Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Absalom

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/14/n...launch-day-bundle-with-zelda-majoras-mask-3d/

Zelda-Majoras-Mask-780x482.png

Well now they're coming out with a MM themed 3DS, but it doesn't come with the game (Or even a power adapter, like what the fuck) and has already sold out on preorders. Guess I'll pass on this.

Luckra

Educated
I would have prefererd a purple 3DS to be more in touch with MM theme (the Link Between Worlds 3DS is very similar to this one). No power adapter screams "Upgrade your system" more than "newcomers welcome" I don't think you can even buy an adapter seperately.
No game in the bundle is a weird concept.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
No power adapter screams "Upgrade your system" more than "newcomers welcome" I don't think you can even buy an adapter seperately.
official nintendo 3ds/dsi adapters cost 9bucks (3rd party usb charger cables cost half as much) and can be bought separately everywhere where the dses are sold. 3ds xl doesn't come with an adapter either, because most people getting one are expected to already have 3ds or ds xl.

as for the color, gold is pretty much the official zelda color since 1, so purple would be weird.

Luckra

Educated
I didn't know about the adapters, good to know they're cheap.
as for the color, gold is pretty much the official zelda color since 1, so purple would be weird.
True. This new 3DS is too similar to the collector Link Between Worlds for my taste (where the OoT and LBW are very different with one going gold on black and the other black on gold :D).
The MM Special Edition went with something black and purple and I think that color scheme could work on a 3DS.
specedmajora.jpg
Anyway the pre-orders are already sold out so problem solved.

Avellion

Erudite
Anyway the pre-orders are already sold out so problem solved.

They were sold out in 15 minutes. And that was without pre-order incentives.

Pretty common with Nintendo physical goods nowadays, but because they refuse to learn their lesson on why the 25th anniversary for Super Mario was a failure (despite what they may seem to think, it was not because they produced too many copies, but because the price they asked for Super Mario All Stars was ridiculous). They took the wrong lesson, and now repeat a certain mistake over and over.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New bar clock is pretty ugly. Why would they do that? The constantly ticking clock seems like it would be annoyingly eye-catching. :|

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This thread makes me want to play Terranigma so badly. Sigh, time to crack out the Super Nintendo I guess.

This thread also makes me want to try Zelda games, which I have avoided due to god knows what reason, probably because I hate Mario 2d platformers and somehow the two are linked in my mind.

This thread makes me want to play Terranigma so badly. Sigh, time to crack out the Super Nintendo I guess.

This thread also makes me want to try Zelda games, which I have avoided due to god knows what reason, probably because I hate Mario 2d platformers and somehow the two are linked in my mind.
:hmmm:

Equating Zelda games with 2d platformers is like equating Morrowind with CoD.

Not to imply that all Zelda games are good, or that all 2d platformers are bad.

Avellion

Erudite

Zelda is completely different from 2D Platformers. Zelda is basically ideas they had during the design of Super Mario Bros, but did not work in a 2D Platformer game. Zelda in many ways was designed to be hte opposite of Mario.

Some dumbfucks even claimed it was an RPG (though to be fair, unlike DA:I, you can actually allocate your stats in Zelda 2).

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
First RPG I played when I was a kid was Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, which was awesome, so Zelda will always be a Overworld/2D plarformer crossover for me.

A start screen so beautiful it brings tears to the eye:
zelda2_logo.gif

Catholic and badass non-blond Link (with strange feminine hips and waist):
57547-Zelda_II_-_The_Adventure_of_Link_(USA)-1.jpg

Read the text, it was not marketing hype, this game is CHALLENGING:
nes_legendofzeldaadevntureoflink.jpg

OoT and MM were great to play as a teens, each in their own way. However, TP and related were awful and I haven't played a Zelda game since. Didn't play the gameboy and SNES games, looked like shit and for little children.

Ocarina is like classic Zelda redone in Mario 64 style with great success while Majora Mask has a fantastic and crazy vibe, which could only be pulled off by japs... Just look at this shit:

majoras-mask-moon.jpg

Of course both games have flaws (OoT is boring with the lame elemental shit and the story fizzles out; MM is just plain weird and short), but the goods outweight the bad,

Last edited:
I've often seen MM criticized for being too short, but I think it's actually a pretty perfect length. It's the rare game that seems to have a real cohesion between art, design, and plotting/pacing. Throw in the fact that it has more optional content and C&C than the rest of the Zelda franchise combined and it easily justifies its cult status.

By comparison I've found most of the Zelda games since (especially the main tier console releases) to be bloated, overlong, and linear.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
In Zelda 2 Link could walk on water, had healing abilities, perform various miracles, had a strong relationship with crosses, saved the world and came back from the dead (multiple times).

He truly is the messiah of Hyrule.

Also, what is a Preincess?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

:hmmm:

Equating Zelda games with 2d platformers is like equating Morrowind with CoD.

Not to imply that all Zelda games are good, or that all 2d platformers are bad.
Yeah I am aware of the failure :lol:. Like I said somehow the two are linked in my mind, very early childhood trauma maybe :lol:.
After a while of course, I just stopped paying attention completely and if you don't pay attention you don't know anything about whatever it is you are ignoring. Think about random pictures on the net that feature Link... usually they have nothing to do with overland anything, it's just a kiddy elf who would fit in great with yoshi or kirby. When the 3D stuff came out I just assumed it had transitioned from a linear 2D platformer to a 3D one.

Guess I should try and hunt down a link from the past, start from there. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it too, hell I played through shit like "Lagoon" having a blast, it is a shame that precise and difficult adventure/action games are so rare these days.

Caim

Arcane
Link to the Past is a fine place to start the series indeed. It was my first Zelda game (alongside Link's Awakening, which had its own charm), and one of my favorite games to date.

Ocarina of Time is a good game on its own merits, but has you engage a bit too much in plot-related bullshit compared to the earlier games. Majora's Mask... well, I don't like the whole Groundhog Day thing. And having to redo bullshit just to get something else done is just a waste of my fucking time. Twilight Princess has some of the best dungeons in the series, but it's the in-between segments that bog the game down.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Link to the Past drags too much. If you want the fast, condensed Zelda experience go A Link's Awakening DX.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Link to the Past suffers from terrible art direction (childish) compared to previous Zelda games. That's why I never tried, as I was getting older (I was 10-11 yo when it launched). I guess the game looked cool for your regular 4-5 yo boy. When I was 17 and OoT launched, it looked cool for teens. Same with MM.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Link to the Past suffers from terrible art direction (childish) compared to previous Zelda games. That's why I never tried, as I was getting older (I was 10-11 yo when it launched). I guess the game looked cool for your regular 4-5 yo boy. When I was 17 and OoT launched, it looked cool for teens. Same with MM.
I can see why you wouldn't like Zelda for SNES when your first and best Zelda experience was Z II, since it was way too easy compared to its predecessors. But terrible art direction? No, no, just... wrong. Even by today's standards and all the emerged retro pixel stuff it is still beautiful to look at. And it looks exactly like the logical consequence of Zelda I on a platform with doubled bit count.
I also don't sse how it is childish. Most of the game it has a rather dark tone. I mean, the game starts with your uncle dying.
Zelda series became childish with its successor Link's Awakening and all its stupid "oh I'm such a self-aware gaem"-jokes.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
To be fair, I don't know the story, so you are probably right. I'm just comparing sprites:

legend-of-zelda-ii-the-adventure-of-link-classic-nes.jpg

virtual-console-au-buyers-guide-part-4-20070423084933753.jpg

When I saw it, I was like "Why does link look like a fat child and has pink hair?" But well, I was 10 or 11... Btw, Zelda 2 was dark too, with Zelda laying dead in the first screen:

Zelda_II_Princess_Zelda.jpg

Caim

Arcane
What I find amusing about Zelda 2 is that the Zelda you awaken in that game is NOT the same Zelda from the first game. She's a distant ancestor of some kind who was cursed into eternal sleep by some asshole wizard (who then died). Nobody considered to use the Triforce to wake her up because of reasons, I guess. Instead her asshole brother who caused all that shit declared that all princess henceforth would be named Zelda, to remember what became known as the Tragedy of Zelda I .

But here's the kicker: at the end of the game you wake her up, it's implied she kisses Link... and then what? Suddenly you have two princess running around who qualify for the same throne: I'd say that Zelda I (not the Zelda from Zelda I) has a better claim to the throne because she's the eldest and the closest blood relation to the first Zelda (the one from Skyward Sword) and by extension to the goddess. But that would mean that the current Zelda is out of a job, which she very well might not like. And you know what happens after that? Succession crisis!

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
True, Z II was very different in many ways. Unfortunately I never got into it. 2hard4me ... :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom