Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World Exploration...Yay or Nay, Big or Small

Limorkil

Liturgist
EvoG said:
This question might be best aimed at those that don't abhor 1st/3rd person games, but it can work across the board even though I am referring to those perspectives.

Exploration is a big part of gameplay for me, which is why I gravitate strongly to open-world games. I like to look at structures, lighting, terrain variety, hidden places, etc. I love it when there's a strong mix of verticality so I can gain high ground perspective of the surrounded environ. I enjoy being surrounded by the world that I'm free to explore in any direction. I'd be satisfied with doing little else beyond this for large chunks of time if there was something to see as I looked around so...

...assuming for a moment you guys enjoy that aspect as well what are your criteria for ultimately satisfying exploration?

• Do you like large worlds, where locations are farther apart and there were a lot of natural filler terrain?
  • Do you like small worlds where its quick to get from location to location, with little to no filler, where every area was unique?
  • Do you like to get lost?
  • Do you like to find hidden areas based on distance or based on simply being hidden by occlusion of large objects or general object density?

Cheers

Yes to all that. I played the MMORPG Asheron's Call for years simply because the world was largely seemless and you could pretty much attempt to go anywhere. Hell, most of my gameplay was basically running along looking for new dungeons, buildings, while trying to avoid getting killed by enemies that were too powerful to fight. Crap MMORPG but the world was excellent and there was plenty of lore to be found.

I liked Daggerfall for similar reasons, BUT, the big difference is that Daggerfall landscape and content is randomly generate while Asheron's Call was all hand placed locations. It is much less interesting to explore if you know what you find is just some random thing.

elander_

Arbiter
It's a bit more complex than that. Daggerfall is a mix of hand-placed content and procedurally generated content.

The entire map is hand-drawn:

http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/5xIliac.png

The map is 1000x500 pixels. Each pixel represents a location of a city, cemetery, castle fortification or dungeon entrance. In game units a pixel is an area 512*512 square meters.

The city procedural generator can generate entire cities following some rules on how to assemble the city from 64*64 square meters city parts.

But in the case of Daggerfall city or Wayrest, those blocks where all hand placed and some are unique to the city and cannot be found anywhere else.

Dungeons and even quests can be procedurally generated in a similar way or hand-placed. Its the designer choice.

EvoG

Erudite
suibhne said:
EvoG, the more I think about it, the more I have to strongly disagree with your desire for "open worlds" like Oblivion or Gothic 3. I prefer G3's to Oblivion's, by far, but even G3's world is simultaneously bizarrely compressed (geographically) and ridiculously full (of hostile life). This is a necessary corollary of the "free exploration" approach: there's nothing satisfying for most players about wandering through the forest for 15 minutes without seeing anything except a few squirrels and maybe a deer that promptly runs for its life, but that's much more logical. The point is, computer games have an advantage in being able to compress time for dramatic effect - but the "open world" approach requires time to flow normally throughout the act of exploration, which means that the player has to be presented with a bullshit series of distractions to fill that exploration in a matter that's totally illogical and undermines any credibility in the gameworld. Think about it - this design flaw isn't much different from the unceasing grind in JRPGs.

I missed this paragraph the first time through but Hazelnut pointed it out (thanks):

Its easy to call something "bullshit" or a "design flaw" when you choose only the bad things. If something is geographically compressed, full to the brim with hostile creatures and nothing to see, then of course its silly, but I'm puzzled as to why you'd take this stance now when I think I and others have been clear about what we want.

And what "design flaw" are you talking about exactly? Open-world gaming is a concept, how its executed is the design. GTA games are the most lauded open-world games in existence, that transcend hardcore gamers and attract all sorts of players who want to experience the simulated world it presents. The idea here is that travel through these worlds is enjoyable; travel needs to be an enjoyable process, exploration needs to offer things to find and if and when there's combat that too needs to be fun. Ever wonder why combat in RPG's many times is a pain when you're trying to get somewhere? If something is fun to do, it should never be a pain, EVEN if you are indeed eager to get back to town to progress the story.

Point is lots games have done open-world gaming right as much as its been done wrong, so its obviously not inherently "bullshit" by nature, but it can be difficult it seems for developers. And while I have only played the demo of G3, Oblivion has done the open-world gaming very well. Regardless of all its problems, its structure, look and feel are all pretty high grade. If it 'were filled with unique places to find, non-leveled items to discover and dangerous creatures to fight, and had more robust narrative, then it would be damn near perfect (in the sense that it would be almost completely enjoyable).

Then again, I do know people that dont want exploration and just want to get right to the narrative points of the story...well we're not talking about if you like open worlds, but what you like better in the genre. In this case I'd gather that you like less hostilities, a world that is a bit more spread out but with interesting things to find...me too so we agree! :D

Cheers

EvoG

Erudite
elander_ said:
It's a bit more complex than that. Daggerfall is a mix of hand-placed content and procedurally generated content.

The map is 1000x500 pixels. Each pixel represents a location of a city, cemetery, castle fortification or dungeon entrance. In game units a pixel is an area 512*512 square meters.

The city procedural generator can generate entire cities following some rules on how to assemble the city from 64*64 square meters city parts.

But in the case of Daggerfall city or Wayrest, those blocks where all hand placed and some are unique to the city and cannot be found anywhere else.

Dungeons and even quests can be procedurally generated in a similar way or hand-placed. Its the designer choice.

Holy fucking crap...wait...how did you traverse the world map in Daggerfall? (yea I know, I didn't play it but I dont know why :oops: ) I know the game was first person, but entirely? Thats absolutely daunting...if as you say each pixel (pink I'm assuming) was a location...what about the pixels inbetween? :D

Lumpy

Arcane
And those are only the biggest cities and dungeons, according to the Legend.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That map only displayed the major cities and dungeons. Theres were probably about 5 times as many little villages and crypts that only had about 5 rooms in them as the major places.

And yeah, trying to first person walk from one end of the country to the other would take forever (As it should.)

Top Hat

Scholar
Wouldn't it be better to tie in certain "boring" activities with other activities which happen in-game (when it is suitable, of course)?

For instance, suppose you are in a village. You could go to the local tavern (which is usually the local haunt for passing-by heroes and whatnot). If locals had a problem, they could come over and talk to you about it while you were eating/drinking. You could also use the time to listen for rumors, and (if you were in a party) give your bards some time to earn money playing songs for the locals while the rest ate.

elander_

Arbiter
This is the map with all the cities and dungeons. Most of them procedurally generated:

http://www.til.gamingsource.net/maps/DFomega.png

To travel from distant cities we use fast-travel. You click on W and a fast-travel dialog pops-up that discounts the time time, food and water from to make the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIO0Ym_3wco

Quests are timed so you may end up loosing a quest because you took too much time resting and healing and then you don't have time to travel back to your contractor.

The funny thing is that you can avoid the fast-travel and simply walk from one place to another. The city of Gothway Gardens is right bellow the first dunegon (one pixel vellow). It takes from 8 to 16 minutes to go from the first dungeon to GG by foot. Now imagine what how much time it takes to cross the entire map by foot.

Limorkil

Liturgist
elander_ said:

You are right, and I know all that. I guess what I meant is this: If you actually leave the city by the gate in Daggerfall and walk, what you are seeing is randomly generated landscape. It hardly ever varies. It is really boring. If you meet a creature it is most likely a randomly generated one based on your level. If you come across a location it is almost certainly a generic location that has no real distinguishing features - it is just like all other locations of the same type. The chance of you stumbling across a unique, hand-crafted location while walking around is practically zero, unless you are trying to find one that you know should be in the area.

Don't get me wrong: Daggerfall is a great exploring game, I just do not think it is ideal because it is too generic. My point is that the scenary is generic and boring, so exploring is less interesting. On a larger scale, going from province to province is somewhat interesting, but not that much. There are only a few unique locations.

What I like about large games with mostly hand placed content, like Asheron's Call, World of Warcraft, Sacred and Morrowind, is that you can follow a road or a track just to see where it leads. I do not play MMORPGs any more because they are pointless, but when I did play them all the fun I had was just wandering around trying to see stuff.

In Asheron's Call I spent probably 90% of my game time just wandering around. There were literally hundreds of dungeons in that game, not randomly generated, and many of them people did not even bother going to. Most players were focused on going to the best dungeon to level up, not on going to a dungeon just to see what was in it. There were many other unique landscape features too, like strange towers and stone circles in the middle of nowhere. There would be enemies to fight, often hand placed, and even some lore surrounding the place; but no-one else bothered with such places because there was no phat lewt. In AC, I had fun just trying to get from the village of Holtburg to Glenden Wood without getting killed on the road. Of course, the danger got nerfed over time because other people complained that travelling was too dangerous.

In World of Warcraft I did all the instance crap and other shit that other people do, but none of it was as interesting as trying to take my troll hunter from Horde territory into the Alliance lands just to find a white bear to make into a pet. It's a pity the two sides cannot communicate with each other because the number of new players with new dwarf/gnome characters going "WTF is a troll doing here?" would have been quite entertaining. Most players find that sort of thing tedious, something that you have to put up with to get a semi-unique pet, but to me that was the most fun.

I think a lot of people spoil their gameplay experience with guides, maps. I avoid them. I seriously doubt any MMORPG player would go without a map: I must have been a rare exception. The fun is really in the exploring, for me. In fact, that is probably the main reason I play RPGs, since there are not too many other types of games where you can explore relatively easily.

I dislike RPGs where the explorable area is small, and I tend to like them less when you are stuck in one location like a dungeon or a city. I liked the later chapters of the original campaign of NWN over the first chapter simply because at the start you are stuck in the city. In Baldur's Gate I disliked the part actually in the city of Baldur's Gate and in BG2 I am much happier once the action gets out of Amn. Not that cities cannot be interesting, just that I tend to like them less.

Here is what I like: Wandering around, finding unique locations. Running away or sneaking past powerful enemies is a plus.

Here is what I think makes a game better in this regards:

1. Unique landscape and locations, rather than randomly placed or generic features.
2. Decent graphics help. Not necessarily super state of the art, but more the ability to have landscape and buildings that look different from each other. Even indie games like Avernum 3 manage this with crappy graphics. What they lack in graphics they make up for in things to discover.
3. Continuous landscape rather than 'zones' that you have to wait to load.
4. A good ratio of unique locations to unique landscape. No point having a huge world to explore if there is almost zero chance of stumbling across something interesting. You walk across Texas or Iowa and it takes a while to find something different: you wander across Scotland and you will stumble across a castle (happened to me several times). Not putting down Texas or Iowa, just saying that the ratio of interesting stuff to size is much smaller.
5. Regional variation in landscape and encounters. Not levelled content. It takes all the fun out of exploring if you encounter a wolf just outside a town and then you go to the remote desert and encounter another wolf that appears to be much the same.
6. Realistic interaction with the terrain. If I am playing a 1st person game and I encounter a low fence, I should be able to jump over it. Arbitrary restrictions on where you can walk just ruin the experience. A lot depends on the style of the graphics, since the more realistic the world looks the more you expect to be able to interact with it realistically.

galsiah

Erudite
Limorkil said:
...what you are seeing is randomly generated landscape. It hardly ever varies. It is really boring.
While that may be true, it is certainly not a necessary characteristic of procedurally generated terrain/plants/buildings....

Clearly if your "random" (let's say "procedural", since there doesn't have to be anything random about it: "random" is not the opposite of "hand-placed"; it's not even the opposite of "pre-determined" ) generation uses the same seed information everywhere, it's going to create a dull, generic, landscape. If, however, you throw many nets of seed values for various parameters over the landscape (like height-maps, only mostly not for height), you can get all the interesting variation you want.
Values can affect height, rocks, caves, water (both lakes and rivers...), vegetation, creatures, buildings, odds of finding some particular type of building/fort/cave..., or whatever else you want.

You don't need things hand-placed to get "unique locations" either - you just need a unique collection of parameter values (and an interpretation that often does wildly different things without requiring you to give it wildly different parameters [smooth gradients in parameter values shouldn't always produce smooth results]).

There's no reason that a procedurally generated landscape couldn't be a joy to explore (even for its creator). Daggerfall was (apparently) just the first step on the road, in this and many other areas. It's very unfortunate that work didn't continue in that direction.

What I like about large games with mostly hand placed content,... is that you can follow a road or a track just to see where it leads.
There's no reason this can't be true for procedurally generated content. There's also no reason to expect that road to lead anywhere less unique. It'd be much harder to do well (in game-engine terms, not in content creation terms), but it'd be worth it.

elander_

Arbiter
This is the path rogue games are taken. It's a shame that most rogue games still use tiles and sometimes characters. Daggerfall also used a sort of "tile" system but these were blocks of 3d geometry instead taking their place. There are much better ways to do this now that doesn't involve blocks and still let the designer decide how much hand-placed vs. procedural he wants to mix in. Speedtree is one example of this, but there are other tools than can even build entire cities in a very realisitic and unique way. The important thing about this is that we can refresh the world and the game puzzles at any time and we get a more realistic feeling of land scale and exploration. I just don't expect to see anything like this anytime soon.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
suibhne said:
EvoG, the more I think about it, the more I have to strongly disagree with your desire for "open worlds" like Oblivion or Gothic 3. I prefer G3's to Oblivion's, by far, but even G3's world is simultaneously bizarrely compressed (geographically) and ridiculously full (of hostile life). This is a necessary corollary of the "free exploration" approach: there's nothing satisfying for most players about wandering through the forest for 15 minutes without seeing anything except a few squirrels and maybe a deer that promptly runs for its life, but that's much more logical. The point is, computer games have an advantage in being able to compress time for dramatic effect - but the "open world" approach requires time to flow normally throughout the act of exploration, which means that the player has to be presented with a bullshit series of distractions to fill that exploration in a matter that's totally illogical and undermines any credibility in the gameworld. Think about it - this design flaw isn't much different from the unceasing grind in JRPGs.

Time doesn't flow normally in any open world game that I've plaid (gotta keep up with Gal... :P) - it's accelerated. The aim is to compensate for the compressed distances between geographical features I believe. I dislike it and favor free exploration with fast travel (on a map) done in a coherent and consistent manner. I'll freely admit I've given this design almost no thought whatsoever.

(quoting oneself is possibly a bad sign, but I wrote this in an awful hurry at work because I had to, well, work and I'd like to expand a little)

When I say free exploration with fast travel on a map, I mean that you can walk or you can click on any point on a map to have the walking done for you by the computer, possibly with interrupts if something interesting/dangerous is stumbled upon. Very similar to daggerfall, but without such boring landscape and probablynot with such ambitious scope and size. Obviously much of the landscape would need to be procedural to reduce the hand crafting effort to an affordable/managable amount, but there's no reason that with modern tech and storage that this couldn't be done as a one off during development with hand crafting then adding more interest on top, concentrating on the more interesting and important geographic locations of the gameworld. Restricting the fast travel to either areas mapped by previous exploration, commonly accessible areas on a transport network (roads or caravan routes etc), or areas where an NPC is taking you would be a good idea so long as the gameworld wasn't too big. What I'm really describing is the successor to daggerfall in many ways - what I was hoping many years ago Oblivion might be. (fuck you, Toddler)

I also think that having different climates is a really nice thing to have, like with arctic/temperate/desert in G3. Morrowind did this very well for a small gameworld I think, wheras G3 is obviously set on a very small planet or something. :?

I love exploration, which is why I played and liked Morrowind. Discovering the world and the stories interwoven with the land was a great experience. Not so great an RPG though, but still worth playing regardless. Getting lost was memorable more than once too.

I also think that there could be real replayability and roleplaying in a main quest where different routes through the geography of the game became decisions in themselves and where you can't visit the whole land in a single play though (and still succeed at your main purpose) like like visiting tourist. It would be great if exploration was not only about finding the next set of quest dispensers, and more pretty scenery - but also was about the situations in different areas and how it advantaged/disadvantaged your character to travel that way.

[ward vs Galsiah's]This is a stream of consiousness, not well thought out design treatise. [/ward vs Galsiah's] :P

Dire Roach

Prophet
WoW has pretty good food and cooking systems. In a less combat-centric game, diplomatic characters would have very little need for food, though, unless there were foods that could boost stats other than stamina. Also, it would be great if you could experiment with all the different condiments while cooking so you could create your own unique recipes (and perhaps even discover secret combinations that give you special benefits).

Food in the context of exploration has been well discussed so far, but what about fatigue, rest, and other "basic" needs? I don't recall any RPG other than the Baldur's Gate series where characters can get penalties for not sleeping. Perhaps rest and other Sims-like needs, like bathroom breaks and character entertainment/amusement/relaxation, could be implemented in positive ways?

galsiah

Erudite
Dire Roach said:
...all the different condiments...
God help us all.

Food... sleep... bathroom breaks...
Food (condiments aside) can have great strategic significance. Sleep can be important (mostly due to lost time), but since it's possible anywhere, is somewhat less interesting.
In a world without poor-sanitation-induced-dysentery, "bathroom breaks" have zero significance. They are thus utterly useless as gameplay. In an RPG, there are countless more effective ways to provide colour - and in doing so create interesting gameplay, rather than pointless gimmicks.

Generally I'm in favour of sleep, both to have the world make a bit more sense, and to play a role in time-related game aspects. I don't think it's worthy of much consideration on its own though. There's no direct gameplay in it (nor should there be - please no "counting sheep" mini-games), and its significance is generally constant for all characters/situations.

positive ways?
Incentivizing dull, pointless behaviour using positive reinforcement is daft. Anyone looking for a way to make "bathroom breaks" in an RPG entertaining, is dafter. [if you can think of a way, point your creativity in a more useful direction]

Hazelnut said:
Obviously much of the landscape would need to be procedural to reduce the hand crafting effort to an affordable/manageable amount, but there's no reason that with modern tech and storage that this couldn't be done as a one off during development with hand crafting then adding more interest on top, concentrating on the more interesting and important geographic locations of the gameworld.
That's an option, but it's not ideal IMO. For a start, storage might be expanding, but it's not going to be possible to store a Daggerfall size world in detail on disk any time soon.

Practicality isn't my main objection though - I'd much rather have the game generate its terrain/vegetation/buildings on the fly. That way you aren't stuck with the same old world for every character: the parameter values for areas can stay the same (or just within certain local limits/ranges), but each new character can get a new seed value (or many) to give a very different world for each play-through. [[where exploration is an important aspect of the game, this is a great asset for non-linearity in other areas: there's no longer an exploration downside to having a shorter, broader story, since the player still gets all the joy of real exploration in the fifth play-through]]

Also, this means that the developers would absolutely need to do the procedural generation properly. They couldn't simply write a few half-baked algorithms, say "that'll do", then fix the problems in areas they thought were important. Rather they'd be stuck with world quality being (statistically) the same everywhere - forcing it to be high everywhere.

In practical terms, this is probably going to be much harder though (I guess). Developers would likely have to get their hands dirty doing things themselves to have procedural generation on-the-fly. When they do it once off-line, they can simply throw a ton of middleware at the problem.

Restricting the fast travel to either areas mapped by previous exploration, commonly accessible areas on a transport network (roads or caravan routes etc), or areas where an NPC is taking you would be a good idea so long as the gameworld wasn't too big. What I'm really describing is the successor to daggerfall in many ways
That's a good idea IMO. I'd like to see fast travel as travel though (e.g. Fallout), rather than teleportation - i.e. the character should be seen to take some particular route, and bear the possibility of encounters on the way.

I'd like to see restrictions, but not in an absolute sense. For instance, non-mapped areas could give a lower chance of avoiding hostile encounters (whether random, "random", or otherwise), as well as somewhat reduced speed of travel.
Speed / encounters etc. could also depend on terrain..., so road travel would be faster, well guarded, easily seen; forest travel would be slower, wilder, and more concealed....

It'd also be preferable to be able to set various character preferences for fast travel - e.g. Is the aim to avoid trouble, or to look for it? Is it a hunting trip? Is the aim to track/follow some NPC/group? Is it important to map/explore the route thoroughly? Are civilized settlements to be avoided/approached? Caves/camps/mysterious shacks...? Is speed a very high priority? Is concealment vital? From known enemies, or from everyone?
Of course, the PC's ability to achieve much of the above would vary according to stats/skills.

I prefer things when the PC actually shares the player's goals directly. I guess there's a certain sense of satisfaction in getting the character to a goal in spite of his ignorance of the objective, but it has a kind of shouting-directions-to-a-blind-man-against-the-wind feel to it.
I think that if you're using some kind of Fallout/Arcanum map for travel, there ought to be more to it than simply getting from A to B. Presuming that there is, it's nice for the PC/party to have some idea of the objective.

Hazelnut

Erudite
galsiah said:
That's an option, but it's not ideal IMO. For a start, storage might be expanding, but it's not going to be possible to store a Daggerfall size world in detail on disk any time soon.

Well, I did say not Daggerfall size, mainly for gameplay reasons - it's too big an area to even be worth allowing for useful & practical physical exploration. But I don't see why a huge world couldn't be stored assuming that the data was stored in a hierarchical manner using shared instances. We're both kinda hand waving here though... :D

galsiah said:
Practicality isn't my main objection though - I'd much rather have the game generate its terrain/vegetation/buildings on the fly. That way you aren't stuck with the same old world for every character: the parameter values for areas can stay the same (or just within certain local limits/ranges), but each new character can get a new seed value (or many) to give a very different world for each play-through. [[where exploration is an important aspect of the game, this is a great asset for non-linearity in other areas: there's no longer an exploration downside to having a shorter, broader story, since the player still gets all the joy of real exploration in the fifth play-through]]
I think that this is impractical unfortunately. You're almost asking for an algorithm to design the game and world to an acceptable level. The complexity and variability that your idea would introduce would surely make the task of having a responsive, coherent and interesting society much harder. Since this is more important to us (choices & consequences rely on the social aspects mostly) and is on its own very difficult and rarely even attempted let alone successful, which is why I think you're being completely impractical. Although it would be cool I'll admit.

What I have in mind is a fairly simple compromise - an attempt to take the best of both approaches (hand crafted & procedural) and create an end result which is much more satisfying than the hand-crafted worlds with scale issues or the procedurally boring Daggerfall landscape. The high level map would be hand generated, with the detail being created procedurally off that data and then a hand crafting pass to improve and add the really interesting bits (population centers etc) on top of the generated landscape/environment.

galsiah said:
That's a good idea IMO. I'd like to see fast travel as travel though (e.g. Fallout), rather than teleportation - i.e. the character should be seen to take some particular route, and bear the possibility of encounters on the way.

I'd like to see restrictions, but not in an absolute sense. For instance, non-mapped areas could give a lower chance of avoiding hostile encounters (whether random, "random", or otherwise), as well as somewhat reduced speed of travel.
Speed / encounters etc. could also depend on terrain..., so road travel would be faster, well guarded, easily seen; forest travel would be slower, wilder, and more concealed....

It'd also be preferable to be able to set various character preferences for fast travel - e.g. Is the aim to avoid trouble, or to look for it? Is it a hunting trip? Is the aim to track/follow some NPC/group? Is it important to map/explore the route thoroughly? Are civilized settlements to be avoided/approached? Caves/camps/mysterious shacks...? Is speed a very high priority? Is concealment vital? From known enemies, or from everyone?
Of course, the PC's ability to achieve much of the above would vary according to stats/skills.

Sounds good to me, although you don't want to overdo it because some fast travels would be short hops to the next minor point of interest on the high level map. I don't mean big points of interest like cities, but maybe the edge of a forest or a river or a point along a road/trail where you want to start exploring from. The player wont want to answer any questions, but I guess could have a 'normal' travel profile that gets used for a left click whereas a right click pops up a travel settings dialog.

I also think that faster (than on foot) modes of transport are essential unless some kind of time speed up is available via the UI (think Frontier). I made a small mod to MW on my second play session to increase the running speed of my char because I didn't want to spend so much (real) time walking.

Lumpy

Arcane
In my opinion, travel between towns should never be realistic, because it becomes impractical and pointless. Gameworlds should be shrunk to a size that's reasonable to walk, and time appropriately sped up. Also, fast travel should be available only in realistic forms, such as carriages or ships.
As for exploration, I think aimless searching is hard to do in a game. What I'd rather like is to see more quests that give you an objective to reach, and very limited orientation - no map markers, only written directions. Morrowind had one such quest, given by the Mages Guild - you were told to go to two locations in the ashlands, being given only the written directions which you had to follow. Furthermore, the ashlands were very inhospitable for a low level character, with cliffracers at every step and frequent ashstorms. There was also a big chance to get lost, which could easily mean that you were screwed. All in all, it was a very memorable quest.
Oblivion ruined all that with it's flat gameplay and map markers for every location. Even without the compass, there was no way to get lost, since you could easily bring up your map to find which way to go, but couldn't find the place any other way.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Lumpy said:
In my opinion, travel between towns should never be realistic, because it becomes impractical and pointless. Gameworlds should be shrunk to a size that's reasonable to walk, and time appropriately sped up. Also, fast travel should be available only in realistic forms, such as carriages or ships.

You're quite possibly correct. I've no idea if what I suggest would work well or not. I don't like the pretense that time is flowing normally when it's not and that scale is realistic at some levels (people and buildings) and not others. My ideas are the only way I can come up with to get around these issues without, hopefully, becoming impractical and pointless. Could you flesh out more of your reasoning behind why you think it wouldn't work, or is it more instinctive? It may well be that, short of trying to implement a game that way, there's really no way to tell.

Lumpy

Arcane
Hazelnut said:
Lumpy said:

You're quite possibly correct. I've no idea if what I suggest would work well or not. I don't like the pretense that time is flowing normally when it's not and that scale is realistic at some levels (people and buildings) and not others. My ideas are the only way I can come up with to get around these issues without, hopefully, becoming impractical and pointless. Could you flesh out more of your reasoning behind why you think it wouldn't work, or is it more instinctive? It may well be that, short of trying to implement a game that way, there's really no way to tell.
Uh... what? What do I think wouldn't work?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Uh, having a non-shrunken game world and non-compressed time - possibly implemented using the ideas I posted above.

You feeling alright Lumpy? Or maybe your post (3 up from this one) was not in answer to any of mine?

(I was assuming you've been following the whole thread)

galsiah

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
I think that this is impractical unfortunately. You're almost asking for an algorithm to design the game and world to an acceptable level.
Kind of. I'm not asking for it to make really important decisions though - they'd be present in the data provided to the algorithms.
Basically I'm suggesting that designers specify what's important about an area (in whatever terms), and that various algorithms fill in the gaps procedurally. That's certainly very hard, but I don't think it makes sense to dismiss it out of hand. Getting the aesthetics right might be difficult, but here I'd suggest that run-time procedural generation can get around perhaps the largest problem: the world being built out of pre-designed blocks, each used thousands of times. Terrain etc. generated on the fly can be as fluid/unique as required, since there's no need to store it anywhere, and therefore no need to build it from a glorified lego set. [again: horribly difficult, yes; impossible, no]
Whether or not such an algorithm has great aesthetic sense, it certainly has a whole lot more aesthetic freedom than a human level designer.

The complexity and variability that your idea would introduce would surely make the task of having a responsive, coherent and interesting society much harder.
Again, yes and no. Getting it to work at all would be a huge challenge. However, once it works, it would work everywhere, all the time. To start with, horrible conflicts and bugs would probably be all over the place - but that's a good thing. It'd mean that problems were readily identified. You'd need to stress test with a load of horrible data of course, then tone things down for the final version.

As far as coherence goes, I'd have thought such a system could work really well. If you want areas to be similar (in whatever respect) you simply give them similar data. For towns or equivalent, this could be very specific. Again, it's important to note that algorithms don't have to give smooth results, or work only on one level. It's certainly possible to have a high level algorithm produce locations for cities, roads, forests etc., then have lower level purpose-built algorithms fill in the details for each. A city algorithm can define quarters, quarters place buildings, buildings place floors, furniture etc. It doesn't need to be a monolithic, one-size-fits-all solution.
You could even effectively hand-place the very high level stuff (cities, mountains, lakes etc.), simply by putting the appropriate data values only where you wanted them.
Any really important relationships could be codified in rules, which a computer can enforce more reliably than a human (or in particular a team of many designers who aren't always on the same page).

Since this is more important to us (choices & consequences rely on the social aspects mostly) and is on its own very difficult and rarely even attempted let alone successful, which is why I think you're being completely impractical. Although it would be cool I'll admit.
But what's important in social terms? Only that NPC X has ... to say about NPCs ..., belongs to faction..., has motivations..., lives in situation..., lives close to..., knows about... etc. etc.
All you need to do is specify an NPC's dialogue, his motivations / schedules..., his relationships to other NPCs, his relationships to towns..., and you're done. Exactly where he lives, or (usually) who he lives next to, is entirely irrelevant.
Only his relationships and dialogue are relevant. Once you set up those relationships for all NPCs, you can simply chuck them at the world, and an algorithm will find them a home which fulfils all the relevant criteria. Then all that's necessary is to update a few tables with information such as exactly where NPC X lives.

The social stuff all relies on dialogue / social relationships / occasional spatial relationships etc. Exactly who lives where, whether village X is North of town Y, or whether NPC Z lives next to a cake shop, are inconsequential.
Again, when it comes to juggling complex interrelated relationships/requirements, a computer can usually do a better job. (so long at it really has all the relevant information)

What I have in mind is a fairly simple compromise...The high level map would be hand generated, with the detail being created procedurally off that data and then a hand crafting pass to improve and add the really interesting bits (population centers etc) on top of the generated landscape/environment.
That's perfectly good, but doesn't exactly inspire. From my point of view, the real beauty of procedural generation only happens when it's used at run-time. Off-line generation is a great labour-saving tool, but nothing more. On-line, it can obliterate storage requirements at a stroke, giving much more freedom - both artistic, and practical; it can provide huge variety, both in one playthrough, and between playthroughs; it can treat an arbitrarily large world even-handedly - keeping things interesting everywhere, rather than only where the designers thought it was important.
Clearly you're not going to get great non-trivial procedural dialogue any time soon (though a fair bit of basic functionality is doable). However, much of an open-world game tends to be exploration/action/environmental interaction/basic NPC interaction (traders etc.). A great central plot-line is going to need to be hand-crafted, but there's no reason it can't be procedurally mixed up a little, or that procedural methods can't provide a supreme backdrop. [horrible impracticality aside :D]

...although you don't want to overdo it...The player wont want to answer any questions, but I guess could have a 'normal' travel profile that gets used for a left click whereas a right click pops up a travel settings dialoge.
Certainly - there can be a simple one-click mode, perhaps with a few quick buttons to select different types. Answering the questions / inputting numbers etc. would only be to set up options in the first place (so done very rarely: only for vitally important trips, or strategic re-thinks). Selecting from those options should be a simple one/two click process.

I made a small mod to MW on my second play session to increase the running speed of my char because I didn't want to spend so much (real) time walking.
Surely you mean jumping? :)
(Badly implemented use-based mechanics ftw)

Dire Roach

Prophet
galsiah said:
Food (condiments aside) can have great strategic significance. Sleep can be important (mostly due to lost time), but since it's possible anywhere, is somewhat less interesting.
Choosing where and how you rest could have great strategic significance, too. Your wounds should recover faster if you choose to rest inside an abandonded structure where you can barricade yourself, as opposed to setting up a tent in the middle of the woods, since you are better sheltered from the elements and are much less likely to be disturbed by enemies while you rest. You could also be able to pack items that help no matter what the resting circumstances are, like campfire supplies, an automated defense system, or a scroll of Mage's Magnificent Mansion.

Incentivizing dull, pointless behaviour using positive reinforcement is daft.
Things like bathroom breaks shouldn't be dull or pointless, of course, if they are implemented correctly. Take the toilets, urinals, and water fountains in Duke Nukem 3D, for example. They were there mostly for decoration, but if you used them, they gave you a small benefit (peeing recovered 10 health points, but you couldn't do it again until a few minutes had passed). Not the most realistic mechanic, but adding up lots of details like these can make gameplay a much more memorable experience.

World-defining algorithms... procedurally generated stuff... more reliable than humans...
Sounds like stuff pulled straight out of the I, Robot stories. Developers would be in a hurry to pull it off if they thought of an effective way to sell it as middleware.

EvoG

Erudite
Dire Roach said:
...Take the toilets, urinals, and water fountains in Duke Nukem 3D, for example. They were there mostly for decoration, but if you used them, they gave you a small benefit (peeing recovered 10 health points, but you couldn't do it again until a few minutes had passed). Not the most realistic mechanic, but adding up lots of details like these can make gameplay a much more memorable experience.

I dont want to beat on this any more, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to point out applied examples but...

...this is exactly what I've been talking about with food; its not about realism, but an abstract and more a way to take something seemingly mundane and make it have value moreso than just the 'value inherent' in and of itself (survival for survivals sake because otherwise you would die).

This thread is losing a bit of steam unfortunately, but that might simply be because we've said all that really need be said, but, to touch upon a few things and maybe add a small bit more:

Procedural Content - Works, but like a computer painting a painting or composing music, its only as good as the initial input, and never as good as something handcrafted. Obvious statment I know, but perhaps the most successful adopting of this system is Spore, and even though I'm intrigued from a technical standpoint, it loses a lot for me knowing that there won't be much thought put behing the procedural worlds other than a seed value. For ancillary things like forests, using Lsystems and, dare I say, soil erosion and such is perfectly fine...but once you get to places of interest, it can never be.

Now, how about a lateral addition to the OT:

Since its been agreed that theres only so much tolerance for an open world and that there need be a great deal of unique content to make exploration worth while...

...what is the Tolerable Minimum Frequency of unique objects to open-world? How far apart can unique content be...or...how far would you travel before 'something' needed to happen or be found?

Would knowing that anything you did find would be unique allow for even greater distances since the reward would equal the effort?

Do other elements such as combat or essential item discovery or even a survival mechanic make the interim travel interesting enough to allow for greater distances between 'set pieces'?

and the best question...

If you chose a large world, why do you prefer the larger world and greater distances over the smaller, tightly packed worlds other than the 'real-world scale' rationale? In other words is there an emotional satisfaction of the journey? Does it feel more epic to travel to far off lands?

Keep in mind you dont need to hit each and every sub-question...they simply give texture to the primary idea. :D

Cheers

suibhne

Erudite
I've missed a few days in this thread and probably have replies to go back to...but in the meantime, here's a nut to crack wrt procedurally-generated terrain, galsiah: it only saves disk space before it's been visited. For a huge gameworld this will still be a significant advantage, and I'd be really jazzed with a game that could procedurally generate areas on the fly when given input values like ecotype, basic elevation changes, maybe watercourses and roads, etc. - but once it's generated, it has to stay that way. You need to be able to revisit the same area and have it look as you remember it.

So yes, definitely an intriguing idea, but I wouldn't focus on the benefits for disk space. To me it's more a question of design resources, because in the long run this is the only reasonable way to implement an extremely large open world for player exploration.

Zomg

Arbiter
Presumably you could regenerate the same terrain with the same seed.

suibhne

Erudite
Zomg said:
Presumably you could regenerate the same terrain with the same seed.

Probably true. I mean, there would have to be significant randomness in the area generation, once other basic parameters are specified, but areas that have already been visited could have those random values fixed and would therefore be re-generated in exactly the same manner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom