Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Up to a certain extent, then the unorthodoxy penalty for having too many wives will outstrip the perk's benefits.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Emperor job comes with the 'Unlimited Harem' perk that bypasses the hard-coded limitations on orthodoxy with multiple wives, which you don't have.

Baltika9

Arcane
How many are we limited to, all bonuses and positions accounted for? Does our Unorthodoxy score boost the cap?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You are not limited to any number of wives, just that you can only handle so many without it affecting your reputation adversely, which in turn may prevent more wives from coming to you.

Baltika9

Arcane
'Affect our reputation adversely'...You mean we still haven't maxed our Unorthodoxy score?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
'May prevent more wives from coming to you'. That settles it too, then. We'll have to come to them instead.

Bring out the DEMONZ ending! Off to Europe we go!

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I... I had a thought.

Could it be that Armaiti is actually the Amesha Spenta of Rock, and her current title is just a mistake in the translation?

I feel like another terrible injustice might have happened!

Tribute

Arbiter
BA. I'd vote BB, but there's a chance we'll be injured worse during this fight than the toll the medicine would take on us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Black Dragon Pyre IV

“I’m afraid you are on your own on this one, Brother Zhang,” you say, signalling for your Amesha Spenta to step back. “Good luck!”

“You will not step in?” Nie Wuxing raises his eyebrows; he seems to have expected otherwise.

You merely grin. “I didn’t even get paid for taking care of him the first time. “

Zhang spits – a large, greenish globule splatters near his feet – and snorts disgustedly. “I should have known better than to expect you to see reason. No matter. Once I finish with them you may reconsider my offer.”

“You can throw about that sort of talk if you can finish with us.” Su Liaojing steps up coolly and swings his staff around in a dizzying series of attacks, the long weapon moving so fast that it appears to blur into a solid wall. At the same time, Su Cheng finally makes the decision to move in, executing his Taishan swordplay with unerring precision. Zhang Manxing decides to retreat under their combined assault. As he steps back, he finds Guo Fu blocking off his path – the large Wudang disciple is holding a steady and powerful stance, arms at the ready. He is forced to fight the three of them at once: they exchange blows rapidly, using all of the techniques at their disposal. At the center of it all, Zhang ducks, dodges and retaliates while laughing like a madman.

Suddenly, Su Liaojing makes a beautiful feint. It succeeds, leading Zhang to leave himself open for just a split second. The staff closes in on his skull; his laughter stops, his bloodshot eyes narrow in a burst of concentration, and he jumps. His bandaged hand lashes outwards at the same time, fingers hooked into claws. The staff is knocked away, and with a somersault Zhang lands behind its wielder. Before Su Liaojing can react, a powerful claw-swipe sends him flying, bleeding from furrows running the length of his back. Zhang Manxing makes use of his momentum and follows through with a side-kick that Su Cheng manages to block – at the cost of losing his balance. Laughing, Zhang presses his advantage before Guo Fu can stop him. He charges forward and grabs Su Cheng by the neck.

The Taishan master lets out a yell, struggling to get his words out. “I-I can feel my qi being drained away! Careful! He has learnt how to steal our internal strength!”

Bai Jiutian leaps in, a red gleam surging through her sword. She executes the Zixia Swordplay with stunning speed – only the trails of red qi left behind in the blade’s wake can be seen clearly. Somehow, Zhang Manxing manages to throw himself away safely, escaping with nothing more than a few nicks to show for it as Bai’s fierce slashes tear up the earth. Mao Sanjiao and Song Lingshu attempt to follow up on the attack, but Zhang gives them the slip with ease, sending Mao stumbling to the ground with a chop to the back of his neck. He whirls around and grabs Lingshu, grinning at her. “Guess you’re back with him after gallivanting around with Man Tiger Pig, huh? What a slut.” Slamming a knee into her stomach, he lets her fall, just in time for him to avoid Bai Jiutian’s strike.

“Can’t you orthodox people fight fairly for once? Teaming up on a lone man? I feel utterly disgraced that I once called you my friends and comrades!” exclaims Zhang.

On your part, you think that teaming up on him seems to be working to their detriment; his moves are unfamiliar to them, and he is erratic enough that they are having a hard time reading his moves. Whether it is by design or luck you do not know, but the effect is that he constantly manages to escape their best attempts to corner him.

“Time to pay for your misdeeds, traitor!” roars Nie, charging at his former disciple’s back while he is distracted by Bai. The Chunjun Sword is glowing majestically, evoking the radiance of the sun even in this gloomy weather.

Zhang laughs derisively. “Xixing Great Skill!” With a shout, he stretches out both arms, releasing his qi. A powerful current forms around Zhang Manxing. Even from this distance you can feel its turbulence, and nearer to him it is throwing his opponents off balance. The ones closest are visibly drawn towards Zhang, as if he is sucking them in; Nie Wuxing falls and slams his face into the ground as he is dragged onwards, losing his grip on the Chunjun Sword as it clatters harmlessly to the ground.

“He’s draining them of their qi from a distance,” says Ameretat, squinting.

Vairya looks at you; he does not say anything, but you can feel that he wants to be allowed to join in. Not out of any concern for the orthodox pugilists, but because he sorely wants to test his skills.

Before you can say anything, you hear Nie Wuxing shout.

“Xuantiedun!” A burst of dark yin qi emanates from the Huashan master, breaking Zhang Manxing’s technique. It is the same technique the woman on Taoying Island used, and one of the moves in the Xuanming Jiuyin manual.

The disruption of Zhang’s Xixing Great Skill causes a backlash, throwing him off his feet. As he lands, he screeches happily, “See? See? I knew you had it! Now you’ll have to give-“ His words die in his throat as Bai Jiutian’s sword pierces his good hand, pinning it to the ground.

Zhang screams.

At the same time, Nie Wuxing raises a sword above his head – you recognize it as the replica Xuanyuan Sword – and prepares to sever Zhang’s head from his body.

The scream turns into laughter.

With a forceful shrug of his shoulders, the bandages around his stomach loosen, and a cloud of purple dust spills out, spreading into the air… you knew there was a reason you didn’t feel like committing your forces right away. The orthodox pugilists that had tried to surround him fall away, choking and gasping. Freed from the blade, Zhang Manxing turns towards Bai Jiutian. “Here, have your sword back!” A dull sword slides out from under his cloak, and he shoves it into Bai’s side with a cackle. Bai stumbles back, clutching at the wound.

“This useless trickery is nothing before me!” coughs Nie Wuxing, waving his sword around weakly but defiantly. He seems to be recovering quickly.

Whirling around hurriedly, Zhang blocks Nie’s Xuanyuan Sword with his misshapen arm – it cuts into his flesh, but as the bandages fall away, you see that the arm ends in a sharp spike that seems to be blackened bone and metal where his hand had once been.

Right, you cut it off, didn’t you?

Zhang smashes the sword with his other hand, snapping it in two, and he proceeds to stab Nie Wuxing with the spike. “That was the much vaunted Xuanyuan Sword?” he laughs. “Perhaps it is the sign of this dynasty’s downfall that it broke oh so easily!”

“Father!” shout the twins.

You’ve seen enough. “Get him.”

“As you command,” say your three Amesha Spenta in perfect synchronicity, and he leaps towards Zhang. Armaiti and Ameretat remain still, however.

“Why aren’t the two of you moving?”

“We… don’t really want to get in his way at the moment,” says Armaiti.

Ameretat nods. “We will join in if we need to.”

At the moment Vairya lands, he shouts. The force of his breath blows away the purple dust, scattering it into nothingness. Zhang Manxing pulls away from Nie Wuxing and turns around. A look of surprise forms under his bandages and is met with a fist before it finishes setting in. Vairya’s straight punch sends Zhang staggering back.

“You took my punch without flying this time. I am impressed,” says Vairya. It looks like his admiration does not extend to giving his dizzied opponent a chance to recover, however, as he follows up with an elbow – again to the face – that throws Zhang to the ground. Vairya raises his foot and attempts to stomp on Zhang’s head, but he manages to roll away. Snarling – the first time he has exhibited any expression other than confident arrogance – he pounces at Vairya.

“What… what is this? You said you would not interfere!” he screams at you while lashing out at Vairya wildly. His claws and kicks draw blood, but the Guardian of Metal remains unperturbed.

“Did I? I only said that you were on your own. You must have misheard me,” you say.

Vairya deflects his uncontrolled attacks and grabs his arm, bending it and causing Zhang Manxing to cry out in pain. Drawing his fist back, the Amesha Spenta shouts. His gleaming muscles bulge, concentrating his powerful qi, and the fist is driven into Zhang’s chest with a blow so powerful that the ground underneath their feet seems to ripple. Zhang is sent flying a good distance, only stopping when he crashes into the fortress wall.

“What, is that it?” Vairya seems slightly disappointed. “You have strength and speed,” he says, looking down at the wounds caused by Zhang’s attacks, “but you do not really have the skill to back it up.”

“He does have the endurance of a cockroach, at least,” you comment from the side. “I thought that blow would have killed him.”

“Shut up shut up shut up shut up!” shouts Zhang again as he clambers out of the indent made in the wall, blood pouring from his mouth. He does not seem to be the most stable person around, and considering who is around here, that is saying something. Stretching out his arms, Zhang attempts to use his Xixing Great Skill again.

Vairya finds himself dragged towards Zhang, and reflexively digs his feet into the ground.

“Let’s see how you defeat this move!” boasts Zhang as he redoubles his assault, attempting to draw Vairya closer. Even the collapsed, weakened orthodox pugilists are sliding towards him.

Vairya grins with pleasure. He lets go of his grip on the soil, flying towards Zhang Manxing.

“Hahahahahahahahaha-“ Zhang cuts his laughter short, suddenly realizing what Vairya plans to do, and makes a run for it. He rolls away just before Vairya’s headbutt strikes where his own head would have been, blowing an even bigger hole in the wall.

He begins crawling away from Vairya, looking behind him in panic.

“Shall I end this now, little lord?” says Vairya, cricking his neck and cracking his knuckles.

“I-I-I…” Zhang mutters.

You wonder if he is about to scream for mercy.

“Father! Father, where are you? Help me! They want to kill me!”

His shout rings out across the field, and is answered only by a thunderclap. You look around you. There doesn’t seem to be anything.

“Let’s make sure everyone is safe first,” you say, and it is then that the ground cracks.

Rock and earth erupt upwards with a ear-shattering roar. Through the falling dirt, you see a spindly hand rise up and claw into the ground; a thin, bearded old man tunnels his way up into the light like a demon from the depths of the underworld. His eyes are sewn shut; his nose has been removed. Heavy iron manacles are clapped around his wrists and ankles, though his chest is bare and hollow.

“Oh boy,” you murmur under your breath.

Vairya does not wait for your command: he immediately goes after the newcomer eagerly. Shouting, he throws a fist that has the same amount of strength behind as the one that blew Zhang Manxing away. The blind old man turns, opens his almost toothless mouth, and bites into Vairya’s fist, holding it there like one would an apple.

Vairya attempts to follow through with a kick, but the old man tilts his head upwards, still biting onto that fist in his mouth. The Amesha Spenta finds himself swung into the air before being flung away with a shake of the old man’s neck. He tumbles and lands by your side, a strange mixture of intense interest and slight embarassment on his face.

“That… does not taste good,” mutters Yang Xue, spitting on the ground. “Too tough… too tough. Now where is my son? I heard him calling for me. Where are you?”

“Father, I am here!” screams Zhang as he embraces Yang’s legs. “Help me! These people are trying to kill me! They work for the Emperor!”

“Did the moves I teach you avail to nothing?” The former general shakes his head sternly. “But… no matter. Very well, I shall deal with my son’s enemies!” declares Yang Xue. “I will not let minions of the Emperor stand by and insult my kin any longer!”

You tense up. This could be bad. You can sense a killing intent from him that far surpasses anything you have felt before. The old man is serious this time.

“Xixing Great Skill!” shouts Yang Xue, raising his hands into the air. The ravaged ground under his feet cracks, the earth shudders, and the wind begins to rise. The clouds above his head are drawn into a spiral as his immense qi blankets the land… and begins to pull. You can feel your qi leaving your body at the same time.

“Grab hold of something!” you shout out; clawing the ground, you hang on for dear life as Yang Xue’s technique draws in everything in sight.

“Perhaps I should try headbutting him,” Vairya muses besides you – his fist embedded deep in the earth to secure his position. He doesn’t seem to fear Yang Xue at all, even after that display of oral strength.

There is a sudden burst of powerful qi. An invisible wind slices the land in front of Yang Xue – his concentration broken, he stops using his technique. Dozens of bodies drop to the ground, groaning in pain.

The Sword Saint is standing atop the wall alone, holding his heavy Zhanlu Sword aloft with his one hand. A faint look of regret can be seen in his eyes. “I did not expect this to happen,” he says, leaping down to join you. “What exactly is going on?”

“Crazy young man and crazy old man trying to kill us all,” you summarize. You can’t help but look over at Cao’er and the rest of your group, who are attempting to hold together – with the number of wounded people that you are looking after, fighting Yang Xue and Zhang Manxing here may be quite problematic. More worryingly, you don’t see Xuezi anywhere – did she get blown away in the fight just now? You’ll have to get one of your companions to look for her.

“Kill, kill all these sanctimonious, hypocritical bastards!” shouts Zhang. Yang roars in agreement.

You feel the exhaustion wearing away, and energy rushing throughout your body. It looks like the medicine has taken effect.

A. The target of this fight is to escape safely. You will order a retreating action and fend off Yang Xue and Zhang Manxing as best as you can. You might not be able to save everyone, but this way you should be able to save those that matter.

B. You will take the fight to the enemy while the noncombatants retreat as far as they can: with the Sword Saint and Vairya together, it should not be impossible to defeat or force them to retreat. You will focus on Yang Xue, as he is the biggest threat here. Zhang Manxing can be dealt with by someone else.

C. You will have everyone still able to attack Yang Xue and fend him off while those who cannot will pull back – at the same time, you will go after Zhang Manxing with those you can spare to aid you. You would prefer to handle him personally… there’s no telling what other tricks he might have up his sleeve.

A. You take the risk of using Wuxiang Qiankun.

B. You don’t take the risk of using Wuxiang Qiankun.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
“Father! Father, where are you? Help me! They want to kill me!”

His shout rings out across the field, and is answered only by a thunderclap.
Huh. That was surprisingly effective. Here, let me WQS that.

"Father! Father, where are you? WATCH ME AND BE PROUD!"

BA

Edit: Huh, the description of the choices have changed. Maybe I should rethink leaving the non-combatants without protection while manxing is at large.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
xA

Fantastic update! I kinda would have liked to pick up skills from Yang Xue, but an opportunity to practice WQS is fine, too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Those who can't handle a fight with Yang will keep an eye on Zhang, though he's still no slouch himself. C just means you make the choice to do that. Otherwise it's similar to B in most other aspects.

A means everyone makes a fighting retreat.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
On your part, you think that teaming up on him seems to be working to their detriment; his moves are unfamiliar to them, and
Don't leave us hanging there. :)

Nevill

Arcane
Brothers.

In a moment of indecision.

In a moment of hesitation.

In a moment of doubt.

You need only to ask yourself, "What would Zhang Jue do?", and

Nevill

Arcane
Don't narrow the meaning of the universal wisdom! Let the imagination soar! :rpgcodex:

Besides, we are years too early to land a kick on LORD Zhang.

Esquilax

Arcane
Zhang smashes the sword with his other hand, snapping it in two, and he proceeds to stab Nie Wuxing with the spike. “That was the much vaunted Xuanyuan Sword?” he laughs. “Perhaps it is the sign of this dynasty’s downfall that it broke oh so easily!”

treave, what sort of condition is Nie Wuxing is? Is he barely alive? As enticing as the prospect of a manly fight between these juggernauts of the jianghu is, I am a bit wary of devoting our full attention to Yang Xue and Son to protect the man who ended up murdering Big Wang and the Abbot in somewhat similar circumstances. Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid, but I can't help but feel that Wuxing would sense a great opportunity in this situation.

However, the opportunity for an awesome fight with all of these badasses in place is way too cool for me to pass up. I'll vote BA for now, though I could flop to something more conservative if I get the feeling that something might happen to us while we're busy dealing with Crazy Yang.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom