Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looks exactly like Viper Mk II + modern graphics - the gay, and more like vanilla Viper than actual Viper.
it only looks somewhat like the viper if you played way too much ffe3daj.

DraQ

Arcane
it only looks somewhat like the viper if you played way too much ffe3daj.
It looks exactly like I'd imagine a hi-def hybrid of Mk I and II would look like. From I it takes general silhouette, flat top of the aft section, and spaced apart thrusters.
From II it takes top placed cockpit and overall message of aerodynamics, albeit realized by wing/control surfaces rather than having its entire hull in hilariously fruity shape.
It looks like the hybrid of both and sexier than either, based on old low poly models alone (I don't even remember FFED3D variant, other than the alternative police model a guy made, and haven't really played D3D much).

If anything ED Vipers look more like Fer De Lance - central hull has about the right shape (minus two pronged nose, but it doesn't fit Viper either), including narrowing towards the end and ridged, rather than flat aft section.

Morkar Left

A bit more opinions of mine about the game:

- overall game is fun but not great. I'm already looking at Oolite, Evochron and X3 again. Good thing I waited with buying a new stick and additional equipment because right now I don't feel like spending any more money for the game.
- ships and equipment prices / balances are all over the place and need tweaking.
- some descriptions what the actual equipment / equipment class actually does would be highly appreciated.
- trading is a bit off as well
- getting shot down for bad parking skills is a joke
- paying fines in the thousands for loitering as well
- Where are the hostiles who are trying to kill me? I guess more people die through parking incidents than combat.
- multiplayer is annoying as hell. Every time I play I get disconnected from the server when landing. Which means I have to do the landing approach twice. I don't know if I'm always at the busiest times in mp.
- needs more variation in ships types. It gets boring seeing only cobra mk3 all the time. Besides that there is only the Cobra MK3 and the python I want to fly.
- I suspect the ships you meet in space are dependent on your own level/ranking?
- I want more information before accepting assasination missions, basically I want to know what ship they are flying and maybe what level of competence (Elite-Ranking) the victims have.
- I want a galaxynet service which you can pay for similar as in Space Rangers 2.
- I want more ship equipment available on stations
- I want a logbook functions and a save system to automatically store prices of stations. It doesn't matter for me if trading info gets outdated, that's actually cool. But I want to keep track how the general economy is developing.
- I would like to change some soundfiles on my own. Especially music and the ships computer voice.
- I want a fucking autopilot for supercruising. This is actually the thing I'm missing the most.

Morkar Left

Being good is determined by either your ability to plot trade routes or how you good you are in a dogfight. Everything else is just a lack of convenience and not determined by skill.

Bradylama

Arcane
Being good is determined by either your ability to plot trade routes or how you good you are in a dogfight. Everything else is just a lack of convenience and not determined by skill.

I'm just teasing, but it really does seem like most of your complaints are convenience based. If the game saved price information for you it'd be way too easy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My biggest problem is the inconvenience of playing the game as well.
- lack of autopilot in super-cruise
- not being able to transport modules from station to staion
- not being able to check that what modules a station has, and you have to visit them manually.

Let's just look at EVE Online regarding the last problem I mentioned. Let's say I want to buy a good pulse laser in EVE. I go to the market, ask for pules laser. It lists all the station that has a good pulse laser. I choose one, then go there with my transport ship, bring back the laser and install on my fighter ship.

In Elite: you want to buy a pulse laser, so you go from station to station, visit every station you see, maybe one of them will have a C3 pulse laser. And this could take hours. You are not doing anything constructive, you are just travelling from system to system, looking for a module. And if you have a viper with short jump range, maybe you can't even reach that one station, which actually has that pulse laser.

Morkar Left

If the game saved price information for you it'd be way too easy.

How? It would be enough to only save the price information from stations I visit and I otherwise have to write down per pencil and paper or screenshotting it and using ocr.
There are programms (slopeys) which collect data from all players who submit the trading prices to it. And even using these programms isn't guaranteed profits because the economy is changing. The data gets even wiped from the database when older than 24 hours or so because they consider the data as to old (which I don't agree).
In short; there is no need for artificially making things more tiresome because the economy seems flexible enough to counterbalance it.

Morkar Left

Have you tried using a spreadsheet? The game has a native Borderless mode so alt-tabbing is a breeze.
Yes. It's still tedious and timeconsuming to type in everything manually on a sheet. Like I wrote, there are even screenshot ocr programms available.

praetor

Arcane
O hai. What's going on in dis thread? :M

(mostly) legitimate complaints that this is barely half a game and is early access in all but name, with the only truly good thing being the flight model, with the usual 'sperging trolls criticizing that flight model because they'd rather play "i want to be a dragon satellite" orbiting a random planet than play an actual game with content

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
(mostly) legitimate complaints that this is barely half a game and is early access in all but name, with the only truly good thing being the flight model, with the usual 'sperging trolls criticizing that flight model because they'd rather play "i want to be a dragon satellite" orbiting a random planet than play an actual game with content
Well, being a dragon is obviously also preferable to a shitty metal can that somehow can't exceed 300m/s even in vacuum.
Are the ED spaceships based on reverse engineered Fiat 126p technology, or something?

praetor

Arcane
Well, being a dragon is obviously also preferable to a shitty metal can that somehow can't exceed 300m/s even in vacuum.

that's funny... i can go over 130c in about a minute (maybe even less if i don't go anywhere near a gravity well). i guess in sperglandia 300m/s > 130c

Runciter

Augur
You mean that mini-game where you need to keep pointing at that funny little circle while it moves around?

Morkar Left

that this is barely half a game

That's too hard. The game is fully functional and has at least - if not more - to offer than most freeform spacegames.
It's just missing comfort features and better balancing. Additionally the game relies completely on the freeform formula and offers no single player campaign or handcrafted missions with story which makes people easily bored as soon as they have a decent ship.

Bradylama

Arcane
Unless you're a member of a player alliance with particular goals in mind (like flipping a system for your favored faction), there's not much point to sitting down and playing this game long-term when you have a good ship. It's a great game for playing sporadic sessions with until the expansions start coming out.

Morkar Left

actually a good summary of the core gameplay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom