Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single Player Strategy

kain611

Augur
Looking for under played strategy games, real or turn based, that have a good single player campaign in them. Starcraft series and Warcraft series can be left out of suggestions. I personally love Sins of a Solar Empire but it always bugged me there was no single player story arc.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ground Control series.

Original War.

Age of Wonders 1

Myth 1 and 2.

HoMM 2 .

Perimeter.

Imperium Galactica 2.

Nexus The Jupiter Incident.

Act of War.

Empires Dawn of the Modern World.

World In Conflict.

Raapys

Arcane
C&C games
Dune2(000)
Earth 2150
KKND 2
Dawn of War
Alien Legacy
Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance
Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain

DeepOcean

Arcane
KKnD 1 and 2 are very fun.
The Cossacks series are fun too.
Age of Empires 2 has a fun single player campaign.
Don't forget Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2.
World in Conflict single player has an awesome what if Cold War story that is very worthy playing.

Last edited:

kain611

Augur
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Does anyone know of anywhere to get Universe at War through digital means? Also does it work on Windows 7-64 bit?

Tolias

Educated
I know you said the Starcraft series can be left out, but there was [and somewhat still is] a a good-sized community making custom starcraft campaigns - some of them are incredibly good, with thousands of lines of triggers, voice acting and quality writing. Check Campaign creations starcraft forum.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Deeper Dungeons (the expansion for Dungeon Keeper) it bring much needed difficulty to the game. A must play.

Renegen

Arcane
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warhammer: Dark Omen

I also personally like the Elven Legacy games.

Destroid

Arcane
Homeworld
MechCommander
Crescent Hawks Revenge if you don't mind going waaaay back in terms of UI/graphics.

Did Battlezone or BZ2 have a good singleplayer? I don't remember.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Uh, if you like Sins of the Solar Empire but want a singleplayer experience, you have to play Homeworld.

Alternatively, 'Ancient Space' is a relatively new singleplayer RTS set in space, but the reviews are mixed.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Disciples 2 (try the third game only if you need a time killer)
Heroes of Might & Magic 3
Battlezone series
Supreme Commander (iirc I enjoyed it)
Carrier Command: Gaea Mission
:troll:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lords of Magic - Turn based strategy with rtwp combat. No campaign here though, the entire game is one big map.

Kingdom under Fire - Starcraft clone with Warcraft skin. Has some horribly bad "RPG" levels, but the RTS part of the campaign is pretty solid if you want more of Starcraft.

Rpgsaurus Rex

No one mentioned:

Populous: The Beginning (it's owned by EA, just torrent it); it's so good people still play it online.

Majesty + expansion http://store.steampowered.com/app/25990/

I second Battle Realms (flawed but interesting, also hard), Perimeter (underrated gem), Beasts and Bumpkins, HoMM3, Warlords, C&C: Tiberium Sun

kain611

Augur
Yeah I have Battle Realms.

Aren't they making a new new Battle Realms? Or Re-make?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The Command and Conquer series is always a nice bet.
You can get Tiberium Dawn, Sun and Red Alert 1 for free, though not Red Alert 2.
Those games (the Westwood era ones) are better than the new ones anyway.

Ground Control is a nice little Real Time Tactics game.

Dark Reign is pretty cool. The tutorial is pretty funny - if you take too long the instructor starts verbally abusing you. Just like Arch Dornan would have done :D
It also has some interesting terrain mechanics, which were pretty neat for it's time.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Populous: The Beginning (it's owned by EA, just torrent it); it's so good people still play it online.

Ah, yes, Populous: The Beginning, otherwise known as the shittiest Populous game ever made. Play Populous 2 if you want to actually enjoy the experience.

It's not even a real Populous game, in the sense that you can just click and move your units around. Pitiful, poor form, so shame.

Destroid

Arcane
Populous 3 might be different from the early ones, but it's still an unusual and interesting take on RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom