Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkborn - action game from ex-DICE devs where you play a monster fighting against humans - CANCELED

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
https://www.pcgamer.com/former-payday-battlefield-developers-team-up-for-a-new-rpg/

Former Payday, Battlefield developers team up for a new RPG
Payday 2 Game Director David Goldfarb has announced that he's joined up with former Battlefield Executive Producer Ben Cousins to launch a new indie studio called The Outsiders, whose first project will be what he described as his "first real stab" at an RPG.

Goldfarb told Eurogamer that he's been working on the concept for a long time now, and decided to reach out to Cousins after he came to a point where he felt he couldn't continue moving forward on his own. Since leaving DICE, Cousins has become an advocate of free-to-play games, but Goldfarb said that doesn't necessarily mean that this game will be free-to-play.

"I'm not going to say that word," he said. "I'm not saying we're not doing it. But don't assume that we are. That would be the wrong assumption."

Goldfarb said he's interested in making a game with a dynamic story rather than one with a "set structure," something he said BioShock designer Ken Levine has been talking about recently. "I have another way I want to try and do that. But I think it won't be a game of cut scenes," he said. "If the guys at Naughty Dog want to go do that—and they're superb at what they craft—then that's awesome. I would rather find the stories that exist in... people use the sports analogy a lot, but when you play Madden, for example. The dream is to combine some of that with some of this."

There's not much to see at this point, but The Outsiders has launched a new website at www.theoutside.rs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stompa

Arcane
David Goldfarb

Nope, not even gonna pirate. Fucker run Payday 2 into the ground, I seriously doubt that he has competence for a full-blown RPG. Expect consolised popamole shit.

turul

Augur
"A Bioware thing".
I like that way of describing.

Goldfarb talked about watching players create chaos in Rust as something he found interesting. “I’m more interested in systems,” he said. “I don’t want to do a BioWare thing, because I actually liked the player telling their own story as they go. The stuff that interests me is finding this heavily systemic stuff that lets the player feel like they’re having an effect on the environment they’re in.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/former-payday-battlefield-developers-team-up-for-a-new-rpg/

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I don't get it.
Not so long ago, nobody was making RPG's. Excluding ports and JRPG's
I mean think about 2008 - what games were released back then?
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Geneforge 5
Silverfall
Divinity 2
Avernum 5
Sacred 2
DA:O
Risen

And what do we have announced or released in 2015:
The Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity
Torment
Darkest Dungeon
Blackguards 2
Sanctuary RPG
Kingdom Come
Serpent in Staglands
Grim Dawn
Bombshell
Sword Coast Legend
Northern Shadow(dunno what is it, found on the internet, probably shovelware but so is Silverfall)
Shadowrun:Hong Kong
Age of Decadence
Underrail

And I'm fairly sure I've still skipped a lot games(for example - I've didn't include another Vogel's remake that's bound to happen, or happened, whatever I don't keep track on it anymore).

Currently we're seeing more and more studios going on with their RPG games, both through crowdfunding and via normal ways.

It's a bubble am I right?

torpid

Liturgist
Activision CEO Robert "Bobby" Kotick has stepped down to pursue an old dream. "I've always wanted to make an old-school RPG," he said during a Q&A with journalists. "And none of that real time shit, either. Turn-based or go home."

zwanzig_zwoelf

March fools jokes incoming.
Peter Molyneux has stepped down to pursue an old dream. "I've always wanted to make an old-school RPG..." he said during a Q&A with journalists. "A sequel to Grimoire."

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get it.
Not so long ago, nobody was making RPG's. Excluding ports and JRPG's
I mean think about 2008 - what games were released back then?
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Geneforge 5
Silverfall
Divinity 2
Avernum 5
Sacred 2
DA:O
Risen

And what do we have announced or released in 2015:
The Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity
Torment
Darkest Dungeon
Blackguards 2
Sanctuary RPG
Kingdom Come
Serpent in Staglands
Grim Dawn
Bombshell
Sword Coast Legend
Northern Shadow(dunno what is it, found on the internet, probably shovelware but so is Silverfall)
Shadowrun:Hong Kong
Age of Decadence
Underrail

And I'm fairly sure I've still skipped a lot games(for example - I've didn't include another Vogel's remake that's bound to happen, or happened, whatever I don't keep track on it anymore).

Currently we're seeing more and more studios going on with their RPG games, both through crowdfunding and via normal ways.

It's a bubble am I right?

Most of the titles you've listed don't seem like shit to me (excluding Witcher 3, Bombshell and the like of course), so what I've said below doesn't apply to any specific title from your list.

Keeping this in mind, I think the reason for the RPG becoming fashionable is simple - gamification meets console action games.

If you make a first person shooter or behind-the-shoulder shooter, people buy it, play it, kill things and that's it. The best you can do from gamification perspective in single player - to give them stats for time player, enemies killed, weapons used, etc.

You can make a multiplayer action game, then your opportunities to gamify the experience grow - you can add points, leaderboards, badges (PBL) to the experience, to keep players hooked, because who doesn't want to show off his achievements, score, etc.

But once you add the illusion of complexity by calling your action game "RPG" you can give your players the full gamification treatment: PBL, XP, levels(!), and technically you are calling yourself an RPG so the leaders in the "action" genre are supposedly not your competition.

The bottom line - the contemporary action game feels sorta incomplete unless you slap some "levels" and "xp" and call it an RPG :) This is the world where Dragon Age moves form RPG to an action game, and the general public considers this to be a good thing.

And it's not a bubble, I think it's just a new way to market action games. The sad thing from my (our) perspective is that it's an attack on the meaning of words. "RPG" should not stand for "a game where a shitty punk cyborg Lara Croft shoots things" and "RPG player" should not stand for "a consoletard" but apparently that's the trend for now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

http://www.pcgamer.com/ex-battlefield-devs-announce-viking-horror-game-project-wight/

Ex-Battlefield devs announce Viking horror game Project Wight
See the world through the eyes of a forgotten four-legged species.

The Outsiders is a recently-formed independent studio co-founded by ex-DICE and Overkill veteran David Goldfarb. It's just announced its first project, known for now as 'Project Wight', which is "set in an alternate history of the early Viking era" where humans share the world with a near-extinct four-legged species of intelligent creatures.

"What's unique about our game is that you see the world through the eyes these creatures," explains Goldfarb in the following introductory teaser. It then demos a young beast crawling around on all fours, hiding behind rocks, leaping from bridges and scrambling behind hidden rock crevices, as unruly Vikings set about its father with sharp weapons. Ouch.

"As you move around the tunnels that these creatures inhabit," adds Goldfarb, "you'll see what humans have done to your kind over the years." Which you then of course seek payback for towards the trailer's end as a blood-thirsty, Viking-hunting adult creature.

There's not much else to go on for now, however the premise of playing a non-human in a world dominated by them is interesting. At this early stage, I hope there's more to its plot than the well-worn 'avenge my death' rhetoric, although I must admit the combat shown above does look like great fun. Expect more on this 'un as we get it.

Gaunt_Piotr_Fighting_Cave_Crop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifarka

Arcane
I didn't notice it was made with Unity until the final credits -that's good.
The flying monster looks fun but the other requires good AI (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case if we are to judge by the camp fight) and level design to work properly; it may end up being an entertaining game with some shitty segments. The idea of Aliens vs Predator vs Vikings is nice anyhow.

The Fish

Arcane
What's unique about our game is that you see the world through the eyes these creatures

So, not the gameplay then? What's the point in a melee action game in which the attacks are automated, during which you have no control? Also, the camera looks jittery when starting and stopping movement.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The whole pushing enemies off cliffs thing reminded me of Dark Messiah, so I guess I'll be sort of keeping my eye on this one.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would rather play as the vikings, maybe in a squad and go hunt those beasts. Setting looks cool.

Beowulf

Arcane
I would rather play as the vikings, maybe in a squad and go hunt those beasts. Setting looks cool.

That would be cool indeed. But I believe that they were inspired more by the Grendel's point of view in this adaptation of the story.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom