Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idiot's guide to Space Rangers 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The basic price is the same, but some departments may offer a multiplier (x2).

sqeecoo

Arcane
It's interesting to note that you are able to stick any "this race only" module into dominator stuff.
Also, giving the scientists dominator stuff speeds up their research speed until they use them up.

On the subject of the best weapon, the UMHO's are the best, yep. For single targets, energy might be better (especially if you are fast), but vs. more than 1 target UMHO's are absolutely brutal. Dominator swarms simply disappear in 2-3 turns. The only problem is that you have to get them from dominators (using the alarm program, typically), and you can't upgrade them. And they suck in black holes.

I was wondering if anyone played as a pirate, with no goody-two-shoes mankind-saving stuff but extorting money from ships. Is it possible on impossible (heh)? Do you get killed or the dominators take over?

Speaking of dominators, can they actually come to dominate every system? What happens then? If you are docked at a planet when they "take over" the system? Or perhaps they can not take over the system while there are ships in it?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Once there are no ships in a system it's taken over.

You can lose the game, though I never had. Most games early on I have 80-90% of the galaxy taken over and sometimes it is many yeas before I can free up the home planets of the peleng, which sucks because they have the best hulls.

darkpark

Novice
Anyone get the "Chekumash" sickness? It's an interesting Peleng sickness that causes hallucinations to be seen in outer space and during my trip to the medical base, I saw tie-fighter and x-wing ships flying around.

I haven't been observing carefully, but has anyone been able to see whether fragment or energy type weapons penetrate shields more effectively? Or does it not matter? An observation that I have made is that multi-resonators aren't as cool as they sound. When you hit someone with that weapon adjacent ships get hit too, but they only get a small portion of the damage I think. The problem is that the small damage gets reduced to almost nothing from shields, manuv. skill, and hull/ship armor. This is what I have observed and as such, I would say that this weapon would be more effective a little earlier in the game.

Someone in this thread mentioned that trading is a viable source of income and it is, but ultimately it becomes inferior to doing missions and/or dominator parts scavenging.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
darkpark said:
Anyone get the "Chekumash" sickness? It's an interesting Peleng sickness that causes hallucinations to be seen in outer space and during my trip to the medical base, I saw tie-fighter and x-wing ships flying around.

I haven't been observing carefully, but has anyone been able to see whether fragment or energy type weapons penetrate shields more effectively? Or does it not matter? An observation that I have made is that multi-resonators aren't as cool as they sound. When you hit someone with that weapon adjacent ships get hit too, but they only get a small portion of the damage I think. The problem is that the small damage gets reduced to almost nothing from shields, manuv. skill, and hull/ship armor. This is what I have observed and as such, I would say that this weapon would be more effective a little earlier in the game.

Someone in this thread mentioned that trading is a viable source of income and it is, but ultimately it becomes inferior to doing missions and/or dominator parts scavenging.

The problem with the trading is that the profits don't scale well over time. They start off extremely lucrative if down right, but later on even making 100k from a trading run is barely worth your time when you can make that much from a fedex run.

If the economy were better done, it would work in opposite fashion; you would get about the same money for the standard missions over time and only get scaled money for the more complex ones, whereas trading should become more and more lucrative in comparison.

As for that sickness, it is pretty cool. You can see the death star, and I got into some fights because I hallucinated that friendly ships were dominators :lol:

darkpark

Novice
Spoiler alert!

Did anyone find the fight with the big Blazeroid a little disappointing? I was ready for a fight when I saw it upon entering the system, but after uploading/running the blazeroid program the fight was over. It was a little anti-climatic.

In regards to loot: This game needs to have cargo ships that you can hire. With a large hull and a full cargo hold of loot, your ships starts to putt along like a mule.

Balor

Arcane
Well, you can still try and kill it yourself... good luck with it :).
Well, it's possible. It's just VERY hard.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
f you put it on autofight you can kill it in a few weeks on autofight.

There are multiple ways to kill it.

You can destroy it witht he software, becomes its master, attack it while the system is being assaulted by the good guys, or my favorite - use the beacon to have the terranoids come attack and then let them blast him down and deliver the coup de gra yourself.

Balor

Arcane
[quoteIf you put it on autofight you can kill it in a few weeks on autofight.[/quote]
Only on easier difficulties, I guess. And do you mean REAL weeks? Sounds close enough :P

The beacon one is easiest way of kiling him... and the funniest one, indeed.

Elias

Novice
Hi folks,

Im new to the forum and space rangers 2 I have also read 2 faqs on the game and most of this thread(which is a great thread) but I have put my questions in a seperate thread. One thing I must say though I have a high spec pc and I never ever thought I would enjoy a game with 2d space travel as much as I have this game, its unbelievable what they have done with it, and ive only been playing 2 to 3 days and am crap lol ......how long have you people played thats playing on hard? Also is the galaxy really unique every time you reroll?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Elias said:
Hi folks,

Im new to the forum and space rangers 2 I have also read 2 faqs on the game and most of this thread(which is a great thread) but I have put my questions in a seperate thread. One thing I must say though I have a high spec pc and I never ever thought I would enjoy a game with 2d space travel as much as I have this game, its unbelievable what they have done with it, and ive only been playing 2 to 3 days and am crap lol ......how long have you people played thats playing on hard? Also is the galaxy really unique every time you reroll?

Not totally unique, but there is randomization.

I have played maybe 10 games. After the first two I played on impossibl mode for most of the settings. You get much better at the game as you figure out what to do.

Elias

Novice
I posted this in my genral topic asking for tips about the space rangers 2 game , I have been getting on great with it up until the quest where I need to make a pizza lol .....man this quest is annoying does anyone know where I can get a list of what races like , its just im know good with foods and stuff e.g in the cafe it says food with minerals , yeah well I know of no food with ore in it haha

Point proven though im no chef hehe , anway I would appreciate if someone could direct me to a list that specifies exactly what food the races like as i have tried lots of combinations based on what ive read in game

Elias

Novice
Not meaning to come across thick here, well I am where food is concerned lol I just eat the stuff but it meantions some race likes neon or something? Is that a fish

darkpark

Novice
I haven't had that one, but from my experience you don't have to know much about the topic. Just make sure to read EVERYTHING within the text story.
If you're still stuck, than just go by trial and error and be sure to write down what works.

cardtrick

Arbiter
You get the option in that quest to go to a restaurant. Do that, and order one pizza from each race (that should be exactly the amount of restaurant credit that you had been provided with). The descriptions of the pizza will tell you what each race prefers. I don't remember the preferences myself (and they may even be randomized) but they're along the lines of one race liking balanced colors and exotic foods, one liking only seafood, etc. Then, when you go to the actual competition, you can see the races of your five judges. I think the quest may be impossible (or at least exorbitantly difficult) with certain combinations of judges: for example, if you got one from each race, I think it would be impossible to please all of them. My second time playing the quest, I got four Gaalians and one Terran, so it was very easy to win just by focusing on pleasing the Gaalian tastes and throwing in a couple of things for the Terrans (Gaalians and Terrans weren't too far off from each other anyway, if I recall). If you try it a couple times and don't have good luck with judges, you should probably just suck it up and pay that shifty guy to bribe one of the judges (make sure you bribe the one whose tastes are least like the others, and then don't focus at all on pleasing that one).

Elias

Novice
Thanks jim ) glad to see Im not the only one who found some of the culunary terminology a pain :) Anyway I got past it, it was a pain I just tried what I already was trying proir to posting e.g goto the pitza place prior to going into competition and write down some of the things other races like. I actually did come across another forum where people had trouble with this quest its not that say you get 4 pelungs and 1 human well youve got it easy but when I figured out what to do I kept getting a mix of them all which is bad anyway this link is really useful for anyone stuck on this quest

http://www.elementalgames.ru/forum/msg. ... &page=auto

makes a good addition to this good faq on here

yeah cardtrick thanks :) I was doing that anyway but it was at the point I figured out to do hat I kept getting bad mixes of races

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Oh, that one.
Pelengs like seafood.
maloqs like high calories.
Gaalians like colorful pizzas.
those purple guys like vegetarian stuff.
humans like a balanced pizza.

darkpark

Novice
If or when the science bases finish researching dominator technology, will they continue to purchase dominator stuff or should I sell anywhere now?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
darkpark said:
If or when the science bases finish researching dominator technology, will they continue to purchase dominator stuff or should I sell anywhere now?

They will stop taking it once all three have been researched.

Elias

Novice
Another thing to add for later in the game to this guide could be :

Good weapon setups for hulls with 3 weapon slots and then good setups for 4 slot hulls, I actually have a multi resonator, the weapon that slows down ships and 1 lezka , that fillys my 3 slots but it doesnt seem to be working to well , I can tank much better now and some gear is at tech 4 but the multi resonator that cost me 33k well it fires slow even though it does dmg , does anyone have any advice for a good wepon setup I cant seem to find examples from experienced players anywhere thus far

Thanks again
David

Elias

Novice
Jim mentions about UMHOs in this thread and has pointed me here, I did notice that but what does umho stand for an should I have 3 of them in my 3 available wepon slots?

Thanks
David

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Elias said:
Jim mentions about UMHOs in this thread and has pointed me here, I did notice that but what does umho stand for an should I have 3 of them in my 3 available wepon slots?

Thanks
David

Get one and it will tell you what it stands for. Just get all multiresonators. If you find them, get all area effect damage instead (such as uhmo and the other othe with a name that escapes me).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom