Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game mechanic ideas you wish had been better implemented

JMab

Augur
Maybe you've heard of it, but there was a Kickstarter for a project called CLANG by the sci-fi writer Neal Stephenson and some of his buddies. The idea was to create a realistic medieval fencing simulator and then wrap an RPG around it later on. They were thinking along similar lines, that keyboard and mouse wouldn't be sufficient, so the plan was to create a custom controller that looked similar to a lightsaber handle. Player could hold it like a sword hilt and perform realistic moves which the computer would capture and translate into sword movements. They raised like half a million dollars, but failed to convince anyone else to sponsor it, so as far as I know it's canned or at least on the shelf now.

The best current hope for interesting melee combat is a game called Kingdom Come: Deliverance from a Czech studio. Maybe you heard of it as well. The devs claim the combat is modeled on real historical fencing techniques, and they brought in fencing experts to help them create the system. The game is currently being developed, so they haven't revealed completely how it's going to work yet. Based on what was revealed so far, it will have inverse kinematics (swords will stop when hitting other objects), 3 basic sword attacks (slash, thrust, and pommel strike) that can target 6 different body areas, so 18 overall, and a parrying/prompting system. The latter will require the player to actively parry an enemy strike in time, which will initiate a short period of "bullet-time" during which there will be prompts on the screen for various follow up moves. At this point, it's hard to tell how well it will work exactly without seeing it in action, but the guys behind this game have made some pretty good realistic combat systems in the past (Operation Flashpoint, Mafia).

Yeah, I discovered CLANG about a month ago, when it had gone quiet, prior to it being cancelled. My thought at the time was similar to one of Neal Stephenson's points in his cancel announcement - they seemed to prioritise historical accuracy too much over pure and simple fun of swordfighting. I think the focus for games needs to be fun gameplay number one, with the mechanics built to support the fun.

I'm following KC: D a bit too, I think those guys will get it right. If the game is successful, I think it will raise the bar for melee-based games. It should make it less acceptable for other devs to just have a melee attack button anyway. Different attack types (slash, thrust, etc), various hit targets and targeted parrying/blocking should be a minimum. Not sure about the bullet-time thing though - hope it doesn't just trigger a quick time event sequence. With mostly, or better yet fully, dynamic animation, I would have thought you should be able to trade blows in realtime.

I hope that with KC: D that melee combat still requires thought and timing when you reach higher levels. As opposed to Skyrim, where you quickly become a tank that just needs to spam the attack button to roll over all foes. They seem like pretty clued up guys, so I have faith. I loved Operation Flashpoint in it's day, I thought it was ahead of it's time. I remember them patching in hardware transformation and lighting, which was a big thing to do at the time. Made me think that they like pushing the technical edge, so I hope that KC: D carries the banner forward from Mount and Blade to continue the incline of melee-based combat!

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The mechanics of magic vs combat are usually pretty shit, too. I hate that magical spells are fueled by 'mana' that can be conveniently recovered by potions, allowing you to spam fireballs ad infinitum. The 'memorisation' system in Forgotten Realms games isn't much better.

The way I see it, channeling and shaping magic is mentally straining. Therefore the number of spells you can cast should be a function of willpower, where 'mana' is replaced by mental fatigue. Buff and summoning spells would constantly increase mental fatigue, and having more than one buff/summon at a time would incur a penalty to mental drain (multitasking is hard!). Once you hit the maximum allowable mental fatigue, your caster drops to the ground in a coma. This seems like a sensible way to stop magic from being OP'ed.

Or use too much magic and it drains your life force. It takes some years off your life. If you over do it, you will not be able to continue your adventure. Of course there will be life or death situations, where you will be forced to make that choice.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
More thoughts on hand-to-hand combat, maybe going slightly OT...

It's simply impossible to recreate a realistic melee combat situation. I gave this much thought over the years, as I've been into different martial arts for the best part of the last 20 years now, and have been playing games since much before.

There almost never is any accounting for fatigue and stamina. Even without swinging a zweihaender around or trading blows relentlessly, just being "in combat" is mentally and physically exhausting. As the fight goes on, one's hits become sloppier, harder to deliver, slower, less precise, less effective. The same happens to his reaction times, his guard, his dodging, everything. It's a fucking mess. After 15 minutes of "fighting", even standing straight with one's guard up is a hell of a tolling job for the body and the mind. The more shit you add, the harder it gets (armour, shield, sword, dual swords, etc). Even a trained "warrior" suffers from this, at his own level. Just watch any match of any combat discipline for proof.

And this is without even accounting for terrain, weather, and actually being hit or wounded. The whole HP system is inherently flawed to begin with. Or, it could be used way better. For instance, 50% health should/could mean 50% (or at least another %) reduction on everything (attack/damage, defense, precision, speed, etc), instead of just meaning "half the amount of hits you can take". I know some games timidly attempted something similar (can't recall which games though), but no serious effort has been made yet to recreate combat realistically.

Furthermore, critical hits should be banned altogether. Two fencers/fighters don't rely on luck. A "critical hit" should rather be something like a "special attack" for example the dear old "aimed" blow. Give it some charge-up time, or a very high "miss" chance. It shouldn't just happen "randomly", not in melee combat (I can tolerate it for ranged combat at high distances, or for melee combat involving extremely clunky/cumbersome weapons). Try hitting a "critical spot" while trading punches or while being poked at with a sword.

This was mostly related to turn-based (therefore maths-based) games. Real-time combat is usually inherently more arcade-y and even less "realistic".

Just a few thoughts, although I'm sure this has been debated extensively before, around here.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think open world has been largely a missed opportunity for many games.

From a designer perspective, how do you make open world truly free roaming and still handle the power curve in RPG's. Like you start in one area of the world.. and you would expect the farther you travel, the harder things might get to produce challenge for someone who is getting stronger and leveling up.

The problem is that doesn't always make sense... What? Do bandits in the north just happen to be more powerful then bandits in the south where you started the game. I can see the challenge that games like New Vegas and Skyrim had.. I think New Vegas had a great way of handling this issue because they can put any content where they want, but it only worked because of the post apocalypse setting. In a traditional setting of kings and bandits, it's much harder to justify steep power curves in a 'normal' fantasy setting.

In a world where you have living breathing villages and you can go anywhere at any time.. It's hard to keep things balanced and I hope WItcher 3 will find a way to fix this problem without decline mechanics like Level Scaling or Railroading players by locking content behind main quest goals.

Ideally I would like the safest low level areas to be on well travelled roads and cities or villages with heavy presence of law and order. The harder locations would be areas that branch away from those areas.. but that's just something I pulled out of my ass.

- My favourite melee combat would probably be M&B's, it's so weird it actually feels "realistic".
I would love a sandbox game like Skyrim that used factions and town / castle building that was in M&B. One of my favorite things about M&B (Depending on the mods you use) is that you start the game as a weak piece of shit while all these kingdoms around you are really powerful and constantly allying and going to war with each other.

Then by forging alliances and slowly leveling / building an army, you climb the hierarchy and eventually become a threat that all other kingdoms start to take notice of and eventually ally together to destroy.

If that sort of dynamic was integrated in a Skyrim type game with all the radiant shit dropped, make all the content unscaled. I would kickstart the shit out of that game.
YOU.
Have you played the Gothic series?

Leonorai

Novice
It's simply impossible to recreate a realistic melee combat situation.
Hard and complex, but not impossible. The problem lies in the details of a fight, if you account for all of the minutiae, combat becomes a game in an of itself.

You'd need a multi-layer stamina system, where you're constantly draining overall "energy" and trying to simulate glycogen reserves. You start off fresh, able to swing fast and accurately, fight goes on for a bit, you bog down a bit, game won't allow any rapid lunges and such so you focus more on countering, if it really drags on and you've only got one opponent things start to resemble the end of a boxing match. The one who hits first and deals proper damage would also be at a real advantage and a lot of people don't like that.

Executives certainly don't like that idea, since it ruins the moneycow's idea of a power fantasy. That and it actually makes devs have to strain their brains, which they're not always fond of, at least not on AAA projects.

Overall, it's possible, but you'd get the Dwarf Fortress of combat systems and that stuff will really scare casual folks away, meaning less profits. Resulting in no such game being made, unless a miracle happens.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YOU.

I played Gothic 3 fully modded.. It was pretty good but wasn't as in depth as I wanted.. Tried to run Gothic 2 with some mods.. It kept crashing and I natively speak German so it wasn't that I couldn't follow the instructions.
Yeah, 3 is a bit of a step down. But 1&2? Openworld Heavan. Risen's okay too, definitely where power curve's concerned.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
YOU.

I played Gothic 3 fully modded.. It was pretty good but wasn't as in depth as I wanted.. Tried to run Gothic 2 with some mods.. It kept crashing and I natively speak German so it wasn't that I couldn't follow the instructions.
Yeah, 3 is a bit of a step down. But 1&2? Openworld Heavan. Risen's okay too, definitely where power curve's concerned.

Sorry.. Risen is unplayable for me.. The island is small.. the single city is boring and lack luster.. I really enjoyed Gothic 3 where I could run south and find all these keeps and strongholds that I could take over the game is huge but kind of lacking detail or depth..

Risen lacks scope and depth. I am not sure how that unfinished piece of shit is okay on the codex.. Just because Risen 2 and 3 are way worse doesn't make Risen 1 playable..

I have definitely been meaning to try Gothic 2 but it's a bit of a pain to get working with community patches as I said.. and so many good games coming out in the next 4 months.. I just found out about underrail and Grimock 2 is amazing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
If you're looking for something of Gothic 3's scale and scope, yeah, you're in for a hell of a search.

Mystary!

Arcane
Furthermore, critical hits should be banned altogether. Two fencers/fighters don't rely on luck. A "critical hit" should rather be something like a "special attack" for example the dear old "aimed" blow. Give it some charge-up time, or a very high "miss" chance. It shouldn't just happen "randomly", not in melee combat (I can tolerate it for ranged combat at high distances, or for melee combat involving extremely clunky/cumbersome weapons). Try hitting a "critical spot" while trading punches or while being poked at with a sword.
Sounds contradictory. Critcal hits aren't necessarily trying to hit the "critical spot", you just get a lucky hit. Which does happen in reallity.
Like how hitting someone on the chin might knock them out cold. You didn't intend to, but you did. That is what critical hits represent. The effect rather than the area you hit.
Aiming for the chin might increase the chance of such an effect, but it shouldn't be guaranteed for simply landing the aimed attack, there's always some degree of randomness to fighting.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
From a designer perspective, how do you make open world truly free roaming and still handle the power curve in RPG's. Like you start in one area of the world.. and you would expect the farther you travel, the harder things might get to produce challenge for someone who is getting stronger and leveling up.

Part of the answer to this is to design the RPG mechanics to operate on a flatter power curve. You go from "competent" to "expert" over the course of the game, rather than "complete novice" to "godlike." Characters improve at a slow and steady pace. A steep power curve is going to be problematic in any open world RPG, regardless of setting.

Ideally I would like the safest low level areas to be on well travelled roads and cities or villages with heavy presence of law and order. The harder locations would be areas that branch away from those areas.. but that's just something I pulled out of my ass.

And the world design is the other part of the answer. As a general rule, the player shouldn't just blunder into powerful enemies. High-level enemies should be telegraphed in advance and/or placed in remote locations.

You shouldn't encounter high-level enemies while walking down the road from one town to the next (unless there is a specific in-game reason for this to start happening).

It's safe to assume that the badlands on your map labeled "The Demon-Haunted Wastes" is probably not the best place to wander at the start of the game. Ancient forests, deep dungeons, and remote keeps high in the mountains are good places for high-level monsters.

If the city that you start out in is ruled by the tyrannical wizard king, the ultimate bad guy in the game, you have a pretty good idea that marching up to his tower right after you equip your starting gear is not the best plan.

Ultima VI and VII took this approach. You would mostly fight bandits and wild animals on the roads, and most of the powerful enemies were in the dungeons or remote wilderness areas. Ultima VII also had a flatter power curve than many RPGs (ingoring the ridiculous power-ups from the Forge of Virtue add-on).

Maybe you've heard of it, but there was a Kickstarter for a project called CLANG by the sci-fi writer Neal Stephenson and some of his buddies. The idea was to create a realistic medieval fencing simulator and then wrap an RPG around it later on. They were thinking along similar lines, that keyboard and mouse wouldn't be sufficient, so the plan was to create a custom controller that looked similar to a lightsaber handle. Player could hold it like a sword hilt and perform realistic moves which the computer would capture and translate into sword movements. They raised like half a million dollars, but failed to convince anyone else to sponsor it, so as far as I know it's canned or at least on the shelf now.

So basically this:

B0045FGET2.02.lg.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword.jpg

Higher Animal

Arcane
Jools

There is a lot of luck in combat. Boxing is notorious for momentum swinging lucky shots.

Keldryn

Any peripheral will have to simulate weight in order to be effective in terms of realism. My guess is that was the bottleneck in creating a realistic medieval fighting game.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Part of the answer to this is to design the RPG mechanics to operate on a flatter power curve. You go from "competent" to "expert" over the course of the game, rather than "complete novice" to "godlike." Characters improve at a slow and steady pace. A steep power curve is going to be problematic in any open world RPG, regardless of setting.

Call me a pop-a-mole faggot.. But I like games with steep power curves over a long period of time.. I want to have my ass kicked then feel my character becoming stronger and come back and smash faces in.

The problem with flatter curve progression is that your rewarded more for being skillfull (twitchy) or abusing mechanics then making decisions in how you progress in character development.. It cheapens the feeling of accomplishment when you level up or find a new cool item..

I prefer tactical skill over twitch skill.. and I like feeling more powerful as the game progresses.. if I played a game for 40 hours and still had trouble with bandits on the road that I did when I started.. why am I even leveling up at all?

IMO of course

JMab

Augur
I prefer tactical skill over twitch skill.. and I like feeling more powerful as the game progresses.. if I played a game for 40 hours and still had trouble with bandits on the road that I did when I started.. why am I even leveling up at all?

That's pretty much the basic tenet of CRPGs I think, power building over time. I like that also - you have to if you're a CRPG fan.

However, I'd like to see a few CRPGs that buck this trend, to an extent. Because of two linked problems:

1) Balance. You have to balance for the "average" player these days, unless you want to attract the masochists like Dark Souls. So two things happen; a) you eventually become pretty much the most powerful being the world has ever seen (I'm thinking pretty much all Elder Scrolls games for starters), or the game keeps throwing ridiculously harder challenges at you, i.e. the wandering monsters are no longer level 1 bandits, they are now fire-breathing dragons.

2) Danger. Although there's some fun to be had in going back to the places you previously struggled to get through and steamrolling them, that gets old fast. Others could experience this differently, but I tend to enjoy the first third/half of CRPGs much more than the rest. Once I've got powerful enough, I'm just rolling round the countryside knocking over enemies like bowling pins. I've stopped bothering with special attacks, potions, etc. because I don't need them anymore. I sometimes just play on to see the ending, however I just as often abandon the game because it's not as much fun anymore. You could say that that's just a problem with the selection of CRPGs I've played, but this experience has been reasonably consistent in my experience.

I'm not a realism-fag, but shouldn't a high-level knight face the risk of getting a lucky strike from a peasant's bill-hook at any time? Shouldn't the Red Baron be able to be shot down by a lowly Australian gunner? I wouldn't mind playing a CRPG where every fight still felt dangerous at high levels, as it would in real life, albeit with my learned skill and improved equipment in the game balancing the odds in my favor.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Jmab: I mostly agree with everything you said.. I think those ideas would feel a great niche but that wasn't totally what I was talking about.

if I played a game for 40 hours and still had trouble with bandits on the road that I did when I started.. why am I even leveling up at all?

Because you're playing Oblivion, Skyrim or Fallout 3?

And what makes you think steep curve of power progression = tactical, flat curve = twitch? How is Skyrim more tactical than Dark Souls, the former's PPC being repulsively steep and the latter's with a comparatively gentle incline, unless you're meta-gaming or farming hard for reinforcement shards? And couldn't steep just as easily = twitch and flat, tactical? And can't twitch-based games be tactical, as seen in StarCraft 2 (ever watched a Korean's hands dance on kb/m)?

I wouldn't really make that leap of logic.. I was speaking in generalities.. If I say I liked the cold and desolate snowy setting of IWD then you say "Oh Skyrim had snow too.. you must love that game too" that isn't gonna fly.. Skyrim has a very sharp progression curve and they use level scaling to make up the cost.. that is not the same thing. I already talked about this mechanic as something that is very much a decline and mechanic I would like to see changed.. this is the problem with blow horning your opinions in the middle of a conversation, you are missing context.

Demon Souls / Dark Souls has a shallow progression curve and is very much working your twitch skills more then your character progression choices.. Maybe tactical is the wrong word?

When I play a hardcore RPG.. I want character systems over fast reflexes was my point and the more shallow that curve.. the less role character systems plays on game play.

Yeah, I discovered CLANG about a month ago, when it had gone quiet, prior to it being cancelled. My thought at the time was similar to one of Neal Stephenson's points in his cancel announcement - they seemed to prioritise historical accuracy too much over pure and simple fun of swordfighting. I think the focus for games needs to be fun gameplay number one, with the mechanics built to support the fun.

I'm following KC: D a bit too, I think those guys will get it right. If the game is successful, I think it will raise the bar for melee-based games. It should make it less acceptable for other devs to just have a melee attack button anyway. Different attack types (slash, thrust, etc), various hit targets and targeted parrying/blocking should be a minimum. Not sure about the bullet-time thing though - hope it doesn't just trigger a quick time event sequence. With mostly, or better yet fully, dynamic animation, I would have thought you should be able to trade blows in realtime.

I hope that with KC: D that melee combat still requires thought and timing when you reach higher levels. As opposed to Skyrim, where you quickly become a tank that just needs to spam the attack button to roll over all foes. They seem like pretty clued up guys, so I have faith. I loved Operation Flashpoint in it's day, I thought it was ahead of it's time. I remember them patching in hardware transformation and lighting, which was a big thing to do at the time. Made me think that they like pushing the technical edge, so I hope that KC: D carries the banner forward from Mount and Blade to continue the incline of melee-based combat!

Can't really speak about how well the bullet time and prompting will work in KCD, as it's something I've had questions about myself. But based on their past record with video game combat and realism, and their statements about trying to make a very realistic fencing system, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it will work out well. Maybe they thought having this kind of slow-down/prompt system was the best way to approximate the intricacies of real fencing within the limitations of keyboard/mouse and joystick controls, I don't know. We'll see. Maybe once they complete the combat system and roll it out to the alpha/beta players, their devs will give some rationale for doing it that way.

Of the games I played, my favorite melee combat is probably in Gothic 1 and 2. It's very simple in a way, but to fight against humanoids, I would just time my parries with a fast one-handed weapon to their attack patterns, and then quickly hit them with a counterattack. These sequences would be chained into parry-parry-attack-parry-parry-attack and so on, and that was the closest I ever felt in a game to a movie-type sword fight. It was really visceral and fun because the timing had to be very sharp, fraction of a second. But yeah, I would love a combat system that combined that type of visceral feeling and timing with a more tactical approach, where instead of just simple attacks and parries, you would have a pool of available moves, with each one meant for a specific situation, or to counter what the enemy is doing.

More thoughts on hand-to-hand combat, maybe going slightly OT...

It's simply impossible to recreate a realistic melee combat situation. I gave this much thought over the years, as I've been into different martial arts for the best part of the last 20 years now, and have been playing games since much before.

I don't think it's impossible, it would just take a lot of simulation elements (whether real time or turn based). But I think you are thinking way ahead of where the industry is right now. Most of the stuff you mention is pretty advanced and detailed, when most combat systems can't even get the simplest basic stuff right, like not doing real time button mashers and instead introducing some tactics and reflex based challenges into it. On the turn based side, similarly, most systems don't have enough abilities/actions and enough interaction between them to make things challenging or interesting. Mostly it's just pick your most powerful gun/fireball, shoot other guy in eye, rinse, repeat.

So basically this:

<Wii controller image>

Well, theirs was shaped more like a longsword hilt or a lightsaber handle, so it was a thinner cylinder, and I think you could put both hands on it. Not sure how it captured motion compared to the Wii controller.

Call me a pop-a-mole faggot.. But I like games with steep power curves over a long period of time.. I want to have my ass kicked then feel my character becoming stronger and come back and smash faces in.

The problem with flatter curve progression is that your rewarded more for being skillfull (twitchy) or abusing mechanics then making decisions in how you progress in character development.. It cheapens the feeling of accomplishment when you level up or find a new cool item..

IMO of course

After playing RPGs for many years now, I have to side with the people wanting flatter power curves. I think a lot of problems in RPGs stem from the huge increase of power for the player. This includes balancing issues as mentioned above, where you are often running into either too hard or too easy combat. It also completely ruins action combat, because you can't balance player skill based combat around completely different power levels. It also leads to a turning point in those types of games, where your party/character becomes godlike and everything starts to be silly.

But that doesn't mean you have to take away the fun of getting better, which is one of the best things about RPGs. You just have to be more intelligent about design. Instead of hitpoint bloat and damage increase (2 of the most overused and boring parts of RPG combat), get better by learning new moves and techniques while still remaining fragile and doing the same damage. That way, when you run into a bunch of low level peasants during late game, you have the tools to dispose of them, but if you don't use them properly, they can still kill you, instead of you just one-shotting them with a fireball or a gunshot. Also try to keep things balanced by keeping them realistic, even if you are a really well trained badass, that means you can easily kill enemies 1v1, maybe 1v2, but when significantly outnumbered, maybe it would be better if you lost. This would create more realistic and interesting worlds, and make the player think more throughout the game, about the kind of shit they want to get involved in.

JMab

Augur
Yeah Gothic wasn't bad. I played 1 and 2. Timing the swings did matter, and they made it feel clunky at low levels and smoother as you level up.

madrigal

Augur
For instance, 50% health should/could mean 50% (or at least another %) reduction on everything (attack/damage, defense, precision, speed, etc), instead of just meaning "half the amount of hits you can take". I know some games timidly attempted something similar (can't recall which games though), but no serious effort has been made yet to recreate combat realistically.

Betrayal at Krondor.

Keldryn

Arcane
Any peripheral will have to simulate weight in order to be effective in terms of realism. My guess is that was the bottleneck in creating a realistic medieval fighting game.

Well alright then:

mkaetwxq3xc6.jpg

On a more serious note, yes, any such controller would have to model weight in a manner that neither the Wii remote nor Playstation Move are really capable of.

It also needs to be a hell of a lot more accurate. Skyward Sword did a pretty good job of reflecting your arm movements on-screen. At least when you weren't fighting. When the action started getting faster, the accuracy plummeted rather quickly. And don't get me started on getting the correct angle in order to bash that spike back into the head of the Imprisoned.

It's a fun novelty, but I'm not sure that such control really makes for a compelling gameplay experience when you're still looking at a TV screen and moving your character around with a joystick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom