Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tea Meeting

The first thing you notice is the warmth of the sun on your face. Opening your one good eye, you notice that you are lying in the back of an alleyway. You groan – your body hurts all over. You remember getting into a fight with the Sword Demon at the Zhou manor last night and little else. There had also been a strange dream of belligerent screaming men wearing little furred hats while riding on ponies, but you had no idea whatsoever what it all meant. Climbing to your feet, you steady yourself against a wall. You needed to return to the inn quickly; the girls must be worried.

Cao’er flies into your arms almost angrily. Faced with her reproachful, teary stare, you cannot help but apologize. “I’m sorry. It was a bit more troublesome than I expected.”

“That’s a nice way of putting it,” sighs Yunzi. “We went to the Zhou manor to look for you but they said you had left immediately after the fight. What did you do to the place? It is in shambles.”

“I can’t exactly remember… but since I have these,” you place the Chixiao Sword and Qixing Longyuan Sword that you had found lying next to you on the bed, “I must have won, somehow.”

“That seems to be the case. When we got there, they were burning the Sword Demon’s corpse,” says Armaiti. You wonder if he was given a proper burial afterwards. You scratch your head, attempting to remember the details of the fight and failing.

“…alright, Jing?” asks Cao’er anxiously.

“Yes, I’m alright,” you smile. No point worrying them for now. With the Sword Conference on the horizon, and three of the Great Swords now in your possession, there might be more danger headed your way soon. “I’m just exhausted from the night’s activities. With a bit of rest, I should be back in perfect condition.”

“…strange,” she mumbles, and turns away without a further word.

You look around the room. Yifang and Lingshu are probably out meeting with the nuns, while Xuezi is in a corner, eyes closed in meditation. “Where’s Qilin?”

“She should be in the tea room downstairs,” says Yunzi. “You should probably let her know that you are back. She was worried sick all night.”

“So were you, Holy Maiden,” adds Armaiti, who is instantly met with vehement denial.

You would have liked to stay here and rest for a bit more, but Yunzi is right. Nodding, you head out of the room and towards the stairs. Still feeling slightly dizzy, you grip the railings firmly as you descend. You reach the doors of the tea room. You can hear Qilin’s voice coming from within. Without thinking, you knock briefly and push the doors open. “Qilin, I-“

“Ah, you have returned,” says Tulu Huodu calmly. “Please, have a seat. Your timing is perfect.”

“Just the man I was waiting for!” Chi Tianxie is in a cheery mood as usual, it seems.

Master Zhang only gives you a firm, authoritative nod. He means that you should sit.

Qilin gives you a look of utter defeat as you take a seat besides her. “Well, at least you’re alive,” she mutters to herself.

“What’s going on?” you whisper.

“You have the worst timing, dear. Now we can’t run.”

“So, back to our discussion, Zhang,” says Tulu Huodu. “Now that your disciple is back, things have become a lot easier to talk about.”

“As I have said,” replies Zhang Jue as he lowers his cup, “his decisions are his own to make.”

“It is, but you are his guardian. It is only right that we seek your permission first,” says Chi Tianxie.

“You can ask him yourself.” Master Zhang gives you a smirk that clearly signals his amusement.

Clearing your throat, you address Qilin’s father and uncle. “Yes, what is it that you want to ask me?” Of course, you already know. Qilin was right – it’s too late to run now. You should never have come down here.

“When are you going to marry my niece?” Tulu Huodu comes at you bluntly.

“It’s been quite a while now… I know we aren’t some respectable orthodox sect, and people may even think of us as immoral, but I don’t want my daughter to waste away the bloom of her youth without a proper spouse. It’s time to take responsibility, kid,” points out Chi Tianxie.

“Father, it isn’t-“

He raises his hand. “You can’t be too patient with men, my dear daughter. I thought I taught you better than that?”

“Y-you can’t mean to tell me that the two of you came to Yangzhou just for this?” you ask in disbelief.

“Of course not. There are other matters, ones that we will discuss later.” Tulu Huodu shakes his bald head slowly, and then fixes you with his golden eyes. “It was just a coincidence, but one that suited my purposes. Qilin is at a mature age… She is already twenty. It is time for her to begin taking on responsibilities, even if it is a small part.”

“That’s right,” agrees Chi Tianxie, stroking his bushy beard. “So. What’s it going to be? If you want to have the marriage now, I’m all for it. We can always throw a big bash once the two of you are in Guizhou, but at least we can conduct the ceremony right now, just to make things official.”

You cast a glance at your master. Perhaps… no, he’s grinning at your plight. No help will be forthcoming there.

A. You agree to take responsibility and marry Qilin immediately as your first legitimate wife, consolidating your link to the Wudu Cult. It is the right thing to do, and it is not like you dislike the idea. If you refuse to marry here, Tulu Huodu and Chi Tianxie would likely be displeased with you. Not to the extent of poisoning you, of course. Hopefully.

B. You attempt to delay the wedding. The Fire Temple will not be pleased if you actually put another woman before their Holy Maiden in a legitimate ceremony – in fact, you suspect that they might be outright offended. Besides, there are still plenty of things you are concerned about. You cannot let marriage tie you down just yet.

C. You tell Master Zhang, Tulu Huodu and Chi Tianxie to fuck off. Who do they think they are, butting into your personal life?

1. You do it politely.

2. You do it rudely.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
AHAHAHAHA.

I did not expect marriage decicion waiting for us after the sword demon fight.

It's about time to seal the deal, so A

Fangshi

Arcane
And so the Last Great Time WAIFU Wars began:

DW50_Gallifrey_Citadel.jpg

Going to abstain like a dirty coward. :salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Anyway, uh, regardless of what they might say, their feelings about the matter could be different. Just a heads up.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All I want to know is how to use WQS to get out of this conundrum. There must be a way!

Oh, and no, we'll go on a wedding tour later, visiting Tufan, Guizhou, Yao's Mansion and Qingcheng in turn, and arriving to the Huashan Summit just in time to marry Bai Jiutian.

Edit: Uh, and you just had to add this...

Alright. We'll do it in the seniority order.

Screw it! We'll marry all the girls at once! And I mean all the girls. YOLOTIGER OR NO TIGER AT ALL!

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C. Reveal that you are the new Fire Temple Lord and explain that Qilin has brilliantly arranged for you to marry the Holy Maiden as well in a power play that will strengthen the Wudu Cult and that there must be a dual wedding to avoid offending their sect.

1. The wedding will occur as soon as possible.

2. The wedding must be delayed until after the summit.

C2 :M

edit: actually, I have a feeling Yunzi would run at this point...so C2 is best for now...

edit: This is now what B is going to be about as treave said it was a better excuse than he had thought up. Also, if we use this excuse it's actually a valid reason for the delay as treave says Yunzi is still underage and can't be married until later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. I like the plan to appeal for power and potential profits that the Wudu seem to value above proper ceremonies... but isn't it going to invalidate the choice?

Isn't it just B, delaying it under some kind of a pretence?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's still better than the excuse I thought up for B, I suppose. But you can't have the Fire Temple marriage early because Yunzi is still underage.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, I always wanted it to be a dual marriage, because of our previous talk of how the girls are all equal in our heart and all that.

I just didn't know it was possible.

I guess that would be ideal for me. C2.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is possible, but how well will they buy the excuse is another thing. I'll file the C votes under B.

Nevill

Arcane
Can somebody explain why C2 is preferrable to C1?

It would be nice for epilogue purposes, I suppose, but can't we have a bit of happiness in the LP itself?

Especially since we'll probably need our factions strongly tied together before shit goes down. We want the Wudu Cult to be there when the Fire Cult will inevitably get assaulted. So it stands to reason we might want to get into an alliance by marriage sooner rather than later.

It is possible, but how well will they buy the excuse is another thing.
Well, I am more interested in keeping our party together than in the effects it will have on our political alliances. The former will have a more direct and immediate effect, and if one of them runs off, the political consequences are going to be disastrous as well.

On that front, can't Jing figure something up to keep the girls relatively happy with the outcome? He didn't swallow that silver tongue of his, did he?

As far as excuses go, "I can't because I your daughter wants me to marry another girl too" is pretty original. Brown wedding of excuses and all that.

edit: Nevill, 1) Yunzi is underage and can't be married now, 2) Yunzi would probably bolt anyway.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Can somebody explain why C2 is preferrable to C1?

It would be nice for epilogue purposes, I suppose, but can't we have a bit of happiness in the LP itself?

Especially since we'll probably need our factions strongly tied together before shit goes down. We want the Wudu Cult to be there when the Fire Cult will inevitably get assaulted. So it stands to reason we might want to get into an alliance by marriage sooner rather than later.

Well it depends how Yunzi will response.
Last time when we revealed something about possible wedding she ran off.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
can't we have a bit of happiness in the LP itself?

Are you saying there is not enough Happiness in the LP so far? :rpgcodex:

I thought the common complaint was that Jing wasn't cursed enough.

On that front, can't Jing figure something up to keep the girls relatively happy with the outcome? He didn't swallow that silver tongue of his, did he?

Only two of them would care about who would be first, and I suppose you can say the relationship is not that simple now since you guys didn't send Qilin away.

Last edited:

"Please, sir, I want some more."
"More? MORE?!"

Seriously, Nevill, don't make him mad! :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, those two are a bit more vital to the story, unfortunately. You guys went down the Qilin route, elevating her from side-story character to female heroine. And making things more complicated.

For example if we went with the Cao'er route back then, her background would then have been more prominently tied into the main plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom