Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gondolin

Arcane
One quibble, though (because this is the Codex): I'm not crazy about the voice acting.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Notice that the movement is less abstract and more simulated than in PoE, with characters speeding up to run towards farther destinations and slowing down to walk towards nearer ones. That's okay in combat because turn-based, but even outside of combat I'm not a huge fan of that.

I like the movement. Dunno how practical it will be, but it looks much more natural than PoE (which kind of saddens me and I can only wish they'd do a reverse technology swap and share this animation system with PoE)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the movement. Dunno how practical it will be, but it looks much more natural than PoE (which kind of saddens me and I can only wish they'd do a reverse technology swap and share this animation system with PoE)

Animations really look better than PoE eventhough TToN is in pre-alpha stage.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah, this is going to be the best out of all the Kickstarter games. This looks fucking incredible. The atmosphere alone already has me more hyped than PE.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Looks amazing!

Though, there is so!ething about the art-style that personally doesn't sit right with me.

Eh, maybe I just need time.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Quick website update: most of the kinks are now sorted out and we are dealing with some more fringe issues like weird reward combinations, Kickstarter-era discounts and other things like that. Thanks for your patience if one of you is still waiting on a reply or has an outstanding issue, but we'll hopefully have most of the major stuff dusted off some time tomorrow (and ready for Wasteland 2 launch).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You don't want to have movement like that in real time combat. Trust me.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It could be adjusted for combat mode, a wider stance, less runny inertia...It looks a lot better for just running about.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
That said, the environments look a bit plastic-y and somehow more 3D than PoE's. Could be the zoom? Dunno.

Prime Junta

They nailed the atmosphere, that's for sure. That mix of pseudo-medieval squalor, alien beings, and rusted sci-fi somehow adds up to something eerily Sigil-esque. And that music of course.

Suddenly feeling a lot better for backing this for a somewhat foolish amount of money. Trying to not get overhyped this early on. Maybe they'll spend all the budget on cloaks and we'll only get that single area or something.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks good so far, no complaints.

The fact that tides are so completely visible is the only thing that doesn't agree with me, but eh.

Better first impression than than PoE.

Starwars

Arcane
It looks a bit "plastic-y" I think, and the textures don't look great. Might be cause it's so early in the going but it has a ways to go until it reaches the rugged, rusty beauty of PS:T if that's what it's aiming for. I also hope there won't be as much voiceacting overall as there is in the video.

Still, it looks immensely good even at this stage. Very promising, much moreso than I thought it would be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Press release:

Newport Beach, California – September 17, 2014 – inXile Entertainment is proud to present a first glimpse video of Torment: Tides of Numenera, the #1 most funded Kickstarter video game of all time and thematic successor to the cult classic Planescape: Torment: http://tormentRPG.com

The video contains 3 minutes of pre-alpha footage from Torment: Tides of Numenera, which is currently wrapping up preproduction as inXile’s Wasteland 2 launches this Friday. A cross-section of Torment gameplay, this first-glimpse shows an example of the narrative and choice-based focus of the upcoming cRPG and a taste of the look and atmosphere inXile is aiming for in the first video game representation of Monte Cook’s Numenera RPG setting (http://montecookgames.com/). Most of the video is set in one of Torment's weirder areas; the Bloom, a city of hardy settlers who live on and inside a giant, transdimensional parasitical creature.

inXile has also launched a new website for Torment: Tides of Numenera. The new-look website offers more options for existing backers, with a full set of options to manage existing pledges. Anyone who missed the Kickstarter can still jump on board, and any money raised this way will continue to bolster Torment's development budget.

The new website is available at http://tormentRPG.com

aeonsim

Augur
Apart from the scene with the door, the background art in the bloom looks like it needs another pass or two by the artists. They've done a better job with the out doors scenes, but the blooms organic background just looks blurry and plasticy rather than organic.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The lore bit in Update #32 is great! I am very impressed. Have you guys noticed how it describes a situation of a conflict where both sides have save game/load game power? Holy shit. I love when such metagaming concepts are being deconstructed and integrated into lore/narrative. This is exactly what a Torment game should be doing, as PST did it with reloading after getting killed, etc. Big thumbs up, inXile.
:greatjob: :thumbsup:

--------------------------------------

Reposting my video impressions from news thread:

This is the Kickstarter I backed the most ($125, which is A LOT of money for me), because Torment is by far my most beloved game. And while I had little hope that inXile will be able to create something comparable, I was willing to bet just for an off chance of that happening.

Recently I have been thinking that this game has no chance of matching the overall quality of original Torment, because I read some retrospectives which reminded me how great that game was when it comes to setting, characters, story, overall writing, visual and audio design and the overall, how to say it 'imagination richness' of the game.

After watching this video, my worries are maybe not completely gone, but largely reduced. It seems that nailed the basics, at least. Hopefully, the whole package will feel right too.

Do not fail me, inXile.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1385768165590.gif

kain30

Cipher
I´ve seen the trailer 10 times now, and i don´t get sick of it, looks a worthy sucessor (but maybe it´s too soon and hype talk for me). i hope inxile becomes the next black isle/troika games and keep doing good quality rpgs :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Companion list: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/game/about/four-pillars

Deep, Interesting Companions
The nature of your character is such that you attract others: powerful but fundamentally broken people who seek out your presence. They might hold some of your answers, and they might be some of your deepest allies; or they might be among your most dangerous enemies. Some examples of companions might include:
  • A fallen priest who pulls writhing tattoos from his arms to spill horror upon his foes.
  • A nano who toyed with the fabric of space one too many times and now lives a fractured existence, living parallel lives in multiple universes and timestreams all at once.
  • A cold, calculating jack with a blade in her pocket and acid in her soul, who carries mind-altering mists around her neck, and who has found a way to control light and shadow.
  • A boy who seeks only adventure and glory, who leaps blindly into the most ridiculously dangerous situations imaginable and--surprisingly--emerging from them brighter and more powerful than he was before... but whose existence is a torment its own.
  • A sibyl with no body of her own, who speaks through the mouth of a man whose mind is broken beyond repair.
These people need your help. You can make them whole, or you can make them strong for your mission; even if it means their ultimate doom.

Creatures:
  • The water-breathing mutants known as the Ghibra try to aid the air-breathing refugees who have fled to the Oasis through the Lost Sea, even as they struggle to guard their own culture.
  • The lumbering, insectoid Stichus excavate a 200-million-year-old complex where ancient dwellers once experimented with tearing apart space and time.
  • The pack hunters called the broken hounds, vulturine scavengers with the bodies of canines and avian skulls, are the bane of travelers.
  • A protean thing--that seems to be an adorable pet but that responds to your commands and your treatment--can shape itself to fit your will. It could be anything from a waxen ball of goo that can communicate with any sentient creature to a hulking beast of tooth and claw.

It's interesting to compare these with the lists from the vision document back in April 2013: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxMevjNSr2EjRXBlY0l1RmpuaWM/edit

The nature of your character is such that you attract others: powerful but fundamentally broken people who seek out your presence. They might hold some of your answers, and they might be some of your deepest allies—or they might be among your most dangerous enemies. Some examples of companions might include:

• A fallen priest who pulls his writhing tattoos from his arms to spill horror upon his foes
• A cold, calculating jack with a blade in her pocket and acid in her soul, who carries mind-altering mists around her neck, and who has found a way to control light and shadow
• A sibyl whose visions of the world refract through her madness and who can see your other castoff siblings for what they are
• A crippled beggar who devours magic to feed his addiction to the energies that flow through the numenera—and who can call upon that power to blast his foes with waves of pure force
• An ultradimensional traveler who peers through the veil of flesh to the life forces beneath, and who is capable of snuffing those forces with a thought

These people need your help. You can make them whole, or you can make them strong for your mission— even if it means their ultimate doom.

• The lumbering insectoid known as the Stichus dwells in the warm and moist interiors of a vast, semisentient predator-city.
• The pack hunters called the broken hounds, vulturine scavengers with the bodies of canines and avian skulls, are the bane of travelers.
• A protean thing that seems to be an adorable pet but that responds to your commands and your treatment can shape itself to fit your will. It could be anything from a waxen ball of goo that can communicate with any sentient creature to a hulking beast of tooth and claw. Perhaps it will be one of your companions.

The boy and the nano seem new. But does that mean the beggar and ultradimensional traveler were cut? Or maybe they're actually the same characters, repurposed? If they're all in, then that's eight companions altogether including The Toy.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the nano is probably that ultradimensional traveler remake. And maybe they unified sibyl with the beggar since she is using someones body now.

Adam Heine

Arcane
Developer
The boy and the nano seem new. But does that mean the beggar and ultradimensional traveler were cut? Or maybe they're actually the same characters, repurposed?

I think the ultradimensional traveler is the same character as the nano, with some revisions/refinements. The crippled beggar is still in our design, but he didn't make the companion cut, hence his disappearance from that particular list :)

Knut

Educated
i love the descriptive text ( slight color distinction from spoken text is very nice) and a sense of an alien world without fucking elves and dwarves, one that could be actually exciting to explore.
UI looks very good, the portraits at the side are a great touch, animations are decent and the art looks beautiful.

obviously there are things to iron out, and as a personal preference i would love for portraits to be more painterly, with more visible strokes (a'la Jason Manley) than this smudged as we see now. i also wonder if they will manage to capture the nice clean feel of artwork in numenera in outdoor areas and futuristic details.

anyway, this is the only kickstarter that i'm actually counting on to bring back my boyish excitement for videogames. i dare to feel a bit hyped... :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom