Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Executr

Cipher
Nobody used ad hominem, just sayin. Do you even know what it means?

Can you read? Or you just read what do you agree with?
I was called a retard for giving some valid reasons for my frustation with this offline news, while that same person is being spreading lies, which was already called for.

But I really shouldn't have to give reasons. I backed the game on the promise of offline single-player, which will not be fullfiled. I won't have what I backed for. Like me many did it. And maybe if not for us 'offliners' the game wouldn't be funded in the first place (if you watched the KS you would know the discussion about the offline and how many backers threatened to pull their pledges).

But if you really want reasons, I'll give you my main reasons: trust and integrity. I know they're hard to come these days with game developers, but I trusted Braben and co. so I'm pretty pissed. Especially with the timing and how it was communicated.

If this all thing was the other way around, instead cutting the online component, I would feel simpathy and be supportive for you guys, not throwing names around.

But whatever, already asked for a refund and I'll stop coming to this thread. I however will lurk and smirk when 16 Dec comes, and you'll be blocked off the game because of downed servers and queues.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The reason is that if you played the beta, probably enjoyed it (otherwise you wouldn't have played it), you didn't care about being always online (otherwise you wouldn't have played it), then don't try to pull a 180 and want a refund. Oh, you liked playing online, didn't have any problem with it, but suddenly, after you put a 100 hour into our game, you want your money back? Then fuck you!
is that what frontier actually said, or is it you coming up with something incredibly ridiculous on your own? either way it is a huge pile of bullshit that would only be valid if dropping offline mode had been announced before beginning of beta, as being able to and having played online extensively now does not mean that offline mode was not somebody's main reason for purchase.
for example, i get infrequent assignments with a length of several months that see me off to some shithole with company provided lodgings where i have very limited or no internet access. if i knew something like that was coming up, i'd definitely demand at least a partial refund to the lowest tier with free major add-ons and buy some proper singleplayer games for the money. dropping offline at the last minute is a dick move. not giving refunds afterwards for people who played beta is another one.

not cool, frontier. not cool at all.

For the kickstarter dudes, tough shit. Kickstarter's a donation; never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use kickstarter. You're not even an investor, you're not guaranteed to get shit, you're just giving a donation to an idea 'cause you're brain bleached, and for some reason enjoy taking the risk of developing something upon yourself, the risk the developer should take, not the consumer. Just be thankful Little B. didn't just take the money and hop over to Mexico

For dudes like me who got beta, well, a dick move begs a dick move. If they won't refund; chargeback. This is a blatant false advertising bait and switch which didn't come somewhere in the middle of development, but less than a month before full fledged release. Call up your credit card and file a chargeback, EULA's not law, I don't give a shit what's written in there, if I don't get the product I'm promised, then I've been lied to, and deserve my money back. No ifs buts or what have you.

Lastly, no, excluding offline isn't 'no big deal.' Enjoy pausing the game because you've gotten explosive diarrhea after chugging a 2L bottle of mountain dew with your dorito covered chode-fingers, oh wait you can't 'cause it's online only, asshole, I hope you didn't forget to put your extra absorbent adult diaper on.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
YGlHrFr.jpg

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
For the kickstarter dudes, tough shit. Kickstarter's a donation; never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use kickstarter
It's not like that. What they just did is wreck their reputation. Look at what happened with Planetary Annihilation. When the same dev came back to KS with a second project, they failed hard and they had to start fireing people. The same thing will happen with FD and everybody that got screwed will be dancing on their graves. Fuck them! They deserve all that's coming to them.

almondblight

Arcane
The reason is that if you played the beta, probably enjoyed it (otherwise you wouldn't have played it), you didn't care about being always online (otherwise you wouldn't have played it), then don't try to pull a 180 and want a refund.

The hell? So people who played Towns or Stomping Grounds have no right to complain when the developers stopped working on the game, because since they played those games they must be satisfied by them? "You played the beta so we don't owe you shit." Not sure why so many gamers have Stockholm syndrome, but this kind of garbage is a cancer that needs to die.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This is J "Double Fine Did Nothing Wrong" C you're talking to. Bastard still owes us an impartial review of Spacebase DF9.

bonescraper

So, does anybody know if there's a planned wipe when the game hits gamma? I don't know if i should start playing fo realz tomorrow, or should i wait til saturday.

bonescraper

But it makes little sense, unless the gamma update adds more stuff.

But the gamma wipe is the final wipe, right? We get a headstart? Tell me it is so.

Oh, and look what i found:

HighResScreenShot_2014-11-19_11-45-43.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, yeah they'll wipe the slate clean.

Guess it wouldn't be fair on people like me if bored endgame-participants were camping the newbie station during the first days of the gamma. :P

bonescraper

Guess it wouldn't be fair on people like me if bored endgame-participants were camping the newbie station during the first days of the gamma. :P
Hmm, that's not what i've heard. I guess i'll need some clarification on that.

And don't worry, where there are pirates, there are bounty hunters.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

FD said there'd be a wipe for Gamma, but progress in Gamma would carry over to live. So we still get to camp SV at Azeban Orbital in our upgraded Cobras.

bonescraper

Then i hope i'll get my compimentary Eagle this saturday. Otherwise, it's worthless.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
It's always a pleasure to laugh at idiots who spent money on kickstarter.
kickstarter is a reward platform for good ideas, to be used by people who can afford to waste some money on the vague promise of something without any guarantee to its functionality or quality.
without kickstarter, this game wouldn't have happened anytime soon, if ever. despite the dick move with offline mode, the game is still good, as nearly everyone playing can attest (unlike the purely hype-based opinions about nms).

so in context, you are laughing at people who made an actually good game, one that many have been waiting for, happen with money they could spare, which most of them have now been playing for quite a while, and you do it because a team of obviously competent developers and designers decided to pull a few dick moves to maximize profits, while also calling them idiots, but spreading hype-propaganda about a game that hardly anybody (and i am being generous here) has played or tested so far, by mostly unknown people, which is due to release at nearly the same time. maybe it's just me, but all in all it makes you look rather moronic yourself.
FD said there'd be a wipe for Gamma, but progress in Gamma would carry over to live. So we still get to camp SV at Azeban Orbital in our upgraded Cobras.
'dexer, please. upgraded cobras are starter ships.
:troll:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
It's always a pleasure to laugh at idiots who spent money on kickstarter.
kickstarter is a reward platform for good ideas, to be used by people who can afford to waste some money on the vague promise of something without any guarantee to its functionality or quality.
without kickstarter, this game wouldn't have happened anytime soon, if ever. despite the dick move with offline mode, the game is still good, as nearly everyone playing can attest (unlike the purely hype-based opinions about nms).

so in context, you are laughing at people who made an actually good game, one that many have been waiting for, happen with money they could spare, which most of them have now been playing for quite a while, and you do it because a team of obviously competent developers and designers decided to pull a few dick moves to maximize profits, while also calling them idiots, but spreading hype-propaganda about a game that hardly anybody (and i am being generous here) has played or tested so far, by mostly unknown people, which is due to release at nearly the same time. maybe it's just me, but all in all it makes you look rather moronic yourself.
'dexer, please. upgraded cobras are starter ships.
:troll:
You're trying too hard.

Mortmal

Arcane

Do you have a source for that ? I browse the forums but never found anything reliable, nor in the newsletter. It makes little sense to wipe after last beta so a wipe after gamma wouldnt suprise me that much...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Do you have a source for that ? I browse the forums but never found anything reliable, nor in the newsletter. It makes little sense to wipe after last beta so a wipe after gamma wouldnt suprise me that much...
Creator Frontier Developments on October 20, 2013

@ Synchromesh

Alpha and Beta are for bug testing, in Gamma we expect people to play as they would normally - which is why we've said we'll take the time we need to ensure that these stages are completed correctly. We won't be reseting during Gamma unless something completely game breaking is discovered.

Michael
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/posts/633090

Bradylama

Arcane
I better take my gear out of storage and play through the training missions again before Saturday. I stopped playing midway through Beta 2 so I'm pretty rusty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom