Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the deal with Divine and Beyond Divinity?

Texas Red

Whiner
Some time ago I read reviews on Divine Divinity. I remember that I couldnt understand what the hell the game is about from them. Is it a hack-n-slash or not? Any dialogs, exploration, diplomacy and so on? Basically, is this one of them forgotten gems or at least worth playing?

I also see that Beyond Divinity is considered a poor game compared to Divine. Why?

And most importantly, is the translation done well?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Divine is worth playing, I yet have to check out beyond though. The combat is hack-and-slashy, but it got quite a nice amount of interesting quests, story and dialogue. It's worth checking out, really.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Divine is an excellent game that combines hack'n'slash combat with a large gameworld and a bit of an Ultima feel -- not surprisingly since Larian always saw it as an Ultima tribute. The combat is quite good with a very open skill system so you can build quite diverse characters. Beyond the combat is a large and almost continuous world (a couple of areas can't be entered until later in the story) where you are free to wander.

It has excellent environmental interaction (almost anything can be moved, nice alchemy system, poisoning weapons - quite a bit of fun to mix a poison and then apply it). It has decent dialogue trees with a nice touch of humour although there aren't any dialogue skills and not really many branching paths.

A great explorers game and for my money, one of the best h&S games ever made. That first dungeon is waaaaay too long, though.

Beyond Divinity was never intended to be "Divinity 2" - it was always a different type of game. It's more the classic hack'n'slasher, which means it loses a lot of the Divinity charm. I think it got panned far more than necessary - I can't see it as worse than many h&s games - but it isn't good, either.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Dhruin said:
A great explorer's game and for my money, one of the best h&S games ever made.
Definitely!
That first dungeon is waaaaay too long, though.
Unfortunately.

Also, I remember some really good music in the menu and during gameplay... It's one of those games which I really like, but have never managed to finish. I tried at least 3 times and I think I only managed to complete one half of the game due to real-life issues taking precedence. Combat / dialogue proportion is quite decently low for a hack'n'slash.

I'll definitely try another time :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
An obviously shitty game series that only morons can like. I'll stick with Fallout. Thanks.

Xi

Arcane
Divine Divinity is an awesome RPG. I would recommend it to anyone on the codex. It is somewhat actiony as far as combat goes(think Diablo) but it has non-linearity, open ended solutions to quests, etc. It did take me some time to adjust to the game. Like someone else said, it really starts after you leave the first town and head out on your own. Just give it time and it will grow on you.

Beyond Divinity is also a great game. I haven't beaten it yet, but it pretty much just builds on the strengths of the first from what I've seen. I think a lot of folks attribute it like comparing Fallout 1 vs 2. They both are good games, but the first just had something special that the second didn't. Snag them both if you are looking for something that practically everyone missed.

It's been a couple years since I played the first one, but one thing I always found fascinating was the quest where a child had been captured by a vampire. The outcome of the quest has many different endings. You save the child and vanquish the vampire, you sneak the child out of the cave while the vampire is unaware, the child dies and you lose the quest. The game, from what I remember had a lot of choice/consequence that was quite refreshing compared to most games. It's probably the best action-RPG out there considering that it focused on the RPG side just as much as the action.

:P

cubgrace

Novice
DD is on my top 3 all time list. They brought out some cool things. Beyond is Beyond me. I do not see how people can make a game like DD and next thing they make is crap.

Really, I loved it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nonsense. The game has poor writing, a horrible combat system reminding me of Lionheart, billions of easy opponents to slaughter at will at the same time, poor role-playing (with very few exemptions), and no heart or soul. Aty leats that's what i saw before I quit the shit fest. I'm sure, as usual, the fanboys will claim that it gets better 5 minutes after I stopped playing. L0L

I don't know any self proclaimed 'real' 'role-player' can even pretend that it's a good role-playing game let alone great. It's a game that only Oblivionites could like.

Xi

Arcane
Volourn said:
I'm sure, as usual, the fanboys will claim that it gets better 5 minutes after I stopped playing. L0L

I'm no fan boy of the games. I snagged it in my days of WinMX downloading.(I did purchase the Second title in my defense.) It was a nice escape from Morrowind at the time. Maybe that's why I liked it so much, but it was just a good game with a very different feel to it. The writing was hardly "shit" as you claimed. It was just different. Lots of strange Nerd Humor mixed into the dialog. It has all the staples of roleplaying. The only thing that might turn people away is the action element, which was done pretty well, imho.

You don't have to like it in the ways that some of us do, it's just that practically every flaw you pointed out doesn't seem true from my perspective. So yeah...spend another 5 minutes with the game. It's definitely a gem that most people missed.

Edit: Plus they are releasing DD2 supposedly this year. Unfortunately it gives a huge graphical overhaul, but if it offers an ounce of the features from DD it will be an amazing game. http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanpx4.jpg Hopefully they didn't sell out because it has all the middleware that Oblivion does. pfft

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It sucks.
Why?
Because even fully patched, it crashes to the desktop every eight minutes or so on my rig...

...now, if someone has a fix to this...

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
It sucks.
Why?
Because even fully patched, it crashes to the desktop every eight minutes or so on my rig...

But from what you glimpsed at it you like?

Hmmm, I think im picking DD up instead of Jade Empire. I mean c'mon, 20 hours?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Jasede said:
It sucks.
Why?

But from what you glimpsed at it you like?

Hmmm, I think im picking DD up instead of Jade Empire. I mean c'mon, 20 hours?

It is by fare more difficult than JADE EMPIRE, so you will play it quite some time (if you want to see everything).

Volourn's OBLIVION comparison is as retared as ever, because I never got my ass whipped so much as in DIVINE DIVINITY when I entered a dungeon without checking out what it might contain (eg. the troll lair) - so definitly no auto-leveling.

There are some problems though: First is that the game gets annoyingly straight forward and linear in the last third. The last "act" actually plays more like DIABLO than anything else (or ULTIMA for that matter).

Second: If you saved all your magic jewelry until the later hours of the game, when you finally get some worthy equipment and then started upgrading, you will have an too easy day beating the game.

Never tried BEYOND DIVINITY. I actually imported the english version because the german one does not sport any voice acting and is in the original release VERY hard to come by (only 10k units produced).

denizsi

Arcane
Good that this thread came up. I just saw a boxed Divine for 7-8$ a few days ago and thought if I should buy that. Only reason I didn't on spot was the fear of getting something ultra-shitty.

Visbhume

Prophet
Volourn is right about the writing. It does suck. And the game has the stupidest name ever.

Limorkil

Liturgist
Divine Divinity reminded me a lot of Diablo and Sacred, but with more RPG elements. It feels more like Diablo, but there is a large world to explore like Sacred.

Only problem was that it had compatibility issues with my PC. It would work fine for about 45 minutes and then all the colors would go all screwy and I would have to reboot. It got very annoying. I have a new PC now, so I really ought to install it again and see if it works.

I never got Beyond Divinity but it had mixed reviews. I am not sure why it got mixed reviews because it seemed like it would be quite good; perhaps it had a lot of bugs. You can compare it to Oblivion because you can journey to random dungeons in hell, although the similarity between the games ends there. I keep meaning to pick this up, should I see it going cheap.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Maybe the name got screwed during translation?

Nearly. The game was originally intended to be called "DIVINITY - SWORD OF LIES" which would've made sense considering the story about the prince, but their (means Larian#s) european publisher (CDV) insisted on the change of names. They probably thought that the "curiouse name" would sell the game.

*EDIT*: changed minor typo.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I nearly absolutely loathe action "RPG"s, however I DID decide to pick up Divine Diviniyu seeing as it was available for c. $5 and had been described as "pretty good" for it being an ARPG.

The world is fairly largish and has plenty of areas to explore.

There is a fair amount of dialog, some of which is just used for "setting". e.g. you'll eventually run across a pair of merchants arguing over an accident, which you can trigger various movements forwards until it reaches the end of that particular side play. It was somewhat funny, and wholly unexpected.

The skill system appears and feels to be more complex than other ARPGs.

There is the usual amount of lots of actiony combat, but I found it to be surprisingly controllable so it wasn't so bad.

There are quite a few mainline quests, and a largish number of sidequests. It's been a while since I played, but I seem to recall that they weren't all fedex quests, or kill monster X quests, although both do put in an appearance.

There's a possibility to purchase a house in DD.

Some people have described it as being Baldur's Gatishlike or Ultima VII like. Personally, I found BG to be a complete bore added to which is the shitacular BW RT combat system endemic of all their games so I ended up never making it past around the halfway point of that game. Divine Divinity I found to be MUCH more fun to play than BG.

As to Ultima VII, yes I'd have to say of all the comparisons the Ultima VII comparison is closest to being true, although Divine Divinity isn't as good of a game as U7. It's not as interactive, and the story line isn't as good. DD has MUCH more combat and ph4t lewt to boot.

If the combat is too much for you there is a bug in the drop multiple items dialog which you could exploit to duplicate some items, e.g. potions w/o cheating overly much IMO. You shouldn't really need to do so though, as I mentioned the lewt is ph4t and your character should always have enough money. It's a surprising deep game for an ARPG.

[EDIT="oops forgot to address Beyond Divinity"]
Beyond Divinity has been universally panned as not being nearly as good as DD, so I've stayed away from it up to this point, but I WILL try it, if I can find a copy at a decent price. Currently, I haven't seen any budget releases of it in the $5-10 range, and the remnants of the original release are going for a little high of a price to be worth experimenting with, usually c. $20 unless you get lucky on ebay or another auction or trading site.

Other game opinions in a similar vein:
Diablo: meh

Diablo 2: meh

Nox: meh, but briefly fun online

Dungeon Siege 2: I still feel ripped off by this one

Titan Quest: Thought it was decent, then I played DD(got them the same day) and when I went back to TQ it felt pretty hollow. Better than the Diablos even though it played and looted almost exactly identically with an extremely linear(railed) quest line and world. i.e. Diablo on rails in the Heroic Age.

Sacred Gold: Pretty similar to my feelings with TQ, although the world seems to be more open and the quests a little better. In all other respects it feels like yet another Diablo clone.

DD crashing: haven't had a single crash. Patched to latest update and de-protected courtesy of one of the favorite outlets, GCW.
[/EDIT]

Joe Krow

Erudite
If its cheap and your bored have a run. Just remember, your playing it because it was cheap and you were bored. Don't expect much and you may enjoy it.

I'd call it a (very) dumbed down Ultima 7 clone.

Devine was alright, Beyond not so much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It is by fare more difficult than JADE EMPIRE"

From what i saw, DD was rather easy. I forgot how many undead I killed; not to mention orcs (IIRC, they were orcs) before I shut off the game. I think I killed more enemies in the two places I visited than I did the entire game of JE, and that was maybe 2 hours of playing.

Then again, I'm sure I'll be told that it gets 'harder' just after I quit. L0L

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom