Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Divinity: Original Sin
Man, what a lame excuse by GOG. The game is also singleplayer, and not releasing the game just because of a feature that is cool (multiplayer), but not the main feature, is shit. And of course, people probably will play it singleplayer even with multyplayer available, because of their own pace. Regardless, they should have annouced that before.

Gog is cool, but they aways fuck up when they take secret decisions...

I'm enjoying it. Playing a sword and board fighter and a ranger who dabbles in water magic for healing purposes. I'll admit things weren't going as well until I got the hirelings. Hopefully the lack of fire and earth magic won't cause any problems, though the nice thing about archery so far is that magic arrows seem to cover every element. The tactical combat so far is really addicting, and I need to step away from my computer soon.

My only quibbles with the game so far are with inventory management / UI stuff. It'd be nice to be able to auto-sort by item type. Or if there was a button that pooled the party's gold. Would also appreciate if recipe books that you've read showed an 'Already Read' blurb in its description like the Witcher games do. Inventory management and bartering between 4 characters is just a bit cumbersome at the moment.

By the way, is there a hotkey to change the page of a character's hotbar, or do you have to click those tiny arrows? I feel dumb.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As a side note, the french translation is, as usual, downright insulting. It's common, but considering this is a rather text-heavy game, it's even more aggravating. I don't really mind since I'll probably play the game in english anyway, but developers should really pay more attention who they contract for these things.
Customers relying on a decent translation are gonna get pissed. SRR translation was horrendous too, but I think this one might be even worse... Get your shit together Larian, I wanna be proud ! (Also, where are my kickstarter goodies ?)

What kind of problems does it have?

Well it's hard to explain in another language in which I can't express myself very well, but, for example, the tooltips read like a straight "google translate" from english. I mean, words aren't even in the right order in french... The style of the dialogues seems very weird and inconsistent. I can't give more specific examples since I switched back to english and apparently steam wants to re-download localization files each time you change languages, which is a pain. On the other hand, that might mean that they're still patching it and it's gonna get better in the next days...
(At least, this time, the game is actually great... so... who cares.)

Last edited:

Morkar Left

I thought the game was mostly for coop-play but it sounds like there is a full classical rpg with partymembers in there?. Is this the classical oldschool fantasy rpg everyone on the codex is waiting for? Should I buy?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I thought the game was mostly for coop-play but it sounds like there is a full classical rpg with partymembers in there?. Is this the classical oldschool fantasy rpg everyone on the codex is waiting for? Should I buy?
Duh.

Xenich

Cipher

I wouldn't call it a CoOp game as much as I would call it a game that has CoOp done right. The game is perfectly appealing playing it solo, though until AI personalities are released it will be somewhat limiting in dialog interaction between your two main characters. Aside from that, it is a party based cRPG with loads of content and depth. So... Should you buy it? The question you should be asking yourself is... Why shouldn't you be buying it?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's fantastic so far so I'm glad I backed to the tune of 100 clams. Might seem like a lot but hell, I was paying almost this in the 90's for boxed games of this quality(and often worse).

Buy it faggot.......or wait a year or two and beg like a degenerate for a spare key, your guilt and shame for not being a part of the collective joy of mid-2014 will make your fleeting 'triumph' of a cheap copy feel as nothing but the taste of bitter ash in your mouth.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If you aren't desperate to play it then waiting for the first patch is a good idea. I planned to but once I saw everyone play it I went FUCK IT DOWNLOADAN

mrlutze

Novice
Who did the French translation? Judging by the comments (very poor quality, a lot of stuff left in English) Larian got scammed.

deuxhero

Arcane
As a side note, the french translation is, as usual, downright insulting. It's common, but considering this is a rather text-heavy game, it's even more aggravating. I don't really mind since I'll probably play the game in english anyway, but developers should really pay more attention who they contract for these things.
Customers relying on a decent translation are gonna get pissed. SRR translation was horrendous too, but I think this one might be even worse... Get your shit together Larian, I wanna be proud ! (Also, where are my kickstarter goodies ?)

What kind of problems does it have?

Well it's hard to explain in another language in which I can't express myself very well, but, for example, the tooltips read like a straight "google translate" from english. I mean, words aren't even in the right order in french... The style of the dialogues seems very weird and inconsistent. I can't give more specific examples since I switched back to english and apparently steam wants to re-download localization files each time you change languages, which is a pain. On the other hand, that might mean that they're still patching it and it's gonna get better in the next days...
(At least, this time, the game is actually great... so... who cares.)

That's the kind of thing I was asking about.

I guess it is a good Ultima spirtual successor given what I've heard of Ultima 4's translation

otsego

Cipher
14kh9x1.jpg

:D

Arkeus

Arcane
Who did the French translation? Judging by the comments (very poor quality, a lot of stuff left in English) Larian got scammed.
Yeah, it's a real pity, especially as i expect a lot of people in Larian actually speak french.

Perkel

Arcane
So far few things from me:

- As @Shadenuat said Loremaster is kind of useless. I thought that it will be important skill but if you have to choose skill point in Loremaster and paying something like 30 gold for identification... yeah.

- I didn't choose straight malee class (rolling mage and backstab rogue combo) but so far malee seems to be useless but i will test it later more with proper 1 handed build. 2 handed weapons do a lot of damage but they are slow as fuck + with armor you sometimes need to take two turns for one attack (if opponent is near you but not far away)

- Good idea with use of weapons that are over your level.

- Indifferent toward diablo like equipment progression. From one side it gives you sometimes fun stuff to find in chests from other side most of equipment you are using will be junk to sell in minutes. Still undecided because i am only in Cyseal and i didn't see rest of the game loot yet.

Game is definitely incline and i am excited to play more. Good job Larian. Gotta finish this, then play Keep on Borderland, Fiddle with pure one handed malee class in DOS and then editor.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Some grave digging just pulverized me and my whole party. And one sheep!

Awesome.

It's a great game, had only couple of fights so far but no bother, nice talking to NPCs and getting to know Cyseal.

Shadenuat

Arcane
- As @Shadenuat said Loremaster is kind of useless. I thought that it will be important skill but if you have to choose skill point in Loremaster and paying something like 30 gold for identification... yeah.
It's also supposed to show you enemy resists, but 1-2 points seems like not enough.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm looking at this on Steam (shut up) and they have a Digital Collector's edition which comes with two copies of the game and DLC. Plus Divine and Beyond.

Is the DLC worth it?

Arkeus

Arcane
My only fear for this game is that the late game is rushed- i am really hoping it won't be like in Divine Divinity where the last map is completely empty. If the game keeps the quality of the first map thorough the game, it will be pretty much perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom