Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Made You Go... Woah

Borelli

Arcane
Well yeah, when facing more powerful enemies you should use more powerful spells, if you are playing a pure mage or a warrior mage (battlemage) type character. And don't forget the power of dual casting, esp. with the right talents. Another great thing was that Skyrim did away with the spell generator all previous TES games had. This might seem like a deal breaker at first to TES purists, but it is actually a good thing as it encourages mage payers to explore the world to find more powerful spells. And also each spell can now have it's own unique effect.

BlaringAncientFlatfish.gif

Deleted member 7219

Jedi Knight, when I saw the first cutscene. It was like they had brought out a new Star Wars movie. Plus, the gameplay was really good and the multiplayer infinitely moddable.

TIE Fighter
When Harkov has you singlehandedly take out a minefield in a TIE Bomber, then betrays you and Thrawn comes to your rescue. Or, when you fly as Vader's wingman to rescue the Emperor

X-Wing Alliance
When you go to that spaceport that is swarming with known EU ships, like the Wild Karrde, the Outrider and Slave 1, or most of the later family missions where your uncle betrays you and tries to sell you out to the Empire. The Imperials show up at your home in force and you have to get out of there. A later mission has you trying to escape from a Super Star Destroyer with swarms of TIEs in your rear view mirror

KOTOR. Realising that finally, a Star Wars RPG had been made. Probably happened when I was at the Academy on Dantooine and got my first lightsaber

KOTOR 2
When Kreia betrays you

Morrowind. Many moments, which typically involved heading out into the wilderness, with that amazing soundtrack playing, and running into something on the road or just around a corner. Never had that in a game since. Finding out ancient secrets by coming across a library or cavern somewhere. The Cavern of the Nerevarine was one such place, but I loved the quests where someone told you to go off and find a book. Yes, a book, how dull does that sound? I loved those moments

Half-Life 2. Not sure when it was but it was when I realised the reviews were right, and this was the best FPS ever made. Loved the atmosphere, the art direction and everything about it. Was one of the first video games I played where I thought something worthwhile had been done with the medium.

Operation Flashpoint
This is actually the same mission PorkyThePaladin talked about in his post. I had exactly the same experience. I've played that mission since, and you are meant to just get a car and head straight for the beach or whatever, but I didn't do that. First, my team were all shot around me while we were in a forest. I hit the ground and I crawled. I saw swarms of tanks. I got to another forest, stood up and ran, and ran, and ran. First game (and probably only since) where I actually felt scared and desperate. I forgot I was playing a video game.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
The first mission, when you have to get back to your house from your place of work. I actually went the wrong way a few times. It was nice to actually be able to do something like that without the game forcing you back. I remember the first time, I got on a motorbike and headed in the complete opposite direction. The bike ran out of fuel. Also, the way you can make choices about what to do when you get back to your house, although they are ultimately shallow

Age of Empires. Played the demo, loved it. I loved ancient stuff as a kid and it seemed like someone had finally made a game with me in mind. I couldn't find it anywhere but when I went on holiday to the USA, it was there in a shop in San Francisco. I bought it then had to spend three weeks not being able to play it, while we travelled around North America.

Age of Empires II. When I saw the first screenshots in a PC magazine. I thought the graphics looked incredible. Those were the days, huh?

GTA III. Didn't think it was possible to make a game that open and that detailed. And then they made things even larger in subsequent game.

Fallout: New Vegas. All the Mr. House moments. Being able to do so much (like an Elder Scrolls game), but have multiple options about how to complete a quest, and have so much choice in who you can side with.

F.E.A.R. Best gunplay I've seen in a video game.

The Last of Us. Someone finally put a truly great story into a non-RPG, non-adventure video game.

Mask of the Betrayer. Starting the game for the first time and hearing the title music.

The Witcher. Witnessing the birth of a new great RPG studio to rival Obsidian.

The Witcher 2. CDPR made another great game, the second time in a row.

There are other games I thought were fantastic when I was a kid, like Theme Park and Command & Conquer but I don't remember that many standout moments. This is a list of just some of the many great moments I've had while playing video games and there are many more that I've forgotten to include.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Plenty. One really stands out though. I'll never forget flying in a big battle in X-wing and seeing all sorts of fireworks going off as fighters, capital ships, frigates, shuttles and the like all clashed with each other. It gave an amazing sense of scale and made me feel like a cog in a big hellish machine. Plus it looked really cool to see all those lasers being fired all over. Bit like that footage from the AA in Baghdad during the first Gulf War. Woah all the way.

polo

Magister
First time for me was Transport Tycoon. It was with a DEMO of TT that came with a magazine, i was like WOW this is what i always wanted.
Some time after that Grim Fandango blew my mind. When the intro cutscene ended i was like... What's going on with this scene? Then i realized i could move Manny and well, my mind was blown, it looked so good.
After that BG2 blew my mind when i was able to be owner of a f*cking castle.
I was young, it was awesome.

Fatty

Augur
Ultima IV (exploration) then TES: Daggerfall (seemingly infinite possibilities, though quickly subdued by bugs) , not again until SMT: Nocturne (not a huge JRPG fan but the game is just almost flawlessly perfect in so many aspects) and hasn't happened since.

Bulba

Learned
the first GTA. Open world where u can steal cars and massacre people with police chases - I've never seen anything even close 20 years ago.

Amn Nom

Learned
A few recent ones:
Dark Souls: That final boss. You learn all about the lore surrounding the conflict, what sacrifices he made, and then you go through the fog gate to see the Lord of Sunlight turned into the Lord of Cinders with that piano music playing in the background. I was weeping like a baby for the entire fight. That is how you evoke emotion in a game.

Divinity Original Sin: Pick an elemental combination, and then proceed to have that elemental combination happen to the tank in my group for the first time. So many things you don't realize are possible until they are done to you. The one that really blew my mind was being able to combo off of elemental corpses, never would have thought to put that into a game.

Saints Row 3: I started with the series here, because fuck bad PC ports. Anyways, I was blown away by the level of customization in the game. It was a thorough roll your face on the keyboard type of game, but I had a lot of fun making my character look exactly how I wanted and then going through the ridiculous campaign.

Dragon's Dogma: The entire combat system really. Best implementation of magic in an ARPG, your magic takes a long time to channel but when that shit is let loose it RIPS. Youtube the tornado spell, my jaw hit the floor the first time I cast that sucker as someone who loves to play mages when possible.

Dark Souls 2: I was having a lot of fun with this until I killed a boss in a windmill, walk into an elevator that goes UP, and then somehow end up in a subterranean area full of lava with a sunken castle. The transition was absolutely jarring and I would go so far to say it ruined the game for me. Normally I wouldn't mind something that jarring because games are... Well gamey. But not here, Dark Souls cemented itself as my second favorite game of all time, after Shadows of Amn, and a large part of that is due to the really intelligent world design and lore, and I'll be damned if I don't hold the sequel up to the standards set by the original.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Morrowind - Just from the perspective of the graphics when I first played it.

Baldurs Gate 2 - I grew up as a console kid so this was my first CRPG, I'd only played console JRPG'S up to this point. Frankly I hated the original dungeon and was seriously thinking of flushing the game down the toilet but then I hit the surface and the game really opened up in Athkatla, the size of the city and things to do made me go whoa at the time.

Gothic 2 - The NPC schedules, and stealing their stuff, wilderness areas where I'd get my arse handed to me, combining twitch and character skill into the combat system, whole package was great (in spite of flaws), when I went back to play Morrowind it seemed a lot more lifeless in comparison.

Grim Fandango - Music, humour, and art style, all great, loved this game.

Blade of Darkness - When I started beating someone with a hacked off limb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom