay in comparison.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:lol:

Serious answer: Not in an impromptu fight with zero preparation, no.

edit: After double-checking the tallies, A VI VIII seems to have taken it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Hell yeah, we're actually learning something new. Now all I want is the Spenta Ormazd Great Skill and Dingdi Step and I'm ready to spam WQS again.

Esquilax

Arcane
Hell yeah, we're actually learning something new. Now all I want is the Spenta Ormazd Great Skill and Dingdi Step and I'm ready to spam WQS again.

Oh man, the voter drama in the next training session will set record levels, I can feel it now. Maniac Training II will have nothing on this. We'll see what our circumstances are like; if the Sword Saint has any tips to give us (provided we don't die at the Conference *knock on wood*), then that's something to consider. I'm crossing my fingers for another opportunity to learn from Lord Zhang, but I'm probably expecting too much there. On another note, Taiji seems to be a simple skill with an incredible amount of depth - it's gonna require a whole lot more time if we want some of Big Wang's matrix moves. I'd be fine with going back to Wuxiang Qiankun Skill at least partially next time solely because of what the MYSTARY boosts have provided us.

We'll see what sort of options we have then, but there's no doubt in my mind that we'll have a bunch of tough choices. My motivation in improving other techniques was that it would serve us better in the Conference. And, like a bunch of other people, I was sick of all WQS, all the time.

Ganymede

Learned
Minds are going to be blown when they check the character sheet.

It rhymes with plus one gourds

ChumBucket

Augur
+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords+1swords!!!!!!!

Esquilax

Arcane
Minds are going to be blown when they check the character sheet.

It rhymes with plus one gourds
+1 turds?

+1 fjords, actually. We spent most of the down time in between training sessions going river rafting with Guo Fu and Zhang Jue.

Speaking of Guo Fu, I wonder what technique he'll decide to pick up. His physical abilities mean that the Shouwang Claws are perfect for him, but I'm not sure that such a gentle guy will go for a brutal maiming technique.

And of course he goes with the Chuzhan Fist to deepen his understanding of Taiji.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Yeah Guo Fu was bit of surprise with Chuzhan fist. I figured that he would have picked Reikan, but Chuzhan fist does suit him since it's straight foward. I wonder if we will finally start developing that move.

Surprisingly Yifang picks up Yuhe finger, Miss Song our Kenjutsu style and Yunzi didn't get last style of our leg technique.

Instead She pick Dong fisting tech.:mhd:

ChumBucket

Augur
Chuzhan fist makes perfect sense, as we probably finally field tested it against taiji fist. I would be interested to know the result of that experiment.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Qilin:
Zhenhan Bingshuang Kicks
Yunzi:
Dongjie Fist
I don't remember encountering the names of these techniques before, let alone what they do.

Would be interesting to know their purpose and how they compare to our own techs. Wonder who they belond to, too. The kicks are probably Yunzi's.

tropic

Scholar
I am seriously impressed by the number and depth of techniques.

Lion's Roar is undeniably awesome but Taiji + Dingdi still would have been SO good together.

Esquilax

Arcane
Lion's Roar is undeniably awesome but Taiji + Dingdi still would have been SO good together.

I was kinda thinking Fiery Eye of the Serpent-Tyrant + Taiji. The PER boost from Master Zhang's technique seems like it would mesh really well with Taiji Fist/Sword, though obviously this is a much more offensive combination than Dingdi + Taiji. Though of course I might be biased - might have to do with the fact that I wrote "EYE LASERS YOU CUNTS!!!" multiple times on each page.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Roadside Swordfight

The journey to Yangzhou proves relatively uneventful. You take the time to practice with Guo Fu and Master Zhang, broadening your martial arts base. The art of Taiji fits in well with your ability to separate your chaotic qi, and soon you have absorbed all that Guo Fu can impart to you. The rest would have to come from your own experiences and understanding. The others had not been idle, either. Xuezi had decided to throw out a few tidbits of information from her repository of knowledge; she’s been in a good mood for a while now. Qilin, Cao’er and Yunzi each learned a close combat technique from her. Yifang studied the Yuhe Finger with her sister, while Lingshu adapted the Minamoto sword technique with your help. It would still be more efficient with an actual wodao, but it was sufficient for her needs as a secondary sword style to complement her own techniques. Armaiti had borrowed one of Xuxian’s notes from you, practicing the Yiyang Finger.

On the way, you had expected Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai to attack again, but surprisingly enough, they do not appear. Perhaps they are waiting for the Ten Swords Conference. You take the chance to ask Shun and Gao Ying about them, and if they had heard anything from Chief Jiang regarding the child hostages.

“He is still working on it,” says Gao Ying. “Though the constables have managed to identify the location of the children, retrieving them is a different matter. They are being kept in the Zhang mansion itself, in Chang’an. It will not be an easy task.”

“The constables do have the clout to storm the place and generally make a mess of things. I arranged it so that they would have that power from a legal perspective,” quips Shun, “but I think if hostages are at stake, we must tread more carefully. I am on the verge of getting their patron Grand Eunuch under my thumb, as with all the others. Don’t worry, Jing. We will succeed.”

You raise an eyebrow. “Should you be out here gallivanting in the countryside, then, Your Majesty?”

“I have to pay attention to my personal power once in a while, you know. Li Shimin, Emperor Taizong, was an exemplary general and warrior himself. The nobles respect power at the end of a sword. Given that the influence of martial arts has only expanded over the years, it behooves me to take an interest in any important jianghu events… particularly ones that might ill influence the state of the nation.” He chuckles. “Really, it’s a wonder I don’t worry more about one of these people who can single-handedly destroy entire companies of soldiers suddenly deciding to overthrow me and put my head on the palace walls.”

“This is why we make alliances and create contingency plans, Your Majesty.” Gao Ying bows his head.

“Besides, anyone coming after you would have to go through me first, Shun,” you say brightly.

“The sentiment is appreciated, but you can’t be by my side all the time now, can you? What with the Fire Temple and all,” Shun smiles at you slyly.

“Yes, there’s that… wait, when did you find out?”

“It was pretty obvious to me. No matter. If we play our cards right, I can declare a general amnesty for the Fire Temple. They too can be of use. Just stay sharp for any opportunities to serve the country and I’ll have my excuse,” he grins.

It was not long after that, that you received a pigeon from the Fire Temple in response to your letter. You decided to open it together with Yunzi and Armaiti.

“It’s smudged,” mutters Armaiti. “It looks like someone spilled wine all over it.”

“Well, parts of it are still readable, at least,” says Yunzi. “Now, let’s see…”

From what you could make out of the letter, the Amesha Spenta back at the temple are quite pleased that you had found the Holy Maiden and established ties with Shaolin. ‘When the time is right, strike while their back is turned, Lord Xu,’ suggests Manah. There is also a bit about Kunlun’s fire medicine that you cannot fully understand thanks to the smudges, but it seems that they have made some headway there. Finally, at the very end of the letter, there is a strongly worded reminder from Haurvatat that the Holy Maiden must remain chaste until the night of the wedding, and Ameretat has added a scribble saying that should the Fire Lord feel any uncontrollable urges, he should feel free to break in the Amesha of Earth instead.

Yunzi rips up the letter and lights it on fire, and Armaiti helps her bury the ashes in the ground.

A few hours away from the city, Guo Fu and his family depart your company temporarily: they are to meet up with his Wudang brethren at Shijie Village before entering Yangzhou. Seeing him off, the rest of you press on. It does not take long, however, before you have an encounter that feels rather random to you. Hearing the sounds of fighting coming from ahead of you, you gesture at Shun to stay where he is while you head cautiously towards the battle.

It is Taishan. You recognize the leader of Taishan, Su Cheng; he is engaged in battle along with one of his disciples against a swordsman wearing a painted opera mask. Behind them, the Taishan Seven are watching the fight nervously. What draws your attention most, however, is the slim, blood-red sword of the masked man.

“That would be the Chixiao Sword,” says Master Zhang as he echoes your thoughts. “And that Taishan disciple is wielding the Tai’e Sword,” he continues, pointing out the bronze-coloured blade forged in a classical style.

“I would have thought that the master would have been wielding it.”

“Perhaps he has his reasons… but that does not matter.” Master Zhang’s lips widen in a smile as he watches the fierce swordfight. “Which one of us should take this round?”

“Are you that interested, master?” Looking more closely at the masked man, you ask, “Could that sheathed sword be another of the Great Swords?”

“It seems likely, but we will not know which it is until it is drawn. Well, standing here just talking is beginning to bore me. What will you do, my disciple?”

“Are you really willing to let me take this fight?”

“I can wait for the main dish. I am a patient man.” He is probably talking about the Sword Saint, who is likely the only person among the Ten Swords that can pique Master Zhang’s interest. “Still,” he continues, “if you want to take this fight, I have one condition.”

“Another one of your lessons, master?”

“Use only your Yuchang Sword in the battle, and only the sword techniques you have learnt. That is all.”

It looks like he wants you to test your sword skills in a real fight. “What if I get pressured and accidentally use another move?”

“There will be punishment,” he states simply. “But I do not expect that to happen with your current level of ability.”

He may be taking things a bit too lightly: down there is a master of one of the Eight Sects, a disciple who he has deemed worthy of wielding the sect’s treasure, as well as a swordsman who could fend them both off. Besides that, the Taishan Seven are also waiting in the wings. It is not a very safe situation. In fact, the rest of your companions seem content to wait it out, except for Yifang and Lingshu, who seem to want to help the Taishan pugilists as an orthodox knee-jerk reflex, and Yunzi, who is tapping her foot impatiently.

A. You back out and let Master Zhang handle it. You’d like to see him cut loose once in a while, and it’s likely to end up with him claiming whatever Great Swords they have from their mutilated corpses. Of course, your reputation with your companions is not likely to be improved by this action, but you think it is worth it.

B. You enter the fight on the side of the Taishan pugilists. Perhaps this could be a chance for you to repair your relationship with them.

C. You enter the fight on the side of the masked man. You have no love for the orthodox sects, and it is two-on-one at the moment.

D. You enter the fight to mess with the both of them. If you are going to fight, you might as well really challenge yourself at the same time.

E. You call on Yifang and Lingshu to side with the Taishan pugilists, while you and Yunzi will join and try to side with the masked man just for the kick of it.

1. You use Wuxiang Qiankun.

2. You don’t use Wuxiang Qiankun.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
E1 is strangely tempting.
E1> D1

Also that letter oh wow... and that poor guy is STILL drinking himself senseless.

We have to get maximum Junzi points!

Kipeci

Arcane
I would love to see Zhang Jue in action, but we should definitely push ourselves and also practice WQS to make up for that we didn't bother studying it at all this past round. I'll go with E1>D1.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Master Zhang is the best master for letting us to choose to fight or not to fight, despite the him loving the battles.

It's hard choice. We haven't heard anyone bad mouthing the Kunlun master other than he is part of douchebag generation.

Going for E2 now. I don't want to disobey Zhang Jue

Last edited:

tropic

Scholar
So many glorious options.

E2!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom