Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Baltika9

Arcane
D

Rex Feral

Prophet
I didn't want to die. I wanted to wander around the hospital and collect evidence to figure out what is happening. I didn't choose A because climbing down a seven story building on windy conditions seemed riskier than climbing down 2 floors.

LWC1996

Learned
Because he acts that way. Impaired social interaction capabilities, strange hobbies for a young man, limited empathy, physical clumsiness. Might be Asperger's.

It most probably isn't. But he is not very 'normal' all the same.

Why do you call the votes you don't like 'sabotage votes'?

Is it because you know the only proper way to play the game and you are certain that it will lead to the result that would be universally accepted as superior (whatever that means)?

Might I ask what that result is?
Well I call it that because I've seen some post where ppl vote for the chuckles and to die earlier because you wanna re-start the game so that you can make other choices... In this case a very unhealthy obsession with the patient files and possibly creating a harem of sorts.

My gameplay is very simple, I like to go as long as I can because I like horror stories and I'd love to see how the story unfolds. The earlier choices established Shinoseki to be the meek usagi-Chan that he is/was in the first round.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Each chapter has unique events and information to collect, as well as further insights into the other characters. Dying before you see those can cause you to miss out on better endings.

climbing down 2 floors.

And across a glass walkway in foggy, windy conditions without any secure handholds. A five (or four) floor drop can kill you just as good as a seven floor drop. :lol:

But yeah, I suppose more guidance in making the choices is needed. I'll make the necessary adjustments for future updates.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I call it that because I've seen some post where ppl vote for the chuckles and to die earlier because you wanna re-start the game so that you can make other choices... In this case a very unhealthy obsession with the patient files and possibly creating a harem of sorts.
Well, if dying makes some people's mood improve, it isn't so bad, is it?

A majority of the voters need to come to a decision before it comes to pass. If you think it might lead to something undesireable, why not make a case for your option to convince the ones that are making a mistake?

And if all the majority wants is a good laugh, well, all the power to them. :salute:

I didn't want to die here, but even though I knew it was risky, I didn't feel strongly enough about the character's death (yet) to back out of anything. So I pushed through and it ended about as well as could be expected. Oh well. This probably isn't the last time we die in the setting. Might as well try and develop a corresponding mindset while we are at it.

P.S. And creating a harem is a very healthy obsession to have! :argh:

Last edited:

LWC1996

Learned
I didn't want to die. I wanted to wander around the hospital and collect evidence to figure out what is happening. I didn't choose A because climbing down a seven story building on windy conditions seemed riskier than climbing down 2 floors.
I wud've opted the same as you. In fact I thought of making the same choice you did till I recalled that the corridors were made of glass... And climbing down 2 stories and crawling on slippery smooth surface on cold windy conditions was even more dangerous than climbing down 7 floors in non-slippery conditions. I figured the odds wud be slightly better.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B

Aaaw, we died.
I have to admit that last thought was pretty amusing and on the bright side we might learned to avoid slippery surfaces in windy conditions.:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
The earlier choices established Shinoseki to be the meek usagi-Chan that he is/was in the first round.
A meek usagi-chan who is perfectly capable of shooting a person in the eye (because he knows that the bullets of this caliber may skid off the skull... I wonder where he knows that from) and smiling about it. And now we find out about his other skills.

Shinoseki is a strange person indeed.

LWC1996

Learned
A meek usagi-chan who is perfectly capable of shooting a person in the eye (because he knows that the bullets of this caliber may skid off the skull... I wonder where he knows that from) and smiling about it. And now we find out about his other skills.

Shinoseki is a strange person indeed.
I cud've sworn he was dithering and agonizing over shooting a man, and that got Maeda killed. And he shot on the end coz the situation was beyond dire.

Nevill

Arcane
I cud've sworn he was dithering and agonizing over shooting a man, and that got Maeda killed. And he shot on the end coz the situation was beyond dire.
He is a conflicted fellow, yes.

But his agonizing (whatever the hell it was) was over hitting Maeda, mostly. Granted, this was the reason he told himself, and it may very well have been because he didn't want to shoot Taketatsu. The reasons why he did what he did are not clearly established, but he had an option of walking away if he absolutely could not bring himself to do it. Instead:

I… this caliber might skid off the skull, so I should…

You raise the revolver in a single smooth motion and fire without warning.

Taketatsu’s right eye explodes in a burst of blood and black goo, and he falls backwards, a puzzled grin on his face.

You close the distance until you are standing over his twitching body. Blood is pouring from his nostrils and mouth. Under his shattered glasses, his remaining good eye is darting jerkily in random directions, his mouth muttering random syllables. His brain is scrambled. Absent-mindedly, you gently massage your aching left thigh.

There is no point in wasting the last bullet on him, you think.
That is very detached and cold-blooded. Exactly the direction I want to take the character to.

And to think that right after that he panicked as the realization of what he did caught up with him, and ruined everything! :argh:

I swear, that kid is a lot of work.

Naturally, this post is a hidden promotional campaing to get all of my murderbros voting for C.

Also, don't you find these random thoughts amusing?
The security room is dim and dingy. Banks of flat-screen monitors line the far wall – unsurprisingly, they are dark. As with everywhere else, the computers do not seem to be working correctly. Mori is standing in front of the terminals with his broad back facing you, tapping away at a keyboard to no avail. If he gets it working, he may be able to catch a glimpse of Okuyama through the closed-circuit cameras installed throughout the hospital. There are probably a few other uses for it too, you think.
“Well, now that’s settled,” sighs Sakimura, “let’s finally head for the lobby.” You follow them at a comfortable distance, hands tucked into your pockets. Did Uehara manage to go to the toilet? The thought passes your mind, but you keep it to yourself.
Well here is our chance to make them into a habit!

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
D

Why didn't anyone vote to sit on the roof and twiddle our thumbs? It was clearly the best choice.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

D>A

edit: and seriously, 30min? We were SUPPOSED to do what we did before, and then use the second chance to storm into the girls bathroom. *sigh*

Nevill

Arcane
It's a homage to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Can't believe no one else caught that. :roll:

People want to shove our knowledge of Sartre and Descartes under other people's noses, and yet fail to be :obviously: when it matters. It is truly depressing. Faux intelligentsia at its worst. :rpgcodex:

edit: and seriously, 30min? We were SUPPOSED to do what we did before, and then use the second chance to storm into the girls bathroom. *sigh*
We are doing speedruns. We like the challenge.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
A over D.

I think D gives us the ability to retain some memory of previous pass in deadly situations.

EDIT:Also isnt that what Morte says if TNO dies? +M

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never read Hitchhiker's. But yeah, I mostly vote because teh lulz. I don't think my votes win anyway.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: A time and place that does not exist

Track: strings

“Well?” The man gazes ahead with a keen, inquisitive stare, eager to know your opinion.

“It’s… interesting.” You glance at the cup, thinking about the blend of tea that you have been served. Black tea with sea salt and vanilla extract, chosen to evoke the taste of summer at the beach. “The taste is… not entirely unpleasant…” You leave the remainder of your comment unsaid: even if it is not unpleasant, you can’t say that you like it either.

“I was asking about the end of the second night,” says the man smoothly.

You redden. “A-ah… yes. That.”

This time, your fate is clear. You saw yourself falling from the top of the walkway and landing on your head. The pavement had not been kind; the vertebrae of your neck had snapped and driven shards of bone up into your jaw and head, and your skull’s posterior had cracked open upon impact, allowing your brains to spurt out all over the ground. Thinking about it, you cringe even now, rubbing the back of your head.

When you do not give any further response, the man lets out a little sigh and stands up. His perfectly-tailored clothes are unruffled in the least by his sudden motion. Walking over to the bookshelves lining the room, he begins browsing through the titles, his gloved fingers walking over the spines of the books. You begin wondering what this place is. After what happened in the hospital, you had woken up here, and met the strange but polite gentleman. He had given you a word of advice. Sometime after that, you had a distinct feeling of being in two places at once… no, of being two people simultaneously. When you snapped back to consciousness, you were here again, with the memories of what happened to you. But at the same time, you felt as if you had never left.

The second night, he called it… Which is the dream? The hospital, or this room?

You are beginning to wonder if this is not all a very elaborate near-death hallucination.

“Shinoseki Adachi.”

“Y-yes!” You sit up straight, called to attention.

“You are you, yet you are not yourself,” he says, walking back to the armchair with a book in his hands.

“I… I’m sorry?”

The man flips the book open, casually browsing its pages. “Are you familiar with the works of Sigmund Freud?”

Freud… the man known as the father of psychoanalysis. You nod, noticing that the title of the weathered, blue book he is reading is “Thanatos and the Soul: A Shinto perspective’.

“This book details an interesting approach by a little known scholar, contrasting Freud’s duality of life and death as personal compulsions locked in mutual struggle, with the Shinto concept of death as impurity as well as its afterlife ramifications.” He looks at his antique pocket-watch and murmurs something you cannot make out. “Ah, but it is almost time. We shall have to postpone our discussion to another night... figuratively, of course. In truth, I only brought out this book to occupy myself for the third night. I am sure I will at least manage to get past the first chapter before it ends.” There is a mild air of derision in his tone.

“So… before it begins, I have a question for you, Shinoseki Adachi. Consider it my way of helping you out... If you are able to understand what you want, you will eventually come to know what you need to know."

He asks his question.

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
D>A

Don't worry Lambchop, we are gathering all the stealthy skills we can so we can get the best stalker result when we sneek into the showers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom