Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PHAT LOOT Poll

When playing a CRPG, what style of PHAT LOOT do you like to find:

• Unique objects with their own histories and distinctive appearance (eg BG/IWD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Components that the player can use to craft their own stuff (eg KOTOR Lightsabers)

• Objects with randomly generated properite with sockets for some customisation (eg Diablo II)

• Minimal PHAT LOOT - cocnentrate more on storyline/romances! (eg Jade Empire)

• Total voters

Fez

Erudite
I like item crafting, but finding unique items too is always a bonus. If it has a story and unusual abilities that make it stand out then that does add to the game for me. I was disappointed with the unique lightsabers in the KOTOR as they were not as good as the generic ones, I can remember finding one in an Ancient tomb in KOTOR2 that was essentially worthless.

The PS:T/BG way was best for items. It gave the items character beyond simply being phat lewt and made them part of the story and background to it. If they have a good story, be it pre-written or player made (won in some epic quest and combat) then they are trophies as well as weapons. I know quite a few people hoard these items and don't sell them all off in RPGs.

Chork

Scholar
Surgey said:
That's why I prefer crafting. That way, if magic weapons of your type are rare, then you can just make one. NWN2's crafting system wasn't bad. I don't know why things required "essences," though. Having the spell and the feat is enough, I thought.
The essences and gems took the place of the GP/XP costs, if I'm not mistaken.

Zomg

Arbiter
Why is the fourth poll option designed to be unpalatable?

Loot focused gameplay is fucking garbage, no matter how you jigger the system. A lot of elaborate crafting, randomizing or socketing bullshit betrays an unhealthy focus on a "loot system".

Throne of Bhaal was more like Throne of Monty Haul in many ways. Every soldier you were killing had +2 weapons and +3 chainmail or something. That got a little....ridiculous, to say the least.

I actually didn't really mind Throne of Bhaal though. Some of the sidequests were decent, and one was one of the best quests in a Bioware game. Of course I did get it for a measly five US dollars. So it could curb any negativity slightly.

hicksman

Liturgist
I like lots of loot, which is another reason that i hated NWN now that i think of it. I vote the first. I read every description. It really adds to the game. Plus there wasnt that much to read in the game besides, so it was ok.

I also remember in BG2 the flail pieces that you could collect and put together. I guess thats more like the second choice, but i thought that was a really cool thing to do.

Surgey

Scholar
Chork said:
Surgey said:
That's why I prefer crafting. That way, if magic weapons of your type are rare, then you can just make one. NWN2's crafting system wasn't bad. I don't know why things required "essences," though. Having the spell and the feat is enough, I thought.
The essences and gems took the place of the GP/XP costs, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, nevermind, the essences were a good thing then.

Texas Red

Whiner
Fez said:
I like item crafting, but finding unique items too is always a bonus. If it has a story and unusual abilities that make it stand out then that does add to the game for me. I was disappointed with the unique lightsabers in the KOTOR as they were not as good as the generic ones, I can remember finding one in an Ancient tomb in KOTOR2 that was essentially worthless.

If I recall correctly most of the stuff you get from those tombs in both KotORs were worthless junk, even though it apparently belonged to ludicrusly powerful and ancient Sith lords. Once you get your sabre you have to stick with it. It would be much more fun if you had to actually choose between average, but powerful, weapons and new varieties of lightsabres(not just those stones and such).

However, in the end it doesnt make any difference because both of these games hold no challenge at all.

suibhne

Erudite
I like items with interesting flavor texts, because I like cultural/political/historical detail in a gameworld. The only problem is that most characters shouldn't have the ability to actually know an item's history.

I've thought about a system in which such knowledge actually produces the item's power, so a magic sword would only function magically once a player was able to research and understand its lineage. This could be something as simple as a "power word", which D&D often uses, but it could be much more interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom