Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview with indie RPG developers

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here is an <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=143>overview</a> (and a handy reference guide) of the indie "industry": who does what, how, and why, and what do these people have to offer. It's a long read, so go get some popcorn.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>8. Dialogues. What role do dialogues play in your game? Why? Are there great lines like "I saw a mudcrab the other day" or "Elvish, motherfucker! Do you speak it?" in your game?</b>
<br>
<br>
Thomas: Dialogue in any RPG is critical to establishing the game world and advancing the storyline. Eschalon handles dialogue via a branching system with different responses based on quest flags. It is simple yet effective and allows the player to have multiple responses to most situations based on how they want to play their character. Overall we’ve chosen to keep the dialogue a bit leaner compared to other contemporary RPGs to more closely match the flow of a classic RPG. As for great lines, I guess the player will need to make that judgment for themselves!</blockquoute>

Amasius

Augur
Very interesting read even though Mr. Weller is sometimes unusually tight-lipped. :P

Four "old-school" RPgs and it's remarkably how different they'll be. I wasn't very interested in Depths of Peril (real-time action-RPG, as if there are not enough on the market :roll: ) but some ideas sound very interesting. I'll keep an eye on it too. :)

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
So which one of these games is going to be the closest to Arcanum? ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Amasius said:
Very interesting read even though Mr. Weller is sometimes unusually tight-lipped. :P
I didn't have a lot of time, but I didn't want to delay the interview either.

Four "old-school" RPgs and it's remarkably how different they'll be.
That was the idea. Too bad Alan Miranda, formerly of Bioware, currently of Ossian Studios, couldn't join us and talk about his new project. We'll have to talk to him later.

Amasius

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
I didn't have a lot of time, but I didn't want to delay the interview either.
I'm not complaining, there is fortunately no shortage on informations about AoD.

Vault Dweller said:
That was the idea. Too bad Alan Miranda, formerly of Bioware, currently of Ossian Studios, couldn't join us and talk about his new project. We'll have to talk to him later.
Darkness over Daggerford wasn't my cup of tea, but I hope this time he gets money for his work.

MountainWest

Scholar
Good read!

We do use a few non-human creatures, but they are very rare, and they are intelligent enough (most likely smarter than you are) to communicate with, to be reasoned with, to manipulate you, and, of course, they have their own agendas. They do fit the setting and the story, and killing them is not mandatory. If you do decide to kill one, you better be one hell of a fighter.

In any other game this would be a no-brainer if you're on a quest for the ultimate l00t. Considering your design philosophies, can I assume killing a mighty meanie might result in him/her/it dying and nothing else (and by "nothing else" I mean that an unnecessary killing might actually come back and bite you in the ass)?

Text-adventures. Love them to death. I think they add a lot of depth and atmosphere, so we use them quite a lot, from adding a touch or two to a quest to disarming traps and even in certain fights.

This is the feature I'm the single most excited about. With text-adventures you can never be sure what will happen next. Only the imagination sets the boundaries. Will they be as extensive and complex as those in Space Rangers 2? Or even more so?

Off topic, but these interviews made me think of it: Any news regarding Michael McCarthys "Dropship"? I'm craving an RPG free from the regular settings.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Damn, I wish I had more time to respond to this. Great interview, I loved the contrast in approaches etc. The Depths of Peril is relatively new to me, but I like the "consequences" angle. If you're lucky, I'll squeeze some time in tommorow and add some other thoughts (there are a good amount). Brace 4 Awesome.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MountainWest said:
Considering your design philosophies, can I assume killing a mighty meanie might result in him/her/it dying and nothing else (and by "nothing else" I mean that an unnecessary killing might actually come back and bite your ass)?
Yep.

Ladonna

Arcane
Nice. Its great that you guys have done this. More please.

Also, did you ask Wolf Mittag? I am guessing you forgot....He seems to enjoy answering questions usually :lol:

dagorkan

Arbiter
LCJr. said:
You interviewed yourself?

Lol.

Also,

Steven: I don't know if I talk about this every interview, but I'll add a little more about the consequences of your actions in the world, especially when it comes to quests. We try to make as many of our quests both interesting and actually matter to the player. I'll give a couple examples.

Some quests affect the world before they have been solved.

Reply got cut short?

Nedrah

Erudite
Wow, great read.
I wasn't even aware that there are at least four games in production right now that justify some anticipation and excitement. Does anyone have an idea how far into development they are / how long until the games (/a demo) will be out?

Vault Dweller

Developer
LCJr. said:
Yes, although I see it more as inviting 3 buddies over and discussing various things. If I ask you "Hey, what do you think about this Rome show?", do I have the right to offer you my opinion as well, thus answering my own question?

Anyway, the purpose of the interview was to present indie games in development side-by-side. Since AoD is a well know game in development, it would have been more silly not to include it, than to talk about some of its features.

Vault Dweller said:
LCJr. said:
Yes, although I see it more as inviting 3 buddies over and discussing various things. If I ask you "Hey, what do you think about this Rome show?", do I have the right to offer you my opinion as well, thus answering my own question?

Anyway, the purpose of the interview was to present indie games in development side-by-side. Since AoD is a well know game in development, it would have been more silly not to include it, than to talk about some of its features.
*cough*news-item reply*cough*

elander_

Arbiter
"Thomas: Eschalon uses a turn-based combat system very similar to any other turn-based RPG. The only difference is that you are only controlling a single character and not an entire party, so a combat turn flows much quicker than other party-based turn-based games. I think I had mentioned in another interview that the overall mechanics of Eschalon feels very similar to a Rogue-like RPG."

Interesting.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The interview has innovashin!

Interesting read. I'm already well informed and sold on 3 of the projects already so it's hard for me to keep interested for any of this preview type stuff. I'm still not sure if DoP is really even an RPG, but I liked what I heard.

Also, I don't think i've heard anything about Alan Miranda or Ossian Studios. What's the story there? Did they announced a game?

Vault Dweller

Developer
FrancoTAU said:
Also, I don't think i've heard anything about Alan Miranda or Ossian Studios. What's the story there? Did they announced a game?
http://nwn.bioware.com/players/profile_daggerford.html

"...a professional game development house based in Vancouver, BC. Ossian Studios, headed by former BioWare producer Alan Miranda, has completed work on a huge 25-30 Neverwinter Nights adventure called Darkness over Daggerford. Formally a Premium Module, this adventure is huge enough to stand as its own expansion pack with new creatures, features, and content never seen before. We talk with Alan about his studio's work:"

mytgroo

Scholar
No one seems to have a date when these things are going to be released. Do you guys have Poe syndrome. Release dates please. Even fake ones will make me happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom