Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Oh, true, but if certain bros had listened to me and picked A earlier, we could have died gloriously kissing another man...wait...
:rage:

Baltika9

Arcane
Embrace the power of homo, Lambchop. It is the true path to power.
Speaking of which, treave, what would have happened had we chosen to kiss the Demon?

BTW, officially butthurt that no one voted M. For women. I.E., to gather the world's largest harem.

THIS IS WHAT YOU BROS GET FOR FORSAKING THE HAREM!!!1
Somewhere In Japan

ranceC.png
Rance: Sil, I thought I told you to keep up.

sillA.png
Sil: I'm sorry Rance-sama!

14410.jpg
Rance: *whack*

sillB.png
Sil: *cries*

ranceF.png
Rance: GAHAHAHA!

ranceD.png
Rance: *sigh* Hmm. My life seems strange now that I think about it.

sillA.png
Sil: Oh, wow! I've never seen Introspective Rance! Where is this coming from?

ranceD.png
Rance: First of all, I've lived for a really long time and still look and feel young...that seems weird somehow. And second, my desire for women has not decreased despite my age. Odd, now that I think about it, ever since that fight with the Sword Demon I've been able to admit to myself that women were the only important thing in life...

sillC.png
Sil: Then why do you treat them so badly?

14410.jpg
Rance: Because you deserve it. *whack*

sillB.png
Sil: *cries*

ranceD.png
Rance: And why did I change my name to Rance and run around at the Huashan summit wearing only that red and white mask and chasing the Twin Flowers while holding my throbbing hyperweapon and yelling "BANKAI" over and over? It's almost as if...wait...no...I couldn't have been possessed?!

chaosSword.png
Chaos: What?! Nooooo! Of course not. You are Rance, mighty slayer of demons! It's impossible for you to be possessed!
(I can't let him realize he's possessed or he'll go back to being a faggot and I won't get any more girls interested in my handsome swordliness. I got him to stop wearing that stupid mask all the time. That's charity enough.)

14410.jpg
Rance: Hmm. I guess you're right. Come, Sil! I've heard rumors that Oda has a beautiful young princess and my hyperweapon needs some fresh maiden grease on it!

sillC.png
Sil: Eeew.

ranceF.png
Rance: GAHAHAHAHA!
how it should have ended. :argh:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And having participated in enough votes, I've seen how often a discuss that has gone on long enough can lead to surprise twists where people uncover new reasons that cause landslides for new options. Taiji Sword for instance was not expected to win at all during the last technique vote, but suddenly it pulled out far enough ahead to win. If you already posted two blatant hints, then perhaps more time would've allowed us to figure them out.

At any rate, even if another few pages of discuss would've gone nowhere, at least we would've reached that result of our own accord.

That particular vote took the better part of two, three days, which is a bit more than I'm inclined to allow for this one, and Taiji had always been talked about from the start. Not the case here, practically no one thought L. was a good idea. Taiji picked up because of the two vote mechanics, that there were enough people to form a stable base of support and it was an acceptable compromise. Here, I. would have been the option of compromise, if any.

Besides, you're under the impression that this vote was particularly important. It really wasn't, the previous one was a lot more crucial in comparison.

Speaking of which, treave, what would have happened had we chosen to kiss the Demon?
treave probably doesn't want to tell you that we would have won, in case it would lead to "kiss everyone paranoia" in the next update and/or lp. :M

Ganymede

Learned
Man I would have thought,

"Why do you fight?"

"For nothing."

Would have been the worst possible choice. Like something a nihilistic teenager might say. But if the goal is to outsmart the DM rather than act in character then I guess you have to evaluate things differently.

:butthurt:

I'm way too invested in this shit.
A

ChumBucket

Augur
I know I am not treave, but my impression is it would have made no difference. I believe that at the end of the Demonic Swordsman update that Jian Yixiao was infact dead; we had won. Chi You's feelings of hatred is all that was left. So it resorted to one last ditch effort to take us as it's new host. Whether it animated his body long enough to invade our mind or just jumped right out and created a hallucination to cover the fact that he was incorporeal is irrelevant. I don't think this spirit needs to feed off Jing's qi to exsist; all it needs is a host so it can infuse that person with it's feelings, and enable it to vent it's wrath on the world around it. We killed the previous demon we encountered because it did feed on qi. This one would not even try to absorb our spirt, because that is not its goal. Not only that, Chi You is also a being of primordial choas, so our own qi might actually be amplifying his control over us. If my theory is correct, then the only way we could have won was to run away at that point.

And treave invalidates my entire theory.:M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave probably doesn't want to tell you that we would have won, in case it would lead to "kiss everyone paranoia" in the next update and/or lp. :M

You wouldn't have kissed, but he'd have retreated.

.But if the goal is to outsmart the DM rather than act in character then I guess you have to evaluate things differently.

Responding to that sort of sappy, angsty 'why do you fiiiiight' question from a demon so seriously in the first place is an astounding failure at acting in character. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane

You wouldn't have kissed, but he'd have retreated.
:lol: Oh man, I can just imagine Jing chasing the dude through the whole Zhou courtyard, making kissy faces all the while. "Come here, you hunky demon you."

Ah, such a shame.

Absinthe

Arcane
That particular vote took the better part of two, three days, which is a bit more than I'm inclined to allow for this one, and Taiji had always been talked about from the start. Not the case here, practically no one thought L. was a good idea. Taiji picked up because of the two vote mechanics, that there were enough people to form a stable base of support and it was an acceptable compromise. Here, I. would have been the option of compromise, if any.
I suppose I can go digging around for better examples.

Besides, you're under the impression that this vote was particularly important. It really wasn't, the previous one was a lot more crucial in comparison.
Maintaining sanity is a rather important vote.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suppose can go digging around for better examples.

But do you really want to waste your time doing that? :|

For every example you can find I could probably give a couple more demonstrating solid bandwagons (though I really won't spend time doing something like that). It's not a big deal, really.

Maintaining sanity is a rather important vote.

Eh, at that point it's just varying degrees of sanity loss. The difference between H and L is really rather minor for the remainder of the LP's planned length, all things considered.

Absinthe

Arcane
But do you really want to waste your time doing that? :|

For every example you can find I could probably give a couple more demonstrating solid bandwagons (though I really won't spend time doing something like that). It's not a big deal, really.
Sure, but I'm not out to prove that absolutely we would've voted better. We could even have voted worse. I'm saying you jumped the gun in calling the votes decided so quickly on an issue like this.

Tribute

Arbiter
Responding to that sort of sappy, angsty 'why do you fiiiiight' question from a demon so seriously in the first place is an astounding failure at acting in character. :lol:
I wasn't clear on where the question was coming from. I was under the impression that it was Jing evaluating himself, not unlike in the fire while fighting Ahura (and voted accordingly). It sounds like we all thought the vote was very different from what it was.

Kayerts

Arcane
Last night I was going to post that "for nothing" was clearly the right answer, since the demon obviously plays upon the possessed's desires, as was the only logical explanation for the "for the swords" choice. It also fits with Buddhist teachings about desire being the source of suffering. I missed the cue that it was the demon asking the question, but still. I was going to write a post about it but fell asleep instead.

I mention this not as further evidence that I'm relentlessly right about everything, or that me posting that would've changed anything (I don't think it would have), but as support for the idea that the circumstances surrounding the choice (and the one before it, I think) were fair.*

*inasmuch as anything in the setting can be fair

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sure, but I'm not out to prove that absolutely we would've voted better. We could even have voted worse. I'm saying you jumped the gun in calling the votes decided so quickly on an issue like this.

Closed it too quickly? Yeah, probably. Would it have made a difference? I'm still not convinced it would have.

I do get what you're saying, that whether it would have changed anything or not, regardless of how important the matter is, it should be left up to the voters to talk it out and decide at the end of a lengthy voting period.

Me, I figured I'd just save everybody some time and moved on.

It's not like I have not asked if you guys needed more time for discussion before, but this time I just figured it wouldn't go anywhere at all. Oh well. :M

Anyway, votes close in three hours.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guys, Treave is ockay continuing so let's continue, it's not a matter or getting a better ending or liking this ending, simply it would be a waste stopping when the LPer is ready to continue.
For the trollan guyze, for the trollan, there won't be another LP there we will have the chance to play as an attention whore trolling Codexer, let'squeeze all we can from this opportunity.

kazgar

Arcane
Go away for a long weekend and look what happens..

A

Continue, I wanna get drunk on the 29th of august at the 1 year anniversary of this shit and see if treave hasn't killed us 4 or 5 more times yet.

I do wonder if the theme of madness and downward spiral is partly treave's subconscious at having spent so long on this, you ok bro?

You guys are a bunch of masochistic fucks.
You say that as if it's some sort of revelation. We are the guys who decide to roll a LUCK 1 character after all. :M

edit: and as to the discussion of fairness, it was totally fair to close the votes. Although many, including myself, realized Jing was possessed, The answer "nothing" didn't occur to us. For me, this was because of the way the choice was set up - as if whatever we said was going to be true. Nothing was nihilistic and stupid, if true. It wasn't "what should you say to the question" it was, "You have always been certain blah blah". Had it been phrased differently, I think more of us might have tried to trick the demon with a lie, but no one wanted to be metagamey and have Jing believe a lie, just to trick a demon that also could have used that answer against us had it been true.

Meh. Still regard it as reasonably fair though.

edit2: although I see now where you gave us a hint: "There is only one sane answer you can give to such a question." Indicating that all the others would lead to a bad end. Good show! +M

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, to be honest, that question appeared when Jing regained his senses, in a moment where he still was Jing, even as something tried to force itself in his mind. When everything but the question and the thought about his companions is a haze, I thought about it more as of the last line of defense that allows us to cling to our identity, rather than a trap. I thought that it would be the last thing we would be able to protect, even though we would not be in control of the character anymore, the last shard of the broken vase that was our consciousness that we would be able to keep.

The failure was spectacular, and I did not expect us to continue, especially not after 2 failed saving throws.

You are right in that he would never bare his heart before another like that, but I thought he could allow to be truthfull to himself if it going to be his last conscious thought. Would have been a dramatically appropriate moment for that. :M

I did not get 'for the swords' line, because I thought it to be the same as 'for great justice' line, i.e. it was there for the lulz if we are willing to go out laughing.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The entire paragraph itself was a vague hint. A sudden need to think hard about the question, followed by a sharp pain that causes him to become 'certain' of his answer. It wasn't a self-evaluation, but the question repeated again in a way that Jing thinks was coming from his own mind, as the demon attempts again to extract the real truth. I suppose I botched the execution, though.

I'll have to improve on it further so that I can spam the Cthulhu LP with this sorta thing in the future.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'll have to improve on it further so that I can spam the Cthulhu LP with this sorta thing in the future.

:yeah:

The first sacrifice to the Old Ones shall be Xu Jing. It had to be this way - it needed to be done so that They could return. However, treave, what if we want to go mad? Or is going mad a bad thing even if you are a rabid cultist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom