Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Everyman and the Action Hero

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Ben Schneider, writer and quest designer at Iron Lore Entertainment, has written an article for Gamasutra called <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1420/the_everyman_and_the_action_hero_.php>"The Everyman and the Action Hero: Building a Better Player Character"</a> that focuses on defining player characters, giving the example of several CRPGs that got it right including Planescape: Torment and Fallout:<blockquote>And yet one of my all-time favorite games is the RPG Fallout, which spins its own version of an unknown hero in unfamiliar territory. There are some key differences, however. First, there is a sense of a safe home, and second, in a sense, you know exactly who you are. Home is an underground bunker, which has been sealed away from the world ever since the nuclear holocaust. But the bunker’s water-purification chip has failed, and somebody will have to venture outside and find a replacement. And that someone is you.

The feeling of wide-eyed naiveté as you step into the hot sunlight of the radioactively transformed surface-world feels natural and earned. The game simply and gracefully has given you an everyman character to play, and a plot with the urgency and drama to make it work. You are a messenger on whom lives depend, and, as you learn more about the looming threats lurking in the wasted world above, a potential savior. (The point belongs to some other article, but the familiar Mad Max setting makes your immersion into the world that much easier.)

In other words, Fallout doesn’t avoid back-story and character definition at all. Instead, the player character is properly defined by the circumstances of the story, a perfect everyman. Situation is everything, and Fallout isn’t just a good beginning. By largely eschewing simplified morality (you don’t have to be a good guy, and most of the people in the game aren’t stamp-mold bad guys), these interactions become more real and meaningful than in almost any other game I’ve played.</blockquote>It does my heart good to know some people in the industry still get it. :salute:

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Zomg

Arbiter
If I never read anything about Joseph Campbell Hewwo's Jouwney bullshit again it will be too soon.

galsiah

Erudite
Every time I read the words "story" and "storytelling" I get the urge to find our dear Schneider, punch him hard until he stops talking, and carve "YOU AREN'T TELLING A FUCKING STORY" into his forehead.
Thankfully I don't have the energy.

The best parallel for a character's path in a game world isn't a story about some guy's life - it's that guy's actual life. Naturally, such a path is a difficult idea to understand and work with (like life), so the tendency is to dash off to the trivial-and-familiar notion of a story.

Lovely as the simple "story" model is - with its wealth of cinematic/literary background -, it's next to useless if the intention is to fully exploit the medium. It's probably a great idea if your goal is to turn a film directly into a game with the minimum of alterations - but is anyone really that tragic? Maybe you can't do The Matrix effectively as a game. I'm pretty sure you'd have trouble doing Tennis as a book too. Don't be idiotic enough to try.

Games might contain stories, but they are not stories. Telling stories isn't the primary goal, and attempting to construct specific stories runs directly counter to interactivity - games' raison d'etre.
If someone aims to make and sell "games" which amount to films with token interactivity, then fair enough. I just wish they'd fuck off, do it quietly, and stop thinking it's progress.

Section8

Cipher
If the goal of a game was to tell a story, I'd wonder why I'm spending fifty dollars on shitty "young adult" fiction.

Young adult? The Harry Potter series is more literate and mature than most games, and even Garfield eclipses just about anything Bioware have ever done for depth of character and comedic value.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
galsiah said:
Every time I read the words "story" and "storytelling" I get the urge to find our dear Schneider, punch him hard until he stops talking, and carve "YOU AREN'T TELLING A FUCKING STORY" into his forehead.
Thankfully I don't have the energy.

The best parallel for a character's path in a game world isn't a story about some guy's life - it's that guy's actual life. Naturally, such a path is a difficult idea to understand and work with (like life), so the tendency is to dash off to the trivial-and-familiar notion of a story.

Lovely as the simple "story" model is - with its wealth of cinematic/literary background -, it's next to useless if the intention is to fully exploit the medium. It's probably a great idea if your goal is to turn a film directly into a game with the minimum of alterations - but is anyone really that tragic? Maybe you can't do The Matrix effectively as a game. I'm pretty sure you'd have trouble doing Tennis as a book too. Don't be idiotic enough to try.

Games might contain stories, but they are not stories. Telling stories isn't the primary goal, and attempting to construct specific stories runs directly counter to interactivity - games' raison d'etre.
If someone aims to make and sell "games" which amount to films with token interactivity, then fair enough. I just wish they'd fuck off, do it quietly, and stop thinking it's progress.

True.

If a game can't stand on its own without its story, then it's not a very good game.

Baphomet

Scholar
Section8 said:
Young adult? The Harry Potter series is more literate and mature than most games, and even Garfield eclipses just about anything Bioware have ever done for depth of character and comedic value.

Kiddie fiction, then?

The Cat in the Kingdom said:
I do not like them in a dialogue box
I do not like them with treasure chest locks
I do not like them in a quest
I do not like them with jest
I do not like them here or there
I do not like them anywhere
I do not like consequence and choice
I do not like them, I-am-Joyce

Section8

Cipher
I do not like you bad pathfindin'
I do not like you dead Gorion

I do not like gnoll after gnoll
I do not like "space hamstar lol"

I do not like you chibi sister
I do not like you own-mouth-fister

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom