Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Maybe so, but I think this question is about what Jing cares about the most. And I think "those that I love" is still too spread out for that.

Considering the backstory, there is only one person, really.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
We shouldn't have denied our true nature. Anyway, I. This is about who Jing is now. Not who he was.

I (phone vote) though for the swords is quite tempting

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wouldn't it be funny if it worked like this;

The previous sword demon chose "SWORDS", and turned into a being that absorbed swords into itself.
Jing chooses "THE ONES I LOVE" and start absorbing them into his bloated body.

Hilarious, no? :troll:

In any case, I also vote I
This whole adventure started with Jing doing everything he could to help his friend, master and brother.
During the adventure, he has evolved into a being that loves not just his emperor and master, but other people as well, and those he loves he fights to protect.

I feel option I meshes best with Jing's character.

Good arguments for H :salute:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Who he was is a story that seeped into every life since. It is why the heavens curse him now. Anything other than J would cheapen the events of that life.

The prince laughs. “Yet you get much the same scores as I do. I was just reading in about the traditions of the Ashina. Very interesting people. Do you remember the meaning of stepping onto her horse?”

“Do you have to remind me about that?” you grumble, your bladder pounding. But he was still your prince and best friend, and you would sit here and listen to him finish even if it meant pissing blood. “It was just some way to say ‘I love you’ in Tujue style, right?”

“It’s like declaring a personal pledge to stay together for eternity, Jing. It’s promising the stars and the moon for their love. The nomads may have many quirks, but hyperbole in their romantic life is not one of them. That is why it is very, very rarely attempted, and only when a person is truly serious.”

And I think in our decisions Yunzi has been one girl we've gone out of our way for the most. Jing cares about Qilin/Cao'er/etc. too, but Yunzi has been the only girl Jing has actively pursued all story long. The other girls had to pursue him.

Tribute

Arbiter
Maybe so, but I think this question is about what Jing cares about the most. And I think "those that I love" is still too spread out for that.

Considering the backstory, there is only one person, really.
And who is that one person? Yunzi? I'd say he loves Qilin, Cao'er, Zhang Jue, and probably Shun as much, in various ways. Yunzi may have been the only girl for him at one point, but that changed in the caves with Yang Xue.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hahahaha.

Not quite. I just like the update that treave wrote then and I would be loathe to break consistency with it.

Feels like it would damage the story.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Oh god this is how the CYOA dies. Not with epic martial arts action but with WAIFU wars... we should have run off with LORD Zhang long ago...

:negative:

Ganymede

Learned
Every time Jing's been forced to choose, he's given aid to whoever has the greatest need at the time. The reason he helped out Yunzi right at the start was not because of true love, but because of this:
Shadow Wolf
Your duty is to the prince, but the prince is safe and sound with the Duke and his soldiers.
Yunzi snarls and her whip lashes out. The woman in black snares it from the air casually without even blinking her eyes, the whip smoking and crumbling in her vice-like grip.
“Excellent spirit,” coos the woman. “You remind me of myself. I think I will take you back, whether you like it or not.”
If it had been the Prince in trouble and the girl safe and sound, then the vote would have gone the other way.

At the Hundred Man Battle he put his ass on the line, going in on the side of some random pirates solely to avert a massacre.

The reason he took up with Zhang Jue was to protect people.
The Southern Maniac
C.
You reluctantly agree to go with Zhang Jue, attempting to negotiate your release from Master Yao’s service so that he may leave safely with Cao'er. If he agrees, you will swear an oath of personal debt towards the Killer Physician in gratitude.

And then at Heihu Valley when the fact the people were going to die came up, people he didn't know and had every reason to oppose, the vote is overwhelmingly for Jing to sweep in and save them. Even when the battle hangs in the balance and Yunzi is fighting for her life.
Black Tiger Valley
D.
A group of Taishan and Kunlun disciples are easily beating back some junior Fire Cult fighters – it looks like there may be some deaths involved soon.
2. You join the side of the Fire Cult.

Jing has tried to do good by everyone he's met, not to the point of being a naive fool in the face of villains like Zhang Manxing or the Black Dragons. But I suspect if they were rendered feeble and desperate he'd try to save them (if only for the comedic value.) If you want proof of this sentiment look no further than Xuezi, the immortal child bitch-queen and terror of the pugilstic world, who Jing has practically adopted because she's helpless.

The Killer Physician

Qilin and the Wudu Cult

Shun and his father

Jixuian Wuni and the Tibetan Princess

Song Lingshu

Armaiti

Bai Jiutan

Xuixan

Zuo Qingfeng and You Lanhai

Even this fight just now with the Sword Demon, where Jing risks his life and sanity for a group of people who hate him. There was no one he loved in the Zhou clan manor, but they were depending on him to stop the Sword Demon, so if life and sanity is what it takes then that's what it takes. No regrets.

H > I

The way I see it H is stronger, but I is still perfectly valid based on the strength of this line:
Impermanent Way of the Chaotic World
You close your eye, seeing nothing but the light through your eyelid, hearing nothing but the roar of the flames. Your skin begins to redden, peel and char, but you shut out all thoughts from your mind but one: You will not see them again if you fail here. That thought, somehow, calms you down, and you begin to understand what you have to do.

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, I'm convinced. It is finally time for Xu Jing to complete his transition from YOLOTIGER to RESPONSIBILITIGER. Flopped to H

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, there was the hundred man battle too. We can't reasonably say that Jing loved the people he was fighting for then.

Last edited:
Yeah, RealDDc, Zero Credibility, and Anabanana haven't posted in a while. Best to get their thoughts on this for the sake of fairness. However...
Err, I'm afraid haven't been paying much attention to this. I've read the updates linked on the first page but I'm not sure what happened in between. What did we vote for and did it get us killed again? Did we have another rollback or something?

Absinthe

Arcane
No rollback. Jing got possessed by a demon. The current vote is going to determine how it turns out.

You were being asked whether or not you wanted to PRAY but right now there is a different vote on the books.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
H

Soooooooooooo, let me get this straight.
We got possesed by demon sword thingie with first roll and we went little nuts with second roll.

I am cool with this.

Hopefully we meet sometimes during our travels a demon hunter\exorcists and we didn't kill anyone else during our fight with sword demon.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And Zhou clan reputation is now -50 intead -70.
It was that way when we first intervened on their behalf.

I'd say, by the fact it didn't change and that no one tried to stop us from taking +2 SWORDS, we appeared like a batshit insane lunatic who is best left alone.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
we appeared like a batshit insane lunatic who is best left alone.

Well Jing was cackling madly while setting up that web trap for the Demon. Jing seemed to be really enjoying himself in a situation that should have terrified him. So maybe they are not all that wrong in their assessment of Jing's character.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, there is a difference between appreciating the fun and excitement of a good fight and reveling in bloodshed.

I don't know if this experience have changed us.

I wonder if our crew is still alive. It looks like we've lost the track of time.

Edit: ah, the update answers it. It is called "The Morning After". I was afraid we regained our senses after a lenghty timeskip.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Don't tell me that we missed our chance to learn beggar palm tech or giving wudang bro their legendary sword.

Esquilax

Arcane
Edit: ah, the update answers it. It is called "The Morning After". I was afraid we regained our senses after a lenghty timeskip.

I was kinda hoping we'd get a wacky questline where Xu Jing, Guo Fu, and Xuxian all take Xiahou Yu on a wild weekend to Youxia City before he finally ties the knot with Chanfeng. We'll wake up the morning after completely oblivious to what happened the night before and unable to find the groom anywhere - the only clues as to what transpired will be a tiger in the bathroom, and a baby in the closet, whom we shall name "Jue'er". Now it's up to us to find our buddy Yu in the roughest city in China before tommorrow's wedding.

Fangshi

Arcane
Esquilax said:
I was kinda hoping we'd get a wacky questline where Xu Jing, Guo Fu, and Xuxian all take Xiahou Yu on a wild weekend to Youxia City before he finally ties the knot with Chanfeng. We'll wake up the morning after completely oblivious to what happened the night before and unable to find the groom anywhere - the only clues as to what transpired will be a tiger in the bathroom, and a baby in the closet, whom we shall name "Jue'er". Now it's up to us to find our buddy Yu in the roughest city in China before tommorrow's wedding.

Does that mean we will have to return our LORD's prized tiger to him? Also we might want to get an ice pack or two for Xuxian.

ChumBucket

Augur
Ganymede, you have expressed my thoughts far more eloquently than I could myself, but you have inspired me to add my thoughts on the subject of option H from a more metagame and metaphysical perspective.

It is obvious to all of us from this most recent update that we lost, that Jian Yixiao (or the demon that possessed him) has now posessed us. It is looking for a way to corrupt us, just as it corrupted him(WITH SWORDS!!!). These options are the demon looking for that flaw his character. There are many ways a man can be corrupted, but they generally fall into one of two categories: obsession over the material, or obsession over an ideal. Most of our choices belong to one of those two categories.

First up is the ideals: Emperor, Empire, the people, justice, and power. These choices are more abstract, though some might have some basis in the material world. The Emperor is not just Shun, the people are all faceless, etc... These can easily corrupt Jing into a dogmatic killing machine. By making one of these things our one truth it makes all other things in the world expendible to ensure their survival. Cardinal de Richelieu never considered himself a villian, he was just protecting his King. Numerous dictators have commited grave atrocities in the name of their country; the same could be said many revolutionaries and their causes. An obsession with justice could easily turn us into the Punisher. Finally Power for Power's sake will ensure Jing will see everyone and everything as fuel for the bonfire to honor his greatness.

Next up is the Material Choices: SWORDS!, Fighting, those you love, and the one you love. These are tangible things that Jing can clearly visualize in his mind. They are subject to change, but still are more concrete than the previously listed options. Choosing one of them will turn Jing into a fanatic that is only loyal to them; or in the case of fighting, only obsessed with finding his next fight. SWORDS! will turn Jing into The Sword Demon 2.0. Fighting will turn Jing into some sort of thrill seeking psycho/beserker. The final two options will end much the same. We will be obsessed with those we love; and any who threaten them, or threaten to distroy the love will die - including those we love. I mean seriously, does anyone want to turn into Anakin Skywalker?

Finally are the options that didn't fall into either category: nothing, everything, and those that depend on you. These found no home in the previous two groups because they either possesed ties to both, or neither. Everthing is the concept of the material world self. In all likelihood, Jing will become fixated on with everthing he sees. This might make him want to posess everthing, or even distroy it. His lust will be insatiable. With nothing we will essentially be writing the demon a blank check to our soul. He will be free to act on his desires to initiate violence. Jing might even cease to exist.

This leaves: for those that depend on you. This posesses traits form the first two categories. Dependence is concept. Also, Jing will always have to know and phisically interteract with the people to know if they need him. It also posesses something else that separates it from all other options: Complete selflessness. Fighting for someone that depends on us does not ensure they like us, we like them, or that they will ever return the favor. That aspect will make it very hard for the demon to find a foothold, and why I think it is the best option.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom