Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sacred 3

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
With so much TURN BASED INCLINE coming, it is so refreshing to now just ignore such crap.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sacred has always been Diablo’s cheeky little cousin. Made with none of the precision or flair of Blizzard’s series, they’ve been bumbling action-RPGs that have attempted humour, mostly missed, and been generic but inoffensive click-a-thons. Hey folks, that’s all about to change with Sacred 3! This game is properly, unambiguously rubbish. Here’s wot I think:
Stopped reading there. I mean, I already expeted Sacred 3 to be shit, but the whole statement is nonsense and obviously written by a moron...:M

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sooo... DungSiege3 is better? What a twist.

EDIT
similiar case to DS3 - changed subgenre.
DungSiege was h'n's isometric while DS3 is TPP with better characters/story/narration/whatever.

Sacred was h'n's while Sacred3 is more like Gauntlet?

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sacred has always been Diablo’s cheeky little cousin. Made with none of the precision or flair of Blizzard’s series, they’ve been bumbling action-RPGs that have attempted humour, mostly missed, and been generic but inoffensive click-a-thons. Hey folks, that’s all about to change with Sacred 3! This game is properly, unambiguously rubbish. Here’s wot I think:
Stopped reading there. I mean, I already expeted Sacred 3 to be shit, but the whole statement is nonsense and obviously written by a moron...:M

First people are complaining about biased journalists, and when they for a change see a straight honest review, they are stoping reading after first paragraph. BTW this game is officially unreleased for next 3 days.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Steam forum is full of butthurt, almost all community reviews are negative. It truly is glorious

TheLostOne

Savant
Sterling gives it too much credit. Watched the video on RPS. Pretty dreadful.

Of course anyone who was even remotely aware of the debacle leading up to this game should have expected this.

Shame because Sacred was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting comment from RPS:

Sacred was originally meant to be an adaptation of a Dark Eye module named Armalion back in about 2001. It was supposed to be published by Jowood but they didn’t get along with the original developer (Ikarion) and it was cancelled. Ikarion went bankrupt and the already 2/3 finished Armalion was bought by Ascalon, rebranded as Sacred. It was a modest success but development on Sacred 2 turned out to be so disastrous that Ascalon closed down in 2009. Deep Silver acquired the rights to Sacred and Kalypso most of the rest. Presumably nobody who worked on the original Sacred games was involved with Sacred 3.
It has that in common with Divine Divinity which has an oddly similar backstory. It was an original game with the beautiful name Unless: The Treachery (of Death) but later Attic convinced Larian to turn it into a Dark Eye game. That was The Lady, the Mage and the Knight which was already quite a bit like the later Divine Divinity but it had three main characters and the player would only control one of them at a time while the other two are controlled by the AI. I guess it was supposed to be kind of like Secret of Mana in that way. One ’98 preview even spoke of online co-op but we had to wait until Original Sin for that to happen. However, it was cancelled and partially recycled into Divine Divinity (which was supposed to be just Divinity).
So yeah, Games development in Germany is rough and Larian have no luck with names.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprise, game is shit. Just like everyone with two braincells and five seconds on their hands to use Google knew months ago. At best it's a $15 download title. It's nowhere close to the original Sacreds. Torchlight 2 blows it out of the water for less than half the cost. Hell, even less since you can pick up TL2 for $5 during most sales.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also move this thread to GG. This isn't even close to an RPG. Borderlands is more of an RPG.

This is what happens when you don't focus your budget on PR. Had the devs been more accepting of the established order, we wouldn't be able to hear our own thoughts over the sounds of cocksucking around a new epic, action-packed beauty of a game that is more art than entertainment.

Also, is RPS branching out of SJW, now? Will wonders never cease.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So... they got rid of inventory, loot, builds, the open map and made a hack n slash aeven more simplistic than already was? :lol::salute: Man, you need determination to turn a shitty Diablo II clone on a even more simplistic piece of shit.

Shannow

Waster of Time

First people are complaining about biased journalists, and when they for a change see a straight honest review, they are stoping reading after first paragraph. BTW this game is officially unreleased for next 3 days.
1. "Biased": Obviously the review is biased. The paragraph I quoted clearly shows that. What you mean is "bought". And that never has been such a huge problem for C-level games that are not backed by big advertising/marketing/PR money. (Unless you see low review scores in relation to the bought reviews a a big problem.)
2. "Honest" is the bare minimum that is to be expected from a review. Personally, I also expect the reviewer not to be a moron, for me to want to read it.

himmy

Arcane
Steam Description said:
Sacred 3 is an arcade Hack ‘n’ Slash game for up to 4 players. Choose a hero and fight cooperatively against the rise of evil. Victory is Ours. Glory is Mine.

That awkward metafictional moment when the sales department breaks the fourth wall and starts speaking in first person, directly addressing the audience.

- (everything else)

+ postmodern cred

canakin

Cipher
Apparently even a shitty clickfest grinder for loot is too much to ask now. I've almost bitten my laptop when I read the part about no inventory.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Reviewer who isn't moron could be paid, or manipulated by other means. So a honest review is LIKELY made by moron. That's a common journalistic fact. They are morons, or crazy, or paid for what they are saying.

DeepOcean

Arcane
No doubt the RPS reviewer is a moron, no doubt about that, but a Diablo II clone isn't exactly a game that require intelligence to play. You click monster, monster die, loot drops is that simple. The fact of them not even managing to do that is absolutely hilarious. Well, shovelware developer delivering shit, what an unexpected turn of events.:lol:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The original Sacred team are now working on a spiritual sequel, Unbended. Though it's doubtful it will ever see the light of day.

That Kult Heretic Kingdoms sequel has the original devs working on it too.

Interesting comment from RPS:

Sacred was originally meant to be an adaptation of a Dark Eye module named Armalion back in about 2001. It was supposed to be published by Jowood but they didn’t get along with the original developer (Ikarion) and it was cancelled. Ikarion went bankrupt and the already 2/3 finished Armalion was bought by Ascalon, rebranded as Sacred. It was a modest success but development on Sacred 2 turned out to be so disastrous that Ascalon closed down in 2009. Deep Silver acquired the rights to Sacred and Kalypso most of the rest. Presumably nobody who worked on the original Sacred games was involved with Sacred 3.
It has that in common with Divine Divinity which has an oddly similar backstory. It was an original game with the beautiful name Unless: The Treachery (of Death) but later Attic convinced Larian to turn it into a Dark Eye game. That was The Lady, the Mage and the Knight which was already quite a bit like the later Divine Divinity but it had three main characters and the player would only control one of them at a time while the other two are controlled by the AI. I guess it was supposed to be kind of like Secret of Mana in that way. One ’98 preview even spoke of online co-op but we had to wait until Original Sin for that to happen. However, it was cancelled and partially recycled into Divine Divinity (which was supposed to be just Divinity).
So yeah, Games development in Germany is rough and Larian have no luck with names.
That's why the Elves in both Sacred and Divine Divinity use the language of Dark Eye Elves (words like "sanyasala" and "feyiama" are common).

Eyeball

Arcane
Bad first game gets two equally bad sequels. Quelle surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom