Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Frontiers Interview at RPGWatch

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Frontiers

Frontiers is the open-world, Daggerfall-inspired first person exploration RPG that got funded on Kickstarter in 2013 and that everyone's favorite Codexer villain of the story used to mass PM all of us about. The developers have been churning out updates at a reasonable pace, but the undertaking is massive so the end isn't quite in sight yet.

Meanwhile, our RPG Watch colleagues have done an extensive interview with Frontiers' Lars Simkins and Ryan Span. It focuses on many things, from their inspirations to Kickstarter to the development progress, so I'll just quote a short snippet here:

RPGWatch: Are you aware of the issues that open world games face that makes the story feel completely secondary and not immersive? Do you consider this a problem?

Lars: Yes, but I see those issues as strengths in this game, not problems. That sounds like a ‘my biggest weakness is my perfectionism’ answer. But most of the problems I’ve seen with open-world stories (at least in my experience) stem from the developers trying to tightly control the player’s experience. That ends up feeling flat - there’s no such thing as urgency in a sandbox game unless the player is supplying it. So in FRONTIERS we’ve tried to tell a story that lets the player drive the action. It expects you to travel large distances and to take pit stops along the way. It allows for you to talk to people out of order and to get lost between destinations. If you build a story around exploration and it starts being an either/or thing, where you’re either playing the game or playing the story, that’s when the story becomes secondary.

Ryan: It's only a problem if you make it one. When the goals of the story don't align with those of the player, of course it's going to feel secondary. We've deliberately made the goals in Frontiers stuff that the player will want: More areas to explore and cool new ways to get around where you've already been. We put as few barriers as possible between you and the lovely world you came to see, and give you even more reasons to go out into it.

RPGWatch: You've said you are inspired by Daggerfall. What features does Daggerfall have that are missed or under-represented in today’s games?

Lars: The main thing I loved about the game was the way it dropped you into a world and said absolutely nothing about your place or role in that world. You had to figure that out for yourself. If a dungeon was important it gave you no external sign. There was no beacon on your map - you had to roll up your sleeves and kick in some doors. That total indifference to the player’s actions made the world feel very real to me. I think some of it was accident rather than design, but I enjoyed it whatever the cause.

Most large game worlds tend to revolve around the player, who is usually some messiah - you get the sense that behind every closed door characters are just checking their watch waiting for you to show up and advance the plot. In Daggerfall I felt like they were going about business that had nothing to do with me. Planning murders or writing poetry or whatever. I loved that feeling.​

Daggerfall's world "that had nothing to do with me" may sound a bit at odds with telling "a story that lets the player drive the action", but I guess they mean the feeling of an independent living world in the first case and a kind of "emergent gameplay" in the second. In any case, I'm quite interested in the end result myself. Can two guys make a compelling open-world game? I hope we'll see some day.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The problem with this kind of games is that they need to make THE END so desired, that this urge will draw you to completion. The obvious way of keeping story momentum is to place the nods in-between that are relevant enough to draw you back from whatever stupid fed-side-quest you've been doing in the meantime.

Problem is, those nodes can mean anything to different people. So if the story isn't good and captivating, you will discourage lots of people.

Bottom line is: Story is the most important unless you are reinventing the wheel to roll better (Consoles, MMO, Steam, Minecraft, Occulus or some other technology/marketing stunt). You need to be on the current technological edge of course to really succeed.

Raapys

Arcane
You're getting NPCs to do stuff you want done, rather than the other way around.

Curious. Not many games try that approach, for better or worse.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I backed this game but do have some concerns. In many of his updates he stresses that combat is almost a secondary thought and very basic. It truly is becoming just a hiking simulator and I'm not sure that is enough to sustain interest in playing though it. Maybe (hopefully) it will have a decent story to provide the necessary impetus to continuing playing after going "Ahhhhh, this mountain top view is sure pretty, let me walk over to that other mountain and see the view from there."

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well I think the paths system looks pretty nice on paper, you're not just exploring but you're actively making efficient fast travel possible if you find the best places to put the markers. Could be a fun mechanic, and way more engaging than instant fast travel to anywhere you just farted ala skyrim.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
well in regards to combat, the wording has changed quite a bit, hasn't it.

Used to be, "i loved daggerfall, just had an issue with enjoying the vista/exploring because combat everywhere + setting was only there for me to find combat".
Now they both go out of their way to illustrate it as you guys mention above.

Might be just to make sure the point gets through, avoid the rage posting from the Skyrim boys over this. :nocombatwtf: :wheremydecapanimationbro:
But it might also be because what was initially planned out proved to be a touch off their head, and they had to cut back on it further.

Overall, i think it can be an interesting game, keeping an eye on it, i like how they --appear-- to have managed to make their budget fit their thinking, rather than the usual other way round.

( btw his writer is the one from Malevolence. Anyone that has played it and can comment on writing's quality or lack thereof? )

Railboy

Frontiers
Developer
"But it might also be because what was initially planned out proved to be a touch off their head, and they had to cut back on it further."

This is the case. Even going in with the mindset of 'simple enough to finish with this budget' the sheer amount of work is forcing cuts. I don't want anyone to feel surprised when it's released so I'm harping on the 'simple' thing more than ever.

Ryan's writing is picking up some of the slack. The story has become more important over time.

"I just hope that the game will have good modding scene."

I hope so too. It's moddable as hell. Hopefully it'll catch on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom