Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Go full TB or just dont bother, it just leads to abominations like DA (or POE). Also it makes my buying decision easier, i can just avoid all the twitch crap. Too many excellent TB games at the moment.

The fully stocked potion table is another example of the handholding and dumbing down. Thanks for the "big fight ahead" sign.. I saw somewhere that you need to make tactical decisions about your potions (other than healing since these are taken care of by the magic table). So if you are in the cave of Firebelch the Fireballing Firemage, dont take the cold resistance pots! ( secret tip from a day 1 hint guide, available for only $25 ! )

eremita

Savant
Looks like DA2 with much better colors and lighting, and somewhat better graphix.

Roguey's day -1 prediction that this would be a better-executed DA2 is proving on-the-money so far.
Of course, it has the same Lead... Every developer will do his thing, no matter what they say. It's the essence of creative process vs duplicating. Sawyer said they're gonna make BG2-like game, yet it's not like IE games at all (I'm not complaining, I actually like PoE so far, although I do have concerns about the combat...). For the first time, Laidlaw's team got the money and time, so now is the time to prove their worth. If this game turns out to be bad overall, there are no excuses - DAI's devs are hacks...

I like the UI so far, it's minimalistic and is in contrast with rest of the game. (Interface is meta, imho should be distinguishable from the game itself - its overall audiovisual presentation.)

eremita

Savant
Looks like DA2 with much better colors and lighting, and somewhat better graphix.

Roguey's day -1 prediction that this would be a better-executed DA2 is proving on-the-money so far.

The leaked ending is about as retarded as ME3's and just as incomprehensibly hamfisted as DA2's. The further dumbed down mechanics are a disgrace. The only positive thing I can say is the world may be larger, but who cares if the gameplay is such a railroad and the dungeons are just as railroaded and cramped?
Can you enlighten me with source of these informations?

eremita

Savant
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515339-health-and-healing-a-view-from-the-outside/
Patrick Weekes's defense of a trainwreck live.
As we have shown and announced more of the gameplay features in Inquisition, some of our fans have voiced concerns about one feature in particular: the removal of healing spells from the game.
[...]
In Dragon Age: Inquisition, I tend to swashbuckle in real time without pausing except to use items. I only go into the Tactical Camera mode to closely manage fights after I've died at least twice, and even then, it's something that I turn on, make a few commands, and then turn off. I am by no means a tactical expert.

I've completed two playthroughs of Dragon Age: Inquisition on Normal, and I'm now working through a playthrough on Hard. Here were my concerns, and here is what I've found and how I've handled things.
[...]
Restocking Options: Most large dungeons and missions give you the chance to replenish your potions before particularly difficult fights. If you're going through a dungeon and you see a potion-restock table sitting beside an imposing door covered with ancient runes, this is our friendly level designers saying, "We love you, players. Have some more potions. Also, maybe consider saving your game here."As I said, I almost never ran out of potions. When I did, it was because I had tried to push through a dungeon that I knew early on I wasn't ready for yet, and even then, I was able to limp bloodily through the last fights.
[...]
Camps are good for all kinds of reasons. You return to full health, and your healing potions instantly restock,

Also, tactical camera confirmed as being useless in normal, and possibly hard mode (if a mediocre ass can do normal without using it, a decent RPG player might not need it in hard either). For those who actually believed that you could make a hybrid game somehow (which is utter bullshit).
Well, shit... I hope it changes with different difficulty. No restocking options in the middle of dungeon on nightmare.:rpgcodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Never be surprised at any news of Bioware deciding it's better to coddle their bad players.

The removal of the healer role and personalized levelling is undeniable decline.
It's undeniable incline. Fuck costless healing and fuck attributes.

dryan

Arcane
Biowhores are so easy to please:

MTelVig.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Patrick Weekes said:
I played Dragon Age: Origins on Normal and considered dropping it to Easy on several occasions. I played Dragon Age II on Normal and could not beat the High Dragon in Act 3 because Isabela, Merrill, Aveline, and Double-Daggers Hawke is possibly not an optimized combat build. I also ended up saying, "Wow, dude, no," to single combat with the Arishok and had Aveline tank him while I ran around stabbing people in the kidneys.
Scruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuub.

Like Sawyer, amirite :troll:

#justeasthavengoblinthings
Sawyer's an explainer, not a coddler. There's a difference between "I didn't explain these mechanics well enough to you, I'll try to be more clear next time," and "Let's provide the illusion of difficulty."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
awyer's an explainer, not a coddler. There's a difference between "I didn't explain these mechanics well enough to you, I'll try to be more clear next time," and "Let's provide the illusion of difficulty."

So if I find an instance where he made the game easier with referals to players "not getting it", you'll retract this statement?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So if I find an instance where he made the game easier with referals to players "not getting it", you'll retract this statement?
You can try, but I doubt you'll find one. IWD2, NV: both more demanding than their predecessors.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm talking about PoE design.
If there's any illusion of difficulty that wasn't also present in the IE games, go ahead and bring it up.

Too lazy to search. I just remember us having countless discussions about Easthaven and other examples. It is completely clear that you should buy equipment before taking on the goblins there btw, it's mentioned in the first conversation of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too lazy to search. I just remember us having countless discussions about Easthaven and other examples. It is completely clear that you should buy equipment before taking on the goblins there btw, it's mentioned in the first conversation of the game.
As I mentioned before, the guy negs you by saying the shopkeeper overcharges, leading one to believe that you can make do without it until you find stuff for free.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As I mentioned before, the guy negs you by saying the shopkeeper overcharges, leading one to believe that you can make do without it until you find stuff for free.

You see how that makes a player decide? You can kill the goblins without equipment (pretty easily in fact), it's just that it ain't optimal. I don't see the problem with giving the player an informed choice.

eremita

Savant
Never be surprised at any news of Bioware deciding it's better to coddle their bad players.

The removal of the healer role and personalized levelling is undeniable decline.
It's undeniable incline. Fuck costless healing and fuck attributes.
Is it really so fucking hard to adapt your design in a way that filthy casuals and core players are satisfied? I'm talking only about strategy here. Things like no restock/no regenerating ability etc. - you just enable/disable them based on difficulty. And this is not just Dragon Age. I'm yet to play a game, in which I DON'T HAVE to restrict myself from design decisions catering to retards. In BG2, if they would just disable rest option in specific areas, the game would change significantly.

Rake

Arcane
I'm talking about PoE design.
If there's any illusion of difficulty that wasn't also present in the IE games, go ahead and bring it up.

Don't search far. I'm p.sure Sawyer said that he will change the way monks play (one of his personal favorite classes) because players don't "get" how they work

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/515339-health-and-healing-a-view-from-the-outside/
Patrick Weekes's defense of a trainwreck live.
As we have shown and announced more of the gameplay features in Inquisition, some of our fans have voiced concerns about one feature in particular: the removal of healing spells from the game.
[...]
In Dragon Age: Inquisition, I tend to swashbuckle in real time without pausing except to use items. I only go into the Tactical Camera mode to closely manage fights after I've died at least twice, and even then, it's something that I turn on, make a few commands, and then turn off. I am by no means a tactical expert.

I've completed two playthroughs of Dragon Age: Inquisition on Normal, and I'm now working through a playthrough on Hard. Here were my concerns, and here is what I've found and how I've handled things.
[...]
Restocking Options: Most large dungeons and missions give you the chance to replenish your potions before particularly difficult fights. If you're going through a dungeon and you see a potion-restock table sitting beside an imposing door covered with ancient runes, this is our friendly level designers saying, "We love you, players. Have some more potions. Also, maybe consider saving your game here."As I said, I almost never ran out of potions. When I did, it was because I had tried to push through a dungeon that I knew early on I wasn't ready for yet, and even then, I was able to limp bloodily through the last fights.
[...]
Camps are good for all kinds of reasons. You return to full health, and your healing potions instantly restock,

Also, tactical camera confirmed as being useless in normal, and possibly hard mode (if a mediocre ass can do normal without using it, a decent RPG player might not need it in hard either). For those who actually believed that you could make a hybrid game somehow (which is utter bullshit).

MAN reading that thread gave me cancer :x

those fucktards are so fucking lost. they want to fight on normal/hard( but dont use tactical camera cause thats a fucking nuisance...) and boast about that but still dont want to have even a smallest challenge and simply breeze through those fights. god forbid they play it wrong. i fucking hate this demanding attitude to be able to play the way they want. every fucking way...
you fucked up and your team is left with 2 potions and 25% of healthbar? outrageous !!! its games fault! why cant i fight like i want?(in this case like a retard)
there is a fucker who said that he didnt find ME3 on story mode easy enough :x:x:x i know they are mentally retarded but are they also physically incapable of pressing one fucking AWESOME button ?

there is another one who felt insulted when one of devs said that his 7 years old son finished prologue on easy without dying...how dare he compare his sons abilities to a full grown adult:lol:

so devs removed basic spammable healing spell, instant regeneration after fight and unlimited amount of potions you can carry and expect you to use your fucking brain ( crowd control, chocke points etc. ) during fights and to think in long terms when clearing a big dungeon and it is somehow a step back compared to DAO/DA2? :lol::lol::lol:

ffs you still have 8 potions for the whole team, some kind of healing grenades you can craft, unique aoe healing spell based on focus, and probably fucktone skills like barrier or magic armor to prevent damage. there will be camps with restock option probably every 10 fucking minutes, there is a fucking fast travel if you find yourself overwelmed but BSNtards still complain :retarded:

I dont expect a fucking Knight of Chalice experience from this game its fucking modern Bioware afterall but at least let it be a casualized version of Dragons Dogma and i will be ok with it:negative:

pippin

I was hoping this game might turn out decent, not as good as DA:O but al'right. The removal of the healer role and personalized levelling is undeniable decline.
It would be cool if there was a big uproar with retarded petitions and whining that made Bioware rethink it's shit decisions. But I guess that only happens when Bioware devs do horrible shit like make elves not look like humans, or make companions have sexual preferences.

Oddly enough, there's a big number of people who only used Wynne as a mage precisely for her healing spells, dismissing Morrigan because they couldn't find a real use for her, as if her buffing/debuffing potential wasn't there.
And then there's the fact that Morrigan's romance is only available for cishet scum :smug:

a casualized version of Dragons Dogma
It is still not the time to be this desperate. The games aren't even alike.
>open world
>shitty main plot
>fuckton of romancable characters
>big ass monsters to kill in party based combat with clear restrictions in gameplay between different classes

:troll:

naaah but seriously during last twich stream they showed rogue basic attack animations and they looked like a carbon copy of DD`s dual wielding classes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom