Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

DraQ

Arcane
Observe the wonders of Biowarian modeling skills:

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B01-29-29-16.jpg

Ignore the superior aesthetic value of the hat and observe the little cloth helmet needlessly enveloping the character's head. Yeah, that's right guys - Bioware couldn't be arsed to create a hat-wearing model for each of the character hairtypes, so they just covered up your hair with a glaringly-hideous cloth helmet and hoped you wouldn't notice. :lol:

(...)

For reference, this is the PC without a hat:

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B01-29-40-20.jpg
Is it a small pointless piece going over the eart to specifically hide a wisp of hair or ear clipping through the cloth cap?
I don't know which possibility is more hilarious.

At first I thought the hat caused my hair to change its color, which would have actually been preferable to this. In the world of Biowearian hat design, one size fits all.
I think the most obvious solution is to make helmet model slightly larger than physically necessary, so that hair don't clip through. Or, in case of extravagant hairstyles make hair/part of the hairdo not show when the helmet is on - like Bethesda does.
It's a fucking no-brainer.

And some people wonder why everyone turns off helmet visibility.
I even derided them for that but not any more (I can still deride them for buying BW turds, though).

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
Is it a small pointless piece going over the eart to specifically hide a wisp of hair?
I had assumed so at first, but a closer look reveals...

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-33-22-04.jpg

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-33-42-24.jpg

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-34-04-11.jpg

The cloth helmet is indeed clipping through the ear, it's a marvelous fashion statement that doesn't factor in the possibility of its wearer having ears. :lol:
Are we sure Bioware are actually Canadians? They are displaying thirdworldian levels of laziness/irresponsibility.

DraQ

Arcane
I had assumed so at first, but a closer look reveals...

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-33-22-04.jpg

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-33-42-24.jpg

DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-12-30%2B19-34-04-11.jpg

The cloth helmet is indeed clipping through the ear, it's a marvelous fashion statement that doesn't factor in the possibility of its wearer having ears. :lol:
Are we sure Bioware are actually Canadians? They are displaying thirdworldian levels of laziness/irresponsibility.
Probably Nu-Canadians, the MVLTIKVLT ones.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I really want to punch the person that wrote that.

His passive aggressive nature is infuriating.

eremita

Savant
Girlfriend finished it. After I suggested she try out Dragonfall, she decided to play through Inquisition a second time. I said biiiiiitch babe, Dragonfall's $5, you'd like it. Nope. So I threw some Funyuns at her and said she should play Inquisition seven times if she likes it so much, and she said, maybe I will! And that's my tale about Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Seven times? She would be entitled to write a codex review...

Well, at least yours play videogames (and at least it's RPGs, not stupid facebook games), mine hopes I'm gonna "grow up and do something worthwhile"...

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So I just got this game for my PS4... and while I'm still early on, Bioware pretty much made an entire game based around the Radient Quest system from Skyrim. Seriously, the Hinterlands has so much shit content in it... why is it there? Bioware really have fucked with the pacing of the game by putting in all this random needless "go to x and do y" bullshit.

It looks good though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So I just got this game for my PS4... and while I'm still early on, Bioware pretty much made an entire game based around the Radient Quest system from Skyrim. Seriously, the Hinterlands has so much shit content in it... why is it there? Bioware really have fucked with the pacing of the game by putting in all this random needless "go to x and do y" bullshit.

It looks good though.
99% of DA:I quests are like hinterlands

From what I've read, you don't even need to do any of it - it's all meant to artificially bloat the playtime statistic and nothing else.
You can safely skip to the game's high points: meeting schizophrenic elf dyke and riding bull cock.
You're welcome. :thumbsup:

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm 60 hours in the game and I'm just over half point I think.

The game is massive and you know what? It's great. Sure those filler quests could be avoided, but when you play some time you know which ones you can actually avoid.

I can see why PC gamers are complaining though, it's meant to be played in consoles only.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Villagkouras

Can I do that yet? :M
Of course you can, but in the meantime I am enjoying a game while most of you here wank, thinking of a game that will never be made: Your game of dreams.

Στάλθηκε από το OnePlus One μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So having a few days off during the holidays I got back to the damn game and finished it. One thing is clear - in most respects DAI is the worst of the trilogy. You heard right - overall I "enjoyed" DA2 more.

True this game is bursting at seams with content, problem is majority of it is shit content. And I'm not even talking about gathering herbs and knocking out various dumb side quests because at least crafting is worth it in this game and sidequests give you XP and perks (which truly matters only on Nightmare but whatever). What I'm talking about is the War Table. Whaat the fuck? This whole system is breathlessly pointless. So you send one of your dudes to derp around some area for a few hours and for that you get either a few herbs, aroud 150 gp, or 30-60 influence. In a game where your can haul thousands of gp in ten minutes of questing and hundreds of influence in the same time span. Or you get some weapon or upgrade you could've used five levels ago. The only worthwhile activity is opening up new regions or new areas within already unlocked regions - which is stupid anyway because you have to travel back to Skyhold and then again back to the newly open area. Game design!

There are of course problems specific to Beware games, mostly related to "relaishuns" with your characters and I don't wanna get bogged down in those. Let's just say the relative openness of the game doesn't mesh well with building up tight relaishuns so ultimately you don't give a shit about the histories and fates of your teammates. Not to mention that as a straight male you get only one viable romance option - Josephine - since Cassandra is full of testosterone and the romance affair with the only lady my dwarf inquisitor really "cared" about - scout Harding - is either bugged or content-cut or whatever, either way it doesn't go anywhere. So I didn't get to see dat sweet dwarf-on-dwarf sex. On the other hand if I was a gay I would be like a kid in a chocolate factory.

Setting aside Beware specific "relationshiping", DAI is yet another RPG that doesn't get loot mechanics right, like, at all. Which is not that surprising considering even most loot-based games fuck up in this department but Bioware is notoriously bad with itemization. Here it's better than everything they've done since Kotor but that's not saying much. Fundamental problem is majority of the content is tailored to a party between levels 12 and 16, roughly. The result is once you cross this threshold you spend about half of the game finding loot far below your needs. Plus there are oceans and oceans of useless "grey" trash loot. Why? The fuck? Plus crafting is always superior even to most unique items you will ever find.

That covers most of the big problems with this game. There are others - like why the world isn't seamless but stupidly cut up in zones? Why are the main mission quests taking place in corridors again? What the fuck is up with the hair? Plus music is barely average (definitely worse than Skyrim) and voiceacting is a standard Bioware fare, with some truly appaling exceptions. Only the sound design is outstanding, especially various roars and growls of the dragons.

But there's one reason I stuck with it to the end - on PC on Ultra settings the game looks simply incredible. I just needed to explore every corner of this otherwise humdrum MMOish world. The lush forests of Emerald Graves, the "Scottish" landscape of Crestwood, the atmospheric nighttime desert of Hissing Wastes...oftentimes I just stopped and looked around in amazement. Sure the effect is to a large degree achieved through jazzed up contrast and overdone colour saturation but still...the artists responsible for textures, landscaping and architecture design truly deserve GOTY, not the derpy writing brigade lead by Gaider. I literally can't wait what they'll do with the engine and with the same team for the next Mass Effect, especially it it's next-gen only.

EDIT: Did I say that covers most big problems? I lied. The combat is abyssmal and the PC UI atrocious. Now it covers it all.

Last edited:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
damn that vid looks like its from a better game (playing it without sound, so i have no idea whats being said)

much slower battles it seems, with better gfx (no seizure inducing bright colored sfx shitstorm)

set

Cipher
i can't believe xRazorFistx gave this game a thumb's up. Shows you just how delerious some people can get.

Sykar

Arcane
I'm 60 hours in the game and I'm just over half point I think.

The game is massive and you know what? It's great. Sure those filler quests could be avoided, but when you play some time you know which ones you can actually avoid.

I can see why PC gamers are complaining though, it's meant to be played in consoles only.

My first reaction::what:

Then I came to the right conclusion about you:

:avatard:

Mortmal

Arcane
Of course you can, but in the meantime I am enjoying a game while most of you here wank, thinking of a game that will never be made: Your game of dreams.

You are wrong good sir, they arent thinking of a dream game, they dont enjoy gaming at all. They get here to say dragon age is shit , wich means free and easy brofist and then to feel like the coolest kid on the block . Its for the ego and morale boost.Its like group therapy.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Totally agree, I don't think they enjoy gaming and having fun. They'll never be satisfied and they'll hate those who just want to have a good time (and they do).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom