Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
What's this, then?

The castle looks curiously quite a bit like Red Keep in the Game of Thrones TV show. Also boobplate with a cleavage, which means this game is sexist and should be banned.

Bitcher1

Cipher
Still no ingame pics?
I'm wondering if that circular hut is supposed to be anyway representative of the level of graphical fidelity they're aiming at. Could be p. spiffy looking game if so.
Also, it'd be really good news if they can afford to forego Kickstarter. Not just because it'd be a hard sell (Goldbox isn't exactly a hugely recognizable brand and I doubt it'd even be able to match the new Underworld performance), but also because it'd be quite troubling if after two years of supposed "RPG renaissance" developers still had to go beg for money every single time they tried to make one.
That said, having a kickstarter further into development, akin to Div:OS certainly need not be a bad idea.

Dorateen

Arcane
Treasures of the Savage Frontier introduced romances with NPCs who joined the party. And before that, in Dark Queen of Kryrnn, characters had the opportunity to forge a romance with another NPC, even receiving gifts as a token of their affection.

It will be amusing to see biodrones flaunt their ignorance about features SSI already introduced to the genre, and in a proper mature way.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
*bump*
r00fles this thread is already way back on page two.
Weren't they supposed to start the KS already?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
This developer post on the forums today:

Creating atmosphere in addition to solid game play mechanics is very important. Many games today take advantage of multiplayer but we’re looking forward to crafting a strong single player experience that rekindles those fond memories of old.

Could that be a shot at Sword Coast Legends?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Creating atmosphere in addition to solid game play mechanics is very important. Many games today take advantage of multiplayer but we’re looking forward to crafting a strong single player experience that rekindles those fond memories of old.

The punchline is probably....

by having elf romances! :happytrollboy:

Null Null

Arbiter

The punchline is probably....

by having elf romances! :happytrollboy:

Technically, Siulajia and Jabarkas were human.

I know, I know...

m_s0

Arcane
a05625e5-6218-4d49-ad3b-a5ddb6756e49.jpg

TSI Sparks Cross-Game Character Import/Export Initiative with inXile and HBS

RPG players will be able to transfer characters between RPGs via Tactical Simulations Interactive's "Gateway" initiative - First games include Shadowrun:Hong Kong and Torment: Tides of Numenera

Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI) today unveiled "Gateway" – a system that allows players to transfer their favorite characters across supported RPGs. The initiative will be rolled out in TSI’s debut title, Seven Dragon Saga – an original fantasy RPG for PC, Mac and Linux, based upon an original pen and paper role-playing system designed by former Strategic Simulations Interactive (SSI) alumni Keith Brors and David Shelley. Developers inXile and Harebrained Schemes have also announced support for Gateway, with more set to sign on in the coming months.

With Gateway, TSI is inviting RPG developers to take part in an initiative that hearkens back to the days of classic RPGs like The Bard’s Tale, Ultima and Wizardry -- a time when players could fully transfer their characters and parties into different games, without having to create them from scratch for each game.

"Gateway goes beyond being an import/export feature -- it represents a development philosophy that I enthusiastically endorse. By proposing and developing a data standard for game characters, TSI is establishing a stepping stone for independent CRPG developers to collaborate and share content and expertise . It is very much in the spirit of crowd funding and independent game development. As a fan of SSI's titles, I'm thrilled at their return through Seven Dragon Saga and am excited they are spearheading this initiative through Gateway,” said Kevin Saunders, Project Director, Torment: Tides of Numenera - inXile.

"I think there's a lot of gamers out there who've put a lot of time and effort into building their RPG characters and would love Gateway's export so they can continue their relationship," said Mitch Gitelman, Co-Founder, Studio Manager - Harebrained Schemes.
  1. “We are really excited about the initial reaction to Gateway from the development community and, as gamers ourselves, we love the idea of carrying across our characters and adventuring parties into different RPGs. said David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer,Seven Dragon Saga. "From a technical standpoint, we are proposing an independent appthat avoids any issues with an existing game's user interface and makes it a quick process for developers to add to their games."

2. Developers wishing to support Gateway in their games should contact Tactical Simulations Interactive: gateway@tsi-games.com

About Seven Dragon Saga

Seven Dragon Saga takes place in a high-powered fantasy universe, revolving around the Empire of the Seven Dragons, and TSI has today launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the game’s development. Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Sagaprovides the player with effective heroes right from the start, with TSI aiming to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI's ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

This is not a tale of farmers or aspiring novices learning how to swing a sword; Seven Dragon Saga is a tale about the use of power. Players will need to assemble a brave troupe of adventurers “touched by the winds of the chaos”. Known as the Touched, these brave adventurers will face the unknown, and embark on a quest to discover hidden truths and determine the fate of the Empire.

Seven Dragon Saga sets a new standard for intricate turn-based combat that can be adapted to your party's strengths. Explore a new high fantasy realm, recruit powerful NPCs, and craft useful items during your party's quest to discover lost secrets and transform the world. Key features include:

Classic RPG / Modern Gameplay: Create a full party under your total control right from the start. Venture forth to uncover lost secrets in an original fantasy setting.

Strategic Combat: Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.

Weigh Your Decisions: One group’s ally is another faction’s enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?

Proven Technology:Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

To keep updated on Seven Dragon Saga, visit:

http://www.tsi-games.com/seven-dragon-saga-tsi-games/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TSIGames
Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames

Copyright © 2015 Tactical Simulations Interactive, All rights reserved.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WAT. Wow, there really is an oldschool RPG cartel. :lol: That's awesome!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whoa that's nuts. This is like someone crazy idea for the internet in the early 90s

m_s0

Arcane
I wonder whether 'more' includes the Garriott-verse. No idea how (if) this is going to work, but it seems pretty neat on paper.

Athelas

Arcane
How would the Gateway thing even work? Different games have different character systems. Am I missing something obvious here?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How would the Gateway thing even work? Different games have different character systems. Am I missing something obvious here?

They could come up with some kind of wacky approximate conversion algorithm. That'd be fun to code.

Zetor

Arcane
This is one of the more crazy (and awesome) features of old 1980s-early 90s RPGs that never made a comeback... until now.

Aside from obvious transfers (BT1 -> BT2), you also had transfers across different RPGs from the same dev (BT1-2 -> Dragon Wars), and from spin-offs in other genres (Keys to Maramon -> Magic Candle 2, PoR -> Hillsfar). There were even some cross-dev transfers (BT again, with imports from Wizardry and Ultima). I seem to remember there being a game that was really wacky with its transfers -- you could transfer characters across genres!

edit: now I remember, it was Centauri Alliance. You could import characters from M&M1, Wizardry, Ultima, ...

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not sure I see the benefit of this. Unless there's a bunch of extras added for such characters (which I doubt), it'll essentially just be an auto-generated character in a new system from a bad algorithm, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom