Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News GrimoireGate: Cleve Blakemore in trademark dispute with impostor Grimoire

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cleveland Mark Blakemore; Golden Era Games; Grimoire (Omniconnection); Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar; Omniconnection

Several months ago, Codex legend Cleveland Mark Blakemore launched a new and exciting phase in the long-running development of his magnum opus, Grimoire. Having finally brought down the number of bugs in the game to a manageable level, he began a countdown, crossing them off one by one. When the last bug was eliminated, the game would enter a final testing phase pending its final release. Unfortunately, it appears that events have conspired to put a hitch in Cleve's plans.

Back in April, the Codex first took notice of a certain game that was in development. Described as a "fast-paced multiplayer FPS combat meets tactical MOBA inspired magic... with wizards!", it appears to have begun development sometime before 2014, but no earlier than late 2012. The developers are an indie modder outfit named Omniconnecton with a somewhat peculiar history. The game's title? Grimoire. Uh oh.

Cleve himself, as well as a number of his fans and followers, immediately informed the folks at Omniconnection of their infringement on his title. Cleve was also advised to file an official trademark for Grimoire. But he did not take the threat of the false Grimoire seriously. It was incredibly obscure, and a Google Search for "Grimoire" made it clear that Cleve's Grimoire was the only Grimoire in town. Surely the folks at Omniconnection would change the name when they realized that. After all, what kind of name is "Grimoire" for an FPS, anyway?

Well, that's not what happened.

Fast forward to September 12th. Omniconnection's impostor Grimoire comes back into the limelight in a big way, with a Kickstarter campaign and Steam Greenlight page. And not only that, it turns out that back in April, they'd filed a trademark of their own for the name "Grimoire". It is unclear whether the trademark was filed before or after they'd been informed of the existence of the original Grimoire, but regardless, they must have been aware of it during the long months it took for the trademark to be finalized.

Although advised that the wisest course might be to ignore these events and let the Kickstarter languish in obscurity, this was a threat the great Neanderthal felt he could not ignore. Submitting his customary $1 pledge to gain access to the Kickstarter's comments section, Cleve declared war on the false Grimoire. Opposing him was one Ryan Morrison, superhero-themed "Video Game Attorney" and Omniconnection's legal representative.

Each side brought in reinforcements. On Cleve's side, the Kodex Kleve Kult lept into action, launching a pro-Blakemore Twitter account (since taken down), a legal defense fund (also taken down), and even a White House petition, not to mention dozens of comments in Cleve's support. Mr. Morrison, meanwhile, no doubt hoping to capitalize on the controversy to assist his clients' fundraising efforts, used his connections to bring in the heavy guns - mainstream media coverage. Namely, an article by Andy Chalk over at PC Gamer. Meanwhile, gaming has-beens luminaries such as Derek Smart, Guido Henkel and Rebecca Heineman stood on the sidelines and laughed.

And that's more or less where we stand today. Realizing that his threats are falling on deaf ears, Cleve has finally committed to seeking legal assistance to block the false Grimoire. What happens now is anyone's guess.

To be honest, I can't endorse Cleve's unsympathetic response to Andy Chalk's attempts to get more information on the controversy. And he had plenty of opportunities to avoid this mess altogether. He could have tried harder to reach a behind-the-scenes settlement. He could have filed that trademark himself. He could have filed an opposition to Omniconnection's trademark. Heck, he could have even just submitted Grimoire to Steam Greenlight all the way back in 2012, and that might well have been enough to prevent Omniconnection's Grimoire from ever existing under that name.

Nevertheless, the situation is clearly unjust. As a member of the RPG Codex, I cannot help but side with the oldschool RPG over the "multiplayer FPS with MOBA elements". And besides, Cleve may be an asshole, but he's our asshole. That being said, for now all we can do is watch as a hilarious new chapter in the interminable Grimoire saga unfolds. Grab your popcorn, gentlemen, for GrimoireGate is upon us.

Grimoire keeps on delivering.

kFNapWQ.gif

polo

Magister
This game provides so much fun, even when is not released yet. Hell i didn't even play the demo and i'm having so much fun.
:kfc:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Doesn't anyone remember when Exitium posted front page news with red font bashing Cleve over forum fodder? Exitium lost his newsie job over it and his life spiraled into a black abyss of Pepsi and spine punching.

Man, do I miss the old days :salute:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
TAKE DOWN MY GRAPHICS! I WITHDRAW THE RIGHT FOR YOU TO USE MY GRAPHICS!

Where is that post? Too funny

Unwanted

MasterBlaster

Andhaira
Andhaira
I registered just to post over this 'controversy'. Lawyers are quite expensive though, and this Morrison character is supporting Fake Grimoire for free. It's quite obvious why: He is currently one of the few 'Video Game Attorneys' I only know of one other, a female at that. He also knows the way to gain popularity is by attracting the attentions of SJWs who are the most vocal group in vidya games at this point and also the greatest potential clients, what with their regular fights and indignation and the thousands of retards willing to monetarily support them (which means they can pay Morrison)

Therefore, I do believe regardless of the outcome, Morrison will be the only winner of this battle due to increased awareness he will raise about himself. Unless if Cleve can get him utterly humiliated somehow, or by forcing his client to pay through the nose of Cleve's legal fee's, lost wages (time spent fighting the case is time spent not working) and emotional distress to him and his family (which can be worth millions)

titus

Arcane
Patron
Omniconnection Shitstarter might actually make it now with all this publicity.
This. Cleve's reputation and tactics don't help him one bit, obviously.
They are painting him as a joke who is "harassing" the helpless indie devs. Hopefully this won't hold in a court of law, but he really needs to change tactics if he wants some sympathy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hopefully this won't hold in a court of law, but he really needs to change tactics if he wants some sympathy.

I think that ship sailed when Cleve clarified his opinions on race relations.

gromit

Arcane
This didn't have to happen. Cleve let it happen, by taking no steps to protect his project... for almost two decades, and even when he became aware of a potential conflict. Now he's very angry at other people. I would go as far as to say he chose this, but you just know he sat there being self-important, thinking everyone will step out of his way in reverence.

I feel for him. I do. But if he's "Codex Family" this is one of the times you're supposed to slap your brother, ask what the fuck he was thinking, and maybe let him eat a little shit for it.

My heart goes out to whatever judge or arbitrator has to listen to him explain why he's the exception to yet another rule.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This didn't have to happen. Cleve let it happen, by taking no steps to protect his project... for almost two decades, and even when he became aware of a potential conflict. Now he's very angry at other people. I would go as far as to say he chose this, but you just know he sat there being self-important, thinking everyone will step out of his way in reverence.

I feel for him. I do. But if he's "Codex Family" this is one of the times you're supposed to slap your brother, ask what the fuck he was thinking, and maybe let him eat a little shit for it.

My heart goes out to whatever judge or arbitrator has to listen to him explain why he's the exception to yet another rule.

Yes, the OmniConnection guys are behaving like assholes, but the world is full of assholes. Cleve could have protected himself easily by either putting Grimoire on Steam Greenlight first, or even applying for a trademark first. It's easy to apply for one. Contrast that with Brian Fargo who applied for a Torment trademark before anyone had any inkling about TToN. All of this shitstorm is actually providing much needed boost to their Kickstarter. What better way to get free publicity!

Weasel
All of this shitstorm is actually providing much needed boost to their Kickstarter. What better way to get free publicity!
Unless this news becomes more more widespread though, I'd still expect their kickstarter to tank given where it is minus the dodgy $5k. Still, Morrison is clearly doing his best to milk this for all he's worth. I wonder who will get the most publicity out of this... there are probably many people looking into Cleve for the first time after reading one of the articles. He could end up with a lot of new followers... and a lot more SJW enemies once some of his previous posts are dug up again.

titus

Arcane
Patron
So you want Cleve to stake his livelihood on a rushed, buggy release?
Obviously not. But this might motivate him to get out of the bunker fix the last 14 bugs he has been working on for 3 years.
Why not? Early(well, late...) beta is all the rage now. Also, with samurai you fight like samurai, with thieves you fight like thieves... or something like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom