Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

toroid

Arcane
The only thing I took away from that was a headache. WTF was that supposed to be?

Murk

Arcane
The intro theme to that animu (attack on titan) started some pseudo-meme where people play the song over other shit going on.

toroid

Arcane
There's a guy named Seraphim7 or something like that on YouTube that made a fuckton of PvP videos. If you skim through enough of his videos, you're bound to find a bunch of cheap PvP builds (he hates them) as well as "fair" ones. I remember one build he used specifically to punish those triple-ganker parties in the forest (I don't remember a lot about it but it involved some quick-casted pyro spell and a high-damage hornet ring weapon).

TheSeraphim17? I'm watching some of these now. This is pretty much what I had in mind. Focused on melee, except I'll probably start at a lower level and then level up whenever I want to move on.

So, I've been playing low SL Pyro (SL6, leveled nothing but DEX) for around 14 hours, almost always in human form, and I have not even been invaded once. I figured there'd be some low level invaders in the Burg or the Depths.. Nope. I even skipped killing the Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles to ensure that I could have a place to go to get invaded at very low SL. I see others' summon signs, and I see invasion fog doors occasionally and the bonfires do go out, but nobody ever invades. WTF? Is that normal? UPnP shows as "Available, In Use" and NAT Type shows as "Open".
I have like 500 hours of Dark Souls experience on the xbawks, and have just started playing on PC for the first time, and I hope this GFWL shit isn't fucking my multiplayer.

Anyways, got a +5 Divine Reinforced Club, +8 Estoc, +6 Grass Crest Shield and Spider Shield, decently upgraded armor, +11 Pyro Flame, and I'm about to hit the Catacombs for a fire weapon (Falchion probably) in preparation for Blighttown.

Edit: Just realized that I'm so looking forward to seeing the difference in framerate between console Blighttown and PC Blighttown. So far it's been a lot smoother on PC, it feels so much better with a high framerate. I can get parries almost all the time now.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
last time i played online on PC (last year :( fucking GFWL :x) it was barren except for Oolacile and the occasional duel in the Burg (but poolacile was muuuuch more active)

Caim

Arcane
I got invaded at a pretty high level yesterday, inside the church in Anor Londo.

Sunbro kept the guy locked in a narrow hallway and I kept spamming magic until he died. Praise the Sun!

toroid

Arcane
Been running around in the Catacombs at SL6 with 50000+ souls and 23 humanity for a few hours trying to get a Falchion to drop. (Kinda stressful since a couple of hits from anything there will kill me. I hate having that much soft humanity, though the defense boost is great.) The point being, does the Falchion need an exceptionally high item discovery rate to drop, or what? I don't remember it taking so long to drop one before. I could just run into Blighttown and loot the Falchion there but that kinda goes against my plan of having a fire Falchion before fighting the Gaping Dragon and stepping into Blighttown.

Murk

Arcane
Got the master key? If so, go the reverse route to blight town.

I have gotten a falchion maybe... twice from drops, ever.

Gozma

Arcane
I remember getting piles of scimitars and no falchions ever from running through Catacombs.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Don't Falchions and Scimitars have that flippy dodge attack replacing the kick?

toroid

Arcane
I believe all the curved swords replace the kick with the slash-backflip.

EDIT:
Jeez, finally. But then ten minutes later another one dropped. And then another one dropped in the graveyard while I was making my way back to Firelink. Fucking RNG.

EDIT AGAIN:
I know I'm overdue to play more Dark Souls when I hear this song playing in my head.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So, Dark Souls PC port is a piece of shit. Expected it to be bad, but not this bad.

I have an Phenom II X3 720, 8gb of memory and a GTX 660 and game runs something between 15 and 30 FPS. I tried both with the game as is and with DSfix installed. Curiously, using the latter to raise the resolution doesn't really make it all that much worse. Whether at original resolution or at high resolution, the game always shifts constantly between 15 and 30 FPS. Unlocking the FPS gets me as high as 45 at best, but constantly dropping below 20 FPS whenever i move around.

Is this how its supposed to be, because in this state the game is unplayable. I would experiment with overclocking my GPU but i doubt it would make a difference. If my specs aren't sufficient there's probably nothing that can be done, unless its a bug of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeriel

Arcane
An X3 720 is pretty awful in this day and age to be honest, but it's well known that Dark Souls 1 doesn't perform as well as it should. The sequel is a lot better on PC (though I still think it's a pretty bad port).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm talking about the starting area here, which i don't think ought to be so demanding. There doesn't seem to be a logic on how the frame rate drops. The boss fight was relatively smooth, but the whole part where you walk around the castle walls was a constant series of annoying drops.

30-45 would be perfectly playable (doesn't the gameplay brakes though if you go past 30? I heard something about that), but those sub 20 FPS drops are too much. But if you are getting such good results i guess its all about the CPU.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
The i5-2500k is many magnitudes better than a X3 720, yeah. But the fact he can't stay at 60 fps hints at the bad optimization, I've never had FPS issues in Dark Souls 2 as an example, even with everything turned up.

I played it with a few issues on an X3 720 and an AMD 5770, but nothing nearly as bad as you describe. Mostly it was fine except for some boss fights with certain particle effects. If I'm not mistaken, the 660 should outperform a 5770. Only difference might be the CPU; I was able to unlock the 4th core on mine. That should make no practical difference though, since I'm skeptical the game uses multiple cores.

Some people are reporting improvements by unlocking the framerate like you would to use 60 fps in dsfix, but then cap the framerate at 30. Might be worth a shot. Also make sure vsync is off.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, i just OC my CPU from 2.8 to 3.2 ghz and now i'm getting a solid 50-60 FPS. Jesus Christ. I guess i know what to upgrade next.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So, now that i seem to have solved that problem, is it true that the game is best played at 30 FPS?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I played it without problem on E7200 on 3.2 GHz. GTX 660 was running in power saving mode. (P5 to be more correct, P8 aka deep saving mode wasn't enough for full speed)

There is definitely zero problem with playing it on i7-4820K and Rampage IV Black Edition.

Haswell overclockable dual core is for 80$ or so, and quality MB is for <200$. The only problem is DDR3 which didn't drop down after that fire in the factory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom