Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

pippin

Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to "hate" Hepler. It's not like she's completely guilty of Bio's decline. But if she hated combat so much, why didn't she worked on some kind of adventure game, then?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't actually hate her or priestly or woo.. I just love the drama and jokes.. RPGCodex might be filled with degenerative garbage.. but at least many of these people are witty and funny while they are setting the human race back decades rofl.

Sammael7

Literate
Here's a mage focused character video that depicts mages as they ought to be depicted, gods among insects.

Not some loser mortal that can't do anything but twirl around a metal stick, but a wielder of cosmic POWER. A video to stoke my personal god complex.

17A8wBe.gif

I'm excited. And even a hundred disagrees will not sway that because I know this has to be far better than DA2, and it's been a LONG time since an rpg has gotten the triple A treatment, especially a more high fantasy rpg.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Here's a mage focused character video that depicts mages as they ought to be depicted, gods among insects.

Not some loser mortal that can't do anything but twirl around a metal stick, but a wielder of cosmic POWER. A video to stoke my personal god complex.

17A8wBe.gif

I'm excited. And even a hundred disagrees will not sway that because I know this has to be far better than DA2, and it's been a LONG time since an rpg has gotten the triple A treatment, especially a more high fantasy rpg.

:stupid:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The problem with Dragon Age elves isn't any sense of neoteny, it's the fact they look like a facegen disaster that happened in a chemical processing plant. They're hideously ugly without it apparently being the goal of them being hideously ugly (since this is never ever mentioned by anyone). Mer in Elder Scrolls suffered from this problem in all the 3D games until Skyrim, where they started looking at least moderately human.
Elves still look alien in Skyrim, but it works because they're the villains. Merill's appearance would be perfect in a game where elves are supposed to be inhuman monsters, just not one where they're the beautiful perfect Mary Sues they usually are.

It occurs to be that the only difference between elves in Dragon Age and those of every other generic fantasy setting is that the DA elves are oppressed by humans for...some reason. I wonder if this is due to Bioware games being written by a bunch of SJW nutjobs. Since having privilege is evil, their elves can only be really perfect if they don't.

Telengard

Arcane
But don't you see - elves are a metaphor for the SJWs for they themselves. They are the unique, free-spirited, fey creatures who are truly beautiful. But the world does not recognize their beauty, because they and the entire world are oppressed by the huMANs.

imweasel

I bet you can hardly wait to "ride that bull" for some Bioware style beastiality.

Romancing Iron Bull is probably almost as good as sucking on a horse cock for a beast loving deviant.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Don't judge. What you don't suck horse cock? What are you some sort of horsecockophobe?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hepler was fired a long time ago, though.

Was she really fired or are you just trying to be a dick? I would love to read an RPGCodex Meltdown thread of her quitting / being fired if one exists.. I loved the one about Chris "Whale" Priestly.. it was epic funny.

"seeking other opportunities" (plural) is always a dead giveaway that she left before securing something else first - verbiage often chosen by companies to indicate that someone leaves at the will of the company. Could be she wants some time off I suppose but pursuing other opportunities is mentioned, not moving on or taking some time.

Last edited:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Didn't Bioware "take inspiration" for elves being oppressed from The Witcher?

I was just about to post that. But I'm not sure if Elves losing their immortality due to human oppression as a thing was taking before the Witcher. I think there is a classic fantasy book or series with an idea very much like that.

But as for Bioware "taking inspiration". With the the Thedas setting it's sometimes very easy to see all the parts of the puzzle they have ripped off other works and hammered into place. Still wondering where they got the whole "The Fade" thing. The original idea. Not the demon portals they have going on here. I would be suprised if it's a completely original idea since nothing else is.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I was just about to post that. But I'm not sure if Elves losing their immortality due to human oppression as a thing was taking before the Witcher. I think there is a classic fantasy book or series with an idea very much like that.

But as for Bioware "taking inspiration". With the the Thedas setting it's sometimes very easy to see all the parts of the puzzle they have ripped off other works and hammered into place. Still wondering where they got the whole "The Fade" thing. The original idea. Not the demon portals they have going on here. I would be suprised if it's a completely original idea since nothing else is.
Read Wheel of Time. It's ususally seen as a "tribute" to Jordan's work, but knowing Bioware I'd say it's a ripoff. shadowDarkspawn, Loghain - literally the same name with the same (pseudo-evil-character-that-could-help-you-in-the-end) characters, dangers and strict control of local magic and, of course, Fade - a world of dreams. In WoT this world is, what a surprise! - inhabited by dangerous creatures etc etc etc.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

The game, in contrast to the video, will allow you to merely pelt foes with fireballs for 1/4th of their HP at most :troll:

By the way, what the fuck is wrong with that man in the video? The retarded helmet covering one eye is retarded, but he also walks as if... he took an arrow to the knee

:yeah:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hepler was fired a long time ago, though.

Was she really fired or are you just trying to be a dick? I would love to read an RPGCodex Meltdown thread of her quitting / being fired if one exists.. I loved the one about Chris "Whale" Priestly.. it was epic funny.

She's getting a lot of whiteknigthing done for her!

http://www.themarysue.com/inclusion-what-jennifer-heplers-story-is-all-about/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/16/why-jennifer-hepler-is-my-hero-3927411/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/16/bioware-writer-quits-after-death-threats-to-family-3925970/

From what I seen she is a really bad writer of the fan-fiction level, but these people are not completly incorrect. A lot of the things and hate direct at her is vile and childish. The people doing threats and spiolling out all the bile are lowlifes that should be purged from the genepool, possibly including people from this forum. But that people on this forum spilled bile over women is hardly something new ;)

Indeed. Because that's what happens when the intended target audience for one's writing is angry teens. Every author has the fans he/she deserves, after all.

You're right about the benefits of removing them from the gene pool, too.

I think you're coming down too hard on the codexers. I too loathe her and her writing and have indulged in bashing at her (and her writing), but she really ain't worth death threats nor any "serious" insult. Honestly, I can't recall reading any "real" death threats directed at her here on the codex, and even if I had, I'm sure they would have been for the right reasons :smug:.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Aren't you at all concerned that creating too much pre-game hate will have the reverse effect on any potential purchasers, in that their expectations will be so low that whatever they do play will seem like Not Too Bad and I Don't Get All The Hate It's Not THAT Bad.

You know, aren't you giving free reverse psychology. Setting yourself up in an untenable future position where the game can't possibly be as bad as you're desperate to make it out to be? Isn't a This Game Is Shit position prior to release inherently dumb regardless of any actual truth of the matter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom