Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any game like Myth ?

naossano

Cipher
Hello codexians,

I am starting this thread with some concern, as i don't seem to find a satisfying answer on the web. Maybe i would have more luck here, where many people seem to have some isometric video games culture/knowledge.

A few years back (probably more than 10), i ended up buying a cheap game on a random store, that was partially translated in french (when some NPC talked, it was one french sentence, one english sentence, etc...), and it took me a while to learn how to play it, but once i mastered it, it got me hooked.

That was Myth 2: Soulblighter. It has a gameplay that i can hardly find anywhere else. A limited number of units, a limited number of kind of units (bombards, melee, archers), no ressources management. You are overwhelmed by ennemies units, that are, for the most part, stronger than yours and more versatiles, so you have to use the right units agains't the right ones, avoid some fights, sacrify some units to distract ennemies while the other move to the next point, or suffer heavy casualties hoping there won't be another fight soon. It is fun, it has lore, missions that have varying design and all fit to the overall plot which isn't awesome, but quite engaging. It has some mix of sprites and 3D (i believe it is voxel), isometric view, speed settings, real-time with pause, a free camera that actually work great (which is pretty rare), a lot of challenges, and some feelings for your little characters (you can rename them, they gain experiences if they kill ennemies and survives to be with you on the next missions) and it didn't age much.

All the mix of those elements made a very engaging game, and i often replay it, and the previous game Myth: The Fallen Lords. But after a while, as much as enjoyed this story, these missions, i crave for more. I tried the mods, none of them seem to work. I tried Myth 3, it worked for a few days, now it doesn't (Windows 8.1 user). I might try again someday, but i was wondering if there are some games that took elements from it, have common points, etc... Any game/DLC/mod/freeware/engine/etc... That emulate Myth or is close enough to be enjoyable and provide new experiences with that gameplay, or it was a bright concept doomed to be forgotten, like Jagged Alliance.

spectre

Arcane
You can check here:
http://www.projectmagma.net/
I saw they had some ongoing projects like additional scenarios and campaigns, but I don't really know if they were successful.

Unfortunately, Myth seems to be one of the kind. All we can do is cry in silence as we masturbate ourselves to sleep while reading Glenn Cook.

naossano

Cipher
Thanks for those links.
I didn't expected a game currently in develloppement claiming Myth inherritence, althought i am a little affraid of the focus on multiplayer... (This isn't the side of Myth i am interested in)
Let's wish it luck so it'll inspire others...

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Don't worry. Original Myth was first made to be a good and balanced multiplayer game and after that they made a singleplayer campaign.
Source: Pages from old gamedesigner book. Read multiplayer section.

http://i.imgur.com/jb4zSmm.png
http://i.imgur.com/M0d1iDR.png

Deadhold designers have the same idea.

"Don't worry, the release date refers to Early Access Multiplayer. We're going to be running a free public MP alpha well before EA too. Single player is planned, but we've decided to focus on MP->MPCoop->SP/Coop, in that order. Single player is a tonne of work, and is best developed once all the classes have been built, balanced and hammered on by a community in MP. Needless to say, its a ways off."

-fisj <=== game designer

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I am going to stretch your idea quite a bit here, and recommend some games to at least look at. They aren't much like Myth, because nothing really is, but have elements in common.

Two that spring to mind are MechCommander(1&2), and Commandos(1-2-3, though there are criticisms of all, probably 2 is the "best").

Real time with pause, difficult(sometimes extremely so) scenarios, characters to get attached to. They are both isometric. The plots are okay, not nearly as artistic as Myth, but Commandos' "art" is pretty great, and it's hard to argue against Mechs bashing each other.

MechCommander is probably closest in game-play to Myth, due to how different units function, the missions are structured, and how units gain experience and die, though there is some resource management between missions.

naossano

Cipher
Got all the commandos games, except the one that shouldn't be named, and the concept/level design is great, although you can't sacrify anyone on those games. (I am wondering, by the way, if the IP is totally dead or if there are plans to make new campaign. It is one of the rare games that are popular and hardcore at the same time)

I might give a try to MechCommander, despite the presence of mech.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That genre is almost dead and most of the games made were WW2 focused. Last similar games released are Dawn of War 2 and Men of War series.

Sudden Strike started the wave but I never liked it personally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Strike

Alot of them were made by Stormregion.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StormRegion
Codename Panzers series (my favorite) Phase 1 and 2 (cant buy them and they had shitty drm) you play as commanders and follow their story. Rush for Berlin(and Rush for the Bomb exp) was continuation of series and they shut down the doors just before they released Cold War. Rush for Berlin and Cold War are on Steam. Also Joint Task Force was a modern spinoff made by some other company http://store.steampowered.com/app/6400/.

Also Nival made Blitzkrieg series, first one had a million of expansions and user made content and there were several games made of the same engine like Stalingrad or Cuban Missile Crisis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg_video_game (available on GoG.com, well worth the money)

Also Soldiers: Heroes of WW2, Faces of war, Men of War are long running series made by the same developer and they've been at it for more than a decade releasing new shit. Its all on Steam or Gog.

There was another game in post apoc setting I cant remember the name of. Made by german dev team.

DraQ

Arcane
Hello codexians,

I am starting this thread with some concern, as i don't seem to find a satisfying answer on the web. Maybe i would have more luck here, where many people seem to have some isometric video games culture/knowledge.

A few years back (probably more than 10), i ended up buying a cheap game on a random store, that was partially translated in french (when some NPC talked, it was one french sentence, one english sentence, etc...), and it took me a while to learn how to play it, but once i mastered it, it got me hooked.

That was Myth 2: Soulblighter. It has a gameplay that i can hardly find anywhere else. A limited number of units, a limited number of kind of units (bombards, melee, archers), no ressources management. You are overwhelmed by ennemies units, that are, for the most part, stronger than yours and more versatiles, so you have to use the right units agains't the right ones, avoid some fights, sacrify some units to distract ennemies while the other move to the next point, or suffer heavy casualties hoping there won't be another fight soon. It is fun, it has lore, missions that have varying design and all fit to the overall plot which isn't awesome, but quite engaging. It has some mix of sprites and 3D (i believe it is voxel), isometric view, speed settings, real-time with pause, a free camera that actually work great (which is pretty rare), a lot of challenges, and some feelings for your little characters (you can rename them, they gain experiences if they kill ennemies and survives to be with you on the next missions) and it didn't age much.

All the mix of those elements made a very engaging game, and i often replay it, and the previous game Myth: The Fallen Lords. But after a while, as much as enjoyed this story, these missions, i crave for more. I tried the mods, none of them seem to work. I tried Myth 3, it worked for a few days, now it doesn't (Windows 8.1 user). I might try again someday, but i was wondering if there are some games that took elements from it, have common points, etc... Any game/DLC/mod/freeware/engine/etc... That emulate Myth or is close enough to be enjoyable and provide new experiences with that gameplay, or it was a bright concept doomed to be forgotten, like Jagged Alliance.
Under the risk of comically missing the point:

Homeworld 1.

It's Sci-Fi instead of fantasy and it does have resource collection and unit production. However:
  • At least in SP you'll probably be doing most of your production, collection and research during downtime.
  • Your whole force carries over between missions (although there is no XP mechanics)
  • Units' strengths and weaknesses are important, so is spatial management
  • Fun and lore included in copious amounts
  • RTWP, although without speed settings, camera and general controls leave even Myth in the dust in terms of intuitiveness
  • Nice, "ok, I'm screwed, it can't get any worse" (it will) difficulty curve reinforcing the feeling of being overwhelemed
Sadly it doesn't have Myth's terrain (because space) or physics (it does have some, but not to the extent Myth 2 had - then again Myth 2's attention to simulation detail bordered on autistic :salute: ), it does, however have full 3D movement (because space).

Dayyālu

Arcane
Another incredibly long shot for your request. Maybe old Warhammer games?

Rites of War and Final Liberation are TB (so they don't count). But Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen are Real Time and you keep your units between fights (At least in Dark Omen, never got the chance of playing Shadow of the Horned Rat, and I only know that's somehow infamous for being quite difficult). Plot is standard WH fare, so meh.

Mark of Chaos is a more recent Real Time, with armies between missions and...well....good hammy voice actors? It's not bad, also pretty meh.

Abomination: The Nemesis Project is a contender (Real Time, limited units, strategic layer). It's also pretty mediocre, bar for the truly weird art.

naossano

Cipher
I tried Abomination recently. It seems like Crusader: No remorse with a party instead of one guy, although it was made 5-7 years later.

I'll if i can give a shot unto some of them, although i think the more promising is the one that isn't done yet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can also try plugins and fan missions for Myth, one of them turn it into wild west era, other into vietnam war era. Glorious. Everyone got grenade and do welcoming gesture by setting it off.

Destroid

Arcane
If you don't mind ancient stuff, Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge fits your description, outside of graphics/camera.

Khor1255

Arcane
You can also try plugins and fan missions for Myth, one of them turn it into wild west era, other into vietnam war era. Glorious. Everyone got grenade and do welcoming gesture by setting it off.
Wow. I wonder if there is an active modding community for Myth2?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
ou can also try plugins and fan missions for Myth, one of them turn it into wild west era, other into vietnam war era. Glorious. Everyone got grenade and do welcoming gesture by setting it off.
Wow. I wonder if there is an active modding community for Myth2?[/QUOTE]

http://tain.totalcodex.net/mythii/solos-coops
They're not that active, they done what they wanted and now archived their stuff on tain.totalcodex. At least they do it right compared to other modding communities (hi, Stalkers, DoW and UT) that lost most of their stuff after main page lost.

Sinatar

Arbiter
If you don't need fantasy then give the Ground Control games a try as well as World in Conflict.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yes, there are plenty of games like Myth. Called tactical strategy games. Ground Control, World in Conflict, Original War, Freedom Force, Commandos series, XIII Century, Fallout Tactics, Ground Control 2, Nexus, Men of War series, and im sure im missing more.

spectre

Arcane
possibly_retarded.png

naossano

Cipher
Yes, there are plenty of games like Myth. Called tactical strategy games. Ground Control, World in Conflict, Original War, Freedom Force, Commandos series, XIII Century, Fallout Tactics, Ground Control 2, Nexus, Men of War series, and im sure im missing more.

That's why i described the game on the first post. If all the tactical strategy games were even close to Myth, there wouldn't be any need for this thread.

Anyway, thank you for trying to help. A codexer told me about Deadhold, and i bet one or two of the other games mentioned might be interesting on their own.

PS: About the setting itself, i don't know if i prefer fantasy, but i would avoid those that try to emulate modern real wars. I prefer fictionnal world. But the thread isn't only for me. If some like those, they would be happy to learn about them.

Last edited:

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
There was some warhammer fantasy based one that was way better than Myth imho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom