Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Vault gone?

AngryKobold

Arcane
Good! Take down every single website containing content for NWN and nothing, NOTHING of value will be lost.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gross.

Even developers who worked on old games (or new games with DRM) shrug off the preservation issue. I asked J.E. Sawyer about it once on Formpring and his answer was "everything ends sometime, I don't worry about it."

This is why all those abandonware sites starting popping up in the late 90s in the early days of the internet.

While the biggest reason for the sites was to get access to all the games of yesteryear and make a little money on the side due to traffic/ads, there was also the issue of preservation. The Home of the Underdogs abandonware site, which quickly became the biggest abandonware of them all, was built and run on that notion; to preserve the games and not to steal them. That many games were featured on abandonware sites 15 years ago is the reason they are somewhat known today, and I'm sure there are a few games that only exist nowadays because of abandonware sites.

15 years later and people just shrug when things just go *pop* and are gone for good? We should be surprised, but then again Mankind is CONSUMING gold for the first time in history.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is why all those abandonware sites starting popping up in the late 90s in the early days of the internet.

While the biggest reason for the sites was to get access to all the games of yesteryear and make a little money on the side due to traffic/ads, there was also the issue of preservation. The Home of the Underdogs abandonware site, which quickly became the biggest abandonware of them all, was built and run on that notion; to preserve the games and not to steal them. That many games were featured on abandonware sites 15 years ago is the reason they are somewhat known today, and I'm sure there are a few games that only exist nowadays because of abandonware sites.

Indeed.

That's why I try not to worry about Steam DRM and similar shit, as long as we have a free and open internet the community will preserve the classics as best they can, and cracks already exist. Once things are always online and stored partially server side though, preservation goes out the window. And a lot of companies, if not all, are eager to see it happen.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's back, kinda, sorta. http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=nwn2modulesenglish

I, too, am hoping against hope that the D:OS toolset really takes off and brings back a healthy fan-made module scene. There was a time when playing NWN1 modules where I actually felt that I could play these for the rest of my life and never touch another game and be happy. I remember building a polymorphing character and breezing through one module where everyone seemed to have trouble, but not with my acid breathing drake. Killed the end boss with a just a few "I'm gonna huff, and I'm gonna puff, and I'm gonna blow your ass in!" attacks. Ah, good times. I felt like a green god!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
it ain't back. all the files (or just the links to them) are deleted. i somehow doubt that the vault ever comes back, despite the comment on twitter.

Kitako

Arcane

lKnzy37.png

WAT

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meanwhile, the new independent neverwintervault.org site has been binge-uploading backups these last few days:

http://neverwintervault.org/tracker

When you check the new uploads, there's a good chance you'll see a lot of stuff that has been put there just minutes ago. There've been at least a hundred uploads this week alone and we only have Tuesday morning now.

Fuck IGN, the Vault backup is being moved to a better site.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Volourn, the Roguey style cocksucker of NWN.

Who, by the way, still can't learn how to use the quote feature on the Codex.
Volly does not want to use the quote feature.
He knows that he usually only writes nonsense and wants to hide that as well as possible (without actually stopping to write nonsense, ofc).
He wants to be the only one supporting whatever position he's claiming to have at the moment. (That includes being the only one not using the quote feature. Bioware-style kind of "special", you ken?) Which naturally means that most of his expressed opinions are rather hilarious. Try actually agreeing with him on something. You'll see what I mean.

On topic: Ha. IGN lost their last source of income/traffic from me. From now on I'll be actively avoiding them. (Not that they'll notice the one click per quarter more or less.)

Lhynn

Arcane
Good! Take down every single website containing content for NWN and nothing, NOTHING of value will be lost.

If i had to pick between NWN existing and D:OS existing, id pick NWN. Im just grateful i get to play both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom