Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege 2: Deluxe decent to Armchair General

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege 2

<a href="http://www.armchairgeneral.com/">Armchair General</a> has posted up <a href="http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?p=3271&page=1&cat=59">a review</a> of the bundle pack of <A href="http://www.gaspowered.com/ds2/news.php">Dungeon Siege 2</a>. The score is <b>80%</b>, and there's a hefty bit of comparason between this game and you-know-what:
<br>
<blockquote>Then we come to the Dungeon Siege franchise. Developed by Chris Taylor’s Gas Powered Games (of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander fame), Dungeon Siege 2 has been heralded time and again as the definitive Diablo killer. Certainly, it has its points of excitement and thrill, but does it really have the holding power that many "hack ‘n’ slash" games have produced before?</blockquote>
<br>
I'm willing to bet right now, more people are playing <a href="http://www.blizzard.net/diablo">Diablo</a> than this.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">Voodoo Extreme</A>

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
So I guess from now on, action RPGs won't be considered "Diablo clones" anymore, but "Dungeon Siege 2 clones" instead. Yeah, I'm sure that term will catch on.

oshiatvo8.jpg

It's always sad to see the young ones go :cry:

elander_

Arbiter
Diablo was actualy a good game compared to the Dungeon Sieges. Many games claimed to be Diablo clones aren't even Rogue games in any way.

Limorkil

Liturgist
I always thought Diablo was great but Diablo 2 was not so great. I think what ruined Diablo 2 for me was that the hell level was so small. I loved the desert part with the seven (iirc) tombs and the city in the jungle, but most of the levels were kind of boring. I guess the reason I liked Diablo was that is was so traditional: one dungeon, the deeper you go the harder it gets. Pity you could not just go deeper and deeper to infinity.

Actually, see Dungeron Siege 2 makes me want to play something mindless like that again. Last thing I played was Sacred and I really did not like that as much as I thought I would: mainly because it was too easy.

DS2 looks quite good, but I heard it was unbelievably easy and that puts me off. Is it me or are games just to darn easy and lacking in sensible difficulty options these days?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fate is like Diablo in that there's one dungeon, and it has the dungeons going off for as big an infinity as the code allows.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ok, please explain why nothing lives up to Diablo. Whats so special about it and why cant anything replace it?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Because every game that tries to replace it makes a copy/paste from it. In order to kill a game you must make something different.

Take Quake, for example. Many games were announced as "Quake killers", but they offered the same thing as Quake with a different envelope. The real Quake killer was Half-Life (SP-wise), which really changed the FPS genre, and offered a different experience. The irony was that Quake was killed by a game that used the same engine.

FTR, Unreal Tournament killed is the other Quake killer, but in the MP area.

Castanova

Prophet
It's just the best action RPG thus far. It's not terribly complicated. Name one action RPG that is better than Diablo, if you think everyone's wrong.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Name one action RPG that is better than Diablo, if you think everyone's wrong."

JE.

BL.

G3.

Oh, SNAP!

AZ

Liturgist
Not really, the pure good in Diablo is that it is very simple, but the few things it has are in the right way. D1 has better music, dungeons, and I love that you can develop your charter any way, not like D2. And D2 is much more easier.

Nightjed

Liturgist
D1 was a lot better, somewhat randomized quests, much better music, better loot (in d2 you hardly find anything useful after lvl 30), even better graphics (i liked d1's monster design and spell effects a lot more than d2 ones), the only thing i hate about d1 is the "find the ring pixel on the floor" crap.

they ruined d2 with the crappy fixed quests, shitty loot and the because most areas were "open" they didnt feel randomized at all

Ladonna

Arcane
I prefered D1 (not that this says much) probably because it was a lonely RPG at a fairly lonely time.

Never got into 2. Still have it sitting around here somewhere, should probably ebay it.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Nightjed said:
(in d2 you hardly find anything useful after lvl 30)

Complete and utter rubbish. I don't think you can have played the game to it's full extent to be honest.

I prefer D2 to D1 just for the larger set of options, but love them both.

After losing two high level amazons (Javazon & Strafeazon) to Blizzards' char expiry policy I sold my D2 disks. Three months flys by very easily when you have a busy stressed real life. :(

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Players of Dungeon Siege and DS2 modders don't even like Dungeon Siege 2. Most of them see it as little more than a cash cow for GPG to finance their other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom