Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga countdown ends, game officially announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Seven Dragon Saga; Tactical Simulations Interactive

In the two weeks since TSI's "secret" Seven Dragon Saga website was revealed here on the Codex, the site has received sporadic updates - mainly artwork of the setting's various races and classes. On Sunday, an official-looking announcement appeared there, which we received again in the form of an official press release today, the final day of the countdown. Here's what it said:

Seven Dragon Saga – the epic RPG debut title from Tactical Simulations Interactive

New independent video games studio formed by SSI alumni, updates “Gold Box” RPG experience with modern tech and new core gaming system

Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI) is excited to officially announce Seven Dragon Saga – an original RPG for PC, Mac, and Linux, based upon an original pen and paper role-playing system designed by former Strategic Simulations Interactive (SSI) alumni Keith Brors and David Shelley.

Seven Dragon Saga takes place in a high-powered fantasy universe, revolving around the Empire of the Seven Dragons. Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Saga provides the player with effective heroes right from the start, with TSI aiming to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI’s ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

This is not a tale of farmers or aspiring novices learning how to swing a sword; Seven Dragon Saga is a tale about the use of power. Players will need to assemble a brave troupe of adventurers “touched by the winds of the chaos”. Known as the Touched, these brave adventurers will face the unknown, and embark on a quest to discover hidden truths and determine the fate of the Empire.

It is the Emperor’s role to proclaim.
It is the Dragons’ role to command.
It is the role of the Touched to act, without hesitation and without regret.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, Seven Dragon Saga, said:
“Seven Dragon Saga provides a robust rules system and fresh campaign setting for us to draw from. We’re adapting the pen and paper system as the seed to develop a compelling game experience, creating the type of strategy fantasy game our team is known for.”

Seven Dragon Saga sets a new standard for intricate turn-based combat that can be adapted to your party’s strengths. Explore a new high fantasy realm, recruit powerful NPCs, and craft useful items during your party’s quest to discover lost secrets and transform the world. Key features include:

• Classic RPG / Modern Gameplay:
Create a full party under your total control right from the start. Venture forth to uncover lost secrets in an original fantasy setting.

• Strategic Combat:
Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.

• Weigh Your Decisions:
One group’s ally is another faction’s enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?

• Proven Technology:
Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

Tactical Simulations Interactive will reveal more details about Seven Dragon Saga in the near future.
Interesting - destructible environments and choice & consequence are a pretty unique choice for this genre. In any case, the countdown on the official TSI site just ended (I guess it was calibrated to GMT?), and in its place are now the contents of the secret site, the URL of which now redirects to the official one. There isn't really any new information there though, which makes the whole thing seem like a bit of a cop out. But at least they sent us some high-resolution artwork, which I'll post in this thread.

Dorateen

Arcane
Not just a dwarf, it's a Dwarf Knight!

I've been liking that image of the ruins. I can see that as a static picture accompanying a descriptive text window, when the party approaches that location in first person exploration mode. If they can design the game true to the roots of the Gold Box engine, it will be amazing.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
3D stylized look turned based rpg using unity... thats not shadowrun. If they manage to provide a detailed world filled with interesting quests and npc's, i might just think this is good news.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
now that i see those pics in high res, there's something off about all of them, but especially the elf and the dwarf. can't quite put my finger on it... and the dwarf's axe is bent.

ColCol

Arcane
I may be wrong, but when this first was being talked about I thought it was said to be wuxia based.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like how interest in this went from high to zero at blinding speed.

m_s0

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't really see the Wuxia in them aside from bits of the dwarf, just standard western fantasy.
I may be wrong, but when this first was being talked about I thought it was said to be wuxia based.

It seems that they saw the WRPG fan nerdrage and decided to remove/downplay that aspect.
Great. I'm guessing tb combat is getting axed next, then?

I don't think turn-based combat is something that would trigger nerdrage in their intended audience.

The wuxia stuff only appeared in the description of the Seven Dragon Saga PnP ruleset. It was never actually on the computer game's site.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
why would wuxia trigger nerdrage? it's pretty much what all doo gooder rpgs are.

m_s0

Arcane
I don't really see the Wuxia in them aside from bits of the dwarf, just standard western fantasy.

It seems that they saw the WRPG fan nerdrage and decided to remove/downplay that aspect.

I don't think turn-based combat is something that would trigger nerdrage in their intended audience.
Probably not in the Gold-Box crowd, but I doubt that's their only intended audience for SDS.

Also, I wanted something that wasn't another generic fantasy setting, dammit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am still cautiously optimistic about this, even if wuxia/sci-fi setting triggered my interest much more than generic fantasy with some slight eastern influences. ;)
Although I fear it will be another Deathfire when it comes to funding/development.

Bulba

Learned

Probably not in the Gold-Box crowd, but I doubt that's their only intended audience for SDS.

Also, I wanted something that wasn't another generic fantasy setting, dammit.

lol so they rename staff, just because I decided to rename potato into pork it still stays shitty potato

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

Wasn't Shadowrun Returns developed using Moai instead of Unity?

Mildly interested until further notice.

It was, but then it wasn't. They switched early on without really telling anybody until months later.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Officially open for business!
by TSI | Sep 3, 2014 | Game Development, TSI | 0 comments

We’ve had a few hiccups on the social media side of things, but the majority of the team has been heads down on the game itself. We are hoping our site will offer content and greater context that will give you an idea of what we are all about at TSI. We encourage you to offer your input so, we don’t just make a game we love but one that you’ll be thrilled about as well.

As gamers ourselves, we check out a bunch of game forums and see most of the comments. People have every right to wonder what kind of game we’re making and share their feelings about what they want AND expect.

Our new website is up with our own forums, so now, you have a dedicated place to engage with the team at TSI and other fans excited about the old school RPG’s we’re making. Keep in mind, we’re not a large team, currently, therefore, community management is something we’ll be ramping up over time. We do, however, have a vision of where we want to go, a plan to get there and a path we’re taking. Your input is important to us and we hope you’ll be patient as we strive our utmost, to deliver. Seven Dragons Saga is an original IP: we’re an independent studio that doesn’t have to answer to a publisher or anyone else. The only thing we have to do, is meet our own high standards for a quality game and keep building on that experience to deliver the kind of games you want to play.

http://www.tsi-games.com/officially-open-for-business/

Implicitly admitting they are lurking the Codex

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
If 'Seven Dragon Saga' feels like playing a 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' game then I'll be interested.

Septaryeth

Augur
I would have never guess this as wuxia-inspired if you guys didn't mention it.
Will there be more "eastern culture" references other than the names?

Found the website. The thing that may have came the close is this Drakyri Archer.
drakyri-archer.png

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
now that i see those pics in high res, there's something off about all of them, but especially the elf and the dwarf. can't quite put my finger on it... and the dwarf's axe is bent.
The proportions definitely seem a bit off in places. On the barbarian with the two swords too; her left arm looks short and stunted.

But otherwise, I like the art direction so far. Classic high fantasy with a slightly Eastern twist. With dwarves. I'm intrigued.

oscar

Arcane
I would have liked something more firmly East Asian and Sci Fi.

Hm we're the first site to show up when one googles 'Seven Dragon Saga'. Now I almost feel bad for my harsh comments about the (now password protected) PnP sites writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom