Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Both Far Cry 2 & 3 had shitty elements that ruined what could otherwise have been decent games.
Such as? Coz right now FC3 is 5 bucks at Gamersgate and the last FPS I've played was Crysis 1 couple of years ago so I'm thinking I could go for it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Both Far Cry 2 & 3 had shitty elements that ruined what could otherwise have been decent games.
Such as? Coz right now FC3 is 5 bucks at Gamersgate and the last FPS I've played was Crysis 1 couple of years ago so I'm thinking I could go for it.

Don't waste your money, this game is nothing like Crysis (not that Crysis was all that great to begin with...)

Modern FC series is the worst kind of popamole:

popamole gameplay: 0 challenge, weak gunplay, awful AI, terribad stealth, hit indicators, regenerating health, highly repetitive,...
crafting
always in your face RPG lite mechanics
crafting
cringeworthy story
crafting
Uplay DRM
crafting

Last edited:

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well for startless there's the endless checklist of stupid collectibles, radio tower, outposts, memory cards, relics, vases. And then there's the uninteresting missions in general. And some of the worst writing in video games I've ever seen, with god awful characters.

The world feels pretty dead, and isn't very reactive. There's some fun sandbox stuff in there, but if you actually try to do everything in the game it starts to become really tedious. Then there's the QTE's, the really slow console interface, the annoying loot/inventory system, the taking away control from the player, the awful save system.

It does have Skrillex though.

If you're gonna play it, you should really just cruise through the missions, and do only a couple of the side quests.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well for startless there's the endless checklist of stupid collectibles, radio tower, outposts, memory cards, relics, vases.

There's some fun sandbox stuff in there, but if you actually try to do everything in the game it starts to become really tedious.

Ah, so it's like Black Flag with its pointless idiotic filler collectibles up the wazoo? Yeah, fuck that then.

Far Cry 3 is basically Ass Creed formula done for FPS. More fun than AC, and more challenging too.. well, I mean, you can actually die. Though a lot of the same flaws from AC are present here, so it's best enjoyed just following main story and not bothering with most of side stuff. 5 bucks is an adequate price for it. Ubisoft just make really shallow sandboxes.

And some of the worst writing in video games I've ever seen, with god awful characters.

You must not have played many video games then, most of them tend to have even worse writing and characters. Not that I'm saying Far Cry 3 has great writing or anything. It's just that at least characters were more colorful than what's usually found in games.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Don't waste your money, this game is nothing like Crysis (not that Crysis was all that great to begin with...)

Modern FC series is the worst kind of popamole:

popamole gameplay: 0 challenge, weak gunplay, awful AI, terribad stealth, hit indicators, regenerating health, highly repetitive,...
crafting
always in your face RPG lite mechanics
crafting
cringeworthy story
crafting
Uplay DRM
crafting
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations
Exaggerations

FarCry 2 and 3 are fun, flaws and all. 5 bucks is a great bargain.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You must not have played many video games then, most of them tend to have even worse writing and characters. Not that I'm saying Far Cry 3 has great writing or anything. It's just that at least characters were more colorful than what's usually found in games.
One character was well written and colorful and
he disappears mysteriously halfway through the game in a weird dream sequence.
The rest of the writing is all over the place and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Shit, I can't even remember that anymore. I just recall that I found bad guys to be considerably more entertaining than what's usually found in games.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Though I think they really misstep by

killing off Vaas at the 2/3rds point in the game

Seeing as he was without a doubt the most entertaining character in the game.

Felt that Far Cry 2 and 3's gunplay were good, just the sandbox aspects were either dull or non-existent. Far Cry 3 took a one step forward, two steps back approach by adding hostile wildlife to the mix, but introducing a crafting mechanic which only really bogged the game down to grinding through wildlife to collect enough pig asses to craft a bigger wallet. Though this admittedly was nowhere near as bad as Far Cry 2's open world, which seemed specifically designed to do absolutely nothing but just waste the player's time driving through empty nothingness for minutes at a time between missions, getting into gunfights with outposts who will track you down to the ends of the fucking earth once they spot you (and you best pray to god they don't destroy your vehicle in the process, because if they do...well, hope you enjoy walking!), or periodic missions to retrieve malaria pills which serve absolutely no purpose story wise, and exist solely to stop whatever the player is doing dead in their tracks and waste time trying to find more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ah, so it's like Black Flag with its pointless idiotic filler collectibles up the wazoo? Yeah, fuck that then.

To be fair the collecting that matters is based on killing shit, namely animals. That's how you upgrade your equipment and whatnot, by killing animals that often fight back or are a challenge to find and shoot. It's not like pressing 'E' on random shit is really needed to play the game. You do need to climb towers I guess but that takes a few seconds. The core of the game is either great base infiltration missions and assassination missions (good stuff) or painfully linear main story missions (sometimes good, mostly bad).

If you liked Crysis it is definitely worth $5 to try out, without question.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
If you liked Crysis it is definitely worth $5 to try out paying a trip to the bay of the pirates, without question.

Fixed. Because you shouldn't pay Ubishit money, on principle, no matter how little money.

Also there is nothing Far Cry 3 did that hasn't been done much better in Crysis, or even Crysis 3 for that matter.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you liked Crysis it is definitely worth $5 to try out paying a trip to the bay of the pirates, without question.

Fixed. Because you shouldn't pay Ubishit money, on principle, no matter how little money.

Nonsense, if I was given a choice with a pistol at my head to support an AAA publisher I would choose Ubisoft without much thought. They're the least retarded of them all even though they're guilty of some nasty shit too. But at least they throw some respectable budgets into pure PC games that are positively niche these days - Settlers, Anno, Homam, M&M etc. It's probably because they're French and partly commies, so they now and then say "fuck the profit, let's do something crazy" but still.

See if any other big publisher invests an A-level budget into something that is not FPS, third person adventure or some mass market shit like that.

I've heard that FC4 won't run on dual cores unless they have hyperthreading.

Because it's set to run on core 3.

:greatjob:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nonsense, if I was given a choice with a pistol at my head to support an AAA publisher I would choose Ubisoft without much thought. They're the least retarded of them all even though they're guilty of some nasty shit too. But at least they throw some respectable budgets into pure PC games that are positively niche these days - Settlers, Anno, Homam, M&M etc. It's probably because they're French and partly commies, so they now and then say "fuck the profit, let's do something crazy" but still.

See if any other big publisher invests an A-level budget into something that is not FPS, third person adventure or some mass market shit like that.

They're very bipolar though, some of their ports are complete garbage. Far Cry 3 ran really well on my older machine though, and looked great.

Gerrard

Arcane

Well for startless there's the endless checklist of stupid collectibles, radio tower, outposts, memory cards, relics, vases.

There's some fun sandbox stuff in there, but if you actually try to do everything in the game it starts to become really tedious.

That's actually every Ubisoft game right now.

I've heard that FC4 won't run on dual cores unless they have hyperthreading.

Because it's set to run on core 3.

:greatjob:
Optimization for PC? Who cares.

SC Blacklist is the best recent popamole they've released, and it isn't a sandbox game, what a coincidence.

I actually think the game looks better below max specs - the sunshafts are awful, it's like someone smeared smoke over the whole screen.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I actually think the game looks better below max specs - the sunshafts are awful, it's like someone smeared smoke over the whole screen.

You shouldn't stare at the sun, your eyes'll go out, didn't your mom ever teach you that?

TripJack

Hedonist
bro don't you see the black bars make those unskippable cutscenes and the challengeless console-friendly gameplay more cinematic~!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom