Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King of Dragon Pass

Jora

Arcane
denizsi said:
All this talk got me excited. I'm downloading this at the moment. I'll pay the guys via paypal sometime next week but I won't ask for a cd or a manual. So tell me if there is anything you know missing from the version at isohunt, or anything else.
Be nice to the ducks. Seriously.

cutterjohn

Cipher
It's a nice game, but it eventually gets boring and is VERY old as in I originally bought it something like 8 or 9 years ago and at that time I think it had been out for over a year.

BTW: If anything this should go into either the strategy forum or the general discussion forum as it is by no means even remotely an RPG of any sort.

[EDIT]
Just to clarify I own the Mac version, not the Windows version which may have come out later. And yes, it looks like it'd be hardcoded to a particular resolution but the line art and other art is very well done, if limited.

Sort of goes with the boring part as after a while you'll be seeing the same art and the same problems(?) again and again and again and ... ad nauseum.
[/EDIT]

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
All this talk got me excited. I'm downloading this at the moment. I'll pay the guys via paypal sometime next week but I won't ask for a cd or a manual. So tell me if there is anything you know missing from the version at isohunt, or anything else.

The manual. Ask the guys at A Sharp to send ou the manual per email or something if you pay them. I don't have the manual, but I read that it is a greeeeat help in the beginning.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Dammit. This game doesn't work on Vista.

That did it. I will never EVER install Vista. I'd rather wait for the very unlikely thing to happen, namely for a Vista emulator being released for XP so I can play DX10 games.

denizsi

Arcane
I'd rather wait for the very unlikely thing to happen, namely for a Vista emulator being released for XP so I can play DX10 games.

With a decent setup, I'm sure Vista and Dx10 games will work just fine on a virtual machine, but even that is too much of a hassle.

Kotario

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
The manual. Ask the guys at A Sharp to send ou the manual per email or something if you pay them. I don't have the manual, but I read that it is a greeeeat help in the beginning.
It really is, I can attest to that.

For five dollars, they will send you a link to a PDF copy of the manual. They still sell the game as well, albeit as burned copies since the printing run is long over.

CutterJohn, from what I can recall, there is only one version of the game that is compatible with both Mac and Windows.

Kotario

Liturgist
This is what David Dunham, one of the developers, has to say on the subject of a windowed mode:
Is it possible to play in windowed mode?

No. I no longer remember the details, but we queried our beta testers for how they would want this to work, and there was no consensus.
You might want to try something like Virtual PC, and see if that will work.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kotario said:
This is what David Dunham, one of the developers, has to say on the subject of a windowed mode:
Is it possible to play in windowed mode?

No. I no longer remember the details, but we queried our beta testers for how they would want this to work, and there was no consensus.
You might want to try something like Virtual PC, and see if that will work.

Stupid designers. If there is no consensus, that means you make it an option so that people can choose what they like. It's good that their game-designing skills were better than their UI-design skills...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Kotario said:
CutterJohn, from what I can recall, there is only one version of the game that is compatible with both Mac and Windows.
You are correct, however, the mac version actually looked like it was written for the mac rather than just being a port and most mac games of that time would ONLY use a fixed resolution whereas the Windows version may not which is what I was trying to get at.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
FUCK!

Isn't there any way to beat Jaldon Goldentooth? I have 150 weaponthanes and 600 footmen, but everytime I send soldiers to face the fucker he kills everyone.

I also have about 300+ magic but the game won't let me use it against that son of a bicth.

Advice?

Who is Jaldon Goldentooth?

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
He is a Praxian war hero also known has the incarnation of death.

Oh and nevermind the matter resolved itself.

*SPOILER*

Remember Derik who's parrents were killed by praxians? He grows up, becomes a excellent fighter with a burning hate for praxians and then decides to leave your tula to seek a better fate.

He comes back later after Goldentooth raids your clan and then kills him in single combat.

Romanian_Dude2005 said:
He is a Praxian war hero also known has the incarnation of death.

Oh and nevermind the matter resolved itself.

*SPOILER*

Remember Derik who's parrents were killed by praxians? He grows up, becomes a excellent fighter with a burning hate for praxians and then decides to leave your tula to seek a better fate.

He comes back later after Goldentooth raids your clan and then kills him in single combat.

So the game actually has an overarching plotline sort of thing? I assumed it was just build-random issues-build-recruit etc until you're the daddy.

No it was more like a sub-quest plotline I believe it could have evolved alot more diferently since I've allwais had the chance of acting like a dick to Derik in his childhood and keeping him from becoming a great hero, but I think it had to happen because my clan has a tradition for hating Praxian people.

Just about everything in the game is random, but some of the chooices you make have branching conscequences. For example my warriors found the dead body of a dragonnewt in the forrest, so I decided to take it's hide and make it into a magical armor. A few months later that dragonewt comes back to life and insists I give him back his body. I reloaded a couple of times to see if I could avoid this, since I wanted to keep the armor on my tribe king, but it allwais happends 2 seasons after I found his body. Some goes for the Derik, you have to wait 15 years for him to become a man and if you decide to allow him to leave your clan you'll see that the chooice will come back later in the game.

The storyline is about uniting the tribes into a kingdom and becoming king. The only events that are non-random in the storyline is being visited by Milk-Eye and being tolled to form a tribe and later a kingdom.

taxacaria

Scholar
hrm - found a used copy - $173 only - at amazon. Must be a joke.
Strong price for a 7 year old game.
I've tested the demo, and I'm willing to buy it at a reasonable price.
But there is no shop selling it.
:(

Kotario

Liturgist
taxacaria said:
hrm - found a used copy - $173 only - at amazon. Must be a joke.
Strong price for a 7 year old game.
I've tested the demo, and I'm willing to buy it for a reasonable price.
But there is no shop selling it.
:(
E-mail David at A#, and he will sell you a burned copy/PDF manual for twenty dollars (the printing run ended long ago, they don't have any boxed copies left).

If you want a boxed copy, you occasionally find one on E-Bay, though from my experience it will cost at least sixty dollars.

Ladonna

Arcane
I emailed David 3 weeks ago....nothing.

Maybe his wife misconstrued my email :lol:

taxacaria

Scholar
Kotario said:
E-mail David at A#, and he will sell you a burned copy/PDF manual for twenty dollars (the printing run ended long ago, they don't have any boxed copies left).
Thxs, I'll try to contact David.

Ladonna said:
:lol:
Seriously, I wonder why he seems not to be interested in earning some bucks.
I'm hoping that he'll respond.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Ladonna said:

Why would she do that? Did you offer some alternative form of payment or something?

:lol:

Allright I finished the game, I was disapointed the there was a end game because I wanted to reach a population of 10.000 before winning so I reloaded and this time I avoided becoming a King, but it turns out that the game still ended because someone else became king in my place.

Great game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom