Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Mortmal

Arcane
I find it amusing that they chose what they themselves describe as a "comfort food" RPG as RPGOTY, when it was precisely this year that had so many good to great non-"comfort food" RPGs (some of which even RPS themselves enjoyed).

But its the rpg of the year! rpg of the year is serious business and i will explain you why you cant give that to larian. Its like someone pressed A for awesome on the EA stock :

cGmA09G.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Its good, but it hink a lot more work have been put into divinity than shadowrun . It was truly an excellent year,probably the ebst ever, on the top there''s grimrock 2 too as serious contender.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fitting that you'd say this in a DA:O thread considering the rather Biowarean writing of Dragonfall. :M
Its a DA:I thread, and i wouldnt call "biowarean" something of that quality. Dragonfall is gud.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
D:OS has one of the greatest combat systems ever made and is great to look at but everything else is average to terribad. Definitely doesn't deserve GOTY.

Wasteland 2 has good writing and gameplay mechanics, too bad only the second half of it is GOTY material.

There's MMX and LoG2 and I enjoyed both of them immensely but grid based blobbers are probably too niche for GOTY, even on the Codex. Same for even more niche games like Xulima etc.

Haven't played Risen 3 but apparently, despite being quite solid, overall it's the same pale, sad shadow of past PB glory as Risen 2 was. Haven't played Dragonfall either.

To be honest as far as the game journos are concerned DA:I was by far the only contender for mass media GOTY. We should have our own GOTY tho. Should be much more interesting.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fitting,what is better than console shit?Phone shit.

... I have to agree, though. D:OS and WL2 have better mechanics but more filler and lapses in execution. It's not necessarily the biggest or fastest hot dog eater that wins the eating contest, but the one that holds a steady pace.

I mean, looking at the check list, WL2 has the Skill system to let you role-play, the area and quest design to support it, and the story to make you care enough to explore and figure it out; but only rarely does its content succeed in doing all three of these things simultaneously.

In contrast, Dragonfall lets you use your skills to role-play, has the story to make you care enough to do it, but small environments and streamlined quest design; while it doesn't exactly encourage cleverness or persistence, there are consistently two or three approaches for each run and the role-play to content ratio really good.

Last edited:

imweasel

But its the rpg of the year! rpg of the year is serious business and i will explain you why you cant give that to larian. Its like someone pressed A for awesome on the EA stock :
cGmA09G.png

In 2014, things have changed — at least within the ranks of some EA investors, encouraged by the company’s strong performance throughout the year. In the six months leading up to Sept. 30, the company’s revenue rose 34% to $2.2 billion, while net income swung to a profit of $1.05 a share from a loss of 17 cents a share in the year earlier period. Again, video game earnings are notoriously volatile, but the numbers show that Wilson’s efforts are paying off — especially a plan to focus more of EA’s development talent on fewer of its games.

EA expects to release 10 titles for consoles and PCs this fiscal year, a third of the number it pumped out four years ago. Despite having fewer titles, EA’s revenue from Xbox and other console games more than doubled last quarter to $631 million. Mobile revenue, meanwhile, grew 69% to $123 million, or 12% of GAAP revenue. Two years ago, when Zynga was a hot stock, incumbents like EA looked vulnerable as mobile games threatened to sideline consoles. This year, EA is managing to grow console revenue while gaining a foothold in mobile games.

Why Electronic Arts Is Suddenly Roaring Back to Life

TLDR: The positive trend of EA's stock has nothing to do with Dragon Age: Shitquisition. Makes sense, since EA hasn't released any official sales or revenue figures for that piece of shit.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So is mobile gaming crash going to happen?

I suspect that either the casuals will be tired of the mobile/facebook games or will get overwhelmed by the choices and stick with a few popular ones, causing others to just die off.

Mortmal

Arcane
In 2014, things have changed — at least within the ranks of some EA investors, encouraged by the company’s strong performance throughout the year. In the six months leading up to Sept. 30, the company’s revenue rose 34% to $2.2 billion, while net income swung to a profit of $1.05 a share from a loss of 17 cents a share in the year earlier period. Again, video game earnings are notoriously volatile, but the numbers show that Wilson’s efforts are paying off — especially a plan to focus more of EA’s development talent on fewer of its games.

EA expects to release 10 titles for consoles and PCs this fiscal year, a third of the number it pumped out four years ago. Despite having fewer titles, EA’s revenue from Xbox and other console games more than doubled last quarter to $631 million. Mobile revenue, meanwhile, grew 69% to $123 million, or 12% of GAAP revenue. Two years ago, when Zynga was a hot stock, incumbents like EA looked vulnerable as mobile games threatened to sideline consoles. This year, EA is managing to grow console revenue while gaining a foothold in mobile games.

Why Electronic Arts Is Suddenly Roaring Back to Life

TLDR: The positive trend of EA's stock has nothing to do with Dragon Age: Shitquisition. Makes sense, since EA hasn't released any official sales or revenue figures for that piece of shit.

I am suscribed to a newsfeed, and noticed the 21/10 , one was about dragon age inquisition release. If you look on the chart at that exact moment, the stock goes up.Why not before ? I dont think its a coincidence.Maybe its irrationnal, but you dont need official sales or figure for those kind of things to happen.

dryan

Arcane
So is mobile gaming crash going to happen?

I suspect that either the casuals will be tired of the mobile/facebook games or will get overwhelmed by the choices and stick with a few popular ones, causing others to just die off.
It's looking an awful lot like a bubble. It has to burst at some point, because, my dick aside, nothing else is capable of expanding indefinitely.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Observe the wonders of Biowarian modeling skills:

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B01-29-29-16.jpg

Ignore the superior aesthetic value of the hat and observe the little cloth helmet needlessly enveloping the character's head. Yeah, that's right guys - Bioware couldn't be arsed to create a hat-wearing model for each of the character hairtypes, so they just covered up your hair with a glaringly-hideous cloth helmet and hoped you wouldn't notice. :lol: At first I thought the hat caused my hair to change its color, which would have actually been preferable to this. In the world of Biowearian hat design, one size fits all. And some people wonder why everyone turns off helmet visibility.

Also, I just noticed that DAI had completely eliminated the tactics system, more precisely it's reduced to turning auto-use of abilities on/off and exactly FOUR tactical behaviors - follow/defend player, health threshold, mana threshold and potion reverse. Yup, if you want to program your party to use regeneration potions before going into battle - you're shit out of luck. Could do that six years ago in DAO, could do that even in the piece of shit DAII, but the award-winning GOTY next-gen masterpiece forgot how to do that. In addition to a useless tactical view, impoverished skill selection, inability to modify attributes, and so on.

Bioware - you piece of shit.

Actually, consoletard video game industry - you piece of shit.

For reference, this is the PC without a hat:

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B01-29-40-20.jpg

dryan

Arcane
Uninstalled it today. Just looking at the screenshots above brings me terrible memories of tedium.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Girlfriend finished it. After I suggested she try out Dragonfall, she decided to play through Inquisition a second time. I said biiiiiitch babe, Dragonfall's $5, you'd like it. Nope. So I threw some Funyuns at her and said she should play Inquisition seven times if she likes it so much, and she said, maybe I will! And that's my tale about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

dryan

Arcane
Girlfriend finished it. After I suggested she try out Dragonfall, she decided to play through Inquisition a second time. I said biiiiiitch babe, Dragonfall's $5, you'd like it. Nope. So I threw some Funyuns at her and said she should play Inquisition seven times if she likes it so much, and she said, maybe I will! And that's my tale about Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Your imaginary girlfriend has too much freewill. Remember, she can like video game you like, because she's inside your head!

Athelas

Arcane
Dragonfall is positively Shakespearean when compared to the crap Larian writes.
Sure, but the same can be said about a lot of things when compared to D:OS' writing.

Wasteland 2 has good writing and gameplay mechanics, too bad only the second half of it is GOTY material.
If you added the words 'not particularly' before 'good', I would agree.

DraQ

Arcane
Replace GF or become a brosexual.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Maybe bw anticipated 99% of the players disabling show helmets. It a shoddy piece of monday morning crap work regardless. And indeed we didnt believe it possible but bw actually succeeded in dumbing down further. Extrapolating you have 2 Tactical Options in da4, Fight Yes/No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom