Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
I didn't say it was more similar to the Infinity Engine games than PoE, Infinitron, I said it was more similar to D&D.

The attribute system, turn-based, flanking attacks & attacks of opportunity, et cetera. Please, dispute this.

Of course, it's all debatable to a certain extent. It may be completely divorced from D&D in a lot of ways, but PoE has a more strict class system, which is more similar to D&D than D:OS, so I'm sure that settles it all. :3

mastroego

Arcane
We've been over that, you're lying. No one liked those games, no one still plays then, it's all nostalgia.

Remenber when you tried an odd class configuration, just for fun? YOU DIDN'T HAVE FUN. No one has ever had fun with unbalanced builds. Same thing about doing a solo run, no one does that. It's not fun to intentionnaly gimp yourself for a challenge. You only remenber having fun because nostalgia and tint-rosed glasses. Also, because you suck.

Abandon all that and join the balance. It still won't be fun, but it will look good on paper.

Thanks Felipepepe, there were folks who soloed just to abuse of the Staff of Magi.
I wonder what such an item would do in PoE.
+1 to light radius?

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
BG2 and PS:T are significantly better than the other IE games so it makes sense to compare these nostalgia driven games to them. However, BG2 was definitely the type of game that could only be a sequel; the sheer amount of content included in that game would be ludicrous when one was also tasked with creating a setting/premise/engine/initial assets.

Oh my god, it's almost as if against all odds people actually liked the game with the most complexity.
We've been over that, you're lying. No one liked those games, no one still plays then, it's all nostalgia.

Remenber when you tried an odd class configuration, just for fun? YOU DIDN'T HAVE FUN. No one has ever had fun with unbalanced builds. Same thing about doing a solo run, no one does that. It's not fun to intentionnaly gimp yourself for a challenge. You only remenber having fun because nostalgia and tint-rosed glasses. Also, because you suck.

Abandon all that and join the balance. It still won't be fun, but it will look good on paper.

I also, like many others, loved the quest density in Athkatla, enjoyed the hard counters, and enjoyed noncombat spells, and the AD&D mechanics in general. Not going to play the beta but it certainly annoys me when Sawyer speaks out against things that were awesome in favor of stuff inspired by the shittastic D&D4E.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love rolling stats for hours and theory crafting the best way to solo games like this. Too bad Sawyer hates fun and individuality. This game is starting to have a tofu and veggie burger smell to it. All the design decisions were made for our own good just like the type of nanny state Sawyer propagates on his Twitter feed.

Zeriel

Arcane

Thanks Felipepepe, there were folks who soloed just to abuse of the Staff of Magi.
+1 to light radius?

Never thought Staff of Magi was all that, now Robes of Vecna...

Robes of Vecna...

*enters a hypnotic trance*

kris

Arcane
BG2 was BY FAR the most iconic and beloved of the whole bunch.
Just look at how big the mod community was and still is.
(I used to know that community well, I've been a modder of sorts myself).

Oh, I look forward to your eventual breakdown or megalomancial rant.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
+1 to light radius?

:lol:

-1 mm to enemy stealth detection radius and 2% to dispel magic on hit (enemy can still make a will save though).

mastroego

Arcane

Oh please I was a kid and just helped with the code anyway.
I'm just saying that I know perfectly well what BG2 meant for gamers back then.
I'll take this post as my cue to bed-time in any case.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
The attribute system

dos' attribute system is on the exact same level. my wizard put all the points into int to full-auto spells, the warrior stacked only strength and the ranger dex. there were no drawbacks and i face rolled through the fights without the need to ever change the tactics, yet the game is praised like the second coming. seems like larian is into covering blandness very well.

Last edited:

Cynic

Arcane
There was a lot of cool utility spells to play with, that were kept useful even in the epic levels of Throne of Bhall. Stuff like Knock, Protection from Evil, Protection from Petrification, Charm, Identify, Sleep, Invisibility, Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, etc... all these are all on Lv 1-3.

PoE not only doesn't have ANY non-combat spell (which is fucking lazy, as it reduces magic to "damage & buff"), but the fact that spells don't scale with the spellcaster level means they will all be useless in the end-game.

Bullshit. Yeah, all classes have different spells and abilities, that all do the same stuff: buff you or deal damage. Even worse, they all do the same shit outside of combat. Your mage can go around picking locks, sneaking and passing Might tests. There's no difference outside of combat in playing a traditional Rogue/Wizard/Warrior/Mage/Priest/Barbarian party or simply 6 Barbarians. It's one of the most retarded thing I ever saw in a RPG.

Wow it seems like clusterfuck may be correct.

What an epic let down.

Edit: where's your god now Roguey

Cynic

Arcane
Could it be that Roguey's absence confirms the truth? That it is in fact Sawyer? Ropekid/Roguey sounds kind of similar no?

Divinity: Original Sin
I rarely follow these beta/alpha threads, but the general feeling is that the D:OS had a better alpha than W2 and POE betas, and in the case of the W2, it got better and better after sometime, but looks like POE won't get any better even after public beta testing?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yeah Obsidian totally screwed us over by deviating from the DnD systems.

Oh.... wait.... they said they would create there own (different) system on day one of the kickstarter pitch.

It's funny how people now start complaining about things we have known for nearly two years.

We have known about all the design goals (flexible classes, all weapon/armor types are useful in some way, no trash options etc) since the start.
We have known about the seperation between combat abilities and non-combat skills from the start.
We have known about the attribute system for a looooong time.

etc.
etc.

And the funny thing is you can like the system or not like the system. But in the end it's just a different vision with different strenghts and different weaknesses. It's not as black and white as some of you guys portray it to be.

Ok Felipepepe you don't like the system, that's too bad for you. Unfortunately Obsidian isnt making this game just for you. My prediction is that a lot of people (most actualy) will still enjoy the game and will probably even like a lot of the mechanics that you hate.

In other words, no this isnt DnD and it isnt a copy of BG2 (thank god, that would be a waste of time). But it's still in its core an IE like experience and it has a lot of things going for it. But if you're blinded by your very narrow view on whats good and not good design, you will never see it.

Black

Arcane
campaign_projecteternity.png

kris

Arcane

Oh please I was a kid and just helped with the code anyway.
I'm just saying that I know perfectly well what BG2 meant for gamers back then.
I'll take this post as my cue to bed-time in any case.

I don't think you are familiar with the long history of modders that broke down or went into crazy rants are you? Especially the ones on this forum.

- Qwinn

I love the dread in the faces of people, who are just now discovering the ugly truth.
Glad i didn't back this. My instincts about Sawyer were right :D

Sammael

Liturgist
So, what's the Codex verdict on PoE?

I kid. I played the beta (yeah, right, it's nowhere near beta stage yet) for a bit, decided to wait until the worst bugs get squished.

I dislike the system and I think it will be a major turn-off to those expecting a D&D-like experience, but I think it can be fixed to the point where it doesn't suck as much as does right now. Because right now, it sucks major balls.

The reason why the system feels so much different than in IE games? It doesn't actually describe your character - at all. It merely allows you to make different mechanical variations which are in theory all balanced (my spells do less damage, but have a larger radius, etc). In practice, it can be min/maxed just as much as D&D can, but with an added level of blandness which comes from all stats being useful to all characters. Balance should not be the ultimate goal in RPGs; fun should take precedence.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No one can ever say the Codex doesn't have a soul of its own. On most other forums (Obs, Gaf, Watch, Reddit etc.) the general sense is "the beta shows a buggy IE game with with somewhat clusterfucked battles but a shit-ton of potential once tuned and debugged." On the Codex it's RUN FOR THE HILLS FLAMING BUTTHURT (with a few valiant exceptions). I love the Codex.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
As of this post, Roguey has been mentioned in 59 posts in this thread.

The man himself has yet to make an appearance.

The thread calls for a XXX EXTRA HUGE popcorn bucket. Give it some more time.
I'm ready.
GFBVte7.gif

Also just installed the beta to see if it's true that balance fagging a CRPG the Josh way makes it crappy and bland or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom