Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

9/10 review for ufo:extraterrestrials

Oarfish

Prophet
:shock:

It's a pretty lame remake. Better buy TFTD from steam, it still plays great.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Oarfish said:
:shock:

It's a pretty lame remake. Better buy TFTD from steam, it still plays great.

I dunno, the mods look pretty amazing. It's surprising how moddable the game is.

The forums seem full of people who love the games. I'm looking eagerly forward to getting it....

sheek

Arbiter
The moddability raises it from a 6.5/10 to an 8.0/10... for me anyway. If I didn't have the internet and was a complete computer-illiterate, then I wouldn't be able to fix the game with the mods.

When is the fucking patch coming out?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
sheek said:
The moddability raises it from a 6.5/10 to an 8.0/10... for me anyway. If I didn't have the internet and was a complete computer-illiterate, then I wouldn't be able to fix the game with the mods.

When is the fucking patch coming out?

true, but one thing I really liked - they are not only working on a patch, but they are incorporating many of the modders' changes into the game.

I did not look too closely but it seems as if the game is practically open source without the need for compilation, somehow - they can even change what's displayed on menu screens beyond fixing typos, if I am reading right.

Anyhow. I think the patch will help a lot, and the mods all seem to be pretty sane - my only worry is that they will get unbalancing later like most modders tend to do, but it seems easy to scale things down....

Baphomet

Scholar
Snippit from a review for one of the damn worst fighting games I ever played:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/review/R42023.html said:
Story: 7/10
This game has a remarkable amount of story for a fighting game. It takes place 20 years after the arcade-only Hyper Neo Geo 64 Samurai Shodown games, and thus only Haohmaru (now renamed ''Haomaru'') returns. Apparently, in this game, there's an island ruled by three EVIL PEOPLE who want to take over the world or something. Nakoruru, who is apparently now 10 years old and a forest spirit or something begs you to save Nature by killing them. Sure, whatever.

Hey, I said it had a lot of story. I never said it was terribly unique. That said, even the hidden characters play a role in the story somehow, so there's plenty of incentive to play through the game using all the characters you earn.

It's not exactly hard to impress these basement dwelling mouth breathers.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jim Kata said:
I did not look too closely but it seems as if the game is practically open source without the need for compilation, somehow - they can even change what's displayed on menu screens beyond fixing typos, if I am reading right.

They can add menus too. B-man's mod adds a whole new interface where you can change or toggle all kinds of variables, chance of death, night/day effects, thresholds for experience levels etc.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
Jim Kata said:

They can add menus too. B-man's mod adds a whole new interface where you can change or toggle all kinds of variables, chance of death, night/day effects, thresholds for experience levels etc.

That's pretty amazing.

If it's not too much effort I might make adjustments myself, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom