Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Greatest scene in gaming history?

Cadmus

Arcane
I liked many of those posted here. One of my more memorable moments is the outro to Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, amazing voice acting and the character is exposed for what he is and hardened in his ways. Max Payne 2 had plenty of awesome cutscenes and I remember them to this day.

However mostly the scenes that stuck with me were some kind of emergent gameplay moment or just a particular moment in a game. I remember plenty moments of utter desperation in Flashpoint, standing on a hill in a sand storm in Morrowind as an outcast who had been hunted and not allowed to enter any city, I remember an amazing cooperation game of Advanced Warfighter with my friend on skype bailing me out while I was pinned down by an enemy fire, I remember the feeling of dread in Incubation, the complete humiliation of my classmate in CC Generals where I had a few buildings left standing and a Jarmen Kell and he kept sending Overlords one by one until I had an army of Overlords...the list goes on and those are the most amazing scenes imo.

First Fiend battle in Nocturne:

Dialogue with Adachi in Persona 4

Hitler in Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Alone in the Dark 2: Intro

Shadow of the Comet: intro, Jonas metting, incantating spell against his puppets, Cthulhu Cave, defeating Yog-Sothoth... Blah blah blah, this game is a one big cumfest

Ivan

Arcane
Having already experienced this, watching it now is like seeing a trainwreck happening in slow motion :(

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
So this is mostly a lot of cutscenes from some good ol' games, but one I really like from a newer game is the ending bit of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
where you need to perform the things that only the older brother could do earlier, using just the younger brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6PVXEYQCg&t=19m6s (from an LP, he sorta explains what is going on but I think he undersells it)
The reason I really like this, is that it is such a great way to utilize the rather unusual mechanic of controlling two people at once for storytelling purposes to signify that the younger brother is forced to grow up and take over the duties of his older brother, simply by having you use the control scheme of the older brother while you only have the younger available.
Like, you can't just show a video of the game by itself that explains what is going on, because it's storytelling through mechanics of the show-don't-tell variety that could not have been pulled off in another medium.
AND THAT MAKES ME POP A MASSIVE BONER:bounce:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
images

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From a underrated console rts. Not the deepest one gameplay-wise but I enjoyed the story. The game also had this old school rts charm to it. With that I mean, awesome cut scenes between all battles.

This one is my favorite:

So this is mostly a lot of cutscenes from some good ol' games, but one I really like from a newer game is the ending bit of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons[...][/spoiler]

On a similar note, near the ending of The Last of Us you get a prompt to give the girl a boost over a ledge so she can pull you up, like you've done many times through the game. Except she's in shock/depression since the ending of the other chapter and is spacing out on the other side of the room, which you'll only notice after going through the standard animation and standing still for a while. It was kinda nifty because like the PC you're expecting her to automatically say "OK!" and complete the jump, so both the player and the character will react with that "uh, isn't something supposed to happen right now" look.

The ending sequence was nice too, for being both surprising yet perfectly in character for the PC.

TL;DW: he chooses not to save the world. Also, he Han Solo'd his way out of the final boss fight :M

SumDrunkGuy

Not sure if the latter counts. It certainly plays out like an emotional game scene just, ya know, it's a boss fight too. Probably my favorite bit from the Souls games though.

Maschtervoz

Learned

And no one has been able to top this since, in gaming..... Mr Zeits :salute:

Nice pick. While the Myrkul dialogue is obviously the high point of the whole game, I've always been really fond of the scenes before and after it too, where you confront Araman and the Founder. Great writing all around and together they give a good perspective on the game's main themes and make a top tier extended narrative sequence, definitely among the best I've played through.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Apart from the obligatory Fallout ending sequence I got to name a few others. System Shock has the famous 'look at you' scene. At the time it was incredible to have the game's baddie contact you and taunt you. Loved it. Seal Team is an ancient tactical shooter that I was hooked on. One mission has you sneak up on a Viet Cong funeral to spring an ambush. The funeral is of a guy you killed earlier. That blew me away. Well, that and the for me unsettling experience of sneaking up on a group of people at a funeral to rip them to pieces with machinegun fire. Looking Glass was awesome and Terra Nova's final mission also ended with a bang. Fight through a huge base to plant a nuke. Then see how it all ends. Talking about amazing endings. Doom. That bunny, that music. ID knew what was what back then. Oh, and Mafia. A game filled with amazing set pieces and great scenes. Another blast of an ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom