Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Combat Guide

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios

Wanna learn how to win combat in The Age of Decadence?
This is your chance, watch this fan-made video guide and establish dominance over the popamole nancy-boys who are whining about the combat difficulty in AoD. Like a boss.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Holy shit! I have not played the demo because I don't want to spoil anything. That combat is fucking SWEET! <3

:bounce:

tindrli

Arcane
Holy shit! I have not played the demo because I don't want to spoil anything. That combat is fucking SWEET! <3

:bounce:

it really is, but i cant stop wondering why the hell its not possible to attack diagonally with one handed weapon

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is probably for balance reasons? I trust VD's reasoning for doing so (whatever that is).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't recall the exact reason now. Most likely because you'd get raped hard if you could be hit by 7-8 enemies in a single turn. Plus it makes two-handers more special.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Overall, all properties of a weapon, including its reach, attacks, etc are assigned in the items db and can be easily changed. We can do community-driven "alternative" patches once the game is released.

134500.png

134503.png

kain30

Cipher
my god, AOD it´s looking more good as you show another update :). i think this is the closer to fallout that we can get, no?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's probably for the best if you set Gladius to 2 AP for the player character to indicate that he's just that slightly more awesome than common folks.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
why its not possible to atack diagonaly with one handed weapon??
The way I see it, one of the subtler reasons might be that it adds more flavor/tactical consideration to 1h Spear fighters. Equipped with a Tower Shield, they are quite effective against Rogue/Archer-type combatants. That extra square of range means they can "guard" a little more ground with Attacks of Opportunity, as well.

There are a lot of 'perks' non-STR/CON focused characters can rely on to gain an edge. Alchemy, Nets/Bolas, Feint, Buckler (for a quick Bash/clutch extra AC vs missiles)... even kill-centric characters like Assassins are far more effective when using belt inventory slots to their full potential. It's part of what true tactical combat is all about.

I find that some games inadvertently 'condition' players to treat equipment like popamole, which removes a lot of an RPG's meta-diversity. It's a [traps] check AoD passes quite nicely, by making sure the inventory is there for a reason and does impact how battles play out.

tindrli

Arcane
maybe it would be better to allow it and just put almost insane number of AP to do it.. afterall its just diagonal attack....

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I wonder if the game will be as linear as the beta suggested, i am expecting great things however.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Map related issues. We started with hexes, which work great when you have a lot of empty space or large battlefields but not as good when you have a lot of right angles.

kain30

Cipher
i like that combats are hard. it´s a good challenge. i don´t play much clikfest games were you don´t have to think to win in a combat

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

throwaway

Cipher
I've given the demo a couple of hours in the past but the knoif in belt bag thing was still new to me, possibly a way to suggest that use is needed?
Also how about colour coding the skills affected by the hovered attribute? I imagine that shouldn't be too hard to code and could make the character sheet bit easier to navigate.

Repressed Homosexual
Overall, all properties of a weapon, including its reach, attacks, etc are assigned in the items db and can be easily changed. We can do community-driven "alternative" patches once the game is released.

134500.png

134503.png

Bad idea, you will see soon after release dildo weapons and other nasties thanks to the Codex.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Does it matter what gender the weapon is?
The database is for all items. Some items are gender-specific, like:

noble_female_zps3a3407e3.png

Edit:

Bad idea, you will see soon after release dildo weapons and other nasties thanks to the Codex.
I didn't say we'll release a mod kit (as it would take months to put it together and supporting it would be a headache). More like if people like Brandon (the guy who did the video) who understand the system and want to make radical changes within the existing framework, we'll be more than happy to work with them and offer interesting alternatives/different takes to the gaming community.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom