Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Stabbey

Learned
No official patch notes, but here's what I've noticed so far:

• New background for the Options screen
  • Some additional portraits and hairstyles in character creation.
  • New Cursors
  • Option to completely disable global chat. It hides the tab and everything. (This will become mandatory for your first playthrough if you want to avoid spoilers)
  • New "Keys" tab in the inventory.
  • Kickstarter backers (at least at the appropriate tier) now start out with the "Golden Grail" item in their inventory. It doesn't seem to do anything yet, though.
  • Source Hunter's Manual now has some actual text, not just placeholder stuff.
  • New sound cues.
  • Prettier effects
  • [Fixed] CTRL + Mousever didn't show stats.
  • Autosave at the start of the Tutorial dungeon.
  • New options for LAN and Direct IP Connect.

And this was all before reaching the bridge.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
LyRNyeB.gif

SokOzyi.gif

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
If you want to make custom 3d models you have to use separate graphics program or does it come with the larian editor ?

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They briefly showed the program they use to create materials and models. It's a node based system and looked confusing as fuck, but they said they'd dedicate a stream to it sometime

The material editor is in the editor itself and is briefly shown here at 30:00

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
It looks "confusing" but it really isn't compared to how materials were created before node based approach with GUI.
I have no doubt someone can just throw bunch of shit together from library fiddle with it for 10 minutes and create new wall material for his mod without any scripting.

sser

Arcane
Developer

What I liked was that if you picked a wall and scrolled it would run through the various wall types, including doors and windows.

And some of the assets were "prefabs", like those rocks/trees he brought out. They come all together, but you can pick apart the asset at an individual level (or even put them together for your own prefabs).

This is all pretty impressive to my dumb ass.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
If you want to make custom 3d models you have to use separate graphics program or does it come with the larian editor ?

you will need larian's exporter tool (or a community made one) to get them into the engine. at least for static models that shouldn't be a problem. while browsing throug the files in the install folder i noticed some .gr2 files, which hopefully ain't the granny tools shit obsidian used for nwn2. if their animations are exported as .gr2 then the whole exporter thing will be alot more complicated, at least for custom non-static meshes.

Perkel

Arcane
extensions can be different. I i don't think Larian had anything to do with bioware engine.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
extensions can be different. I i don't think Larian had anything to do with bioware engine.

i hope so. btw granny tools have nothing to do with the engine. it's a third party tool which a lot of developers use. it covers the whole exporting pipeline (including file compression, animation blending, material packaging, tons of other stuff). the problem with nwn2 was that this only works with max and that obsidian later had to remove the published .dlls (and therefore their exporter) due to copyright reasons.

hmkay, there's a granny2.dll within the root folder :/

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't suppose there's any way to take dialogue from the combat log and put it into the local chat? As it is, I've got an unused Local Chat window I can't seem to remove (very irritating) and an unreadable log because there's so much shit in it.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't suppose there's any way to take dialogue from the combat log and put it into the local chat? As it is, I've got an unused Local Chat window I can't seem to remove (very irritating) and an unreadable log because there's so much shit in it.

You can filter the log to only show certain things.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

You can filter the log to only show certain things.
Yes but that's not the problem. I want to see everything. Just not at the same place. Especially when there's a completely unnecessary chat window to the left.

Ivan

Arcane
Bros, have Larian divulged any details as to how in depth the companions are going to be? Should we be expecting obsidianesque companions or something a bit flat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bros, have Larian divulged any details as to how in depth the companions are going to be? Should we be expecting obsidianesque companions or something a bit flat.
something flat. THE companion (i.e. your other character) has no deeper personality other than what you assign it.

Stabbey

Learned

I can only extrapolate from what we've seen in the beta.

In the beta, I've seen a couple characters with strong personalities and opinions (perhaps abrasive or unlikeable personalities, granted.) Like the Source Hunters, they occasionally comment on things that they see, or that the Source Hunters interact with. Sometimes they address the Source Hunters directly and express a belief, which the source hunters can (individually) agree or disagree with, and the companions react to whether the source hunters were of one mind (one way or the other) or if they disagreed with each other. That possibly has an influence on how much they like you (and possibly how they develop), but I'm not sure, since the beta only has so much content. You can talk to the companions directly, and ask them to elaborate on some of the comments they've made, which gives even more insight into their characters (I haven't actually done that, I'm saving it for the full game).

Each companion joins you freely, but they do have a condition for staying with you which both Source Hunters have to agree with before the companion signs on. Presumably if you violate that one (at least in front of them), they'll leave you permanently. Presumably, at some point they will have a quest for you, and presumably how you solve it will influence them in some way or another. (I don't know because I haven't seen any of those quests yet.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom