Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FP Dungeon Crawlers, where to start?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stonekeep is considered "classic" because it is old..... not that it was any good.

It (along with Anvil of Dawn) is considered "classic" because it was amongst the very few CRPGs released in the dark years of 1994-1996. I remember hating it back then and I've not been tempted to play it later.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It (along with Anvil of Dawn) is considered "classic" because it was amongst the very few CRPGs released in the dark years of 1994-1996. I remember hating it back then and I've not been tempted to play it later.

Ahhhhh that explains it Jaesun!

I've never actually played Anvil of Dawn, looks great though. I bought it on GOG, hopefully I'll have time to play it one of these days.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe Sceptic gives Anvil of Dawn a thumbs up (if I am remembering correctly). I still have never played it. I also own it as well.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've never actually played Anvil of Dawn, looks great though. I bought it on GOG, hopefully I'll have time to play it one of these days.

It has decent production values, but very simplistic mechanics. Still, it was fun enough that I would have completed it when I played it last year, if it hadn't crashed on me very near the end.

Nyast

Cipher
Lands of Lore 1 has aged pretty well. I've been replaying it a couple times in the past years :) It's a bit light on the RPG mechanics, but I don't think it's more simple than something like Anvil of Dawn, it's pretty fun, and it has a good balance between combat/exploration/encounters.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Lands of Lore 1 has aged pretty well. I've been replaying it a couple times in the past years :) It's a bit light on the RPG mechanics, but I don't think it's more simple than something like Anvil of Dawn, it's pretty fun, and it has a good balance between combat/exploration/encounters.

Gonna second LoL 1, it's really quite charming little game, and some of the 2d artwork is awesome by even today standards. No better entry then this one...

Heechee

Liturgist
Wizards and Warriors seems to be criminally underrated. The only blobber dungeon I return to, every couple of years.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wizards and Warriors seems to be criminally underrated. The only blobber dungeon I return to, every couple of years.
I heard it doesn't run too well on modern comps?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom