Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? The Mysterious Disappearing Ubisoft Games... or some shit

Norfleet

The fact that it's Ubisoft is the best simultaneous sales-discouragement and anti-piracy already. I haven't touched an Ubisoft game in aeons. I don't even bother searching the high seas for them, I just don't touch them at all. BECAUSE THEY'RE CRAP.

Martius

Liturgist
I guess nothing of value was lost until we will hear about Blood Dragon 2.

mondblut

Arcane
They will lose long-term sales, but not many full-priced early ones. These games do not need Steam for promotion, they have a huge marketing machine behind them. They are platform-sellers, similar to console exclusives, with the difference that you do not have to pay a one-time fee of $400 to move to UPlay if you are a Steam user.

D1P customers are actually better off this way, because they will not need to double login into both Uplay (which was required anyway) and Steam to play these games. However, long-term, this is an anti-consumer move because the games will never appear in Steam discount sales (and nobody I know cares about UPlay discount sales).

Nothing prevents Ubi from putting them back onto Steam once they are bargain bin material. Seems win-win to my uninformed mind.

mondblut

Arcane
The fact that it's Ubisoft is the best simultaneous sales-discouragement and anti-piracy already. I haven't touched an Ubisoft game in aeons. I don't even bother searching the high seas for them, I just don't touch them at all. BECAUSE THEY'RE CRAP.

Have you missed the one half-proper RPG released in the last decade and yet developed by more than one man and his dog? Shame on you.

Norfleet

Have you missed the one half-proper RPG released in the last decade and yet developed by more than one man and his dog? Shame on you.
Which one? I thought we had a lot of RPGs lately, and none of them I recall being Ubisoft.

mondblut

Arcane
Which one? I thought we had a lot of RPGs lately, and none of them I recall being Ubisoft.

He probably meant Might and Magic X.

yup

"a lot of RPGs", which ones? Something from the kickscam batch actually was released and ended up having at least 10% of content and features promised? Sorry, I haven't been following.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
To be honest, Steam needs the competition. That doesn't mean I am advocating U-Play or Origin which are both still pieces of shit, but Steam gouges the shit out of devs with their setup.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So yeah, limited insight. EA hasn't release a PC game on Steam since 2011. If Origin was tanking they'd reverse that decision.

Actually no, this is one of those things they refuse to let go because of the investment ... even if nobody uses Origin they will hold on it until there is a change of the guard.

I dont think Origin tanked but this is caused by EA major flagship titles to require Origin, this means FIFA, Madden, BF will all maintain Origin "relevance" but the problem is, those titles are on consoles as well and I dont think Digital sales amount to to the majority of sales and they arent selling any games on Origin either, its simply a DRM system like Steam was back when all it had was HF2 and CS, the inroads that Valve did are unlikely to happen with EA since EA is EA and have to fuck with others.

These same publishers happily sell their console games via the Xbox store or PSN, so it's not like their not used to the concept.

No, they dont ... not happily anyway.

They are locked systems, they cannot just open up a store and sell then directly because they would if they could but those are closed systems and Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo is going to allow then that, there was a big fight with EA and Microsoft over servers back in the XBox days as Microsoft didnt even allowed them to run their own multiplayer servers.

Considering the majority of sales come from consoles and this aint the PS2 days they have to bow down to the systems holders because they can easily jut make then lose 1/3 of sales.
PC gaming is getting there. Steam is so ubiquitous that if you're not on Steam you may as well not be available on PCs. Not saying I agree with or like that (more competition is always good) but that's the reality

Grim Monk

Arcane
The Final Goal is CONTROL:

Vertical Integration:

Publisher IP Holding Corp
l
l
V
Developer
(Rightless contract labor "Slave")
l
l
v
Publishing Arm
l
l
V
Company Store
l
l
V
Client Software (with integrated DRM)
l
l
V
Customer
(A "licensee" that doesn't really own anything...)

A "Studio System" for Video Games.

No "profit leakage", perfect system for the publisher...

Horrible for the customer, and developer...

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Even Reddit is ridiculing Ubi for its shenanigans, and Reddit "gamers" are some of the most prominent popamole AAA apologist console kiddies on the planet.

MMX was shit due to simplistic linear dungeons and overworld, but I did enjoy Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon. I got butthurt because in both cases, I forgot that UPlay was required for both. Thankfully, Steam now has a warning field to advise purchasers of third-party DRM.

I can't even access Blood Dragon anymore because I made an account for Blood Dragon, then forgot I already had an account when I bought MMX, and created a new one. Usually I'm very good about recording website/email/game account logins and passwords and saving any relevant emails, but I dropped the ball in that case, most likely because at the time I thought I'd never play a Uplay game again. I called Ubisoft support. They told me to in essence go fuck myself and buy a new copy of Blood Dragon.

I couldn't even buy a new copy of Blood Dragon from Steam because I already own it on Steam. :lol:

I'm not even going to torrent it because if I'm forced to torrent a game in the first place, then my principles require total boycott.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good Metroidvania, got it for
PS3
a couple of years back.

Ubisoft does indeed have a few good games, unlike EA which is entirely skippable with no regrets. I don't count MMX among them, because simplistic linear dungeons piss me off.

Telengard

Arcane
They're all back on Steam now.

As for all the Ubi hate I'm seeing in this thread... am I really that outdated or what? Most of the Ubi games I've played were really good, am I missing their crappy side or something? Perhaps it's the fact that I still haven't played the AC games, but I heard many great things about AC4 Black Flag, wasn't that supposed to be a great sequel or something?

Anyway, both Rayman Origin and Legend were awesome and I'm currently playing Outland which is damn great as well. Haven't played Far Cry 3 so there's that... Lemme see, there's also Beyond Good & Evil, the Prince of Persia franchise (which aside from the cel shaded one I really really like). The first four Splinter Cell games were good too (haven't played the last two), and I heard good things about Child of Light and M&MX...

So... where are all those TERRIBLE, unbelievably HORRID Ubisoft games? What a bunch of fucking nonsense I'm reading here.
Yes, where have you been? Most of the hate for Ubi begins with Starforce (the worst anti-consumer DRM of the whole lot), and continues on through always-online and multiple PC gamer insults, on through into Tages and uPlay, and a pretty-please PC gamers, we want you back. That, with a console-centric mindset that makes for some of the easiest, no lose games on the planet (see AssCreed non-fights) and a masterful hype machine that raises expectations to soaring heights for that empty, brain-dead gameplay (WatchDogs). On top of that, their constant terrible TV tie-ins, like Grey's Anatomy (the game), gets them a consistent awful rating for a number of their games every year.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
uPlay is alot better than shit they had previously. Even has a offline mode for paranoia fags.
Now I buy only uPlay keys skipping over Steam integration cause if you got a Steam game it will launch Steam too from the uPlay client. You can always make a shortcut if you want the game Steamified.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom