Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Where Journalism Goes to Write Itself

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
"isn't Halo's Cortana extremely misogynist?"
To be fair, Kotaku does this unnecessary shit all the time.
Never on flagships like Halo, that's what I'm saying. Just look at how they cover the same subject, but on different games:

Dragon's Crown (by mr. jschreier , no less):

Game Developers Really Need To Stop Letting Teenage Boys Design Their Characters

As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy. Perhaps game development studios should stop hiring teenagers? At least they're cheap, I guess.
The Real Problem With That Controversial, Sexy Video Game Sorceress
Why complain? Because it's embarrassing. Because I wouldn't want to be seen playing it in public.

Halo 4:

Conan O'Brien Also Thinks Halo 4's Cortana Is Pretty Hot

I mean, I get it. The story's depth might seem a little excessive and unnecessary to an outsider who thinks video games are made for mindless fun. But every year video games get a little better at telling stories. And that's definitely something we shouldn't roll our eyes at, it's something we should be proud of.

So yeah, Dragon's Crown is embarassing, done by a cheap teenager artist with no respect for woman. But Halo's 4 just funny, and we should be proud of how they're getting better every year. (LOL)

DOUBLE STANDARDS? WHERE?!!!111 :roll:
Ho, that story was made by a female no less, maybe Jason is just another mangina trying to score some feminists points. Thanks for the explanation felipepepepepepepepe

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ho, that story was made by a female no less, maybe Jason is just another mangina trying to score some feminists points.
And it's quite a clever strategy. Thanks to that, people can't say that Kotaku is being misogynist, because A WOMAN wrote that article. And Jason can also sleaze out saying "Oh, is not that we have double standards, it's just that they are articles made by different authors, and Kotaku respect every viewpoint, yada yada yada...."

Murk

Arcane
Halo 4 is a hallmark in video game storytelling eh?

My poor dear Planescape: Torment, I will _ALWAYS_ love you.

hiver

Thanks for the article, Grunker. One of the best and most insightfull ones I've read in ages on what's gone wrong in gaming journalism.
You might be right... at least in the sense of directly visible, blatant cascade of decline that Grunker goes through himself - in front of everyone to see.

Only you dont. And you thank him too... :lol: fucking :lol:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Now do one about gamergate plz you faggots

Ho, that story was made by a female no less, maybe Jason is just another mangina trying to score some feminists points.
And it's quite a clever strategy. Thanks to that, people can't say that Kotaku is being misogynist, because A WOMAN wrote that article. And Jason can also sleaze out saying "Oh, is not that we have double standards, it's just that they are articles made by different authors, and Kotaku respect every viewpoint, yada yada yada...."

Now we know why Jason made a piss poor article about ur book. Never forgive, nevah forget :troll:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The finest piece of journalism work here, TY Codex!
The only thing I will never agree is
As with so many other things in life, people are not to blame here. Systems are.
This "System" is non-exist, it is metaphore. People exist. They do all the things.
How Joseph Stalin once said - "Each error and the crime has a name and a surname".

If your world view is shaped by elementary school level logic.

Systems impose orders and templates and people follow along one that fits the most, and cannot operate outside the system at all. However, the orders and templates are all marketing, branding and PR, perception management. A good marketing campaign can buy almost anything and exert considerable influence to change things but is more often used to enforce the status quo.

Sort of like how a lot of stereotypes are usually true; the system enforces stereotypes and unsurprisingly, the results you get are stereotypical. You can easily observe this when you study how certain stereotypes have changed or even become obsolete and invalid over time. Shit changes when there are resources to change it and the will to enforce the change. Same is true for non-change. What matters the most is the collective belief whether any action or inaction will provide stability.

Nothing more natural than an oppressive authocrat like Stalin to make such a statement (if true) which enforces the status quo's conviction that the order is unflawed and thus any flaw in execution lies 100% in individual responsibilities, without any motivation to question the integrity of the orders and the templates it enforces and any kind of consequence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This "System" is non-exist, it is metaphore. People exist. They do all the things.

The same person, acting in different institutions or under different incentives, will act in different ways. That's a pretty simple truth. One supported by both an extensive body of theory (from rational choice to more modern institutionalism) to a vast sum of empirical fact. Both statistics and qualitative interviews show isomorphism and similar structural adaption in agents regardless of where they act - organisations, government bodies, private businesses etc.

In the case of events like Gamescom, the damning cocktail consists of underpaid, overworked, uneducated "gaming journalists" against a powerful, wealthy industry and its horde of PR "bullet sponges" all mixed up in an event designed to blind and downplay the role of said journalists. In the case of game criticism at large, it gets a little more complex and more agency is at work; most gamers and by extension game journalists being infatuated with little besides childish things and far removed from the critical literacy of other art forms certainly remains a deciding factors here. The demand even for a populist, mainstream reviewer with integrity - the aforementioned "Roger Ebert of gaming" - simply is not there.

The greatest contemporary gaming journalist - bar none - is George Weidman, and he is decidedly niche despite his credentials being far above average for the industry, his production values being surperior, his method broad and appealing to all audiences and his content steady.

He simply has two things working against him: being nuanced, and being an adult. Especially the latter is an instant killer in the business.

In any case, I stand by the editorial as relates to gaming "events," even if leaving the conclusions as "systems did it" was a bit lazy of me (and in the context of Codex material, perhaps not wordy enough). Even now, 3 years after writing it, working as a professional journalist and doing critical, investigative stories on a national level for Public Service media, mining anything constructive from a venue like Gamescom would be a fool's errand for me.

Last edited:
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

In the case of game criticism at large, it gets a little more complex and more agency is at work; most gamers and by extension game journalists being infatuated with little besides childish things and far removed from the critical literacy of other art forms certainly remains a deciding factors here.

I think this is a crucial point. It seems like most gamers, even those who view themselves as being "monocled", are caught up in a dynamic in which they want something better, but they lack the breadth of exposure to other forms of art and criticism to understand what that means. So they know enough to get angry at shills, but not enough to demand or seek out better criticism.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If your world view is shaped by elementary school level logic.
If your world view is shaped by logic that is build to justify wrongdoing, on which capitalistic world is basically build.

Systems impose orders and templates and people follow along one that fits the most, and cannot operate outside the system at all. However, the orders and templates are all marketing, branding and PR, perception management. A good marketing campaign can buy almost anything and exert considerable influence to change things but is more often used to enforce the status quo.
System now exist. People impose orders. System is metaphore, that define existing established relationships between people, and nothing more.
People are making choice how to act, not system.
From the moment Gob has given the mind to man, the man makes a choice between good and evil, and man bears full responsibility.
Not system, and not predetermination - a conscious choice of the person.

Nothing more natural than an oppressive authocrat like Stalin to make such a statement (if true) which enforces the status quo's conviction that the order is unflawed and thus any flaw in execution lies 100% in individual responsibilities, without any motivation to question the integrity of the orders and the templates it enforces and any kind of consequence.
He was talking about faults, because if somewhere happens something wrong or bad, there is definitely someone who didn't done his job to prevent this.
What, on West people are no longer imprisoned already for failure to perform their duties? The captain who sank his ship and the passengers for example?
Good life you have there!
Also, I'm trying to imagine such dialog in army - you did not fulfill my order soldier! Sir, it was flawed and unjust, sir!
Hilarious thing isn't it?

The same person, acting in different institutions or under different incentives, will act in different ways.
True, because this person would be acting in different institutions or under different incentives, and I never claimed the opposite. Btw what does this have to do with our subject?

That's a pretty simple truth. One supported by both an extensive body of theory (from rational choice to more modern institutionalism) to a vast sum of empirical fact. Both statistics and qualitative interviews show isomorphism and similar structural adaption in agents regardless of where they act - organisations, government bodies, private businesses etc.
Yes, such theories has been a high demand after World War II because entire Europe was helping Nazis in one way or another, not saying about Germany, and it is natural demind of society, and it's completely understandable request of society, it is so called public order.
In the end, and in fact, it is a denial of its guilt and its responsibility, resulting in wording "soldiers were not guilty, they received the order".
There is only one little thing that ruin all this science-like denial - there were always a people who didn't obeyed such orders, who chose death, possibly agonizing death.
I remember from some article about suppression of identity, there was example, that in concentration camp overseers often tried to break a man, in some one took two prisoners, and told to one of them that he should bury alive other one, or he would shoot him. Prisoner refused. Then overseer told this to second prisoner, and he agreed.
You see, there is no "system", there is only personal choice.

In the case of events like Gamescom, the damning cocktail consists of underpaid, overworked, uneducated "gaming journalists" against a powerful, wealthy industry and its horde of PR "bullet sponges" all mixed up in an event designed to blind and downplay the role of said journalists. In the case of game criticism at large, it gets a little more complex and more agency is at work; most gamers and by extension game journalists being infatuated with little besides childish things and far removed from the critical literacy of other art forms certainly remains a deciding factors here. The demand even for a populist, mainstream reviewer with integrity - the aforementioned "Roger Ebert of gaming" - simply is not there.

The greatest contemporary gaming journalist - bar none - is George Weidman, and he is decidedly niche despite his credentials being far above average for the industry, his production values being surperior, his method broad and appealing to all audiences and his content steady.

He simply has two things working against him: being nuanced, and being an adult. Especially the latter is an instant killer in the business.

In any case, I stand by the editorial as relates to gaming "events," even if leaving the conclusions as "systems did it" was a bit lazy of me (and in the context of Codex material, perhaps not wordy enough). Even now, 3 years after writing it, working as a professional journalist and doing critical, investigative stories on a national level for Public Service media, mining anything constructive from a venue like Gamescom would be a fool's errand for me.
Don't worry, it is just internal logic of capitalism in relation to business processes - fool a buyer and get his money!
Simple as axe.

Might be a misunderstanding but you contradict yourself by talking about capitalistic system before and after saying: 'there is no "system", there is only personal choice.'
Where did the man bearing full responsibility go in relation to capitalism?

The greatest contemporary gaming journalist - bar none - is George Weidman -

Super Bunny George?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can use another word, Google has many words you know.
Aslo, same word can mean different thing in different context, "capitalistic system" here it was in a meaning, about macroeconomical processes, not personal level.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Super Bunny George?

Indeed. Despite an apologetic and nostalgis nature he is head and shoulders ahead of most games criticism simply due to extensive research on each topic, and coherent, Well-written, scripted Content.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom